• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Inkwell

Banned
For the life of me I couldn't get this game running smoothly. I have an i5 750 with a GTX 460. When I looked at that list in the op, I felt like I should be getting 30-40 fps with the settings I had chosen. That's when I actually decided to see what my frame rate was. It looks like PC gaming has spoiled me since I was getting anywhere between 30 and 45 fps. Since then I've turned off a few more advanced settings to keep that number a bit higher. This is only the beginning area though since I haven't actually started to play this.

By the way, I should have the texture memory setting at High right? I have 1 GB of memory with my card. I feel like some examples should be given for that in the settings info in the op.

gdt

Minsc said:
I've been playing with headphones and it seems fine to me. Only in chapter one so far, but no complaints yet.

I play on a 5.1 set, love it. Can't really do headphones :/. Maybe it a 5.1 problem? I play on my tv, when has a out to my receiver. How would it work if I connected my laptop to my receiver?

Ok, I have bootcamp running on my 2011 17" Macbook Pro (2.3Ghz Quad i7, 8GB ram, AMD 6750M with 1Gb Ram, Win7 x64). The only thing I've really found on GAF/Internet is a youtube vid of a dude overclocking the graphics on a 15" Macbook pro and it running ok, but most of the stuff he shows is indoors, and when he goes back to normal clock-speeds, it's all indoor footage, not reflective of the game as a whole at stock speeds.

Will it be a reasonable experience on these specs with reasonable graphics settings, or should I wait for the Xbox announcement of a Witcher game at E3? If someone says go for it, what settings would you recommend I run? I usually game on this system at 720p, don't really have an issue with the graphics not running at native res.

I keep hovering over the buy button on Steam, but I don't want a bad experience, or to have to fiddle with graphic settings constantly, just want to boot up, set it, get some pretty graphics and go.

What's the verdict Gaf? plunge or wait?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nihilistic Monk said:
Ok, I have bootcamp running on my 2011 17" Macbook Pro (2.3Ghz 8GB ram, AMD 6750M, Win7 x64). The only thing I've really found on GAF/Internet is a youtube vid of a dude overclocking the graphics on a 15" Macbook pro and it running ok, but most of the stuff he shows is indoors, and when he goes back to normal clock-speeds, it's all indoor footage, not reflective of the game as a whole at stock speeds.

Will it be a reasonable experience on these specs with reasonable graphics settings, or should I wait for the Xbox announcement of a Witcher game at E3? If someone says go for it, what settings would you recommend I run? I usually game on this system at 720p, don't really have an issue with the graphics not running at native res.

I keep hovering over the buy button on Steam, but I don't want a bad experience, or to have to fiddle with graphic settings constantly, just want to boot up, set it, get some pretty graphics and go.

Is the CPU a dual or a quad core? If dual, don't bother. If quad, I dunno, really!

Do it imho, you should get decent performance from that with high settings.

Especially if your only running at 720p... on your hdtv?

Update the graphics drivers to the hotfix version on your Win7 boot.

Minsc

Gold Member
Inkwell said:
By the way, I should have the texture memory setting at High right? I have 1 GB of memory with my card. I feel like some examples should be given for that in the settings info in the op.

No downsampling / Very High for me w/ my 1GB, no problems, would think you'd be fine with that as well. The settings info in the OP is just a copy/paste from the readme.txt in the GOG version (didn't notice it w/ Steam), might have been confusing, so I clarified that in the OP. A lot of people were asking what things did, so it seems useful to have there.

As to your framerate issues, for me the game doesn't really feel too smooth ~30fps, I need 45-60, and luckily get that fine with Ultra settings, minus bloom (which I don't like) and uber.

scorpscarx said:
Do it imho, you should get decent performance from that with high settings.

Especially if your only running at 720p... on your hdtv?

Update the graphics drivers to the hotfix version on your Win7 boot.

Yeh, I either connect to the TV, or just run 720p on the laptop display. (especially if gaming in bed!)

I know it's not native, but it really doesn't look too bad to my eyes. I don't care about it looking amazing and having every graphical whistle and bell, as long as it looks decent and runs smoothly.

For comparison, I can run Crysis 2 on this at 720p, 30FPS+ on very high.

I've read about the hotfix update, I have 11.5 on at the moment. Is it a completely new driver, or some sort of patch file? On the AMD site, I can still only find 11.5, not the 11.5a version.

scorpscarx said:
Do you run it a lower res in an attempt to keep the bottom of the laptop from frying your stomach? I remember mine was hot as hell, but I also remember that it never died even when I gamed at full speed for DAYS at a time.

Cheers for the link. I run at 720p to just get the frame-rate up. Mafia 2 & Crysis 2 are pretty janky at 1920x1200, but run sweet enough at 720p, and it still looks sweet to my eyes. Maybe I just don't know the sweet spot to set on Resolution Vs Quality settings. I'd rather have lower Res and more options enabled I guess...

The thing does get hot though, playing Crysis 2, I managed to overheat my Power Supply because it was wedged down the sofa. You could have fried an egg on it, stopped working for an hour, but luckily sprang back to life after that... :)

Yeah give the power supply and the system a lot of cool air, and play it on a level surface if you can.

Worst case scenario the video card will reach its heat limit, but when that happens it automatically disables itself to prevent damage, and the screen will go black, and you have to reboot.

Jomjom

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Do you run it a lower res in an attempt to keep the bottom of the laptop from frying your stomach? I remember mine was hot as hell, but I also remember that it never died even when I gamed at full speed for DAYS at a time.

Those mbp's are well designed and can handle stress, don't worry too much about stressing it.

Umm yea they're hotfix drivers, just dl and install..

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/203...atalyst_11.5b_hotfix_8.85.6rc5_win7_may25.exe

I'm not really familiar with the hotfixes. Are you supposed to uninstall 11.5 and then install 11.5b or do you just install 11.5b on top of 11.5 without an uninstall?

jling84 said:
I'm not really familiar with the hotfixes. Are you supposed to uninstall 11.5 and then install 11.5b or do you just install 11.5b on top of 11.5 without an uninstall?

Some people here will rush to say that you should, then run a driver sweeper, then reinstall.

You don't have to at all... just download it and install, you don't even need to restart.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nihilistic Monk said:
Ok, I have bootcamp running on my 2011 17" Macbook Pro (2.3Ghz Quad i7, 8GB ram, AMD 6750M with 1Gb Ram, Win7 x64). The only thing I've really found on GAF/Internet is a youtube vid of a dude overclocking the graphics on a 15" Macbook pro and it running ok, but most of the stuff he shows is indoors, and when he goes back to normal clock-speeds, it's all indoor footage, not reflective of the game as a whole at stock speeds.

People are running it just fine, on thee 6770M and that's just an overclocked 6750M.

Bottom line is that your GPU will run the game with higher settings than what the 360 version will be shoehorned into, whenever that happens.

K.Jack said:
People are running it just fine, on thee 6770M and that's just an overclocked 6750M.

Bottom line is that your GPU will run the game with higher settings than what the 360 version will be shoehorned into, whenever that happens.

Ok, thanks duders, I'm convinced. Will purchase from Steam and let you know how I get on.

gdt

Nihilistic Monk said:
Ok, thanks duders, I'm convinced. Will purchase from Steam and let you know how I get on.

Yeah, the game runs amazing on my 6770. 25-35fps (using Boob's Ultra config!) in the prologue, 30-40 in Flotsam. Gets even higher (I've hit 50 outside, 60 indoors). I don't know how it's doing it, but it is. My dv6 doesn't even get mega loud or hot or anything.

yeah I am also running on a laptop i7 with 460m

originally I ran 720p and in some places like dungeons it looks fine, but the outdoor areas look stunning in 1080p like the foliage and trees. I found high ran decent with usual suspects off (SSAO etc)

JohngPR

gdt5016 said:
Had to turn on subtitles in this game :(. The audio/dialog levels are so fucked up. The background drowns all the dialog out.

I turned the music down to 5 and that seemed to help.

taranatar

Managed to get it running at a constand 50-60 fps thanks to Boobyphysics and the new Nvidia drivers.

Quite pleased how it looks and runs now :)

What a fantastic game.

bwtw

Neo Member
So I've got a 6950 as graphics card but a Phenom II X2 550 as a processor and although I've only in the flashback sequence atm, it's running pretty sluggishly (using the 6950 custom config in OP). I presume this is a CPU issue?

Minsc

Gold Member
Melhisedek said:
Any config recommendations for 5850 card (1Gig)

Should be able to do Ultra with a couple things off (Bloom and uber for starters). You could try the Ultra+ Config profile here and just turn back shadows / lod stuff to the one above it, maybe one or two other things. Otherwise just pick the high preset and set your texture related stuff to the maximum settings, but you'll probably get better fps by following that link.

Aurarian

Akkad said:
New Nvidia drivers are out today 275.33.

No difference that I can see here between this and 275.27. A Nvidia rep posted this on the driver feedback thread for 275.33.
NVIDIA rep said:
The next driver will contain some driver optimizations for this game. We are also working with the developers of this game to further improve performance.

Hopefully that means we'll be seeing some nice performance increases soon.

LiK

Aurarian said:
No difference that I can see here between this and 275.27. A Nvidia rep posted this on the driver feedback thread for 275.33.

Cool, I didn't use the beta so I hope to see more improvements. :D

Wow, Witcher 2 is flying on my new M17x R3 w/6970M. With higher settings than I was running on my G73, the game is hitting 55-75 FPS constant vs. 30-45 FPS constant for the G73, both @ 1080p. Very impressive.

SSAO really is an FPS killer though. Easily costs 10-20 FPS on average. I wonder if CDP can optimize it for less of a performance hit.

bwtw said:
So I've got a 6950 as graphics card but a Phenom II X2 550 as a processor and although I've only in the flashback sequence atm, it's running pretty sluggishly (using the 6950 custom config in OP). I presume this is a CPU issue?

Yes. The game is made for 3-4 core CPU's, and a dual core is definitely a bottleneck.

bwtw

Neo Member
Possibly the wrong thread for it, but any recommendations on a potential CPU upgrade? Basically something that will make the game perform 'up to par' to the graphics card.

knitoe

bwtw said:
Possibly the wrong thread for it, but any recommendations on a potential CPU upgrade? Basically something that will make the game perform 'up to par' to the graphics card.
Get a Intel 2500K and overclock it to 4.5GHz or more.

Hawk269

The new Nvidia drivers apperently fix the issue they had with the 3d thing. From what I read, it does nothing else for the game...but they did have a patch that improved performance, but it caused issues with other games, so they are holding it back for sometime in june as part of one of the beta's.

All I need is proper SLI scalling in the damn game. I get the same FPS with or without SLI (about 5fps difference in total).

I know that if they got scalling proper and CDPR optomized it a bit more I could get 60fps in Uber!

Randomizer

bwtw said:

Your processor can possibly be unlocked to a Phenom II x4 955 if you have the right motherboard. Although it isn't always guaranteed, I have the x2 555 and was unable to unlock but it is possible.

Check here for support motherboards:
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-official-amd-k10-5-core-cache.html

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
anyone heard of a mod that will let you move gerald to the left of center more like the witcher 1?
I really dislike having him dead center like other games.

TheExodu5

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Not to derail thread any further, but would an Intel 2500k overclocked to 4.5 GHz be faster or slower than an i7 that's clocked at 4.0 GHz?

Faster by a decent margin (it's about 15% faster clock-for-clock...so around 30% faster)...but neither will be a bottleneck in any game right now, besides maybe emulation. A last gen i7 at 4.0GHz is way more than The Witcher 2 needs.

Surfheart

Inkwell said:
For the life of me I couldn't get this game running smoothly. I have an i5 750 with a GTX 460. When I looked at that list in the op, I felt like I should be getting 30-40 fps with the settings I had chosen. That's when I actually decided to see what my frame rate was. It looks like PC gaming has spoiled me since I was getting anywhere between 30 and 45 fps. Since then I've turned off a few more advanced settings to keep that number a bit higher. This is only the beginning area though since I haven't actually started to play this.

Did you uninstall the 3d vision driver?

bwtw

Neo Member
knitoe said:
Get a Intel 2500K and overclock it to 4.5GHz or more.
Obv got an AMD board atm...how troublesome/costly would the new motherboard be? When factoring that in would it just be better upgrading to a better AMD CPU? (Bare in mind I know nothing about hardware)

Hawk269

Surfheart said:
Did you uninstall the 3d vision driver?

If he has the new Nvidia drivers that came out today he does not have to unistall the 3d vision driver because they fixed that issue.

En-ou

getting super smooth fps with these high settings, thanks to some base settings from boob, i made a few tiny changes. and i dont get any pop in etc. oh and i am playing 1080p on 40 inch tv!! :D

xfx 5770 1 GB overclocked
c2quad q6700
4gb ram
win 7 ult 64

[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=700
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=2
FoliageDistanceScale=1.0
MeshDistanceScale=1.0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=0
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=0
AllowSharpen=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=2
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

rogue74

Aurarian said:

I'm happy Nvidia is working with CDP on this, but shouldn't they have been working with them prior to release and had optimized drivers ready? The main reason I ask is that this game carries that "Nvidia - The way it's meant to be played" logo.

Guys, sorry if this has been beaten to death by now, but I've checked many pages and I'm getting more confused.

I'm thinking of buying a brand new PC in September but what I have right now is:

Intel Q6600 processor
6 GB RAM
512 MB GeForce 8800 GT <-- this is my problem

The benchmarks from the OP are from Very High settings with AA, etc.

I'm too impatient to wait for a new computer (if it even happens) to play this game, so will it run decently at LOW? As long as it doesn't look worse than the first game, I don't care.

Again, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. Thanks!

Aurarian

rogue74 said:
I'm happy Nvidia is working with CDP on this, but shouldn't they have been working with them prior to release and had optimized drivers ready? The main reason I ask is that this game carries that "Nvidia - The way it's meant to be played" logo.

I agree with you. They should have had drivers for the game out before it came out or very close after release. All we can do now is wait though.

fizzelopeguss said:
They had a driver out that improved performance....what? a day after release?

No, that was a beta driver release which I believe fixed the 3D Vision driver problems that screwed with Witcher 2 performance regardless of whether or not you were using 3D Vision in game(Actually, you still had to uninstall 3D Vision). That's been taken care of supposedly(not really)in the new release. The SLI issue still remains as well. The next release is suppose to give us increased performance for I assume both single card and SLI setups.

IndieJones said:
Guys, sorry if this has been beaten to death by now, but I've checked many pages and I'm getting more confused.

I'm thinking of buying a brand new PC in September but what I have right now is:

Intel Q6600 processor
6 GB RAM
512 MB GeForce 8800 GT <-- this is my problem

The benchmarks from the OP are from Very High settings with AA, etc.

I'm too impatient to wait for a new computer (if it even happens) to play this game, so will it run decently at LOW? As long as it doesn't look worse than the first game, I don't care.

Again, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. Thanks!
These are minimum specs so I'd assume you would be able to play on low.
* 2.2GHz dual-core processor
* 1GB RAM (XP), 2GB RAM (Vista/7)
* GeForce 8800 series w/ 512MB VRAM or comparable ATI/AMD GPU

Sylarkiller

Neo Member
Hi, n00b to the forum, I am having issues with this game. I have an iMac, running bootcamp and this game is running horrendously slow for me. I turned everything to minimum and still it chugs along. Here are my specs, ripped from "can you run it?"

CPU: You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06GHz
CPU Speed: You Have: 3.1 GHz
RAM: You Have: 3.7 GB
OS: You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
VIDEO CARD: You Have: GeForce 9400
Attributes of your Video Card
You Have
Video RAM :1.8 GB
Pixel Shader version: 4.0
Vertex Shader version: 4.0
Free Disk Space: You Have: 89.9 GB

Now the website says I should be able to run the game and then some but it is REALLY slow for me, can you offer any advice as to why it is slow? Did the website bullshit me and my computer is too slow to run it? Should I cut my losses and wait for the 360 version?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Crisco

Banned
So I just got this game yesterday and am pretty impressed by it's performance. I'm running it at:

Ultra w/uber off
16xAF enabled via nVidia control panel
Vsync + triple bufffering
1920x1080

while I haven't measured my framerates, it's very smooth with no slowdown during combat so I'm guessing at least a stable 30FPS. It looks absolutely fantastic on my 60" 1080p HDTV. My system isn't really high end by today's standards, basically a stock i7-920 , 4GB of RAM (because one my 2GB sticks died), and an overclocked GTX 560 Ti 1GB. I probably won't even bother with the user.ini, the game looks/performs great.

Vestal

Sylarkiller said:
Hi, n00b to the forum, I am having issues with this game. I have an iMac, running bootcamp and this game is running horrendously slow for me. I turned everything to minimum and still it chugs along. Here are my specs, ripped from "can you run it?"

CPU: You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06GHz
CPU Speed: You Have: 3.1 GHz
RAM: You Have: 3.7 GB
OS: You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
VIDEO CARD: You Have: GeForce 9400
Attributes of your Video Card
You Have
Video RAM :1.8 GB
Pixel Shader version: 4.0
Vertex Shader version: 4.0
Free Disk Space: You Have: 89.9 GB

Now the website says I should be able to run the game and then some but it is REALLY slow for me, can you offer any advice as to why it is slow? Did the website bullshit me and my computer is too slow to run it? Should I cut my losses and wait for the 360 version?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Umm not necessarly.. that video card is meh... However I would run driver cleaner and install the latest Nvidia drivers and try then.

It looks like your video card is using shared memory, since the 9400 comes with 512 standard memory.

Top Bottom