• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Sylarkiller said:
Hi, n00b to the forum, I am having issues with this game. I have an iMac, running bootcamp and this game is running horrendously slow for me. I turned everything to minimum and still it chugs along. Here are my specs, ripped from "can you run it?"

CPU: You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06GHz
CPU Speed: You Have: 3.1 GHz
RAM: You Have: 3.7 GB
OS: You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
VIDEO CARD: You Have: GeForce 9400
Attributes of your Video Card
You Have
Video RAM :1.8 GB
Pixel Shader version: 4.0
Vertex Shader version: 4.0
Free Disk Space: You Have: 89.9 GB

Now the website says I should be able to run the game and then some but it is REALLY slow for me, can you offer any advice as to why it is slow? Did the website bullshit me and my computer is too slow to run it? Should I cut my losses and wait for the 360 version?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Your videocard is far too slow to play this game, and your CPU isn't helping either. Sorry man.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
IndieJones said:
Guys, sorry if this has been beaten to death by now, but I've checked many pages and I'm getting more confused.

I'm thinking of buying a brand new PC in September but what I have right now is:

Intel Q6600 processor
6 GB RAM
512 MB GeForce 8800 GT <-- this is my problem

The benchmarks from the OP are from Very High settings with AA, etc.

I'm too impatient to wait for a new computer (if it even happens) to play this game, so will it run decently at LOW? As long as it doesn't look worse than the first game, I don't care.

Again, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. Thanks!

I'm sure you can run it at 720p with medium/high settings. Also be sure to update the gpu drivers. Game is pretty optimized.

Hawk269

Exuro said:
3.06.2011 isn't June 6th :p

I guess I got thrown off cause when you click the link, the first thing at the top is the 3/6/2011, then a bit lower they have the notes listed as 6/3/2011. So they are using 2 different date formats which made me misunderstand.

All I want is the patch. They list about 35 fixes, wonder what the remaining 15 are?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really wish they'd allow you to select what you pick up off a body/chest when using the controller. That's a game-breaker for me, and man do I want to use the controller.

I also don't want to install the zero-weight mod.

Hawk269

FlyinJ said:
I really wish they'd allow you to select what you pick up off a body/chest when using the controller. That's a game-breaker for me, and man do I want to use the controller.

I also don't want to install the zero-weight mod.

Agree, but it is so simple to go into the inventory menu and drop those items you did not want. I usually only do this when I get close to max weight, spend a few minutes dumping then be on my way. It is simple enough and does not take that much time. Don't let that keep you from playing with your controller man.

Funny thing, the help menus tell you you can select what items you loot, but it doesnt obviously. In due time I am sure they will fix it...the changelog only lists 35 of the 50 fixes, so it might be in there!

Salsa

silly question: im currently on my way into building a new rig, dont know how much time itll take though

what i have now:

9600GT 512Ddr3
E7200@2.5ghz
4gb ram ddr2

plan on gettin a gtx560 + i5 2500k

should i play the game anyway on my current setup or wait for the upgrade?

I hear that its greatly optimized and that it relies heavily on art direction, so maybe i could still enjoy looking at it with my current oldass setup?

I can play the first one maxed out with no real issues.

Varna

SalsaShark said:
silly question: im currently on my way into building a new rig, dont know how much time itll take though

what i have now:

9600GT 512Ddr3
E7200@2.5ghz
4gb ram ddr2

I hear that its greatly optimized and that it relies heavily on art direction, so maybe i could still enjoy looking at it with my current oldass setup?

Different is going to be insane. I say wait. Play TW1 or something while you build.

Salsa

about 5gb left for it to download, guess i'll try it at least. I can chose to play on a 26inch HDTV at 720p, so that helps.

Aurarian

SalsaShark said:

what i have now:

9600GT 512Ddr3
E7200@2.5ghz
4gb ram ddr2

I'd try it out but you will definitely see a world of difference between that setup and your new rig. Not to mention, that the next release of NVIDIA drivers will contain optimizations for Witcher 2.

Minsc

Gold Member
burgerdog said:
Who is ready for another 10gig(probably closer to ~20MB in reality) steam patch tomorrow?

They said in an interview they figured out a way to fix this... probably just copying stuff to the override folders instead of replacing the dzip file.

New patch is going to be awesome. I wonder what's left to fix in 1.3... maybe more performance optimizations. Probably just finish optimizing whatever they can find, keep making DLC, then move onto making the expansions + Witcher 2 360.

BoobPhysics101 said:
New patch is going to be awesome. I wonder what's left to fix in 1.3... maybe more performance optimizations. Probably just finish optimizing whatever they can find, keep making DLC, then move onto making the expansions + Witcher 2 360.
16:10 please.

jackdoe

I just tried the game with patch 1.1 and there is a definite increase in framerate. So much so that I was hitting high 30s fps at Flotsam at times (which is impressive considering I was running on Uber on an aging rig).

Patch 1.2 sounds great as well. Now we get all the pre-order DLC and get to change hairstyles for free! Haha, the exact opposite of Bioware who would charge to change hairstyles if they could.

HooYaH

BoobPhysics101 said:

Did they ever fix 7.1 Sound?

oktarb

So had zero problem installing and running the game. Had a ton of fun but really felt the combat would benifit from a controller. So I ordered a Wired 360 controller for the PC.

That's when the PC problems began.

I installed the drivers no problem. Went into the game and Geralt would just run in circles. OK maybe I need to configure it. I start messing with setting launched joy.cpl and there's no controller listed. hmmm. Then I notice its really hot. There no battery pack because its wired. Ut keeps getting hotter.

The lights on the circle start to flash green (just the left and lower righ segments). I go to unplug it and WHAM!

Blue Screen of Death.

I haven't seens a blue screen in years and certainly not on this machine a near brand new Alienware.

Any idea's? Just a bad unit?

burgerdog

Minsc said:
They said in an interview they figured out a way to fix this... probably just copying stuff to the override folders instead of replacing the dzip file.
Amazing. Thanks for updating us on this. I had no idea and all is good again.

oktarb said:
So had zero problem installing and running the game. Had a ton of fun but really felt the combat would benifit from a controller. So I ordered a Wired 360 controller for the PC.

That's when the PC problems began.

I installed the drivers no problem. Went into the game and Geralt would just run in circles. OK maybe I need to configure it. I start messing with setting launched joy.cpl and there's no controller listed. hmmm. Then I notice its really hot. There no battery pack because its wired. Ut keeps getting hotter.

The lights on the circle start to flash green (just the left and lower righ segments). I go to unplug it and WHAM!

Blue Screen of Death.

I haven't seens a blue screen in years and certainly not on this machine a near brand new Alienware.

Any idea's? Just a bad unit?

Yes, it's bad. Two of my wired 360 controllers (I've had 4-5 of them) that I've had for 4-5 years have the same problem. Not sure how they died, but it looks like yours is dead on arrival. Swap it out for another one.

One of them actually died while playing Crysis 2 on my laptop. It would disconnect itself, reconnect 5 minutes later and after doing that for an hour or so it suddenly started spinning and doing the top left and bottom right quadrant flashing on the controller. Of course Microsoft won't replace it...

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I think i found a little speed increase for people with gtx260's/5770's without hurting image quality from what i've seen. Texture quality is still great and doesn't have that low res look that putting texture downscale to low does.

On your Witcher 2 config change MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096 to MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048.

I also have AA, SSAO, DOF and etc on and the peformance on my gtx 260 has been pretty smooth besides Flotsam.

Try it out or maybe it's a placebo, but i did notice smoother gameplay on my end.

Waiting to see if 1.2 has any negative impacts on performance. If not, i'll go for a 3rd run with this patch. Just being cautious since 1.1 bringed some problems.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just downloaded 1.2. This is great timing. In the middle of my second playthrough right now.

The patch notes said that there are gameplay tweaks to the prologue. Any idea what those are? I actually didn't think the prologue needed any rebalancing, but that's just me.

Salaadin

thetrin said:
Just downloaded 1.2. This is great timing. In the middle of my second playthrough right now.

The patch notes said that there are gameplay tweaks to the prologue. Any idea what those are? I actually didn't think the prologue needed any rebalancing, but that's just me.

Im guessing some of it has to be for the
dragon
part of the prologue. Thats probably been one of the most complained about sections of the game.

LiK

thetrin said:

Hopefully they made it less hard on Normal considering we don't have the upgrade for attacking groups in the prologue.

Varna

Salaadin said:
Im guessing some of it has to be for the
dragon
part of the prologue. Thats probably been one of the most complained about sections of the game.

Another bull shit part they should fix is when you go
crash the plotters meeting in chapter 2
. The battle start with the guy swinging at you.. and you have no way to block because it take a second to get your sword out (they really should allow you to cast signs without having your weapon drawn).

Played on hard mode and died there more then any other place. Room with no place to dodge and 5 enemies. Can't imagine how shitty that area must be in insane mode.

jackdoe

Yep. The prologue is noticeably easier. Loading times are better too. The speed at which CDProjekt is improving this game is astounding. Which makes me even more furious at the fact that I supported Bioware, a company that refuses to put in the money to fix quest breaking bugs.

krzy123

AwesomeSauce said:
I think i found a little speed increase for people with gtx260's/5770's without hurting image quality from what i've seen. Texture quality is still great and doesn't have that low res look that putting texture downscale to low does.

On your Witcher 2 config change MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096 to MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048.

I also have AA, SSAO, DOF and etc on and the peformance on my gtx 260 has been pretty smooth besides Flotsam.

Try it out or maybe it's a placebo, but i did notice smoother gameplay on my end.

Will try it when i get home, although i've been holding off my playthrough, until after was settled, but w/ the 1.2 patch, might be a good time to start.

LiK

jackdoe said:
Yep. The prologue is noticeably easier. Loading times are better too. The speed at which CDProjekt is improving this game is astounding. Which makes me even more furious at the fact that I supported Bioware, a company that refuses to put in the money to fix quest breaking bugs.
Sounds good, even faster loading? Wow

jackdoe

LiK said:
Sounds good, even faster loading? Wow
Yep. 1.1 made the start up fast (at launch it was ridiculously long) and 1.2 shaved off a second or two for the actual game load times (which were already short). CDProjekt to the rescue for people with shitty harddrives!

Cheech

It makes me pleased to see this, but what I'm really waiting on to fire this up is AMD to get off their asses and put 11.6 out there. I have Crossfired 6870s.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if there's a mod that lets you play on Insanity difficulty without the save game deletion aspect?

I checked the big thread on GOG, but there doesn't appear to be one there.

These new revisions are making me want to start up a third run, but I've already beat it on Normal and Hard.

LiK

jackdoe said:
Yep. 1.1 made the start up fast (at launch it was ridiculously long) and 1.2 shaved off a second or two for the actual game load times (which were already short). CDProjekt to the rescue for people with shitty harddrives!

i play on SSD so this is gonna be like instant!

Top Bottom