• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

grendelrt

Geoff9920 said:
Ugh... performance on my 5970 has changed from 60-80fps at highest settings to 35-44. Looks like crossfire got borked with the update (for my card at least). :-\ Maybe AMD will put a new profile up.

I have a 5970 with a vsync on I am capped at 60FPS and only drop to maybe 55fps every once in a while, everything max except uber. I am only on chapter 1 though, so I dont know if that matters.

Geoff9920

grendelrt said:
I have a 5970 with a vsync on I am capped at 60FPS and only drop to maybe 55fps every once in a while, everything max except uber. I am only on chapter 1 though, so I dont know if that matters.
Weird, my fps differences are from the same spot in chapter 2. No idea what's going on here then.

grendelrt

Geoff9920 said:
11.6 drivers and I believe the profiles were dated 6/30. I'm at work at the moment so I can't double check the version number.

Yeah those are the same ones I am using. 11.7 profiles and drivers are being released next week, maybe a update with those will help.

_Xenon_

Banned
After the 1.3 patch the over bloom problem seems come back (even though bloom is turned off!). In some of the cutscenes I basically can't see anything because the screen is 80% covered by a huge white block. Any idea how to fix this? I'm running the retail version.

Steam version here. Looks like I did a good thing by denying the patch program UAC permission when starting up last night. Steam had already auto-download like 120 megs of stuff for the patch. But I didn't let the patcher run at all by denying it UAC privs. I hope that means it wasn't able to patch to 1.3.

The only wierd thing was that when I loaded up my save game, Geralt had no hands and feet! The models had just disappeared into thin air. I looked and it seemed that the gloves and boots from my inventory had disappared. That was wierd. I put on another pair and his hands/legs were back.

I might consider moving to the new patch when they get the no-weight mod working on 1.3, not before then for sure. Maybe when they have a hotfix out that fixes issues being seen by people here I will feel better about upgrading.

mileS

_Xenon_ said:
After the 1.3 patch the over bloom problem seems come back (even though bloom is turned off!). In some of the cutscenes I basically can't see anything because the screen is 80% covered by a huge white block. Any idea how to fix this? I'm running the retail version.

hmm, what GPU & Drivers do you have?

brb

Welp, I can probably run this game for a good 10-15 minutes on the lowest settings before my laptop overheats a shuts off. No biggie since I bought it from GOG and can just download it again with no hassle. :)

_Xenon_

Banned
mileS said:
hmm, what GPU & Drivers do you have?
ATI 5730
CCC 11.6

Never mind. The problem solved itself. Just switched the scene and the wired bloom thing disappeared. It seems to be a patch bug I guess.

MountZion

Neo Member
I apologize for bringing this up again, but I am also having problems with pop-in / viewing distance. I changed the setting to ultra first (making sure that it is not read only) and then changed the user.ini. I tried setting Meshdistance and foliagedistance as high as 7.5. Currently I have them both changed back to 4.5, and I see no difference whatsoever.

Its not a huuuuge issue of course, but it is pretty noticeable, especially in Chapter 3. Sigh.

x3sphere

So, after installing the 1.3 patch, 2560x1600 (my native res) is no longer selectable in the res dropdown. Wtf...

Guess I'll try editing the ini and see if that works

Edit: worked, yay

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
x3sphere said:
So, after installing the 1.3 patch, 2560x1600 (my native res) is no longer selectable in the res dropdown. Wtf...

Guess I'll try editing the ini and see if that works

Edit: worked, yay

I'm really quite a rookie when it comes to editing ini files and what not. I'm running 1920X1080 native res and it's not longer available. Best I can get from the drop down is 1024x768. Can someone tell me what exactly to do here in the ini.

If it matters I'm running the steam version and haven't played in a while so when I launched it I was prompted to update to what I assume was 1.3

Thanks.

Minsc

Gold Member
MountZion said:
I apologize for bringing this up again, but I am also having problems with pop-in / viewing distance. I changed the setting to ultra first (making sure that it is not read only) and then changed the user.ini. I tried setting Meshdistance and foliagedistance as high as 7.5. Currently I have them both changed back to 4.5, and I see no difference whatsoever.

Its not a huuuuge issue of course, but it is pretty noticeable, especially in Chapter 3. Sigh.

It seems the pop up is just one of those unfortunate things about the engine, along with the dithering in the shadows. Haven't come across a working solution so far.

RbBrdMan said:
I'm really quite a rookie when it comes to editing ini files and what not. I'm running 1920X1080 native res and it's not longer available. Best I can get from the drop down is 1024x768. Can someone tell me what exactly to do here in the ini.

If it matters I'm running the steam version and haven't played in a while so when I launched it I was prompted to update to what I assume was 1.3

Thanks.

My Documents\Witcher 2\Config\User.ini is what worked for me.

DietRob

Minsc said:

I can get into the file it's just once I am there I'm unsure what to change to get me back to 1920x1080 being an option.

I've tried changing the 'viewport' at the bottom to 1920x1080. No dice.

Now steam has decided to re-download 9 gigs worth of files. :(

mik83kuu

Banned
x3sphere said:
So, after installing the 1.3 patch, 2560x1600 (my native res) is no longer selectable in the res dropdown.

RbBrdMan said:
I'm running 1920X1080 native res and it's not longer available. Best I can get from the drop down is 1024x768.

I haven't got Witcher 2 installed right now, but I know 1.3 added support for many aspect ratios. In many games there can be two dropdowns, one for aspect ratio and then another for the resolution. In these cases it's possible you first have to select the proper aspect ratio and then the resolutions in the other dropdown menu change to reflect the selected aspect ratio.

I'm just guessing here, though.

Are the ever going to patch the problem of often the default alchemy ingredient being the most rare one in your inventory? At least don't refresh the damn ingredients every time I make something so I have to move everything again!

DietRob

After steam got down redownloading the 9 gigs worth of files I started it up and my native resolution of 1920 was automatically selected.

Good deal. Now to find out if it crashes like other people are reporting.

Gvaz

Banned
RbBrdMan said:

Thanks.
editing an INI file is like opening notepad. there's not really a barrier there. half hte time you don't even have to know what it says. See something thats like:
x=1024
y=768

change it to yours, it (probably, depends on the game) will work out of the box.

Minsc said:
It seems the pop up is just one of those unfortunate things about the engine, along with the dithering in the shadows. Haven't come across a working solution so far.

The dithering maybe, but if he has the same problem as a few other people in this thread, the pop-in is because post-patch, the game won't recognize new configuration changes (for some people), and has set the mesh distance and texture memory way too low. I seriously hope this will be fixed soon.

[edit] Actually, I just now changed some settings again (bloom and resolution), and the game did change. I now think it's not that 1.3 doesn't recognize the settings, it's more like as if it simply has more pop-in for no discernible reason (unless it recognizes some variables and not others). Either way, pop in is ridiculous now where I never noticed anything wrong before the patch, and there's way more stuttering. I'm sure it wasn't like this before, as gameplay was really smooth and I never noticed textures / items 20 feet in front of me popping in out of nowhere before.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Witcher 2 engine is extremely disappointing. It's sad, because the art assets in this game make it one of the best looking games around. It could do wonders with a better designed engine.

mik83kuu

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The Witcher 2 engine is extremely disappointing. It's sad, because the art assets in this game make it one of the best looking games around. It could do wonders with a better designed engine.

I played it through with the retail version (no patches) and it was amazing from start to finish. No problems, no glitches and the FPS was capping at 60 with vsync. Nothing bad to say.

But then again, the definition of a good engine should not be "it runs on my computer just fine", but rather "it should run on everyone's computer just fine" so you do have a point.

This is why we have licensed engines, like Unreal, to begin with. It's hard to develop a successful in-house engine without getting crazy support and interest from hardware manufacturers, like Unreal does.

Exuro

longdi said:
anyone know if 16:10 allows me to see more or did they pull a blizzard and butchered the extra estate?
It's been butchered. Sides are shaved off. (Ignore the untextured world, my game is set fairly low and this is at start up to get perfect comparisons so not everything has loaded)

1680 x 1050
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577803240016461639/115873BD4D34B7F24252763144BF4F32906AC7D4/

1920 x 1080
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577803240016447142/90361EC752CBB8FFCC1023E8D71A4674B21E1517/

zoner said:
1.3 said it added 16:10 resolutions, but I'm still getting black borders on 1680x1050. Any ideas?
Are you in the game and it's doing that? There's black bars during the start up and loading screens for obvious reasons but in game they aren't there.

epmode

longdi said:
anyone know if 16:10 allows me to see more or did they pull a blizzard and butchered the extra estate?
I don't understand why you would say it's butchered.

The way aspect ratios work in most other games, 4:3 gives the least amount of horizontal vision, 16:9 the most, 16:10 slightly less. This makes sense to me.

If you want 16:10 to give the same amount of horizontal space than 16:9, you'll have to play around with the field of vision. I'm not sure if that's possible in this game and I've never bothered to look since this patch seems to handle the issue properly.

longdi

Banned
i called it butchered because it is rendering more pixels but i am not seeing more. should be able to view more vertical space.

Exuro

epmode said:
I don't understand why you would say it's butchered.

The way aspect ratios work in most other games, 4:3 gives the least amount of horizontal vision, 16:9 the most, 16:10 slightly less. This makes sense to me.

If you want 16:10 to give the same amount of horizontal space than 16:9, you'll have to play around with the field of vision. I'm not sure if that's possible in this game and I've never bothered to look since this patch seems to handle the issue properly.
16:10 should give a slightly greater vertical space than 16:9. horizontal space changing doesn't make sense as they're both 16 per x so 16:10 should have a greater vertical space while they both have the same horizontal space.

epmode

Field of vision is almost never calculated by vertical space, why would they start here? It is VERY COMMON for videogames to have a slightly smaller FOV in 16:10 versus 16:9.

Typically, the vertical space in a videogame is identical across 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9. Only horizontal space changes.

If the developers followed your idea, where the vertical space dictated the absolute angle of vision, 4:3 would wind up showing more than the other two ratios. I doubt that's what you were looking for when you picked up a widescreen monitor.

Gvaz

Banned
You already have a widescreen though, so what you're looking for is more vertical real estate, not less.

That's the value of a 16:10 over 16:9

TheExodu5

Banned
mik83kuu said:
I played it through with the retail version (no patches) and it was amazing from start to finish. No problems, no glitches and the FPS was capping at 60 with vsync. Nothing bad to say.

But then again, the definition of a good engine should not be "it runs on my computer just fine", but rather "it should run on everyone's computer just fine" so you do have a point.

This is why we have licensed engines, like Unreal, to begin with. It's hard to develop a successful in-house engine without getting crazy support and interest from hardware manufacturers, like Unreal does.

It runs just fine on my computer as well. That doesn't change the fact that there are some very annoying and unfixable problems like dithering.

MountZion

Neo Member
Minsc said:

Thank you for your confirmation! I figured there was no official solution yet. I just wonder if this is a problem everybody has post-patch or if it is an isolated issue with unlucky people (like me).

I guess we'll have to wait and see for a response / statement from CDProjekt.

Edit: Argh, please excuse my quoting-stupidity.

Exuro said:
16:10 should give a slightly greater vertical space than 16:9. horizontal space changing doesn't make sense as they're both 16 per x so 16:10 should have a greater vertical space while they both have the same horizontal space.
So should 4:3 have the same horizontal space but more vertical space? Generally wider = more vision.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
darkpaladinmfc said:
So should 4:3 have the same horizontal space but more vertical space? Generally wider = more vision.
Technically, it shouldn't. They don't call 16:9 widescreen for nothing :p

My steam version finally worked when I reinstalled from the ground-up. At first the game booted up without patches at all (even after it automatically applied itself, weird). I arrived in Flotsam when I saw some new things were not where they were supposed to be (quests and the item storage).

So I re-applied the 1.3 patch and now it's working as it should be..almost.

Steam achievements seem to not work since the 1.3 patch...I tried drinking a potion to test and no achievement popped :/ And it seems I'm not the only one at all with that issue.

Relax.MX

I started to download it by steam, but I see two files one of 17 GB and a 5 GB called bonus content

I did not know it would be so much, the bonus content contributes something?

Is tooooo much :(

Horns

Could someone confirm that the more save files you have the longer it takes to pull up the "Load Game" list of saves?

I swear that when I first installed and clicked "Load Game" the list would take a few moments to pull up. Now it is taking 30 to 40 seconds. I think it is because I have hundreds of saves. I just want to confirm I am not the only one thinking this.

Andrea23

epmode said:
Field of vision is almost never calculated by vertical space, why would they start here? It is VERY COMMON for videogames to have a slightly smaller FOV in 16:10 versus 16:9.

Typically, the vertical space in a videogame is identical across 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9. Only horizontal space changes.

If the developers followed your idea, where the vertical space dictated the absolute angle of vision, 4:3 would wind up showing more than the other two ratios. I doubt that's what you were looking for when you picked up a widescreen monitor.

Take a look: 16:9 and 16:10.
These ratios seem to suggest the opposite, comparing them to your statement : P.

Edgeward

Ugh, these patches make things run better but come with some weird bugs when using mods. I couldn't work my 360 pad right because the patch had a conflict with the gui mod I was using and now I can't select anything when I bring up the weapon wheel, and I have no clue what mod if any is causing this to happen too.

TheExodu5 said:
It runs just fine on my computer as well. That doesn't change the fact that there are some very annoying and unfixable problems like dithering.

Its pretty spectacular looking game overall though...Of the recently released PC games, Crysis 2 is the only one that competes...and I would say the Witcher 2 beats it in textures and IQ overall

TheExodu5 said:

I agree. I´m playing it on a computer with a Core I7 720Q CPU and an ATI 5830 GPU, and the game struggles to give me a descent framerate even in 1280x720 resolution and everything set to low. I´m did not expect 60FPS in 1080p, but I expected much more than this.

Otheradam

Edgeward said:
Ugh, these patches make things run better but come with some weird bugs when using mods. I couldn't work my 360 pad right because the patch had a conflict with the gui mod I was using and now I can't select anything when I bring up the weapon wheel, and I have no clue what mod if any is causing this to happen too.

It's the mini map north pointer/smaller enemy selection cursor mod. I had the same problem. Just get rid of it and wait for the author to update it to 1.3

garath

CecilRousso said:
I agree. I´m playing it on a computer with a Core I7 720Q CPU and an ATI 5830 GPU, and the game struggles to give me a descent framerate even in 1280x720 resolution and everything set to low. I´m did not expect 60FPS in 1080p, but I expected much more than this.

Drivers maybe?

I read posts like this and I wonder. Prior to upgrading my computer I ran the game on Low settings w/ vsync turned off with decent framerate. I bumped it up to Med just for a little better graphics and it was sluggish but tolerable.

That was with a E6600 core2duo, 4gigs of DDR2, GTX260

I upgraded to a i5 2500K (no OC yet), 8 gigs of DD3, same GTX260

Game auto-detected at High, I just turned off vsync again and started playing. Looks great, plays great. Game is MUCH smoother than even low was before I upgraded.

Top Bottom