• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Minsc

Gold Member
I would think 16:10 support to come after the bigger issues get fixed first. The stuff in patches 1.1 and 1.2 has been more important and I think there's still stuff yet to get fixed first.

Teknoman said:
This, also you guys say there really isnt that big a visual difference between ultra and high?

Basically High turns off DOF, lowers the LOD settings, and reduces the amount of texture memory available. You should probably use Ultra if you have a 1GB card and turn off Bloom instead (or in addition to DOF).

knitoe

mr stroke said:
Patch did nothing for my performance, and still have the shining lights everywhere :(
(6990+2500k)
Shining lights through objects are from the AMD 11.5b drivers. It won't be fixed until AMD release new drivers. So, put up with it for CF gains or revert back to previous drivers. Supposely, disable CF works, but it didn't work for me.

Teknoman

Minsc said:
I would think 16:10 support to come after the bigger issues get fixed first. The stuff in patches 1.1 and 1.2 has been more important and I think there's still stuff yet to get fixed first.

Basically High turns off DOF, lowers the LOD settings, and reduces the amount of texture memory available. You should probably use Ultra if you have a 1GB card and turn off Bloom instead (or in addition to DOF).

I'll give it a shot then:

Radeon 4870 1GB.

- Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced.
- All previously released DLC packages are installed with Patch 1.2
What does that first one mean?
Also, does this mean all pre-order dlc is now for everyone? I don't want it to be too easy...

Varna

I should be doing hw said:
What does that first one mean?
Also, does this mean all pre-order dlc is now for everyone? I don't want it to be too easy...

Definitely makes the beginning easier and I hear the armor the secret vendor sells is pretty damn overpowered. Reading through the GOG forums it seems you can remove it by opening up one of the files and deleting the dlc files (they are pretty clearly labeled).

Wheee! Just installed the game. It looks awesome! Here's a screenshot

X0akt.jpg

Although I have one question. For some reason, there is a slight lag in Geralt's movement. There's a delay in when I press a button and Geralt's actions on screen. It's very small, but can mean life or death in hairy situations. This is my set up.

7lBtX.jpg

The game runs pretty smooth in this first level though, and I want to maintain this level of awesome detail. But anyone know how I can get rid of the slight movement delay without sacrificing too much graphical goodness? Is there a tinkering that I need to do in userini? Any help will be appreciated.

If it doesn't feel like a performance issue then it is probably just the game, this isn't mario.

What are you talking like a 1s delay for directional movement? If it's less than 1s then I think thats normal, it does have a sliigggggghhhhhhttttt movement delay mainly due (i think) to accurately animate a moving, living, man.

Cels

RustyNails said:
Although I have one question. For some reason, there is a slight lag in Geralt's movement. There's a delay in when I press a button and Geralt's actions on screen. It's very small, but can mean life or death in hairy situations. This is my set up.

There's a little bit of lag, especially if you try to cancel actions. For example, if you try to do something immediately after a roll. The animation for the roll will end and you try to do something (cast a Sign, swing your sword, throw a bomb, w/e) but he won't move right away.

I don't know if it has to do with your graphics (it sounds like you suspect graphics could be the culprit) but try turning it down and seeing what happens.

Just installed 1.2 via a separate download from my browser after not being able to find a way to install the patch after downloading in the launcher.
Can everyone else see all the choices in their launcher from the previous versions? I can't see the DLC option anymore.

I should be doing hw said:
Just installed 1.2 via a separate download from my browser after not being able to find a way to install the patch after downloading in the launcher.
Can everyone else see all the choices in their launcher from the previous versions? I can't see the DLC option anymore.

No, I think they removed it since we have all the DLC now.

Saige

I must do better.
I had to reinstall my game to patch it to 1.2, but is there any way to actually tell what version the game is? It doesn’t show it anywhere in the launcher or the start menu.

mileS

Saige said:
I had to reinstall my game to patch it to 1.2, but is there any way to actually tell what version the game is? It doesn’t show it anywhere in the launcher or the start menu.

with 1.2 you should no longer see the DLC option in the launcher.

WEGGLES

Saige said:
Well for one the DLC option will be gone from the launcher, and if you view the readme it will say which version it is.

Saige

I must do better.
mileS said:
with 1.2 you should no longer see the DLC option in the launcher.
Well that option is still there, and the manual patches just give me errors…

Kind of confused, I install the game from the GOG downloader after uninstalling it and it goes through the patching process. If I open the patcher from the install directory says I’m up to date.

fanboi

Banned
Saige said:
Well that option is still there, and the manual patches just give me errors…

Kind of confused, I install the game from the GOG downloader after uninstalling it and it goes through the patching process. If I open the patcher from the install directory says I’m up to date.

Same here... I even think I dont have 1.1

noise36

EDIT: just reinstalled 1.1 over the top and it seemed to work.

strange the launcher or game doesn't tell you your current version.

raphier

Banned
Despera said:
What were they thinking when they did that? Good thing they removed it then.
It's up to debate.

"Sometimes cigar is just a cigar, but sometimes it's a big brown !"#¤%&/("

fanboi said:
Same here... I even think I dont have 1.1
Install 1.1 manually, from Gog.com website and then use launcher as it should open the auto-updater.

I seem to have run into a problem. I connected witcher 2 to my 720p TV and changed the in game resolution as well ...but I get roughly the same frames i got when I ran the game at 1080p. Does the game not scale well?

Dosia

Where can I get some silver ore to forge a silver sword? I just arrived in Flotsam, but I am having trouble finding any.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's nice to be able to have Geralt's haircut from Witcher 1. :)

Also, just finished Chapter 2 on Roche's Path
I hope no one chose to leave Henselt alive, what an asshole.

RustyNails said:
Wheee! Just installed the game. It looks awesome! Here's a screenshot

7lBtX.jpg

The game runs pretty smooth in this first level though, and I want to maintain this level of awesome detail. But anyone know how I can get rid of the slight movement delay without sacrificing too much graphical goodness? Is there a tinkering that I need to do in userini? Any help will be appreciated.

Smh... your settings are all messed up. Use one of my user.ini's in the OP. And turn off texture downscaling...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh crap i just realized i posted in the performance thread, this is confusing lol. Oh well.

And really? Only 2.8% players chose to
let him live?
Guess i chose right!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone know if the devs have expressed interest in improving performance further?

Or: Is it gonna become any better without upgrading my hardware?

Van Owen

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Smh... your settings are all messed up. Use one of my user.ini's in the OP. And turn off texture downscaling...

I'm a bit confused. You say that the first config in your post was smoother for some people, but doesn't it have ubersampling on?

I have an OCed 6950 with 6970 shaders. Which one should i use?

mileS said:
LOD has been fine for me ever since the user.ini tweaks. You kind of have to test this in the right areas because of the way the streaming in this game works. Simple example of a place not to test it would be that small river that leads back to that area outside of Flotsam (near the ladder where Cedric hangs out)
So far i haven't seen comparison shots or video when using .ini tweaks versus touching the settings with the launcher. I mean it should be easy to do for the people using meshdistancescale at 4's and FoliageDistanceScale in higs 2's. How do you guys know its making a "significant" difference? or at least one that you can easily notice.

Hawk269

Easy_D said:
Anyone know if the devs have expressed interest in improving performance further?

Or: Is it gonna become any better without upgrading my hardware?

Well Nvidia has already stated that they have improvements coming, but it was not ready for the latest driver update. They claim "sometime in June" when they will have it out. Someone from Nvidia posted in their forums that it was working, but caused issues with other games so they are holding it off to fix whatver issue.

All I want is proper SLI scalling as that is to me the biggest issue. But seeing some games go from 5% to 40% or more improvement just through a driver is promissing and hopefull for this game.

RedSwirl

Since updating to 1.2, now sometimes the game crashes to the desktop when I save. Also, I never had the save game memory size problem from the first game show up here until I updated to 1.2.

And what's this 3GB switch?

Tokubetsu

EternalGamer said:
-When you swing and multiple enemies are around, all that you hit will stagger.
-block now takes less vigor and refills a lot faster
-the prologue was nerfed.

Wasn't there an ability in the swordsman tree that you had to get that did this? So is that ability useless now?

What part of the prologue was considered overly difficult? The only time I recall struggling on my first playthrough was the large mob just before entering the Solar. On my second playthrough the entire thing was a breeze.

Varna

Tokubetsu said:
Wasn't there an ability in the swordsman tree that you had to get that did this? So is that ability useless now?

Probably just made it... 25% damage to start, then 50 and 100.

En-ou

how can i increase the draw distance detail? i see stuff popping up like few paces infront of me, its annoying.

epmode

EternalGamer said:
-When you swing and multiple enemies are around, all that you hit will stagger.
Still haven't tried the new patch but I'm amazed that they worked this in so quickly. That plus the lockon fix was all I was hoping for, didn't expect it for a long time, if ever.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Question: How does this game fare on a dual core? Thinking of buying a GTX 580 next week and I'm wondering if that alone will complement my E6420 @ 3.2GHz enough for some max-settings witchering. Otherwise, I'll just wait until I have the money set aside for the entire upgrade presuming my 5750 doesn't conk out.

Top Bottom