• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Finally got 1.2 downloaded (steam version...9Gb fail...), Running 11.5b ATI drivers on my 17" Macbook Pro

Was running the default "medium" settings at 720p, framerate was low 20's high 30's. Decided to do the tweaks to the .ini as
reccomended in the OT.
Getting Mid 40's around Flotsam now. Feels much smoother, but the graphics appear to have taken a real noticible dive.

Upped my res to 1080p and it looks better, but texture quality appears real low in places, and I get a lot more noticible pop in. Frame-rate is mid 30's now.

Live with it, or is there anything else in the .ini that I can tweak?

Contemplating the GFX card overclocking that is apparently pretty easyy to do as well.

Windows 7 X64
Intel I7 2.3Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6750M (Not Overclocked)

flgjo6.jpg

LINK TO FULL SIZE

9jf9fo.jpg

LINK TO FULL SIZE

EXAMPLE OF LOW RES (No preview image, as it's just a floor).

[Engine]
CustomRenderingSettings=0
PerformancePlatform=1

[Input]
KeyboardLayout=QWERTY

[MouseInput]
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=1

[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=0
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
FoliageDistanceScale=1.0
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=2
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.0
ShadowQuality=2
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=700
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

Tenck

Servizio said:
I had the exact same problem you did, and the solution was to gently clean the DVDs with a moist piece of toilet paper.

Apparently dual layered DVD9 disks are super sensitive and the Witcher 2 ones can ship in a non-pristine condition. If toilet paper doesn't seem like quite enough, you can try gently cleaning the disks with a small amount of tooth paste. You can also try blowing out your DVD drive in case there's dust on the laser lens.

If that doesn't work, you can try another PC's DVD drive and making an ISO of the file and then running that from a virtual drive on your gaming PC.

At this point I'll try anything. Thanks for the heads up.

Nihilistic Monk said:
Finally got 1.2 downloaded (steam version...9Gb fail...), Running 11.5b ATI drivers on my 17" Macbook Pro

Was running the default "medium" settings at 720p, framerate was low 20's high 30's. Decided to do the tweaks to the .ini as
reccomended in the OT.
Getting Mid 40's around Flotsam now. Feels much smoother, but the graphics appear to have taken a real noticible dive.

Upped my res to 1080p and it looks better, but texture quality appears real low in places, and I get a lot more noticible pop in. Frame-rate is mid 30's now.

Live with it, or is there anything else in the .ini that I can tweak?

Contemplating the GFX card overclocking that is apparently pretty easyy to do as well.

Windows 7 X64
Intel I7 2.3Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6750M (Not Overclocked)

flgjo6.jpg

LINK TO FULL SIZE

9jf9fo.jpg

LINK TO FULL SIZE

EXAMPLE OF LOW RES (No preview image, as it's just a floor).

very odd. The ini settings should force max texture quality. Go into your Catalyst Control Panel and set MipMapping and Texture Filtering to High Quality, see if that fixes the issue.

Hm. I´m not impressed by the perfomance of this game so far. I´m running the game on a laptop with a Core i7 720q processor and a Ati 5830 graphics card. I maxed out Portal 2 in 1980 resolution with a perfect framerate, but I´m having trouble running this game on medium settings almost. It´s playable, but I´m dissapointed at the performance.

I have looked at the OP and is trying to follow that, but does anyone havy any quick advice for laptop users with ATI cards?

Gvaz

Banned
I heard that with 1.2 the game is overwriting the settings for some people even when they set it to read only. Any one else have that issue?

CecilRousso said:
Hm. I´m not impressed by the perfomance of this game so far. I´m running the game on a laptop with a Core i7 720q processor and a Ati 5830 graphics card. I maxed out Portal 2 in 1980 resolution with a perfect framerate, but I´m having trouble running this game on medium settings almost. It´s playable, but I´m dissapointed at the performance.

I have looked at the OP and is trying to follow that, but does anyone havy any quick advice for laptop users with ATI cards?

You have a 5830. That's slightly worse than a 4890 in some aspects. A 4890 can only do about medium level to high.

Gvaz said:
You have a 5830. That's slightly worse than a 4890 in some aspects. A 4890 can only do about medium level to high.

Yep, I know that it´s hardly state of the art, but it has been good to me in so many games, Portal 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, The Total War games, so I expected better at medium.

I read some of the posts in OP, followed a couple of the links, and started looking around in Catalyst Control Center. It turns out I still had left forced settings for anistropic filtering on, and I turned it off so it would follow program settings instead.

And wow, the performance is so much better now. Tried Arma 2 also, and it was just amazingly better. It feels odd that a setting could do that, but it was the only thing I changed between the two game sessions now.

Gvaz

Banned
A 4890 is still a very capable card (barring stuff like Metro2033 at 1080p) but for TW2, it's not that powerful.

The M.O.B

samus4ever said:
This might be the best place to put this, but I'm seriously thinking about building my first PC this week. I got all the parts ready to order on Amazon, just waiting for my MacBook sale to go through, but would this run The Witcher 2 fairly well?

Phenom II X4 3.2 ghz 955 Black Edition.
4GB of Ram
XFI 6870 HD

I'll probably upgrade the ram down the road, but will I be able to play in glorious HD with stable framerates and such?

I have that exact same setup. On all setting at high I'm getting around 40 fps constant.

Gvaz said:
A 4890 is still a very capable card (barring stuff like Metro2033 at 1080p) but for TW2, it's not that powerful.

Well in the first chapter it feels like about 30+ FPS in 1080p with medium (medium+ actually since I tweaked some of the settings up a bit) graphics, so it´s absolutely good enough for me now.

Gvaz

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Well in the first chapter it feels like about 30+ FPS in 1080p with medium (medium+ actually since I tweaked some of the settings up a bit) graphics, so it´s absolutely good enough for me now.
I have a slower processor and a 4890 and before patch 1.1 and the ATI patch I got about 40fps in that area only to get 30fps in chapter 2. After the 1.1 patch and the driver I get 30-50fps in chapter 2 (the most intensive chapter).

I tried high settings now, but disabled SSOA, motion blur (which just annoyed me anyway) and antialiasing, and I definitely still have over 30 fps. And the difference between medium and high were noticeable, to say the least :).

This game feels really good now.

BoobPhysics101 said:
very odd. The ini settings should force max texture quality. Go into your Catalyst Control Panel and set MipMapping and Texture Filtering to High Quality, see if that fixes the issue.

Dont seem to have those options in my CCC

16c2g4m.png

I have tweaked the catalyst AI setting. Floor might look a bit better now.

I'm also seeing really obvious texture joints on the floor, is this normal?

2eczo7o.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
AMD's new drivers seem to improve somewhat, I got crazy stuttering issues in chapter 2 and using 11.6 RC2 they were eliminated. Framerate is still shit though. Just throwing that out there though if anyone else has encountered any stuttering, the new drivers seem to fix it at least :)

Hawk269

GillianSeed79 said:
Is there any where I can find an idiot's guide, scratch that, a mentally disabled person's guide to installing a mod? I want to install the bigger text mod and no weight limit, but I've never installed a mod before. Blame 30 years of console gaming. I see stuff like drag it to file C file/:config.exe.witcher2.mod (I made that up) and I think, yeah, I'm a fucking idiot.

I been out of the loop and am also new to PC gaming. What is this Mod that increases the text size? I game on my 55" TV and it would be nice if the text in the hints boxes be a little bigger. Where can I find it? I am not interested in the weight reduction cause it is meant to be that way, but the text size is more a preference that I would like.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hawk269 said:
I been out of the loop and am also new to PC gaming. What is this Mod that increases the text size? I game on my 55" TV and it would be nice if the text in the hints boxes be a little bigger. Where can I find it? I am not interested in the weight reduction cause it is meant to be that way, but the text size is more a preference that I would like.

It's linked in the OP, never tried it myself. Also you should sift through that first link that brings to a Google mod list / check TW2 Nexus to see if there's a more up to date version.

Patch 1.3 news (thanks Yurt) from the main thread:

Patch 1.3 news said:
we would like to assure you that announcing the Xbox 360 version of the game does not mean discontinuing support for the PC version. We read your comments, we listen to your opinions and we are working hard on the patch. Among other fixes the patch 1.3 will add support for 4:3 resolutions.

elithrar

For those of you using the latest 27" iMac's with the 6970M, here's the User.ini I'm running. Netting around 35-45fps steady, with barely a drop. I'm using the 2GB 6970M overclocked to 800/1100 mind you, but these settings should be a good reference point:

Code:
[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=1
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=0.9
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=1
MaxCubeShadowSize=512
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=512
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=0.9
ShadowQuality=2
ShadowedLights=2
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1000
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

Screenshot here: http://www.cl.ly/1v1z34142Z182b2I0M09

Aurarian

Minsc said:
Patch 1.3 news (thanks Yurt) from the main thread.
Originally Posted by Patch 1.3 news:
we would like to assure you that announcing the Xbox 360 version of the game does not mean discontinuing support for the PC version. We read your comments, we listen to your opinions and we are working hard on the patch. Among other fixes the patch 1.3 will add support for 4:3 resolutions.

At least I can finally play on my native resolution it seems(not 4:3 but 16:10).

rogue74

I don't know if this thread or the OT is the right place for this one but:

Has anyone messed around with the gamma settings in the game menu? During the prologue, when you jump down the well to find your way into the monastery, the tutorial tool tip comes up and tells you to use Cat. Thing is I could see everything just fine. I just got the feeling that I should be straining to see in the dark and that the gamma might be off.

I got the same feeling when I escaped from my cell in the dungeon. The game tells you to blow out torches to hide in the dark. Yet everything is still clearly visible when you blow out the torch.

I had no such problems in Witcher 1 (which I finished just a few weeks prior to getting this game). When I went into a cave or crypt, it immediately became too dark to see and I needed a torch or potion.

I wish the game would include a picture to help with gamma calibration in the menu.

This game feels really f*cked up. After getting a good performance yesterday, the game has more or less stopped working. The saves takes forever to load, and when they finally are done loading after several minuqutes, the perfomance is worse than ever, and the game looks quite bad.

I´ve tried other games, like Empire: Total War and Arma 2, and they work fine, with very good perfomance.

Tried to reset the ini file back to the old one, and tried low settings, but it still takes a couple of minutes to load a save.

CecilRousso said:
This game feels really f*cked up. After getting a good performance yesterday, the game has more or less stopped working. The saves takes forever to load, and when they finally are done loading after several minuqutes, the perfomance is worse than ever, and the game looks quite bad.

I´ve tried other games, like Empire: Total War and Arma 2, and they work fine, with very good perfomance.

Tried to reset the ini file back to the old one, and tried low settings, but it still takes a couple of minutes to load a save.

Delete most of your old saves. This is a known bug.

rogue74 said:
I don't know if this thread or the OT is the right place for this one but:

Has anyone messed around with the gamma settings in the game menu? During the prologue, when you jump down the well to find your way into the monastery, the tutorial tool tip comes up and tells you to use Cat. Thing is I could see everything just fine. I just got the feeling that I should be straining to see in the dark and that the gamma might be off.

I got the same feeling when I escaped from my cell in the dungeon. The game tells you to blow out torches to hide in the dark. Yet everything is still clearly visible when you blow out the torch.

I had no such problems in Witcher 1 (which I finished just a few weeks prior to getting this game). When I went into a cave or crypt, it immediately became too dark to see and I needed a torch or potion.

I wish the game would include a picture to help with gamma calibration in the menu.

It's not your gamma, you just don't really need it there. There's really only one location in the game that I found cat useful (in chapter 2), otherwise you don't need it.

C2Q

Banned
Can someone help me with these mods.
After unpacking pack0.dzip and replacing whatever it is i want, how to do i repack it and replace it back into the TW2 folder?

Salaadin

From twitter, Catalyst 11.6 will be released tomorrow. No word on if there will be TW2 fixes but it should be worth looking at.

gotee12

C2Q said:
Can someone help me with these mods.
After unpacking pack0.dzip and replacing whatever it is i want, how to do i repack it and replace it back into the TW2 folder?
What few mods I've used were simply dropped into the CookedPC folder inside of my Witcher 2 folder.

Jerk

Banned
C2Q said:
How does that work? I wanted the zero weight mod and i need to replace the weights xml file in the items. But in order to access the items folder i need to unpack the pack0.dzip
I want to know how to repack everything back into pack0.dzip so i can replace it in the TW2 folder.

Create the folder in cookedpc. The folder in there will override the packed one.

Xtyle

got a question here
my PC is setup using dual monitor. Would disabling the second monitor improve frame rate when playing games like Witcher 2?

C2Q

Banned
Can someone plz explain. I'm having an odd problem of the game not utilizing all my GPU. Basically my gpu usage will fluctuate between 50-99% and my fps will drop depending on usage. At 99 i can easily get 30 average but on 50-60 the game just becomes super choppy. :(

gotee12

C2Q said:
Can someone plz explain. I'm having an odd problem of the game not utilizing all my GPU. Basically my gpu usage will fluctuate between 50-99% and my fps will drop depending on usage. At 99 i can easily get 30 average but on 50-60 the game just becomes super choppy. :(
Steam user? Have you tried deleting/reinstalling the game? I had poor performance and under utilization of both CPU/gpu until I deleted/reinstalled. It was like a completely different game for me after that.

Of course make backups of your user.ini if you try this. The reinstall did not delete or alter my user.ini but better safe than sorry. You also want to make copies of gamesaves. It didn't delete those either, but, you know.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did the 4:3 patch get released?

gdt

miladesn said:
I've been out of loop, did they fix the 360 pad issue ,that was introduced in 1.1, in 1.2 or 1.3 patch?

.....Yes. Mostly. A new issue pops up where sometimes some buttons don't respond at all in battle (after you've been hit), though. I've had it happen....4/5 times max.

Minsc

Gold Member
miladesn said:
I've been out of loop, did they fix the 360 pad issue ,that was introduced in 1.1, in 1.2 or 1.3 patch?

Yes, there's still an issue I haven't encountered though, in the OP, where you're unable to do anything but move around I guess, it's fixable by getting hit in combat, some sort of bug. I haven't encountered it myself, and the pad's functioning for me in 1.2 as good as it was in 1.0.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Man after watching the GT review, I really, really want to play this. Sucks, my comp can't even hope to run it, but I guess I'll have to wait to 360 version (any timeframe on that).

Yea, same week as Skyrim, November something or another.

Wallach

Minsc said:
Yes, there's still an issue I haven't encountered though, in the OP, where you're unable to do anything but move around I guess, it's fixable by getting hit in combat, some sort of bug. I haven't encountered it myself, and the pad's functioning for me in 1.2 as good as it was in 1.0.

I loaded up the prologue just to see how it was running after getting everything configured (using 30 FPS limiter) and this happened to me in the very first instance of combat. They need to figure that shit out.

Despera

Banned
Abut the text size mod I mentioned before, the "units per em" were a little too big and caused some text to disappear from the screen.

I prefer to use this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?ktxlwv978sridoa

The text aint as big as the one posted before, but it's more than good enough and has better compatibility. Just remember to put it in here and replace the .otf file with the same name:

[The Witcher 2\CookedPC\globals\gui\fonts]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to edit the text size manually, you can use a program like [FontCreater]. Here's how:

1- Open FontCreater and drag and drop the otf file on it.

2- Click on Format and from the drop box choose Settings:

3rYn5.jpg

3- Edit the Units per em to change text size (The default number for the game is 1000, the number I prefer using is 850. Basically, the lower you go, the bigger the text. Anything lower than 850 though might cause some text to disappear.):

0mGQc.jpg

Note: If you can't save the file as a .otf and you want it in that format, save it as a .ttf and use this website to convert it to .otf: http://www.freefontconverter.com/

Hope this helps.

elithrar

TheDrowningMan said:
Err, is this supposed to take a long time to install? I've had it going for over 10 minutes and it's still not a quarter done.

Sure is. Took ages on my machine (and it's brand new).

Yeah, I guess I'm just not used to PC installs (it's been a long, looooooooong time since I've played a large, visually intensive game on anything but a console).

Pretty surprised at how reasonably it's running given that I've only a dual-core i3 (2010 iMac). Admittedly I'm happily playing with medium settings (minus bloom) at 720p but I'm averaging way over 30 fps outside (albeit with occasional drops considerably lower) and 60+ within most buildings. Nothing to the PC elite, but it satisfies this console gamer, and there's plenty more to turn down if it chugs later.

Van Owen

Banned
Does anyone else know how to get rid of the weird lines on the faces? It sort of looks like you're looking at them through a screen door. I'm also not sure the user.ini settings are sticking even when I put it on read only...

Ob7BZ.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Van Owen said:
Does anyone else know how to get rid of the weird lines on the faces? It sort of looks like you're looking at them through a screen door. I'm also not sure the user.ini settings are sticking even when I put it on read only...

That's just the way it handles shadows... disappointing, but I guess perhaps a limitation of DX9's ability to merge a ton of different filters together, not entirely sure. Either way, it's normal, and unfortunately not a whole lot can be done except turning on ubersampling, which isn't really an option for most people. I don't really notice it too often though, on my monitor anyway, running at 1080p. It tends to pop up in certain areas a lot worse than others, I'd say I only see it around 10% of the time, but I may just be good at subconsciously ignoring it too.

Eusis

Man, I install the 11.6 Radeon drivers for my (non-crossfire) 4870, and the light issue from the hotfix is STILL there, and more annoyingly I THINK my stuttering problem is slightly smoothed out with this update. I was hoping this would've fixed it, but I guess not.

Actually, any tips on settings to kill suttering on a 512mb 4870? I seem to mostly get it on top of a hill in Flotsam forest, has a statue at the top, if a screenshot's needed I'll take one. Thanks.

Minsc said:
That's just the way it handles shadows... disappointing, but I guess perhaps a limitation of DX9's ability to merge a ton of different filters together, not entirely sure. Either way, it's normal, and unfortunately not a whole lot can be done except turning on ubersampling, which isn't really an option for most people.
This made me curious to try out ubersampling, even though my PC really isn't equipped for it. Though the 18fps was a little distracting, I honestly don't think the image quality improvement over the "normal" AA setting is particularly impressive. Shadows look a little better, but when stuff's actually happening I don't notice the stippled effect anyway.

Mostly I'm pleased to know I'm not actually missing anything, since everything else (except motion blur) is turned on.

Stupid question about CAP profiles, do I need to keep old versions installed, since I noticed they are piling up, or just have latest one?

Edit: they are all inclusive, /stooopid

Andrea23

11.5b
witcher2201106161755416.jpg

11.5b + 11.6 CAP1
witcher2201106161801240.jpg

To solve the "corona problem", that pass through the walls... AMD have completely removed the effect : |. I think i'll stay with Cata 11.5b till the end of the game : S.

Ps. 11.6 on my rig x°°D (obviously rocksolid with 11.5b).

Top Bottom