• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Q8D3vil said:
thanks, will try it now
and happy bday :)

Thanks!

Ashour said:
happy birthday man. nothing wrong with that as long as you're enjoying it :)

Thanks man. I do enjoy it, it's pretty fun.

DemonNite said:
Ok guys, I know this might be impossible but I'll ask anyway...

I've been playing the game at work on my work PC using a 9800GTX. However, I want to continue playing the game when at home. The problem is that I have a very old ATI X1900XTX in my home pc and the game doesn't work properly (the floor in outside environments are missing for example).

I know this is a very old card and that ATI have stopped supporting it with drivers but I'm hoping there might be a user.ini tweak to disable some options to render it correctly. I don't have a problem about low fps or low resolutions... I just have a problem when it doesn't render the floor at all lol.

I won't be able to upgrade the card at home just yet but would love to play the game at work and at home. So guys... any suggestions which user.ini tweak might stop the floor from fucking up?

Indoor is ok
DAoVX.png

Outdoor has missing floors
2Ubzu.png

Also, notice the strange oddity next to his feet? that follows him everywhere!

Try this:
Witcher 2 Xbox 360 Version said:
[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=512
MaxAtlasTextureSize=512
TextureMemoryBudget=250
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=256
MaxCubeShadowCount=1
MaxSpotShadowSize=256
MaxSpotShadowCount=1
FoliageDistanceScale=0.5
MeshDistanceScale=0.6
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=0
AllowAntialias=0
AllowBlur=0
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=0.7
AllowVignette=0
AllowSharpen=0
AllowRain=0
AllowSSAO=0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=1
ShadowedLights=1
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

That might fix it. Probably not. The X1900 XTX is a 5 year old card that had trouble with Oblivion, let alone Witcher 2.If ATI doesn't even have current drivers for it, it's likely not going to work with Witcher 2.

Just spend $100 and upgrade to a Radeon 5830, that'd be my advice.

hteng

Banned
sorry if this is not allowed, can anyone host the retail paul.dll and witcher2.exe files? i kinda replaced mine and now i can't patch the game.

Schlomo

Is gameplay DOF disabled in Vergen? In Flotsam I can see a clear difference between setting it on and off, but in Vergen the mountains and trees in the far distance are always kind of ugly/pixelated.

epmode

hteng said:
oh right, do i keep my saves?
Most games keep the saves around during an uninstall. Or they'll ask if you want to remove them.

To be safe, copy the saves elsewhere and move them back after the reinstall. In Windows 7, they're in Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves

Q8D3vil

i reinstalled nvidia driver ( because i removed the 3d vision driver) and now the game run in 10 fps (installed latest patch and nvidia beta driver).

hteng

Banned
epmode said:
Most games keep the saves around during an uninstall. Or they'll ask if you want to remove them.

To be safe, copy the saves elsewhere and move them back after the reinstall. In Windows 7, they're in Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves

cool, just reinstalled the game, its patching now

For the guys posting the .ini tewaks. Could you make some sample videos and upload to youtube? A place like Flotsam with lots of foliage could ilustrate very well the potential benefits of the tweaks.

In my experience i can't see the lod cascade pushed farther than what you get using the highest setting on the launcher.

Angst

Any word about a controller fix? I want to start playing again... it's not the same when I can't read the journal entries. :'(

Angst said:
Any word about a controller fix? I want to start playing again... it's not the same when I can't read the journal entries. :'(
Can you use the mouse wheel to scroll the journal entries? I can on mine, it's a pain having to lean forward but it works.

clarifying edit: I'm playing with a wired 360 pad but I can use the mouse wheel to scroll journal entries.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Happy Birthday Boobphysics101 ! I'd nominate you for a tag for this thread alone you helpful dh'oine :p

Seems like all the 'free' DLC that was floating around has been broken again with the latest patch (or something got updated server side). Now you need the pre-order codes to activate each piece of DLC. My blue stripes garb still works, but then again it was the only thing I got working in the first place. Troll Trouble is also broken for me but i'm already on Chapter 2 now (really should have been included in the game since it seems substantial enough).

Truant

Edgeward said:
No, you need the right analog. D-pad does not scroll the text.

Mousewheel lets you do this, as a workaround. I have the mouse right next to my gamepad, it doesn't really bother me.

Yurt said:
Happy Birthday Boobphysics101 ! I'd nominate you for a tag for this thread alone you helpful dh'oine :p

Thanks man! Did you ever upgrade to your new rig without giving away your kidney to pay the outrageous Oz prices? Haha

Tags are scary in the same way that having a big noticeable pimple on your face was during high school - you know it's there, you feel like everyone else knows it's there, and it's almost always shameful. Plus I think you need to post a story about shaving your cat's ass into the shape of the Triforce or accidentally banging your cousin or something in Off-Topic to get a tag.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I just turned Bloom on and I fucking love it !

BoobPhysics101 said:
Thanks man! Did you ever upgrade to your new rig without giving away your kidney to pay the outrageous Oz prices? Haha

Tags are scary in the same way that having a big noticeable pimple on your face was during high school - you know it's there, you feel like everyone else knows it's there, and it's almost always shameful. Plus I think you need to post a story about shaving your cat's ass into the shape of the Triforce or accidentally banging your cousin or something in Off-Topic to get a tag.

Haha I did ! I bought an i5 2500k with P867. I'm pulling 50-60 fps on Ultra without even OCing anything.

I wanna flash my Radeon 6950 but I don't wanna void my warranty -_- Is it safe ?

Yurt said:
I just turned Bloom on and I fucking love it !

Haha I did ! I bought an i5 2500k with P867. I'm pulling 50-60 fps on Ultra without even OCing anything.

I wanna flash my Radeon 6950 but I don't wanna void my warranty -_- Is it safe ?

Just overclock to 4 Ghz for now, you really don't need much more.

Yeah, it's safe as long as you follow the directions exactly. With luck, you'll be able to unlock to a 6970 (fuck yeah status).

taranatar

BoobPhysics101 said:
Just overclock to 4 Ghz for now, you really don't need much more.

Yeah, it's safe as long as you follow the directions exactly. With luck, you'll be able to unlock to a 6970 (fuck yeah status).

Boobphysics would you mind making me an ini profile please.

2500k @ 4.7ghz
gtx 570 oced
4gb ram

also do i need to enable anything in nvidia control panel?

cheers bud!

Angst

Truant said:
Mousewheel lets you do this, as a workaround. I have the mouse right next to my gamepad, it doesn't really bother me.
That works? I swear I've tried every key on my keyboard, but never tried the mouse - with no pointer I figured it was disabled. Cool, thanks for the tip!

beast786 said:
Bleeding Light Issue.

Anyone knows another way to handle it. I use Nvidia Sli setup and the one in OP does not work.
It does not work as in fully utilizing your gpus right? Default sli is full utilization but with the horrible bleeding, AFR2 is 60% utilization without the bleeding.

I'm on 2 480s with the latest beta drivers using Inspector.

Pirkaf

hi guys sorry for interrupting but I was wondering if someone can help me with a graphical error, basically the limits of the texture tiles are way too visible (or I think that is). I tried uninstalling drivers, underclocking etc but nothing seems to work. My specs are:

ATI 3870 HD 512MB 850\1250
AMD X2 5000 @3000
4 GB RAM

here's a screenshot, http://i52.tinypic.com/15y6loi.jpg

Thanks in advance or anyway!

mxgt

Banned
Ugh, this hanging issue is really annoying me now.

At seemingly random intervals when I either transition through area or houses or when I quick save or when I press esc to save the game will hang and I have to go to the task manager.

I can get back in the game but then it runs at like 10fps and this issue then makes ALL of my games run like shit and I have to reboot to fix it. It's like the hang makes my graphics card operate at half the potential.

I don't know if this is a Witcher or PC issue but none of my other games cause this problem.

I've tried different texture memory budgets in the config (I use a GTX 570) to seemingly no avail.

Any tips? maybe a memory leak issue?

mxgt said:
Ugh, this hanging issue is really annoying me now.

At seemingly random intervals when I either transition through area or houses or when I quick save or when I press esc to save the game will hang and I have to go to the task manager.

I can get back in the game but then it runs at like 10fps and this issue then makes ALL of my games run like shit and I have to reboot to fix it. It's like the hang makes my graphics card operate at half the potential.

I don't know if this is a Witcher or PC issue but none of my other games cause this problem.

I've tried different texture memory budgets in the config (I use a GTX 570) to seemingly no avail.

Any tips? maybe a memory leak issue?
When its hanging when you go to the pause menu it is usually because your save folder has gotten too big. Try deleting old saves from the save folder and see if that fixes it.

guys first time i am using Radeonpro how do I enable Double Vsync in this game? for the retail version. I have it on in the tweaks setting but it does not seem to work.

Despera

Banned
Akkad said:
Is there a way to make the font or menu options bigger?
Found this on another forum and tried it myself:

btw if some1 is interested Bigger font mod (may have bugs, was made for self-use).

http://www.mediafire.com/?fnkhn7i9rk9v9g1

Put it on: (backup default one)
The Witcher 2\CookedPC\globals\gui\fonts

Bigger fonts, biggest possible i think without destroying the whole text (its still a little cut on really long name items b4 looting, but apart from that i think its fine).

At least on spanish we dont have voices.... (or at least my english level its not enough to hear voices while playing and understand them) and subtitles r ****ing small for TVs ><.
I'm playing the game on a 40" TV, and the text was annoying to read from a distance. This was a great help.

teiresias

Anyone know what a good config file for 2xSLI GTX460 1GB would be? I also suppose I should just use the force AFR2 in the Nvidia CP rather than the custom bits, because the indoor lighting bug is awful.

I uninstalled the game a few days back waiting for stuff to settle down, but now I'm in the middle of Darksiders but may just want to get it downloaded now that the patch is out, but are there still issues with the 360 controller with the current patch?

Akkad

Banned
Despera said:

I'm playing the game on a 40" TV, and the text was annoying to read from a distance. This was a great help.

Thank you, will try it.

gdt

Pulling 30-40 fps in Flotsam using Boob's Ultra config. Have no idea how my DV6 is doing it, but I'm ecstatic.

Aeana

I was bored, so I started playing around with the settings in the INI and in the configurator.
It's pretty strange, but it seems that whether I set it on the highest settings (without ubersampling of course) or the lowest settings, I get exactly the same framerates, give or take maybe 10 frames. It actually seems impossible for me to get 60 FPS in this game, even on low. I guess logic dictates that I'm limited by something other than my GPU. CPU, I guess? I have an Athlon II X4 640 3GHz.

It doesn't really bother me, I guess; I'm cool playing on ultra with the framerate limited to 30 (although for some reason, certain spots in the Vergan pub take me down to 23-25 FPS - yes, even on low!). Just struck me as odd.

EDIT: Oh, for the record I have a GTX 560.

Q8D3vil

Aeana said:
I was bored, so I started playing around with the settings in the INI and in the configurator.
It's pretty strange, but it seems that whether I set it on the highest settings (without ubersampling of course) or the lowest settings, I get exactly the same framerates, give or take maybe 10 frames. It actually seems impossible for me to get 60 FPS in this game, even on low. I guess logic dictates that I'm limited by something other than my GPU. CPU, I guess? I have an Athlon II X4 640 3GHz.

It doesn't really bother me, I guess; I'm cool playing on ultra with the framerate limited to 30 (although for some reason, certain spots in the Vergan pub take me down to 23-25 FPS - yes, even on low!). Just struck me as odd.
i have i7 2xgtx 570 and i'm having the same problem.
the game just don't run smoothly 60 fps.
its stupid.

hteng

Banned
ok after the patch, i can play in sub HD (720p) with all settings on high spec.

GTX 460m with nvidia beta driver
i7-QM740

getting 30-40 and sometimes 20s in very very populated area (like the Elven fountain). In general, very awesome, i prefer the game at 720p rather than 1920p with low spec settings.

Shawsie64

Banned
Got the GoG version and its telling me the game is invalid or not supported when I try to patch it :(

Iv tried the GoG 9mb patch and the slightly bigger international patch to no avail..

Any suggestions?

Ashour

Despera said:

thank you very much. my eyes will bleed if I go on playing with the small text.

will try once I go home.

Minsc

Gold Member
Despera said:

Great, first I've seen of such a mod. I think the text is a tad small even on my monitor, but I'd rather not have it all size 40 fonts. Still, a nice option for HDTVs.

gdt

Had to turn on subtitles in this game :(. The audio/dialog levels are so fucked up. The background drowns all the dialog out.

Minsc

Gold Member
gdt5016 said:
Had to turn on subtitles in this game :(. The audio/dialog levels are so fucked up. The background drowns all the dialog out.

I've been playing with headphones and it seems fine to me. Only in chapter one so far, but no complaints yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
Aeana said:

EDIT: Oh, for the record I have a GTX 560.

Yeah, that would usually be an indication of being CPU limited.

Still kind of surprising with a quad-core Athlon, though...unless the game doesn't make efficient use of 4 threads at certain points.

suikodan

Despera said:

NICE. Thanks for the tip.

Playing on a 46" and I need to be close to the screen to read the stuff.

Top Bottom