• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Gvaz

Banned
My steam downloaded the 1.3 patch, it ran fine (I didn't have any mods).

I sat on my couch and hooked up my 360 controller and it natively worked in the menus (the start menu for example which now has a LIST! OMG!) and wondered why it didn't work in game. Stupid me, I left it on keyboard. Worked wonderfully after that.

GOG version here. I'm seeing absolutely no problems. 360 pad support works both in game and in the menus and the performance is identical to what I was seeing on my i5 2500k @4.2ghz and GTX580 in my previous play through. The only issue was the game reset my video options post-patch. Once I set everything back, no problems. Steady 52-55 average framerate with peaks at 60 and some drops to 45 in the major areas like Vergen and Flotsam.

I also set the control options in the menu to "Gamepad" instead of keyboard by the way.

To add more detail, the "user.ini" file in the Documents folder was unchanged after the patch. The "user.ini" in the Witcher 2 folder (/bin/config/user.ini) after the patch defaulted to ridiculous settings (400MB texture memory budget, 0.5 meshdistancescale, 0 shadow quality, and of course bloom on).

Changing the launcher graphics setting doesn't change either user.ini, and changing the user.ini manually back to normal settings doesn't affect the game, so it's as if it's simply ignoring any configuration changes. The game does play exactly as I would expect given very low values for texture memory and mesh distance, so that's what seems to be the problem.

It does seem like there's nothing to be done until Valve / CD Projekt can fix this.

Jaxter09

Did anyone else have the bug where you would randomly die after an in-battle cutscene? This happened to me several times, especially in the
Chapter 2 "war."

This patch offers some GREAT gameplay enchancements, and it does somewhat address the SLI/Crossfire issues.

However, I can still report that there is SOME light bleeding with Crossfire. It's not nearly as bad as it was before and it is only in certain areas (in caves with torches in particular). But at least those segements are playable now rather than them having a blinding white light that literally covers up half the damn screen with Crossfire on.

Was there ever a Crossfire hotfix to address the lightening issue? Maybe I"m missing something.

Card Boy

Banned
Might be a placebo effect happening, but i think i jumped in FPS on my i7-870 and 5870. It's like 60FPS in Flotsam maxed out at 1920x1080 with Uber/SSOA/Bloom/Vsync off. I got AA on (game looks ugly without it)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Storage isn't working for me? I went to innkeeper in Flotsam, I click on the dialog option for storage ("I want to access my storage") and then I get the shopping interface and I buy and sell items instead of storing them. Is it working for everyone?

wutwutwut

Oh man, I just realized: don't use the verify integrity thing... I'm pretty sure the data files on the Steam servers are still 1.2 and that the patch to 1.3 is only applied client-side. Steam declares a file to have failed verification if it doesn't match the version on the server, so you are going to get 9GB downloads if you force verification.

The only proper way the whole mess will be fixed will be when the game uses the new delta-patching system Steam provides. Until then, these sorts of problems are going to persist. :(

ASilva

Neo Member
loganclaws said:
Storage isn't working for me? I went to innkeeper in Flotsam, I click on the dialog option for storage ("I want to access my storage") and then I get the shopping interface and I buy and sell items instead of storing them. Is it working for everyone?

Same here, not working, not in Flotsam at least

Red

Gvaz said:
My steam downloaded the 1.3 patch, it ran fine (I didn't have any mods).

I sat on my couch and hooked up my 360 controller and it natively worked in the menus (the start menu for example which now has a LIST! OMG!) and wondered why it didn't work in game. Stupid me, I left it on keyboard. Worked wonderfully after that.
I have it set to gamepad enabled. My 360 pad does not work in the main menu (mouse cursor is visible and must be used to select options). Gamepad does not work in radial selection menu (have to use my mouse, again). And the pad doesn't work in dialogue or the pause menu. And the mouse cursor doesn't even show up in the pause menu, so I can't exit the game with killing it through task manager.

I'm on the Steam version.

slaartibartfast said:
@Crunched - try using the dpad for menu and radial selects - I use a wireless 360 pad and the analogue sticks don't work in menus for some reason.
You guys sound like you are on patch 1.2 still.

1.3 fixes the no analog sticks in menus thing for me.

Red

EternalGamer said:
You guys sound like you are on patch 1.2 still.

1.3 fixes the no analog sticks in menus thing for me.
1.2 allowed me to use the sticks. 1.3 stops both sticks and d pad.

Minsc

Gold Member
3chopl0x said:
WTF, can't even choose my resolution anymore (2560x1440)

the highest in the options is 1920x1200 now :/

My highest option was 1024x768. But editing the resolution I wanted in to the user.ini worked fine for me. CDP's patches are very ambitious, you have to give them that, but they seem a bit sloppy.

Crunched said:
1.2 allowed me to use the sticks. 1.3 stops both sticks and d pad.

I haven't had time to check myself either way, but can you confirm if you are using any mods? Other people have reported controller issues (not working properly), and said once they removed all their mods, the controller worked fine. Also, did you double check it didn't revert to keyboard in the in-game options menu?

epmode

Steam 1.3 works fine with my 360 pad. I think I had user.ini set to read only and the only mod I was using is the zero-weight thing.

Red

Minsc said:
My highest option was 1024x768. But editing the resolution I wanted in to the user.ini worked fine for me. CDP's patches are very ambitious, you have to give them that, but they seem a bit sloppy.

I haven't had time to check myself either way, but can you confirm if you are using any mods? Other people have reported controller issues (not working properly), and said once they removed all their mods, the controller worked fine. Also, did you double check it didn't revert to keyboard in the in-game options menu?
I'm using a few mods. Weightless schematics and plants, increased weight capacity, improved inventory, and improved UI. I'll try disabling them when I get home to see if that fixes the problem. They worked just fine in 1.2 though, I wonder what's been changed.

My frame rate also seems to be suffering after the latest patch. Down to around 30fps on a 5870 from 45fps previously. And though it might be my imagination, it seemed to look worse. Haven't done any extensive comparisons, but it seemed to me that pop in was more prevalent and textures were taking much longer to load. Also noticed more jaggies, as if AA had been disabled or reduced.

I haven't checked my user.ini since the patch, but it was set to read only.

I did double check my control options. It did not revert to keyboard.

Minsc

Gold Member
Crunched said:
My frame rate also seems to be suffering after the latest patch. Down to around 30fps on a 5870 from 45fps previously. And though it might be my imagination, it seemed to look worse. Haven't done any extensive comparisons, but it seemed to me that pop in was more prevalent and textures were taking much longer to load.

To some extent, I think people are looking for things a little closer, this happened with the 1.2 patch, it was thought the pop-up got a lot worse, when actually the same as it was in 1.1 more or less. There very well could be some legitimate things that got messed up though with 1.3, but if there are hopefully it's fixed soon.

I also think it's possible setting your user.ini to read only might cause it to mess up if terminology got changed between patches. Probably a better bet to move/rename all the read only inis and let the game generate new ones entirely, just to be safe.

I thought I had a very similar framerate problem w/ 1.2, when in fact it seems to have had nothing to do with 1.2. Right after patching, my game took the same hit, and couldn't figure out what caused it. Uninstalled 1.2 (the entire game) and reverted to 1.1 and it was still ~30 instead of 45+. Finally I restarted my PC, and everything worked properly again, simple as that. Hopefully it ends up being as easy for you!

Red

Minsc said:
To some extent, I think people are looking for things a little closer, this happened with the 1.2 patch, it was thought the pop-up got a lot worse, when actually the same as it was in 1.1 more or less. There very well could be some legitimate things that got messed up though with 1.3, but if there are hopefully it's fixed soon.

I also think it's possible setting your user.ini to read only might cause it to mess up if terminology got changed between patches. Probably a better bet to move/rename all the read only inis and let the game generate new ones entirely, just to be safe.

I thought I had a very similar framerate problem w/ 1.2, when in fact it seems to have had nothing to do with 1.2. Right after patching, my game took the same hit, and couldn't figure out what caused it. Uninstalled 1.2 (the entire game) and reverted to 1.1 and it was still ~30 instead of 45+. Finally I restarted my PC, and everything worked properly again, simple as that. Hopefully it ends up being as easy for you!
Thanks! Fingers crossed.

Stitch

Gold Member
I'm redownloading the whole game right now. i Hope that will fix the ugly graphics... gonna find out in about 3 hours... -_-

grendelrt

Looking for some beginning of game advice. I just got to chapter one and was reading on runes and such. I have Aerondight and G'valchir (Mahakaman rune sihil) imported from the first game. I have the preorder armor and raven armor. Should I bother upgrading any of these? I read that runes and armor upgrades can be limited and you should save them? Also right now I only have the witcher tree, should i save up my points for when the other trees open, or go ahead and spend them? What are some good opening abilities to concentrate on?

grendelrt said:
Looking for some beginning of game advice. I just got to chapter one and was reading on runes and such. I have Aerondight and G'valchir (Mahakaman rune sihil) imported from the first game. I have the preorder armor and raven armor. Should I bother upgrading any of these? I read that runes and armor upgrades can be limited and you should save them? Also right now I only have the witcher tree, should i save up my points for when the other trees open, or go ahead and spend them? What are some good opening abilities to concentrate on?

I just started the game myself, but it said in the manual that you have to spend a certain number of points in the witcher training tree before the others unlock (6 I think).

n0n44m

can't even run it after Steam did the 1.3 109 mb update D:

it ran the official installer which patched it to 1.3, after that it didn't start when clicking play

going in the directory and manually running the .exe's give some errors that claim the game isn't installed

verified integrity, redownloaded 9gb -> same thing happens

then I moved it back to my ssd (had it on another drive with SteamMover), still didn't work

so now I've verified it once more and it's downloading the 9gb again ......

grendelrt

Treemonkeys said:
I just started the game myself, but it said in the manual that you have to spend a certain number of points in the witcher training tree before the others unlock (6 I think).

Lol thanks, i never read the manual :O

Gvaz

Banned
I don't know if it made a difference but I was using the beta steam client and it was updated with the latest content delivery patch before the 1.3 patch came out. I don't see muddy graphics either.

Stitch

Gold Member
Stitch said:
I'm redownloading the whole game right now. i Hope that will fix the ugly graphics... gonna find out in about 3 hours... -_-
that didn't fix anything FUUUUUUUuuuuuu--

n0n44m

n0n44m said:
can't even run it after Steam did the 1.3 109 mb update D:

it ran the official installer which patched it to 1.3, after that it didn't start when clicking play

going in the directory and manually running the .exe's give some errors that claim the game isn't installed

verified integrity, redownloaded 9gb -> same thing happens

then I moved it back to my ssd (had it on another drive with SteamMover), still didn't work

so now I've verified it once more and it's downloading the 9gb again ......

so after that didn't do anything, I uninstalled and downloaded the whole 16 gb again

guess what

that didn't fix anything FUUUUUUUuuuuuu--

n0n44m

OK got it fixed after some reading on the Steam forum

someone mentioned running as administrator (which I had already done before with the separate .exe files without succes)

however this time I ran Steam itself as administrator, now I got the launcher working

after quiting and running Steam normally again it now works and launches the game, so it magically fixed itself somehow by running Steam as admin I guess ?

weird

---------
edit:

and yes now I've got the horrible pop-in as well ... framerate seems even better at 1080p Ultra (except UberSampling) , but the pop-in is already pissing me off after 30 seconds

fuck it , I'll wait for the hotfix

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
n0n44m said:
and yes now I've got the horrible pop-in as well ... framerate seems even better at 1080p Ultra (except UberSampling) , but the pop-in is already pissing me off after 30 seconds

fuck it , I'll wait for the hotfix
Assuming you're doing it right by choosing the Ultra preset then adjusting the other options (because the presets change things you can't change manually, including some LOD related settings, so a Low preset with manual changes into maxed settings will look worse than an Ultra preset with the same manual tweaks) I don't think there's gonna be a fix. I noticed it after the first (or second, I forget) patch myself and it's so glaring that I really don't believe it's just me noticing things that were there all along yet I didn't pay attention to (dazzled by the rest of the beauty or whatever) but most people seem to think it's the same as ever regardless and I've heard nothing about it from the developers.

SOLDIER

I had an issue where my d-pad/analog sticks wouldn't work in the menu. Turns out what I had to do was remove the panel tweak mod I downloaded earlier, as it apparently conflicted with it.

The game runs smoother/faster for me, but I'm not sure if it's due to a downgrade or not, as some people have reported. I can't really tell since it's been a while, but has it been confirmed if the patch overrode any ini tweaks?

Also wondering if there's a tweak to reduce the pop-in. I notice some with the trees and buildings, didn't really notice if they were there before.

And lastly, I was hoping to map the HUD toggle with the 360's back button, but it doesn't seem possible; for some reason the game doesn't recognize that button at all. Any way to fix that?

And lastly lastly, is there a guide that separates all quests by chapter? I want to make sure I do all the Chapter 1 quests before moving forward.

ASilva said:
Also, i seem to be unable to unlock steam achievements either
Same here.

I don't experience performance / pad issues but my steam achievements don't unlock either.
I had put the game on hold for a long while and just finished the prologue and nothing unlocked. The Steam overlay was accessible the whole time.

edit: just tried the auto detect option, I'm pretty sure it's broken considering it set me on low spec and I'm running on a 2500K + GTX 560

Got a visual issue, if anyone can help or offer advice.
These are taken through Steam, so more compressed and poor looking than it actually looks in game. The game looks great, but this is distracting.
In cutscenes I seem to get this really distracting patchwork issue in some places, as if it's an old true-colour setup.

vujms.jpg

N9le5.png

Running -
Intel Q8300 @ 2.5GHz
3 GB RAM (Have 4, but running 32-bit Win7)
ATI 5770 - 1GB

Gvaz

Banned
That's called "The Shadows"

Nothing anyone can do about it except maybe put on Ubersampling, which most PCs can't even do (yet).

SOLDIER

Helmholtz said:
Are boobphysics's custom settings still the ones to use? Anyone have any good settings for an hd6870?

Wondering this too. Does the patch allow for further tweaking, or has nothing really been changed?

I just want to know if there's a way to reduce pop-in/increase draw distance.

Well, got the game during the summer sale but didn't install it until yesterday, and for now I can't play at all, nothing happens when I try to launch the game, and verifying integrity only leads to a 9GB download.

I guess the fact that it used the patcher from CDProjekt instead of the usual update method, files do not match and everything is falling apart? In any case, it's really infuriating.

Guess I can only wait for some kind of fix for the Steam version...

Geoff9920

Ugh... performance on my 5970 has changed from 60-80fps at highest settings to 35-44. Looks like crossfire got borked with the update (for my card at least). :-\ Maybe AMD will put a new profile up.

Vinlaen

I've just installed The Witcher 2 from Steam and after I start the game, it applies a patch, and then the game won't start.

I've tried re-verifying the Steam files and I keep getting the same problem. The game just won't start.

Has anybody else had this problem? :(

n0n44m

Vinlaen said:
I've just installed The Witcher 2 from Steam and after I start the game, it applies a patch, and then the game won't start.

I've tried re-verifying the Steam files and I keep getting the same problem. The game just won't start.

Has anybody else had this problem? :(

quit Steam, the run Steam as administrator (rightclick on icon->Run as administrator)

Top Bottom