• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

CabbageRed said:
Will do:

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.1
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=600
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

BoobPhysics101, they were already at those settings.

Ok, can you try going into driver control panel and adjusting MipMapping and Texture Filtering as outlined above? Also, make sure your LOD in driver control panel is set to 0 as well.

subversus said:
hm.... what card do you have?

2 x 1650's

BoobPhysics101 said:
Ok, can you try going into driver control panel and adjusting MipMapping and Texture Filtering as outlined above? Also, make sure your LOD in driver control panel is set to 0 as well.

The first thing I do after installing news drivers switch AI's texture filtering to High Quality, but CCC has no LOD option. If all else fails, I'll reinstall RadeonPro.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but 16xAA is actually forced in that shot.

"Clearly not!" you wisely say, but here's what's so odd about this: the ground textures in my screen shot do not change if I turn off AA, however if I run a few feet back to the pier and turn on and off AA, the difference is obvious.

subversus said:
also there was some problem with first ATI drivers, they recommended turning off some options in Catalyst.

http://en.thewitcher.com/support/ - it was here.

And what's your OS?

Win7 64. Turned off AI although it only dropped my FPS down into the 40's but left the texture issue unaffected.

I've also just noticed that the NPC pop-in as I move from where I took the shot to the pier is remarkable. There is virtually no chance that I wouldn't have made note of that on my first playthrough. I'm going uninstall, reinstall, check textures, patch to 1.1, check textures, patch to 2.2 and check textures again.

EDIT: When I first installed TW2, my SSD was too full so I installed the game to d:, but later made room and created a junction so I could just cut and paste the files. Forgot about that until just now when the uninstall process deleted nothing in the game's folder.

CabbageRed said:
2 x 1650's

The first thing I do after installing news drivers switch AI's texture filtering to High Quality, but CCC has no LOD option. If all else fails, I'll reinstall RadeonPro.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but 16xAA is actually forced in that shot.

"Clearly not!" you wisely say, but here's what's so odd about this: the ground textures in my screen shot do not change if I turn off AA, however if I run a few feet back to the pier and turn on and off AA, the difference is obvious.

You can't force 16x AA, it has no effect whatsoever. Just turn it off. DX9 literally cannot have AA and deferred rendering enabled at the same time, hence the game's MLAA.

gotee12

BoobPhysics101 said:
Here's leaked Catalyst 11.6 pre-beta drivers if anybody would like to try them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n20hih46b1wtgyh

It will say 11.5 in the CCC, but ignore it.
Is there any reason to believe the leaked 11.6 drivers will improve TW2 framerates? I'm using an hd6850 with a 3ghz Athlon II x4 and regardless of what I do settings wise I'll still see frame rate drops into the teens with spikes into the mid 30's all during the same fight. During the drops the gpu is under a 63% load and the CPU averages around 80% load. Uber stays off but everything else has been adjusted trying to find the cause. I even see the frame rate drops with everything set to low.

edit: Seems that disabling Microsoft Security Essentials helped more than anything. I'm still seeing avg framerates in the low to upper 30's even with the default low settings. It did hit 50 one time under low settings once all the action calmed down and there was nothing going on, though it didn't stay there and fell back to 40. I should be getting better than that, shouldn't I?

BoobPhysics101 said:
You can't force 16x AA, it has no effect whatsoever. Just turn it off. DX9 literally cannot have AA and deferred rendering enabled at the same time, hence the game's MLAA.

Sorry, I'm half asleep. I meant AF, not AA. All AA options are set to default.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Here's leaked Catalyst 11.6 pre-beta drivers if anybody would like to try them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n20hih46b1wtgyh

It will say 11.5 in the CCC, but ignore it.

Thanks. Perfect timing as I was just hunting for drivers.

TW2 1.0 with CAT 11.5b & latest CAP brought back the error where I was unable to talk to people. Uninstalling the CAP's fixed that issue. However, the texture problem remains so I'm going to assume that I'm dealing with a driver issue. I'd like to try 11.5a but both AMD's and Guru3D's 11.5a links take me to the 11.5b page. I'll try the pre-release drivers and, if I have no luck, will revert to 11.5.

Ricker

Patch downloaded automatically with the game launcher and now it says at the bottom left that it`s ready to be installed...how the hell do I install now?...if I go in the download content it`s not there...

Okay, so no luck with pre-release or 11.5, and ,since 11.5 worked before, the problem lies elsewhere so... mysterious LOD bug? Installed RadeonPro.

Screen shots of TW2 1.0 using Catalyst 11.5 and no CAP. LOD altered with RP.

LOD: 0

http://i.imgur.com/iBcMu.jpg

LOD: -1

http://i.imgur.com/Zs61W.jpg

LOD: -1.5

http://i.imgur.com/wVwI6.jpg

LOD: -2

http://i.imgur.com/oYdIO.jpg

Between -1 and -1.5 it is a bit of a toss up, but changing the LOD resolved the issue. So it's not the game, not the drivers, and I installed RadeonPro on my first playthrough to enable crossfire but never changed the LOD setting and uninstalled when I was done. Aside from D3DOverider, I use no other display-related programs. What the what?

I suppose the next thing to do would be to load up other games and see if it is a system-wide issue but I'm just not up for it right now.

EDIT: Sorry about that, forgot to give my thanks to subversus and boobphysics for helping me out! :)

Edit #2: Judging by the amount of shimmering I'm seeing, this is a fairly half-assed solution. It is better than nothing, but still a frustrating trade off.

CabbageRed said:
Okay, so no luck with pre-release or 11.5, and ,since 11.5 worked before, the problem lies elsewhere so... mysterious LOD bug? Installed RadeonPro.

Screen shots of TW2 1.0 using Catalyst 11.5 and no CAP. LOD altered with RP.

Between -1 and -1.5 it is a bit of a toss up, but changing the LOD resolved the issue. So it's not the game, not the drivers, and I installed RadeonPro on my first playthrough to enable crossfire but never changed the LOD setting and uninstalled when I was done. Aside from D3DOverider, I use no other display-related programs. What the what?

I suppose the next thing to do would be to load up other games and see if it is a system-wide issue but I'm just not up for it right now.

EDIT: Sorry about that, forgot to give my thanks to subversus and boobphysics for helping me out! :)

Edit #2: Judging by the amount of shimmering I'm seeing, this is a fairly half-assed solution. It is better than nothing, but still a frustrating trade off.

Can you please turn on Anisotropic Filtering 16x in Radeon Pro or the CCC if you haven't already? I believe this will solve your problem.

Set LOD to 0 when you do so.

gotee12 said:
Is there any reason to believe the leaked 11.6 drivers will improve TW2 framerates? I'm using an hd6850 with a 3ghz Athlon II x4 and regardless of what I do settings wise I'll still see frame rate drops into the teens with spikes into the mid 30's all during the same fight. During the drops the gpu is under a 63% load and the CPU averages around 80% load. Uber stays off but everything else has been adjusted trying to find the cause. I even see the frame rate drops with everything set to low.

edit: Seems that disabling Microsoft Security Essentials helped more than anything. I'm still seeing avg framerates in the low to upper 30's even with the default low settings. It did hit 50 one time under low settings once all the action calmed down and there was nothing going on, though it didn't stay there and fell back to 40. I should be getting better than that, shouldn't I?

They might, I haven't measured the difference between 11.5b RC5 hotfix vs the 11.6 pre-beta, so try them at your own risk.

Disabling all antiviruses or creating exceptions is important. I highly recommend turning off all your extra applications and programs (except RadeonPro) when running Witcher 2 to eliminate any variables which may be lowering your performance. Then check your performance with your regular apps running to see if there's a difference. For example, Google Chrome has a stupid glitch where it'll sit and use 13% of my CPU constantly when a Youtube video is open, and sometimes even after I close the Youtube tab. This obviously would affect my performance since the CPU has to deal with an extra process sucking up CPU cycles.

I'm using a 6970m 2 GB oc'd (same as oc'd desktop 6850) with a Core i7 2630QM (as fast as a 3.5 Ghz 1st gen Core i7). My CPU is much faster, but our GPU's are roughly the same. I suggest overclocking your 6850 to 850-900 core, and 1100 RAM at the least.

What are your settings? I'm getting 50+ avg FPS @ 1080p, no SSAO, no motion blur, no DOF and no AA with everything else beyond Ultra quality (better shadows, textures etc). Try copying my settings and tell me how they work for you (I will adjust the VRAM for you though):

TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=650
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
FoliageDistanceScale=1.3
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=0
AllowBlur=0
AllowDOF=0
AllowVignette=1
AllowSharpen=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

knitoe

Ricker said:
Patch downloaded automatically with the game launcher and now it says at the bottom left that it`s ready to be installed...how the hell do I install now?...if I go in the download content it`s not there...
Run the launcher as administrator.

gotee12

Boobphysics, I'm going to try your settings but just in case anyone else is curious...

The 11.6 leak drivers didn't run the game at all. Buggy as all get out. Completely uninstalled them and went back to 11.5b. I also went ahead and downloaded the hacked exe for the Steam version and to manually patch the game. The good news is that my gpu load went down to about 46% utilization and my cpu went down to about 65-70% utilization. The frame rate is slightly better now as it rarely dips into the teens on high settings with the following config...

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=0
AllowSSAO=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=1
MaxCubeShadowSize=256
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=512
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=0.5
ShadowQuality=0
ShadowedLights=0
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=600
UberSampling=0
VSync=1

Before I didn't have a hope of staying in the 30's and now I'm seeing close to 40 on average. Patch 1.2 did give me a slight improvement. What's odd is that now my gpu and cpu are under even less of a load than before and I still have an inconsistent (at least in my opinion) framerate. This gives me hope that a future patch or two will improve the games efficiency to use up the rest of that idle process.

gotee12 said:
Boobphysics, I'm going to try your settings but just in case anyone else is curious...

The 11.6 leak drivers didn't run the game at all. Buggy as all get out. Completely uninstalled them and went back to 11.5b. I also went ahead and downloaded the hacked exe for the Steam version and to manually patch the game. The good news is that my gpu load went down to about 46% utilization and my cpu went down to about 65-70% utilization. The frame rate is slightly better now as it rarely dips into the teens on high settings with the following config...

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=0
AllowSSAO=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=1
MaxCubeShadowSize=256
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=512
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=0.5
ShadowQuality=0
ShadowedLights=0
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=600
UberSampling=0
VSync=1

Before I didn't have a hope of staying in the 30's and now I'm seeing close to 40 on average. Patch 1.2 did give me a slight improvement. What's odd is that now my gpu and cpu are under even less of a load than before and I still have an inconsistent (at least in my opinion) framerate. This gives me hope that a future patch or two will improve the games efficiency to use up the rest of that idle process.

Your config is bugged (as evidenced by the incorrect shadow settings, they won't change even when you adjust them through the configurator). Also, your GPU/CPU utilization is odd... it should be utilizing your GPU to the max, CPU utilization looks normal though. Use the 11.5b drivers if you can.

Use the config I made for you, and MAKE SURE to set it to Read Only by right clicking and hitting Properties ---> Read Only.

burgerdog said:
Steam patch live, 10gigs.

Steam users really did get shafted: late release, late patches, humongous patch sizes... pretty lame. :\ Sorry guys.

gotee12

BoobPhysics101 said:
Your config is bugged ...
Just tried your config. I didn't drop below 27 or so fps so it is an improvement. Thanx!

Btw, I'm "testing" everything in the early part of the game where you try to take the wall with the king and his men. There's roughly 15 dudes on the screen fighting at the same time. Figured that's as good a place as any in the beginning of a game to benchmark. Also, I don't know if my config was bugged as you say or not. I've purposely messed with the shadow settings and have stopped using the configurator long ago opting instead for trusty old notepad.

And my cpu/gpu loads are staying consistent after implementing your config. Though I should say that I'm using GPU-Z for getting my gpu load info. I'm no guru so I may be trusting an inaccurate application to base everything on.

RustyNails said:
Do you know why though? Seems very unwieldy for updates.

Some cross problem between Steam file validation/ the way the game files are organized though all I know for certain is that it is deleting pack0.dzip and then re-downloading it.

Varna

RustyNails said:
Do you know why though? Seems very unwieldy for updates.

Steam can't update files within .zip files and such.

I thought the whole reason the patch was so late was because they were fixing this? This is such crap though. I did a manual install of the patch and steam ignored my "don't update" setting.

Max

I am not Max
ARE YOU KITTEN ME? FIX THE FILE STRUCTURE FOR THE STEAM VERSION

fuck downloading another 10gb with 300kb/s

Why not let us download patches through the launcher?

Max said:
ARE YOU KITTEN ME? FIX THE FILE STRUCTURE FOR THE STEAM VERSION

fuck downloading another 10gb with 300kb/s

Why not let us download patches through the launcher?

It can't do it through launcher for validation issues, google the steam 1.2 workaround and it should be possible.

gotee12

scorpscarx said:
It can't do it through launcher for validation issues, google the steam 1.2 workaround and it should be possible.
I linked to the Steam forum thread a couple posts up if anyone needs it.Here it is again for simplicity...

Edit: I'm starting to wonder if I've been encountering a different bug. I just went back in to play after my last attempt (referenced above) and had the worst slowdown I've yet to experience. I didn't have an fps counter running but it had to be down to the single digits. I get out of the game to see that my 3rd and 4th cores are hung at 100% utilization. Nothing in task manager is (supposedly) using more than 1% of the CPU. Had to reboot the PC to get the 3rd and 4th cores back.

After the reboot I jumped back in to the game and everything seems fine. Tinfoil hat time...

epmode

CDPR talked about how they want to do something about the Steam patching situation... I hope they figure something out soon. This is ridiculous.

knitoe

AMD 11.5b drivers & 11.5 CAP4 fixes CF and light shining through objects issue. Tried the leaked 11.6 beta (above), but it seems to be pre 11.5b because it doesn't have CF fix.

Now, I can enjoy locked 60fps on my third play through on insane.

Edit1: Maybe, I spoke too soon. Now, I am not seeing circle target on enemies or their life bar. Guess, it's a worthwhile trade off.

Edit2: Looks like me messing around with 11.6 beta, and then, reinstalling 11.5b fixes the shining light issue, but removes circle / life bar from enemy targets. Once I did a clean install of 11.5b & 11.5 CAP4, it doesn't fix the shining issue.

gotee12

BoobPhysics101 said:
gotee, I'm starting to think it's your hardware/Windows install that's messed up. Sounds wonky.
I'm wondering now if my hung cores were due to the update trying to run. Everything else I run on the machine does a great job (Shogun 2, Mass Effect 2, Crysis). I think I'm just going to shelve TW2 for a while. I've accumulated 3 hours in the game and only made it about 15 minutes in. It's not worth the frustration right now. sigh

lol! "Hung cores"...

gotee12 said:
I'm wondering now if my hung cores were due to the update trying to run. Everything else I run on the machine does a great job (Shogun 2, Mass Effect 2, Crysis). I think I'm just going to shelve TW2 for a while. I've accumulated 3 hours in the game and only made it about 15 minutes in. It's not worth the frustration right now. sigh

lol! "Hung cores"...

I really think you should try shutting off every other app running in the background so you have a clean slate, then check it again.

So glad my Steam preorder cancel went through the day before release and I switched to GOG version.

My condolences to my bandwidth capped brehs

gotee12

BoobPhysics101 said:
I really think you should try shutting off every other app running in the background so you have a clean slate, then check it again.
Well I can't do anything pertaining to TW2 until the update finishes downloading. Even then, I truly think I'm going to give up on it until the next humongous Steam patch comes around. I'm not going to go through this much trouble for a single game when I have a ton of others that I can play (and I don't have to jump through any hoops for). Heck, I can even play Metro 2033 with high settings on this machine. These issues I'm having with TW2 has just gotta be a bug... I hope...

But really, thank you very much for all of your help! You're awesome man!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
gotee12 said:
:(

Steam decided to start downloading the 9GB patch even though I had it set to never update. Gabe, you've hurt me...
Fuck...second time i've has to dl 9gb...

1st - game
2nd - 1st patch
3rd - 2nd patch

Honestly, wtf?!

Exuro

Alright I'm not sure whats wrong, but I have the med/high spec copied into the user.ini set to read only but in game it's doing whatever my configurator(which is set to all low) is stuck to. Help?

Wallach

So if I bought TW2 off Steam now, would it download 1.2 the first time, or would I have to patch it immediately afterwards? I can't remember.

If so, I might just pay the extra cash to get it off GOG.

Narag

Wallach said:
So if I bought TW2 off Steam now, would it download 1.2 the first time, or would I have to patch it immediately afterwards? I can't remember.

Should download the latest version which is 1.2.

gotee12 said:
Well I can't do anything pertaining to TW2 until the update finishes downloading. Even then, I truly think I'm going to give up on it until the next humongous Steam patch comes around. I'm not going to go through this much trouble for a single game when I have a ton of others that I can play (and I don't have to jump through any hoops for). Heck, I can even play Metro 2033 with high settings on this machine. These issues I'm having with TW2 has just gotta be a bug... I hope...

But really, thank you very much for all of your help! You're awesome man!

Thanks dude, if you need any more help just post in the thread or PM me.

Wallach said:

It'll already be updated to 1.2, so you won't have to download anything extra.

Buying it off GOG gives 100% of your money to the developers, just so you know.

Exuro said:
Alright I'm not sure whats wrong, but I have the med/high spec copied into the user.ini set to read only but in game it's doing whatever my configurator(which is set to all low) is stuck to. Help?

Pasted it into the User.ini in My Documents and NOT the one in Program Files (x86) ---> Witcher 2, right?

BoobPhysics101 said:
Can you please turn on Anisotropic Filtering 16x in Radeon Pro or the CCC if you haven't already? I believe this will solve your problem.

Set LOD to 0 when you do so.

16xAF is forced in all of those shots I tried all manner of tweaks after my last post and nothing helped. I googled more and it sounds like I am not the only one. It seems like there must be some odd setting lurking around that survived the uninstalls.

Narag

Narag said:
That total loss of control bug happened to me and was reproducible via cutscene dialogue of all things. Aggravating and it stalled my playthrough.

Seems 1.2 fixed this for me. Save at that point still has no control but I was able to proceed through the cutscene after the patch. I'll get back into this over the weekend.

For some reason, the voices are glitchy in my game. I noticed this happened after 1.2 install. Whenever someone speaks, there's "breaks" in the voice and its very annoying. I don't know how to describe it. It's not stuttering, but sort of "ch" noises when characters are speaking. My headset is a simple garden variety headset+mic by logitech. Anyone know how to fix this?

I would really love to play this game in a pseudo-first person view with the camera like inside his head, and/or very far like it is during combat, its too close to him by default.

Anyone know where we might be able to change this value.

Acosta

One question, am I am the only one who sees a big difference with uber sample? the amount of AA and detail is breathtaking. It forces my fps to 30 fps and under in 720p, but damn, I'm not sure if it´s my mind playing tricks with me or what. Anyone else?

Wallach

Acosta said:
One question, am I am the only one who sees a big difference with uber sample? the amount of AA and detail is breathtaking. It forces my fps to 30 fps and under in 720p, but damn, I'm not sure if it´s my mind playing tricks with me or what. Anyone else?

It should look amazing, it's supersampling. It's how uhhh that one guy always makes sick screenshots in the high-res screenshot thread. Game renders the image at a much higher resolution then downsamples that to whatever resolution you're playing at. Obviously quite hard on your video card since it is doing very heavy rendering before downsampling.

krzy123

Just played through the Prologue last night. Using one of BoobPhysics's ini files, (the one recommend for the 260gtx, used AA though, which makes a huge difference IQ wise). Averaged >30-60 fps overall, I could probably count the areas by hand on where it was <30fps, plus there were a handful of "loading" hiccups/pop-ins, I've seen worse though. Used D3DOverrider as well. Most of the 60 fps situations were during the cutscenes.

My cpu an OC'ed E6600 (3.06 GHz) 1650x1020 res. I thought it looked and played great. Guess I'll be seeing how it plays in the Flotsam area now ... Evga precision reported GPU usage was pegged at 80%+ and used between 500-800MB vram.

Top Bottom