• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

1.3 made sli work perfect for me, I now get a rock solid 60fps in 2560x1600, and a playable 30fps with ubersampling on. And holy crap is HUDless flotsam mesmerizing :0

Yeah I think it's time for my Iorveth playthrough.

garath said:
Drivers maybe?

I read posts like this and I wonder. Prior to upgrading my computer I ran the game on Low settings w/ vsync turned off with decent framerate. I bumped it up to Med just for a little better graphics and it was sluggish but tolerable.

That was with a E6600 core2duo, 4gigs of DDR2, GTX260

I upgraded to a i5 2500K (no OC yet), 8 gigs of DD3, same GTX260

Game auto-detected at High, I just turned off vsync again and started playing. Looks great, plays great. Game is MUCH smoother than even low was before I upgraded.

Drivers? I am using 11.6 catalyst drivers for the GPU.

Edgeward

Otheradam said:
It's the mini map north pointer/smaller enemy selection cursor mod. I had the same problem. Just get rid of it and wait for the author to update it to 1.3

Ah ha! Thank you, good sir. The new updated version fixed it for me.

SOLDIER

So I just wanted to confirm again: are there revised ini tweaks that take advantage of the new patch, or do we still stick to the original values?

I got an email from CD Projekt about the issues some of us are having:

Hello ____,

I am sorry you had to wait so long for reply.
We are recieving inconsistent reports about performance in game. Some users experience increase in performance, other report decrease, even though they have the same computer specs as players who don't encounter any problem. This is, unfortunately, PC gaming. We are doing everything we can to make the game work as smooth as possible.

If you want to configure your game using user.ini, make sure you do it on the right file. There are 2 user.ini files - one is in game's folder, other in My Documents folder. You need to edit the one in My Documents. After doing it I advise to launch the game using witcher2.exe file. Doing it from launcher or using game's configurator will override your edited settings.

Best regards,
Andrzej Kwiatkowski

Unfortunately, the exe file does not bypass the launcher (at least for Steam), so I can't test that out. Not sure if there'll be a fix any time soon then. Next month I'll just try deleting and re-downloading the whole game from scratch and see if that helps (too close to my bandwidth limit this month). I'll post results.

In the meantime, I uploaded a Youtube video showing (some) of the problems. It's much harder to see everything after Youtube's compression though, but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdPQEFGXzOE Shows some of the pop-in especially. It's probably more annoying elsewhere though, where things in the background like trees or buildings just pop-in, but it shows the stand I mentioned.

hauton

GOG version doesn't patch via autopatcher and the manual installation I found (ver 0 to 1.3) didn't work.

Going for a fresh reinstall first, then I'm going to throw in the bucket and hope I can find a solution.

Apologize for using this topic for this question, but there isn't an official thread for Radeon Pro.

Anyway, do i intall this program over the CCC? Who will be controlling the graphics card then? Radeon Pro will ignore the settings of the CCC?

Interested in installing it because it can force AA in many games. Hope someone can help.
MrOogieBoogie said:
Do I have to install Patch 1.2 before installing 1.3?
Yes, first install 1.2 initiate game and get out, then 1.3. I suggested initiating the game to be on the save side.
hauton said:
GOG version doesn't patch via autopatcher and the manual installation I found (ver 0 to 1.3) didn't work.

Going for a fresh reinstall first, then I'm going to throw in the bucket and hope I can find a solution.
Did manual patching myself. The GoG version installs the launch day patch automatically, then i used the one that appears in the game download window, next i downloaded 1.2 and ran it. After that go and use 1.3
Gvaz said:
It's a program like D3D Overrider, where when games are launched through it or saved as a profile, radeonpro launches the game with those options and tells the drivers to use those options instead of the ones in the CCC
God bless you for the answer man :)

Does it cause any conflicts when running games?

Gvaz

Banned
It's a program like D3D Overrider, where when games are launched through it or saved as a profile, radeonpro launches the game with those options and tells the drivers to use those options instead of the ones in the CCC

Stitch

Gold Member
my steam version is downloading 1GB. what's going on? oO

edit: no idea what it did but it certainly didn't fix the awful pop-in

Kurashima said:
In the meantime, I uploaded a Youtube video showing (some) of the problems. It's much harder to see everything after Youtube's compression though, but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdPQEFGXzOE Shows some of the pop-in especially. It's probably more annoying elsewhere though, where things in the background like trees or buildings just pop-in, but it shows the stand I mentioned.

It's nice to see others having the same issues I was having when I last played. The pop-in and "things look muddier than before but I cannot say why" are two issues I eventually assumed were part of my imagination but both complaints seem to keep coming up. Hopefully that means that a patch will eventually address them.

Yaska

hauton said:

Try patching to 1.1 first and after that using autopatcher.

CabbageRed said:
It's nice to see others having the same issues I was having when I last played. The pop-in and "things look muddier than before but I cannot say why" are two issues I eventually assumed were part of my imagination but both complaints seem to keep coming up. Hopefully that means that a patch will eventually address them.

To be honest, I'm almost starting to believe I'm imagining it being better before too. It's just that I ran through Flotsam many times when testing out my new GPU before the patch, and I would think I'd have to be blind not to notice the pop-in. Most annoying is the "shadow pop-in", as it happens everywhere and takes you out of the experience, so I just can't fathom only noticing it after the patch, given how in your face it is and that it's not like I was expecting the patch to change the graphics at all, so I wasn't looking for problems that I may have ignored before.

Anyway, I think I've figured out a way to avoid the patching, assuming the initial Steam download is still wholly 1.2. After downloading through Steam but before starting the game, move the "Patcher" folder somewhere else and when starting the game, hit cancel at the "first time initialization" thing where it tries to install DirectX for the 20th time. However, I only did that after re-downloading 8GB via the Steam "verify integrity" thing. I had re-downloaded the full 16GB previously, thinking I could disconnect the internet after a full re-download that I did and it wouldn't patch, but it did. Anyway, at least after the 8GB file integrity download and skipping the patch, the problems remained. I think I'll try re-downloading the full thing one last time and not patching, and if that and the upcoming ATI drivers don't fix it, I'm just going to say fuck it and keep on playing even with the horrible pop-in, and stop posting about this stuff.

I am curious though, if anyone happens to have a save in Flotsam, or better yet, video / screenshots pre-patch, if there are people who don't get such pop-in. That would at least confirm we're not crazy.

Movement

I don't understand I have a 2500k, and a 570 but at Ultra settings I don't really go above 20fps. I configured the User.ini and it didn't help at all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Eltacoman said:
I don't understand I have a 2500k, and a 570 but at Ultra settings I don't really go above 20fps. I configured the User.ini and it didn't help at all.

ubersampling on?

edit: damn

edit2: yes, it's turned off. You should get 40-60 fps with your setup. At least I do.

knitoe

Eltacoman said:
I have UberSampling=0 in the User.ini I'm assuming that turns it off?
What resolution? If you are running 2560 res, that would explain it. Did you enable any settings, like AA, in Nvidia control software? Maybe post, your user.ini settings.

Movement

knitoe said:
What resolution? Did you enable any settings, like AA, in Nvidia control software?

1920x1080. I had forced AA in Nvidia Inspector, but I've turned it off and it didn't change anything at all.

[Engine]
CustomRenderingSettings=1
PerformancePlatform=1

[Input]
KeyboardLayout=QWERTY

[MouseInput]
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=0

[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=1000
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=4
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=4
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
MeshDistanceScale=2.2
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

knitoe

Everything looks fine. Have you tried running some benchmarks, like 3Dmark, and see if you are getting numbers similiar to others with the same setup?

Relax.MX

PC:

Q6600
HD5770
5 Ram
Steam

I need help, i download the game, successfully installed, but never start, and just dont get me any errors, just does not start, try to test the cache and sent me to download 9 gb, and nothing .. same problem ...

Advice? help

AEREC

Finally finished the Witcher 1 last night and immediately booted up the Witcher 2 as Ive been waiting to play it since I bought it during the steam summer sale.

I got to say the game runs like crap on my machine even at medium (crap meaning 20-30 fps), but with the custom user config file in the OP I was able get the game running at an acceptable 30+ fps with decent image quality.

Though after having just come off of playing the first Witcher at a constant 60+ fps, I really want the same experience in Witcher 2...though I may have to settle for low settings =(

Im just not willing to sacrifice AA and vsync ( I hate image tearing more than low framerate), but I guess even low will still look better than the Witcher 1 ever did...

My rig:
i7 @ 2.93 GHz
Windows 7 Enterprise x64
8GB Ram
GTX 460 1GB

Gvaz

Banned
AEREC said:
Finally finished the Witcher 1 last night and immediately booted up the Witcher 2 as Ive been waiting to play it since I bought it during the steam summer sale.

I got to say the game runs like crap on my machine even at medium (crap meaning 20-30 fps), but with the custom user config file in the OP I was able get the game running at an acceptable 30+ fps with decent image quality.

Though after having just come off of playing the first Witcher at a constant 60+ fps, I really want the same experience in Witcher 2...though I may have to settle for low settings =(

Im just not willing to sacrifice AA and vsync ( I hate image tearing more than low framerate), but I guess even low will still look better than the Witcher 1 ever did...

My rig:
i7 @ 2.93 GHz
Windows 7 Enterprise x64
8GB Ram
GTX 460 1GB

Your 460 should be able to do higher than that, so I'm gonna say either it's:

-reinstall drivers
-reinstall the game
-overclock your i7 to like at least 3.5ghz (it can go higher than that, that's just a ballpark)

That's what I would do anyways. I have this rig which is worse than yours:

Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.2
win 7 64 ultimate
8gb ddr2
1GB HD4890 @ 1920x1200

and I get like 30-50fps depending on where I am and it's pretty fluid. Though I have vsync on and AA off. Unless you're running at 2560x1600 or something, you should be getting like at least 10fps more and on High.

garath

AEREC said:

My rig:
i7 @ 2.93 GHz
Windows 7 Enterprise x64
8GB Ram
GTX 460 1GB

It should definitely be higher than that. My CPU is better but my GPU is worse.

I have it on "High" with vsync turned off (for 1 to 1 mouse movement) and my framerate is fine (I haven't run fraps yet, just saying it's playable with no stuttering or slowdown. I'd guess an average 40 fps)

i5 @ stock ~3.5 ghz
8gigs RAM
GTX 260

alphaNoid

Banned
Relax.MX said:
PC:

Q6600
HD5770
5 Ram
Steam

I need help, i download the game, successfully installed, but never start, and just dont get me any errors, just does not start, try to test the cache and sent me to download 9 gb, and nothing .. same problem ...

Advice? help
Not sure but try not using the launcher? Try launching the actual Witcher2.exe in the BIN folder?

AEREC

Gvaz said:
Your 460 should be able to do higher than that, so I'm gonna say either it's:

-reinstall drivers
-reinstall the game
-overclock your i7 to like at least 3.5ghz (it can go higher than that, that's just a ballpark)

That's what I would do anyways. I have this rig which is worse than yours:

Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.2
win 7 64 ultimate
8gb ddr2
1GB HD4890 @ 1920x1200

and I get like 30-50fps depending on where I am and it's pretty fluid. Though I have vsync on and AA off. Unless you're running at 2560x1600 or something, you should be getting like at least 10fps more and on High.

I forgot to mention my resolution was at 1920x1080...after lowering it to 1600x900 I am able to put it back up to High spec, if I had to guess I would say my framerate is around 30 fps with the blur on making it seem a bit smoother.

I used to have the latest drivers (275.33) but about 2 weeks ago my video card crashing and recover from an error which made my screen distorted so I just went back to an older driver to fix that issue...Ill have to see if Nvidia has updated recently.

Relax.MX

Relax.MX said:
PC:

Q6600
HD5770
5 Ram
Steam

Advice? help

Fix it! steam had to open with administrator rights, and perfect, the game is amazing!

The game run in high with my machine :O

rogue74

AEREC said:
I forgot to mention my resolution was at 1920x1080...after lowering it to 1600x900 I am able to put it back up to High spec, if I had to guess I would say my framerate is around 30 fps with the blur on making it seem a bit smoother.

I used to have the latest drivers (275.33) but about 2 weeks ago my video card crashing and recover from an error which made my screen distorted so I just went back to an older driver to fix that issue...Ill have to see if Nvidia has updated recently.

You mentioned you had on Vsync. Are you activating vsynch via the options in the game? If so, I would suggest you set vsync to off in the configuration tool and use D3DOverrider instead to enable vsync + triple buffering. I would imagine it would give you a better framerate.

I get about the same performance as you but I have a slower processor (Athlon X4 635) and run at a mix of High and Ultra settings. Same video card. You should be getting better frame rates.

Also, you should be running the latest 275.33 drivers. If for some reason you can't, you need to uninstall the Nvidia 3D Vision drivers from your system. They were causing performance problems on Nvidia cards before. The latest drivers corrected this. I don't recall if CDProjekt also corrected this on their end with their latest patch. But it is worth a shot.

Gvaz

Banned
What kind of performance should you expect if you have an i5 OC'd to like, 4.5 or something, and a gtx 570 @ 1920x1200?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gvaz said:
What kind of performance should you expect if you have an i5 OC'd to like, 4.5 or something, and a gtx 570 @ 1920x1200?

Average 40 - 60fps (usually the higher end) everything maxed (ubersampling off).

Gvaz

Banned
Sounds good to me. I'm probably going to upgrade my card to that one, and slowly buy the parts like the mobo and cpu as I go along.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Those are basically the exact same specs I'm running on :p. i5 @4.3Ghz, factory OC'd GTX 570, and 1920x1080. Performance is wonderful.

Gvaz

Banned
How much of a factory OC do you have? I see some at 797 and others up to like 835 or so but those are much more than just the stock 773 mhz or whatever it is.

I wonder how oc'able it is in my own personal space...

EatChildren

Off the top of my head I honestly dont remember sorry, but I dont think its much. The GTX 570 is a pretty great card.

EDIT: Just checked, and my GPU clock speed is OC'd to 786mhz.

AEREC

rogue74 said:
You mentioned you had on Vsync. Are you activating vsynch via the options in the game? If so, I would suggest you set vsync to off in the configuration tool and use D3DOverrider instead to enable vsync + triple buffering. I would imagine it would give you a better framerate.

I get about the same performance as you but I have a slower processor (Athlon X4 635) and run at a mix of High and Ultra settings. Same video card. You should be getting better frame rates.

Also, you should be running the latest 275.33 drivers. If for some reason you can't, you need to uninstall the Nvidia 3D Vision drivers from your system. They were causing performance problems on Nvidia cards before. The latest drivers corrected this. I don't recall if CDProjekt also corrected this on their end with their latest patch. But it is worth a shot.

I have vsync globally forced on in the nvidia settings (and I probably have it enabled in the Witchers game settigns as well), also I had issues with the 275.33 drivers (flickering/corrupt images on the desktop along with a message every so often that says my drivers have just recovered from some kind o failure).

Im not familiar D3Doverrider but I may look into it if you think it will help.

Right now I am able to play at 1600x900 with the default High Spec that game automatically detects my system at. If I had to guess I would say the game runs at 3-40 fps and with the motion blur if feels satisfactory to me...but the graphics whore in me always wants more =p

I'm pretty new to the PC gaming thing, but I really wish that it was standard for titles to give you the opportunity to lock the frame rate in various increments. The Witcher 2, for instance, sits at 45 fps on average for me. However, sometimes it'll drop from, say, 50 to 35 which is incredibly jarring. It 'feels' much worse and is more noticeable than a console game going from 30 to 25.

Clearly it's fantastic when it's all is smooth at a higher rate, but it would be nice to have the option to lock it. However, for me, running a game at an almost rock-solid 30fps would always take priority over a considerably higher but much less consistent nick. It's a trade off, yes, but available as an option, I'd take it without a second thought.

Of course, there are some visual options I won't disable. ;) This game can go from looking wonderful to utterly bland bereft a few settings.

AEREC

TheDrowningMan said:
I'm pretty new to the PC gaming thing, but I really wish that it was standard for titles to give you the opportunity to lock the frame rate in various increments. The Witcher 2, for instance, sits at 45 fps on average for me. However, sometimes it'll drop from, say, 50 to 35 which is incredibly jarring. It 'feels' much worse and is more noticeable than a console game going from 30 to 25.

Clearly it's fantastic when it's all is smooth at a higher rate, but it would be nice to have the option to lock it. However, for me, running a game at an almost rock-solid 30fps would always take priority over a considerably higher but much less consistent nick. It's a trade off, yes, but available as an option, I'd take it without a second thought.

Of course, there are some visual options I won't disable. ;) This game can go from looking wonderful to utterly bland bereft a few settings.

Ya...I agree having the option to lock a game at 30fps would be nice.

j-wood

I just purcahsed the game via retail and have a few questions.

How exactly do you acres storage? I am in flotsam and when I talk to the innkeeper I click I'd like to access storage but that only appears to take me to his shop.

Also is there a way to see your current fps easily?

Lastly this game auto updates via the launcher correct? No need for me to manually download the latest patch

ss_lemonade

Gvaz said:
Just disable motion blur and scattered DOF and you'll be having a really nice framerate. I'm one of those who like to max everything out but those 2 settings barely made much difference to the overall visual quality to make up for the frames they eat up

AEREC

j-wood said:
I just purcahsed the game via retail and have a few questions.

How exactly do you acres storage? I am in flotsam and when I talk to the innkeeper I click I'd like to access storage but that only appears to take me to his shop.

Also is there a way to see your current fps easily?

Lastly this game auto updates via the launcher correct? No need for me to manually download the latest patch

I just ran into this today too...after exiting the shop I think one of the cabinets next to the guy will allow you to use storage.

j-wood said:

I think it automatically downloads the latest patch at the time of installation. After that, you Have to get them from the website.

mileS

georaldc said:
Just disable motion blur and scattered DOF and you'll be having a really nice framerate. I'm one of those who like to max everything out but those 2 settings barely made much difference to the overall visual quality to make up for the frames they eat up
SSAO takes more of a hit than those two options.. but with that kind of specs you don't have to worry about much.

Also I thought the launcher options weren't supposed to change the user file anymore? grrrr

teiresias

I'm trying to decide whether I prefer to use the game's built in AA solution or to use this new-fangled injected FXAA solution. I'm leaning towards the FXAA even though it does affect the in-game HUD just a bit. There's something weird about the MLAA (if that's what it is) that they implemented in the game that doesn't seem to solve alot of problems that the FXAA does.

Unfortunately, most of my FPS displays that use overlays don't work with the FXAA running (whether it's on or off) so I can't really get a good idea for how it's affecting the framerate, but it doesn't feel any better or worse than playing with the in-game AA.

In any case, playing PC games on my plasma sort of creates built-in AA anyway just given the nature of the tech I suppose, so it's all not too big a deal in the end.

The game is beautiful, but having trouble getting into it as quickly as I did the last game - I think I just don't like this first main area you go to in Chapter 1.

j-wood

I think my rig is handeling the game fairly well. I have a 2600k and a GTX 460, running at the game at 1680x1050 on the default high spec.

Everything is running smoothly so far, just started chapter 1.

ss_lemonade

mileS said:
SSAO takes more of a hit than those two options.. but with that kind of specs you don't have to worry about much.

Also I thought the launcher options weren't supposed to change the user file anymore? grrrr
That advanced DOF option tanked my framerate a lot when I was using a gtx 275. Now that I have a 6970, I can enable every setting except uber but I still choose to disable scatter DOF because its only really noticeable to me in cutscenes. As for motion blur, its only noticeable and helpful when you have low framerates and it just hurts overall framerates when moving the camera around.

Top Bottom