• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Chill. Steam is fixing this in the next patch, beta for said patch available now, try it and see if that fixes it for you.

Features
- Initial client side support for upcoming improved content delivery system (groundwork for future performance/reliability improvements to downloads)
- Added “copy link” option to web browser right click menu
- Added suggested friends from Facebook display in client, if you’ve linked with Facebook
- Added the ability to push screenshots to Facebook after upload

gotee12

YESS!!!!!!!! I gots the magic in my pants again!!!!!

After all the trouble I had getting this game to maintain a decent (30 or better) framerate , I simply deleted the entire game and had Steam redownload it. Huzzah!!!! Now the section where I was seeing dips down into the teens on, now only dropped into the upper 20's twice, and briefly at that, with AA turned on! I can frigging play the game now.

Also, before anyone asks, I did have Steam to verify the files several times before and after patch 1.2. I guess the file verification isn't an absolute. Maybe it has something to do with this whole pak0.dzip debacle. Eh, I don't know.

So for anyone else that's getting framerates that just don't match the card (I get solid 30+ in Metro 2033 on very high settings, DX11 and DoF on), and you just can't get TW2 to play with a solid framerate, try deleting/reinstalling the game.

It shouldn't be a big deal, you should be used to re-downloading the entire game off of Steam by now! :p

Echoplx

scorpscarx said:
Chill. Steam is fixing this in the next patch, beta for said patch available now, try it and see if that fixes it for you.

It doesn't fix anything yet, if you actually read what you posted it just adds client side support, they still need to update the content servers.

Gvaz

Banned
CPU: Phenom X3 720 @ 3.2GHz
GPU: XFX 4890 1GB
Resolution: 1920x1200
Location (of test): Chapter 2
Framerate: 30-50 fps (outside)
Patch: 1.1

I have it set to high settings, with Textures to max, AA off, Vsync off, all blurring off. Using that custom .ini setting posted earlier.

3chopl0x said:
It doesn't fix anything yet, if you actually read what you posted it just adds client side support, they still need to update the content servers.

Wishful thinking, I read what I posted multiple times. I nominate you for new mod since you love to police people so much. Your especially out for me.... how many times now have you gone out of your way to prematurely denounce me?

Echoplx

scorpscarx said:
Wishful thinking, I read what I posted multiple times. I nominate you for new mod since you love to police people so much. Your especially out for me.... how many times now have you gone out of your way to prematurely denounce me?

I don't really pay much attention to who I'm talking to, so no I'm not targeting you or calling you an idiot, sorry if my post came out that way.

Jomjom

Banned
I know this is a super dumb question (please forgive me I just recently got into PC gaming), but I installed Witcher 2 on my current laptop and realized I couldn't really play it. I put in my CD key to register and everything to get the patches and whatnot. Now I'm going to buy a new laptop that should be able to play it. I don't know anything about DRM on the Witcher 2; what would I need to do to install it on my new laptop when it arrives? Is there some way to detach it from my current laptop or something like that?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jling84 said:
I know this is a super dumb question (please forgive me I just recently got into PC gaming), but I installed Witcher 2 on my current laptop and realized I couldn't really play it. I put in my CD key to register and everything to get the patches and whatnot. Now I'm going to buy a new laptop that should be able to play it. I don't know anything about DRM on the Witcher 2; what would I need to do to install it on my new laptop when it arrives? Is there some way to detach it from my current laptop or something like that?

You should uninstall the game, deactivate it (it should be done automatically), then install it on your new laptop. As far as I know patch 1.2 removes DRM completely and patches in all DLC, so I guess you'll be fine any way.

Jomjom

Banned
subversus said:
You should uninstall the game, deactivate it (it should be done automatically), then install it on your new laptop. As far as I know patch 1.2 removes DRM completely and patches in all DLC, so I guess you'll be fine any way.

Ah I see thanks!

Maybe not the best place to ask about this computer problem but I'm sure someone can answer me.

So I just realized I did'nt actually update my ATI drivers. So the AMD Catalyst is at 10.2 and I downloaded the 11.5 update, but when I run it it basically locks up and Windows reports that the program has stopped and the update doesn't actually go through. I'm not sure what the problem is. I ran it in a recommended compatibility thing, but it did'nt work. Do un-install Catalyst and just install 11.5? Can I do that with the 11.5 drive I downloaded?

Is there any where I can find an idiot's guide, scratch that, a mentally disabled person's guide to installing a mod? I want to install the bigger text mod and no weight limit, but I've never installed a mod before. Blame 30 years of console gaming. I see stuff like drag it to file C file/:config.exe.witcher2.mod (I made that up) and I think, yeah, I'm a fucking idiot.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
burgerdog said:
Finally decided to patch to 1.2 and my game now crashes to the desktop every two minutes. Joy.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27992189&postcount=1568

Is there any where I can find an idiot's guide, scratch that, a mentally disabled person's guide to installing a mod? I want to install the bigger text mod and no weight limit, but I've never installed a mod before. Blame 30 years of console gaming. I see stuff like drag it to file C file/:config.exe.witcher2.mod (I made that up) and I think, yeah, I'm a fucking idiot.

Just put whatever mod you want inside the CookedPC folder.

GillianSeed79 said:

Most of the mods will come pre-packaged in a file called CookedPC. Navigate to wherever you installed the game and paste the mod into the main directory as in Program Files(x86)/GOG.com (or Steam or whatever it is)/The Witcher 2. The script will then add itself where it's needed.

The mod will go wherever it has to go in the CookedPC file. All the mods I've came with instructions in a text file. Check them out.

Dosia

Sorry I am new to computer gaming so this may be a dumb question. Is it normal to have little black lines through everything like the leaves and faces etc? I have the sets all cranked to high but have SSAO off along with uber sampling, and motion blur. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.

Gvaz

Banned
Dosia said:
Sorry I am new to computer gaming so this may be a dumb question. Is it normal to have little black lines through everything like the leaves and faces etc? I have the sets all cranked to high but have SSAO off along with uber sampling, and motion blur. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.

That's the style of shadowing the game uses. These are less apparent if you have Ubersampling on, but almost no one today can run that setting efficiently.

Dosia

Gvaz said:
That's the style of shadowing the game uses. These are less apparent if you have Ubersampling on, but almost no one today can run that setting efficiently.

Thanks for the quick response. Ok that is good to hear. Just wanted to make sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
vlttp even tho i preordered but i was just wondering:
- Nvidia owners should trying uninstalling 3D drivers & updating to latest drivers, may improve performance drastically
How exactly do you uninstall just the 3D drivers? I just install from the nvidia auto-detect site. Have a gtx 295.

Checked one of the intro missions and I seem to be getting 45-70 on ultra on my rig so pretty good so far I think, although I remember from W1 some crazy-ass scenes that would destroy almost any rig (cerberus, grrr).

Gvaz

Banned
AstroLad said:
vlttp even tho i preordered but i was just wondering:

How exactly do you uninstall just the 3D drivers? I just install from the nvidia auto-detect site. Have a gtx 295.

Checked one of the intro missions and I seem to be getting 45-70 on ultra on my rig so pretty good so far I think, although I remember from W1 some crazy-ass scenes that would destroy almost any rig (cerberus, grrr).
You choose custom when you install and uncheck the 3D drivers

Tenck

Such a bummer, that I can't get this game to install. I just went back to Walmart to return the game and get a new copy, since I was positive I saw some problems with the disc. I come back home only to find out it's been the damn game all along. I've read on multiple websites that the retail version has problems for a lot of people.

I'm just about to go on a killing spree since now that I bought the game, I can't return it for a refund. CDProjekt isn't entitled to give me a free game, and I can't sell it because someone might think I'm giving them a copy that I already registered. This is by far the worst experience I've ever had with a PC game.

Tenck

subversus said:
Tenck, what problems do you have?

ZOS8k.jpg

=/

aeolist

Banned
Strongly considering turning the difficulty down to easy. Actually is that even possible mid-game?

Normal is waaaaay too fucking hard for me. Dying at least 5 times for every encounter is not fun. The first prologue fight took me literally an hour.

subversus

aeolist said:
Strongly considering turning the difficulty down to easy. Actually is that even possible mid-game?

Normal is waaaaay too fucking hard for me. Dying at least 5 times for every encounter is not fun. The first prologue fight took me literally an hour.

Yes. But you're doing something wrong.

1) quen
2) roll
3)avoid beng surrounded
4) DON'T mash buttons - use strong attacks with fast attacks, use strong attacks on heavy enemies, fast attacks on lightweight ones.
5) use alchemy
6) block but remember about vigor

It's a turn-based game pretending to be a hack'n'slash

Tenck

subversus said:
Also try the solution from the last post on this page

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/the-...s.php?topic_id=m-1-59158423&pid=975399&page=2

And visit thewitcher.com support section + gog forums.

Two things I could do. Torrent it or buy a new CD/DVD drive. It sucks that I have to pay money (even more) out of my pocket to buy something to make the game work.

My internet is way too slow, so I wouldn't even try that. Takes me 2 hours for a damn gigabyte. Yeah that bad =/

I think I'll give up on this for a while. Maybe get someone to take it off my hands.

Akkad

Banned
aeolist said:

I had the same problem, but it was because I was forgetting to block.

Tenck

Gvaz said:
Either the disk you have is bad or your disk drive is bad.

I was suggested to update it with a BIOS update, but I have absolutely no idea on how to even remotely do that. If someone could help, then I would appreciate it.

Dunno if it's my disc drive, because I have installed a number of games already.

Gvaz

Banned
Tenck said:
Two things I could do. Torrent it or buy a new CD/DVD drive. It sucks that I have to pay money (even more) out of my pocket to buy something to make the game work.

My internet is way too slow, so I wouldn't even try that. Takes me 2 hours for a damn gigabyte. Yeah that bad =/

I think I'll give up on this for a while. Maybe get someone to take it off my hands.
It's not really the game's fault. It's just something that happens. Some drives are just of poor quality and can't read certain pressed disks perfectly, and some disks just weren't pressed right.

Tenck said:
I was suggested to update it with a BIOS update, but I have absolutely no idea on how to even remotely do that. If someone could help, then I would appreciate it.

Dunno if it's my disc drive, because I have installed a number of games already.

We'd need to know the make and model of your disc drive.

Like on my laptop, right click properties of the drive, then click the hardware tab and my drive shows up as:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-U20N

subversus

Tenck said:

Check your PM

gdt

I had the same problem, just follow their advice, it won't work, then they'll give you a free GOG version (after you prove ownership with a pic of your cd-key).

Mashing

So I finished Witcher 1 one last night and started up Witcher 2. It crashed to the desktop after about an hour (right during the second Foltest cutscene). Ugh. I thought they'd might have fixed that shit in the sequel (Witcher 1 crashed atleast 50 times during my playthrough--so I was saving literally once a minute). I suppose it's par for the course for a european developed PC game.

Gvaz

Banned
I think I crashed maybe 3-4 times total and 3 of those were in chapter 1.

There's just something weird with flotsam.

Compare that with about 20 times tops in tw1 though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
How do i get my game to download patches through the launcher? I have the gog version and it doesnt seem to do anything other than let me start the game. I run it with admin privs on Vista.

I also downloaded the 1.2 patch manualy and when i try to run it, it says 'installed game version is invalid or incomplete'.

Nice to see the devs provide a many number of ways for this game to be broken, especially after my whole retail disc cyclic reduncy error bullshit.

This might be the best place to put this, but I'm seriously thinking about building my first PC this week. I got all the parts ready to order on Amazon, just waiting for my MacBook sale to go through, but would this run The Witcher 2 fairly well?

Phenom II X4 3.2 ghz 955 Black Edition.
4GB of Ram
XFI 6870 HD

I'll probably upgrade the ram down the road, but will I be able to play in glorious HD with stable framerates and such?

Gvaz

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
How do i get my game to download patches through the launcher? I have the gog version and it doesnt seem to do anything other than let me start the game. I run it with admin privs on Vista.

I also downloaded the 1.2 patch manualls and when i try to run it, it says 'installed game version is invalid or incomplete'.

Nice to see the devs provide a many number of ways for this game to be broken, especially after my whole retail disc cyclic reduncy error bullshit.
afaik you can't right now?

The 1.2 patch should be simple though since there's just one patch now. usually if it says that on a patch it's from stuff in your cooked pc like dlcs and mods and whatnot (though I never had this issue, others said these were the culprits)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Gvaz said:
afaik you can't right now?

The 1.2 patch should be simple though since there's just one patch now. usually if it says that on a patch it's from stuff in your cooked pc like dlcs and mods and whatnot (though I never had this issue, others said these were the culprits)
I had to do a workaround thing where apparently for the gog version you have to download 1.1 off their website, then launch the game to download 1.2 automatically. Nice that it changed all my config settings though.

Download the 1.1 patch from the gog website (it's in your list of TW2 content).

Install that then reopen the launcher, 1.2 should start downloading automatically.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Tenck said:

I had the exact same problem you did, and the solution was to gently clean the DVDs with a moist piece of toilet paper.

Apparently dual layered DVD9 disks are super sensitive and the Witcher 2 ones can ship in a non-pristine condition. If toilet paper doesn't seem like quite enough, you can try gently cleaning the disks with a small amount of tooth paste. You can also try blowing out your DVD drive in case there's dust on the laser lens.

If that doesn't work, you can try another PC's DVD drive and making an ISO of the file and then running that from a virtual drive on your gaming PC.

Top Bottom