• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

FoxSpirit

C2Q said:
Wow just installed this last night. Damn this game is more demanding than crysis 1. It also doesn't help that I'm playing on a (gaming) laptop. Everything at low at 1080p and i get 20 fps on average. Then i turn up textures LOD decals and some other misc stuff and the fps doesn't even budge, still at 20 fps.
The only thing that made a significant difference is resolution. Going down to 1280x920 gave me 30-32 fps on medium settings and on 1920x1080 low, medium are both the same. What gives?

I'm on patch 1.1 and crysis 1 performed better than this lol.
Here are my specs

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 6077MB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
Video Memory: 1024MB

If a change in graphics means no change in speed it often means CPU choke. And from what you describe that's just it, the game is more slowed down by your CPU than your GPU, so increasing stuff that only taxes the GPU won't change the final framerate.

Minsc

Gold Member
C2Q said:
Wow just installed this last night. Damn this game is more demanding than crysis 1. It also doesn't help that I'm playing on a (gaming) laptop. Everything at low at 1080p and i get 20 fps on average. Then i turn up textures LOD decals and some other misc stuff and the fps doesn't even budge, still at 20 fps.
The only thing that made a significant difference is resolution. Going down to 1280x920 gave me 30-32 fps on medium settings and on 1920x1080 low, medium are both the same. What gives?

I'm on patch 1.1 and crysis 1 performed better than this lol.
Here are my specs

System seems to be borderline min specs:
360M ~= 9600GT ~= 8800GT (min spec)
CPU is a dual core 1.6Ghz chip = below min spec.

Dropping resolution = gain in fps = GPU limited, which makes sense given the GPU breakdown above. That and the game doesn't scale down too too well.

Edit: I guess you meant to put you have a i7 720 QM CPU, which would be a quad core, but your GPU is still a bit too slow for this game I think.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
C2Q said:

upgrade. your system is pretty weak unfortunately.

I can't run Crysis maxed out btw but had no problems with this game.

C2Q

Banned
subversus said:
upgrade. your system is pretty weak unfortunately.

I can't run Crysis maxed out btw but had no problems with this game.

Its a laptop, not gonna upgrade for a while since I'm a student and all :(
It will be a good few years before i finally build myself an awesome desktop but for now this is all i have.

And yeah the CPU is a i7 720 QM. Mobile i7 CPU, slowest of the bunch GHz wise D:

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How much video memory do you need for very high? I have a gig on board my 6950, is that sufficient? When I set it to very high, I get frame rate hitches every 2-3 seconds when running around. Is there a way to alleviate that but retain very high textures?

I have 4 gigs system memory as well...

Red

FlyinJ said:
How much video memory do you need for very high? I have a gig on board my 6950, is that sufficient? When I set it to very high, I get frame rate hitches every 2-3 seconds when running around. Is there a way to alleviate that but retain very high textures?

I have 4 gigs system memory as well...
I am running at a typical 25-40 fps on a 1GB 5870 with all maxed, draw distance at 2.2 in user config, with the only options disabled being bloom and ubersampling.

Frame hitching for me happens occasionally, happened much more before patch 1.1 and the latest ATi drivers. Still does occur, but sporadically (though I am able to replicate it in a few places, usually with many torches around -- not sure why that is), and I'm beginning to think some of it is due to HDD loading or issues with textures streaming.

I am also running MLAA on top of the in-game AA.

Minsc

Gold Member
Crunched said:
I am running at a typical 25-40 fps on a 1GB 5870 with all maxed, draw distance at 2.2 in user config, with the only options disabled being bloom and ubersampling.

Frame hitching for me happens occasionally, happened much more before patch 1.1 and the latest ATi drivers. Still does occur, but sporadically (though I am able to replicate it in a few places, usually with many torches around -- not sure why that is), and I'm beginning to think some of it is due to HDD loading or issues with textures streaming.

What's your CPU again? You may see ~ 10fps gain if you overclock if you're running stock settings, as I'm getting more like 35-50 fps @ an i7 o/c to 3.3Ghz (same options disabled), unless it's just the MLAA dropping you. It may be worth turning off, there's a huge improvement if you can break 30/45 fps w/ triple buffered v-sync.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Crunched said:

Where is the file located that has the LOD settings? I switched from far to normal LOD and the hitching is completely gone now. However, I would like to tweak it to somewhere between normal and far as I'm noticing the geometry LOD. Also, what settings in the file to I want to modify?

Thanks-

C2Q

Banned
Ok I'm getting another problem now. The game is pretty stuttery even when I have my settings to give me 27-33 fps. It looks smooth enough but theres jitters in movement and stuff, kinda like its frame skipping. Even in houses when I get like 45-60 fps its noticable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have a 5770, but haven't upgraded my CPU yet from an AMD athlon II X3 440. Will that CPU hold me back, or is it decent enough?

mileS

Lots of these questions can be answered by looking at the OP again. Minsc is always updating it with everything you need to know.

Red

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The in-game AA is already MLAA!
Haha, did not know that. Was wondering what it was since it's just an on/off option.

Minsc said:
What's your CPU again? You may see ~ 10fps gain if you overclock if you're running stock settings, as I'm getting more like 35-50 fps @ an i7 o/c to 3.3Ghz (same options disabled), unless it's just the MLAA dropping you. It may be worth turning off, there's a huge improvement if you can break 30/45 fps w/ triple buffered v-sync.
My i7 is at 4GHz. Triple buffering through D3DOverrider. My 25-40 was being conservative. It's dropped to 20 in large areas, but mostly sticks to 35 and above. I've hit 60 at some points. It's been low occasionally, but is higher up more than it drops.

Crunched said:
Haha, did not know that. Was wondering what it was since it's just an on/off option.

My i7 is at 4GHz. Triple buffering through D3DOverrider. My 25-40 was being conservative. It's dropped to 20 in large areas, but mostly sticks to 35 and above. I've hit 60 at some points. It's been low occasionally, but is higher up more than it drops.

If you want a giant FPS boost (15-20+ FPS), turn off Motion Blur, Antialiasing, Depth of Field and SSAO. SSAO alone is a 10~ FPS hit, sometimes more. Motion Blur is 5-8 FPS when moving around, etc. You get the idea.

Personally I found the SSAO in the game to be far too subtle for the big performance hit.

C2Q said:
Can someone tell me what setting is it that controls the texture detail? I have like all the texture stuff on high with no downscaling but i still get something that looks like the first 2 screen in here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27893918&postcount=494

Now whats the setting that was used to get all that detail in the third screen on the bricks and stuff?

Anisotropic Filtering. Set to 8x or 16x in your driver control panel. If using ATI card, use RadeonPro profile to set it.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
Refreshment.01 said:
So you get fucked if you save with the "no reponse" bug active? What happens if you load the previous save?

Yes, very fucked. Only affects the save if the bug is active, previous saves work fine. Lost 20 mins and quite some nekker stuff :(

Probably a crazy question, but did AMD or Red downgrade the graphics? Something about the textures seems wrong, like they are lower rez or not being filtered correctly. I've tried forcing 16xAA through CCC, and made sure that the setting selected in the launcher (Ultra - uber + LOD far) were showing up in the ini file.

Of course, while it would be odd to discover that I've be viewing a game I first played only a few days ago through rose-tinted glasses, that could very well be what's happening.

Edit: On a side note, I just compared my ini with the standard "Ultra" ini and my shadows were both at 512 although they were maxed out in the launcher.

Minsc

Gold Member
mattiewheels said:
I have a 5770, but haven't upgraded my CPU yet from an AMD athlon II X3 440. Will that CPU hold me back, or is it decent enough?

You fall pretty close to this one:

High Settings said:
CPU: 3.2 GHZ Phenom II X4 955
GPU: Radeon HD 5770
Framerate: 20-30 fps
Custom Settings: 25-40 fps with motion blur and SSAO off

Maybe a slight increase due to the patches/updated drivers.

CabbageRed said:
Probably a crazy question, but did AMD or Red downgrade the graphics? Something about the textures seems wrong, like they are lower rez or not being filtered correctly. I've tried forcing 16xAA through CCC, and made sure that the setting selected in the launcher (Ultra - uber + LOD far) were showing up in the ini file.

Nope, none that I can see. Beautiful as ever! Try deleting your user.ini and let it build a new one? Other than that, restart?

Angst

Still no Steam patch?

Also, I want to thank the user that told me about mouse scrolling in journals. Works like a charm! :)

mileS said:
why would you have normal DOF on and CutsceneDOF off Kyaw? They are pretty much the same in terms of performance so if CutsceneDOF is bringing your frames down normal DOF should be bringing them down by a similar amount.
But slowdown in a conversation or cutscene is not as big of a problem as when it happens during gameplay, that my logic. I like DOF a lot but i just leave it for cutscenes, don't think the machine can handled well during fights for example.
Narag said:
Earlier saves were fine.
Gunpriest said:
Yes, very fucked. Only affects the save if the bug is active, previous saves work fine. Lost 20 mins and quite some nekker stuff :(
I thought it was much worse since one of you guys said you became stalled in one of your runs. Its an annoying bug non the less but at least not fatal. Getting hit solves it. Minsc should put it in the OP in case is not already there.
CabbageRed said:

Edit: On a side note, I just compared my ini with the standard "Ultra" ini and my shadows were both at 512 although they were maxed out in the launcher.[/higlight]
I have the same problem and i don't know how to fix it.

Also if you click the launcher's "video options" it will instantly overwrite the user.ini settings, so if you want to use the custom values of the ".ini" file never click video options of the launcher. As long as you don't do it the game will use the modified options. This happens even if you put "user.ini" as read only if you have UAC deactivated, at least that's what i think.

gdt

I'm using RadeonPro to set Ani to 8x/16x, but I'm getting that super wierd effect where everything is see through that others have gotten, how do I remove that when setting ani in RP?

gdt

Oh fuck.

Now the game still looks like that even though I set the RP profile back to "application controlled". I even removed TW2's profile from RP, and then closed out RP! Still looks all weird.

Help?

Refreshment.01 said:
I have the same problem and i don't know how to fix it.

Also if you click the launcher's "video options" it will instantly overwrite the user.ini settings, so if you want to use the custom values of the ".ini" file never click video options of the launcher. As long as you don't do it the game will use the modified options. This happens even if you put "user.ini" as read only if you have UAC deactivated, at least that's what i think.

Glad to hear I am not the only one. I poked around and someone on steam is suggesting that 1.1 introduced silent and unavoidable texture downsampling, but that strikes me very unlikely.

And I've already bumped into the ini bit. The launcher love to set my texture memory to 100 if I play around with the ini. :p

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
Oh fuck.

Now the game still looks like that even though I set the RP profile back to "application controlled". I even removed TW2's profile from RP, and then closed out RP! Still looks all weird.

Help?

Make sure its not changed in the Global setting on Radeon Pro by accident.
Also make sure its not changed in CCC.

Meier

I saw someone post in another thread that Steam updates required massive downloads. Can anyone clarify what this means? Does a patch make you re-DL the 9 gig install or something? I know Civ 5 isn't that way...

Salaadin

Meier said:
I saw someone post in another thread that Steam updates required massive downloads. Can anyone clarify what this means? Does a patch make you re-DL the 9 gig install or something? I know Civ 5 isn't that way...

Its the way CDPR set up the game files or something. Theres one massive 9GB file and a few others that make up the 16GB total. When the first patch (1.1) came out, some of this 9GB file was changed and because of the way Steam patches files, the entire thing had to be re-downloaded. At least thats the way I took it.

CDPR has since stated that this will be fixed. That might be why Steam hasnt received 1.2 yet.

Meier

Salaadin said:
Its the way CDPR set up the game files or something. Theres one massive 9GB file and a few others that make up the 16GB total. When the first patch (1.1) came out, some of this 9GB file was changed and because of the way Steam patches files, the entire thing had to be re-downloaded. At least thats the way I took it.

CDPR has since stated that this will be fixed. That might be why Steam hasnt received 1.2 yet.
Okay cool. So let's say Steam gets 1.2 and I bite at $40.. I would just do the first download and then the 1.2 patch and not have to download the 9 GB again if this is fixed, correct?

CabbageRed said:
Glad to hear I am not the only one. I poked around and someone on steam is suggesting that 1.1 introduced silent and unavoidable texture downsampling, but that strikes me very unlikely.

And I've already bumped into the ini bit. The launcher love to set my texture memory to 100 if I play around with the ini. :p
I just have the day 1 patch, the one before 1.1. Using Catalyst 11.4 preview with 16x aniso and it looks like if i wasn't using any filtering.

Like i said if you modify the .ini don't click in video options because it re writes your values.

Exuro

Meier said:
Okay cool. So let's say Steam gets 1.2 and I bite at $40.. I would just do the first download and then the 1.2 patch and not have to download the 9 GB again if this is fixed, correct?
Yeah but 1.2 isn't out just yet so once that is up you can start dling it without having to redownload that specific file.

Salaadin

Meier said:

If its fixed, you should only have the one 16GB game download and then the patch, however they decide to handle it. We dont know the size or any details about that though so I cant really say for certain.

I also think that Steam only keeps the current version of the game on their servers so if 1.2 releases and THEN you download, youll be getting 1.2 right off the bat without any need to download the patch. Maybe someone else can confirm but Im pretty sure thats how it works.

Hopefully they release it today and we can know for sure.

Minsc

Gold Member
Meier said:

Steam doesn't do patches like that. If you buy it after Steam puts out patch 1.2, when you download it for the first time, it will already be version 1.2, you'll never be able to run or download 1.0 or 1.1, they are gone forever from Steam's servers.

Meier

Cool, thanks guys! I am still kinda on the fence since I have a bunch of 360 games I'm busy with right now and I just bought FC2 and Settlers 7, but I may jump in anyway.

Once I gave up trying to figure out what was going on with the textures and decided to play, I discovered that I couldn't talk to anyone. Turns out that a few days ago when CCC was causing all games to flash if its color setting were changed, I wiped the previous drivers but install 11.5 rather than one of the hotfixes. I haven't checked the textures yet, but my other issues vanished now that I've switched over to 11.5b.

In short, somewhere between my hardware, Cat 1.55, CAP 11.5-4, and TW2 2.2, nastiness awaits.

Oddly enough, this time around the "Ultra" setting set my shadows even lower than before but turned sharpening on by default. Strange program.

CabbageRed said:
Once I gave up trying to figure out what was going on with the textures and decided to play, I discovered that I couldn't talk to anyone. Turns out that a few days ago when CCC was causing all games to flash if its color setting were changed, I wiped the previous drivers but install 11.5 rather than one of the hotfixes. I haven't checked the textures yet, but my other issues vanished now that I've switched over to 11.5b.

In short, somewhere between my hardware, Cat 1.55, CAP 11.5-4, and TW2 2.2, nastiness awaits.

Oddly enough, this time around the "Ultra" setting set my shadows even lower than before but turned sharpening on by default. Strange program.

Configurator is broken. Use ini settings to get the right settings.

subversus

CabbageRed said:

if you have problems with low-res textures you should set them at 2048 in user.ini and make it read-only.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Configurator is broken. Use ini settings to get the right settings.

Seems so, might as well skip using the launcher.

Does anyone know of a way to improve anti-aliasing? Whatever TW2 is using seems like too little, while uber turns a silky smooth 60fps love-fest into a 17-30fps headache. I just need a "make the edges of Geralt's armor crawl less" setting.

subversus said:
if you have problems with low-res textures you should set them at 2048 in user.ini and make it read-only.

Perhaps I should quit fussing around with "feels" and "seems" and instead post an image.

pic here

Don't the ground textures look too blurry?

subversus

CabbageRed said:
Perhaps I should quit fussing around with "feels" and "seems" and instead post an image.

doesn't look good

copypaste your user.ini here please.

CabbageRed said:
Seems so, might as well skip using the launcher.

Does anyone know of a way to improve anti-aliasing? Whatever TW2 is using seems like too little, while uber turns a silky smooth 60fps love-fest into a 17-30fps headache. I just need a "make the edges of Geralt's armor crawl less" setting.

No way to improve the AA since the game uses a form of MLAA.

CabbageRed said:

Yeah, do me a favor and set MaxAtlasTextureSize to 4092 and MaxTexture size to 2048.

Then, go into your driver control panel and force 16x Anisotropic Filtering. Then tell me how it looks.

Also, make sure MipMapping is set to High Quality, and Texture Filtering is set to Quality/High Quality. I'm guessing that's your problem.

subversus said:
doesn't look good

copypaste your user.ini here please.

Will do:

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.1
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=600
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

BoobPhysics101, they were already at those settings.

Top Bottom