• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Exuro

Zefah said:
Does anyone know if there's a mod that lets you play on Insanity difficulty without the save game deletion aspect?

I checked the big thread on GOG, but there doesn't appear to be one there.

These new revisions are making me want to start up a third run, but I've already beat it on Normal and Hard.
I got shunned for asking for a toggle perma death mode but still stand by it. CDPR said the AI acts differently on Insane mode and would love to try it out, but hate the idea of losing hours of gameplay from some cheap death.

Van Owen

Banned
I haven't popped in this thread since I got my new computer.

So the 1.1 update makes it unnecessary to change the exe to the gog version from my steam version?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Exuro said:
I got shunned for asking for a toggle perma death mode but still stand by it. CDPR said the AI acts differently on Insane mode and would love to try it out, but hate the idea of losing hours of gameplay from some cheap death.

Yeah, I've never really seen the appeal of permanent death options, although I can kind of see why people want the option in PvP MMORPGs and similar online games with persistent characters.

Eusis

The patch introduced lights shining through everything for me. Probably need to downgrade my 4870 drivers given this wasn't happening even with the hotfix.

Van Owen said:
I haven't popped in this thread since I got my new computer.

So the 1.1 update makes it unnecessary to change the exe to the gog version from my steam version?

I'm pretty sure that was never necessary, it only improved performance for the D2D and Retail versions of the game, as they had SecuROM. But yeah, 1.1 fixed that issue for everyone.

DMPrince said:
is GOG update up?

My GOG version automatically downloaded it into the launcher. But the launcher just says "1.2 Ready to install." Do I need to go into the files and install it manually?

Nevermind, just had to to to the My Documents folder and run the .exe from "Downloads" in The Witcher folder.

mileS

Eusis said:
The patch introduced lights shining through everything for me. Probably need to downgrade my 4870 drivers given this wasn't happening even with the hotfix.

are you running crossfire? I'm almost positive that it was a crossfire only problem. I dunno I find this strange because nobody else has mentioned this yet.

IronRinn

I was just glad to see this:

"8. Analog sticks on gamepads now work correctly in the GUI panels."

Can anyone confirm that all is working as it did before 1.1?

Aurarian

Easy_D said:
Launcher downloaded the patch, but how do I install it?
Should be something on the launcher itself that says "Patch 1.2 ready to install". I think I also gained a little performance in this patch as well. Now all that's left is for Nvidia to release their Witcher optimization drivers soon.

Fëanor

I thought we were going to be able to delete saves from the menu?

Don't see anything to do it with after the update. I have the retail version by the way.

LiK

BoobPhysics101 said:
Odd... I think it actually gave me a performance decrease. Where I was previously getting 55-75 FPS, I'm now getting 45-55 FPS with the same settings.
Is it messing up people with custom settings?

Eusis

mileS said:
are you running crossfire? I'm almost positive that it was a crossfire only problem. I dunno I find this strange because nobody else has mentioned this yet.
No, but rolling the drivers back to pre-hotfix did fix it. I was hoping this patch would address the stuttering I had in Flotsam forest too, but I wasn't that lucky.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Aurarian said:
Should be something on the launcher itself that says "Patch 1.2 ready to install". I think I also gained a little performance in this patch as well. Now all that's left is for Nvidia to release their Witcher optimization drivers soon.
I click it, but nothing happens :\

Edit, for anyone having issues with the installer, run the Launcher as admin and it'll start :)

Edit 2: The patch did help some, not a lot but there's a noticable difference in Chapter 2's town. Runs just a liittle bit smoother and doesn't have nearly as much microstutter.

Maybe in a few patches it'll run nicely :D

Binabik15

Still going through the game with 1.0 before re-instaling. Stupid game won´t patch.

Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced.

D:

Just leave my games alone, religious nutjobs.

mileS

LiK said:
Is it messing up people with custom settings?

I unchecked read only just to see what the patch would do to the custom settings in the user.ini. Sure enough it reset them but no big deal, I had my old one saved. I assume the people that have the user.ini on read only when installing the patch will be fine.

Anyways I'm still not sure they are setting the right values in the user.ini depending on what you pick in the config options yourself. I was going to test it more but I said fuck it and just used my old custom config and set it back to read only.

One thing I did notice was before patch 1.2 even if I had my user.ini set to read only I could change the mouse sensitivity and music volume and it would save. After patch 1.2 it would no longer save these settings if the user.ini was read only. Just a heads up for anyone that is changing these and finding them resetting on you later.

Hawk269

Exuro said:
Ugh where is the Steam patch? Last patch came out at the same time as the GoG one.

I am off today and have been waiting most of the morning, it is now 1:20pm PST and still nothing on steam. They mention it in the news for the game, but nothing on when the steam version patch will be out.

Should of gone Gog...lol...f'n steam

WEGGLES

Fëanor said:
I thought we were going to be able to delete saves from the menu?

Don't see anything to do it with after the update. I have the retail version by the way.
hover over the save and press del key

Exuro

Salaadin said:
Takes a while to upload another 10GB patch.
Obviously not else it would have taken long for the first one which it didn't. They've also said that they've changed how they're updating on Steam so they don't have us redownload the 9.3gig file.

mileS said:
I unchecked read only just to see what the patch would do to the custom settings in the user.ini. Sure enough it reset them but no big deal, I had my old one saved. I assume the people that have the user.ini on read only when installing the patch will be fine.

Anyways I'm still not sure they are setting the right values in the user.ini depending on what you pick in the config options yourself. I was going to test it more but I said fuck it and just used my old custom config and set it back to read only.

One thing I did notice was before patch 1.2 even if I had my user.ini set to read only I could change the mouse sensitivity and music volume and it would save. After patch 1.2 it would no longer save these settings if the user.ini was read only. Just a heads up for anyone that is changing these and finding them resetting on you later.

The configurator is still broken. Even if you set it to Ultra, it'll do weird shit like keep your old Mesh and Foliage Distance settings, keep shadow sizes the same, etc. Very odd.

LiK

BoobPhysics101 said:
The configurator is still broken. Even if you set it to Ultra, it'll do weird shit like keep your old Mesh and Foliage Distance settings, keep shadow sizes the same, etc. Very odd.
Doh

Darklord

Banned
Do I have to register the game to get the new patch? Because I still can't and the support they gave me was worthless. I only see 1.1 on GoG. :(

Mithos

Gold Member
Binabik15 said:
Still going through the game with 1.0 before re-instaling. Stupid game won´t patch.

Yeah a few friends that have the game are saying the same, 1.2 patch won't patch, but after a re-install it did.

I'm thinking Patch 1.2 does lower performance on my system by quite a bit. Even on Low settings I can't break past 60 FPS, which is very off.

I'm going to reinstall and try patch 1.1 again.

Haint

For anyone getting an "Invalid or Incomplete Installation" error message when trying to patch a retail release to 1.1 for 1.2, here are some steps to try. Most of them are common knowledge, but I had never seen the last bit mentioned anywhere. It's what was causing me issues.

1) Use the original DRM'ed .exe and paul.dll (for those that swapped in the GoG.exe)
2) Turn off any antivirus/malware monitors
3) Run the patcher as admin
4) Delete your after market DLC .dzip's (Troll, Alchemist Suit, Mystical Merchant etc...) in the Game Folder > Cooked PC folder. (*Caution* not all the .dzip's in this folder are aftermarket DLC, so take care to only delete the correct files).

Yeah come on Steam update the game... 10 bucks says there in negotiations for changing how the game patches itself or something...

Some kind of heads up would be nice however since we've been waiting all day...

Minsc

Gold Member
scorpscarx said:
Yeah come on Steam update the game... 10 bucks says there in negotiations for changing how the game patches itself or something...

Some kind of heads up would be nice however since we've been waiting all day...

It's not uncommon for patches to be late on Steam is it? I've read about games where patches would take over a month to make it to Steam... I guess that's the developer's fault, but I'd just as soon expect it to hit a day or two later based on how Steam has to process the files, where they can skip that step for retail/GOG.

Minsc said:
It's not uncommon for patches to be late on Steam is it?
Not uncommon at all. Although I've never had a month wait, I have had a few days wait before. And with the weekend coming I can see this not happening until Monday if it doesn't come out tonight.

DangerStepp

WTF?!

I just updated to 1.2 and now the game is acting like I'm starting it for the first time even though I'm on chapter 2.

I'm rolling through Vergen meanwhile all of the tutorial screens and shit are popping up left and right. I only have two quests in my journal.

What.

The.

FUCK?!?!

Well the thing is... the 1.1 dropped at the same exact time, and I have never seen a patch be late or delayed on Steam in years for a game I was actually following patch releases for.

Minsc

Gold Member
Finally, we have another batch of nice benches to add to the OP shortly:

First the sorta-boring GPU lists:

TW21680_HighUltra.png

TW21680_Low.png

I'd say they're pretty accurate as my 5870 hits that 45 perfectly, actually the average would be a bit higher maybe, but that's due to these next benches, the real interesting stuff here:

TW2CPU1.png

TW2CPU2.png

Looks like the X4's got outclassed by a pretty decent amount by the i5/7s. A 2.6Ghz i5 almost 20% faster than a 3.8Ghz X4!, while a 3.3Ghz i5 2500k is ~50% faster! Yes, this game likes fast CPUs alright.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still getting black screen when completing that incense quest by closing down the shop.

Performance seems worse but that might be placebo, LOD distance is still fucked up compared to 1.0.

Interesting, could it be because the lower end CPUs are throttling the 590?

I wonder if there would be such a huge spread on a lower end, single core card.

One thing I noticed with this new patch is that when I enter Flotsam the textures take a while to load. If I enter from the Lobinden gate it takes about 3 or 4 seconds before the inn becomes visible.

mileS

LOD has been fine for me ever since the user.ini tweaks. You kind of have to test this in the right areas because of the way the streaming in this game works. Simple example of a place not to test it would be that small river that leads back to that area outside of Flotsam (near the ladder where Cedric hangs out)

Weird, I can't get the user.ini settings to work in the game. It keeps defaulting to whatever was set in options. I've set it to read only btw, this is what the file looks like using Boob's ultra+

[Engine]
CustomRenderingSettings=0
PerformancePlatform=1

[Input]
KeyboardLayout=QWERTY

[MouseInput]
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=0

[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=1000
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=4
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=4
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
MeshDistanceScale=2.2
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

mileS

toasty_T said:
Weird, I can't get the user.ini settings to work in the game. It keeps defaulting to whatever was set in options. I've set it to read only btw, this is what the file looks like using Boob's ultra+

make sure the top is like this under [Engine]

CustomRenderingSettings=1
PerformancePlatform=1

works for me.

Gully State said:
Is there a way to get rid of the dithering?
Sadly no but some have said having bloom on hides it a bit in some areas. I would agree but I still rather the look without it.

Top Bottom