• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've been playing this for a few hours now.
I love it so far. Done some side quests, explored and found treasure, fought some beasties and about to do the Griffin.

PS4 disc and so far the performance has been solid. Only very minor frame drops here and there and so far the frame pacing problems haven't been intrusive or particularly.

The graphics are very good although the wind effect can be a little overdone at times, the sound design (music especially) is excellent. The questing is well thought out and designed so far.
The combat (Death Marches) is challenging -when facing large groups- with out being too tough. Sometimes the lock on is a bit cumbersome and Geralt doesn't always turn to face the enemy quickly enough but I think at least part of the apparent difficulty is coming straight from Bloodborne into this and needing to adapt. Generally though I find the combat fairly satisfying and when it really flows well it can be thrilling.

Tips for those just starting:
I think Death Marches is gonna be the right difficulty setting for most people based on what I've played so far. Remember to use your signs and consumables in combat (use Yrden on wraiths to make them easy to hit) and look for environmental help too. Use Igni on powder kegs and gas in the swamps, for example. Try to thin out groups rather than get surrounded as the lock on can be difficult when surrounded by mobile groups.

brau

I think one problem with the markers is the missing background information, once you get them from the notice board.
Every marker has his own little story, but after you get the notice you can't read it again. I'm missing a way to assign interest points to notices and read them again.

Hmm. i have been reading the notice boards. I think maybe i just need ot play it some more.

Have you gotten to the main map yet? White Orchard is a bit sparse but so far in Velen I'm finding it's so massive and I'm stumbling onto a lot more quests and the like.

Yes. it opened up already. I have no idea the name where i am at. But there are a lot of farm lands and rivers. and there is a bear level 12 that beat the crap out of me. I did all spots in white orchard tho since i went back. I just feel like there is very little exploration like in Skyrim. Maybe the game needs a fog of war? that you can't set markers until you have explored the area?

I seem to be doing that too, but I think you can turn off the markers somewhere.

I would love to turn off the markers too... I should try that. Just disable all hud. Will never know where i am going hahaha.

danowat

Banned
I am also a bit disappointed in the segmented world, not sure why I thought it was fully open world, so is it possible to travel from segment to segment as you wish?

Chariot

Yes. it opened up already. I have no idea the name where i am at. But there are a lot of farm lands and rivers. and there is a bear level 12 that beat the crap out of me. I did all spots in white orchard tho since i went back. I just feel like there is very little exploration like in Skyrim. Maybe the game needs a fog of war? that you can't set markers until you have explored the area?
You can deactivate undiscovered POIs in the menu.
I am also a bit disappointed in the segmented world, not sure why I thought it was fully open world, so is it possible to travel from segment to segment as you wish?
Yes. You can travel from one visited waypoint to any other

brau

Yeah, it's magical. I have uploaded a video yesterday during the storm https://www.facebook.com/ahmad.daja...0152942635047582/?type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Shows unavailable.

I was under the same impression. I thought it was gonna be like GTAV... where its all seamless and open. =\ Not a complaint.. just didn't know it was gonna be fragmented into areas.

It is not really that segmented as it looks. The biggest region is No Man's Land and Novigrad and that is one open world. Then you can travel by boat to Skellige (which is fast travel otherwise it would take too long).

Nyx

When I am home again and nobody else did it, I am going to look at my exp, kill a wolf or two and then look again. Won't be that difficult :D

Will do the same, but still 4 hours to go before I'm home...

It's been awhile since a game grabbed me so much that all I'm thinking of at work, is this game! :D

Actually I have a stupid noob question:
On the HUD bottom left corner you can see the items equipped in your consumable slots. When you press L1 they appear if not in combat.
The top two are your consumables and are used by pressing up and down on the d-pad.
What's the bottom one for underneath those two??
It doesn't have a symbol next to it to show you how to trigger it, I don't have an item showing in the slot and I can't remember it being mentioned by the game so is it just something I haven't unlocked yet?

OmegaDL50

For those tight on money early in the game and are still in White Orchard.

I've found a spot that is a potentially a decent money maker.

The sign post called "Abandoned Village" due north slightly northeast there will be a ? on your map.

The entire area is a former battle ground, there are corpses everywhere, There is also a Monster Nest surrounded by Ghouls, a pack of Wild Dogs, and a Place of Power.

The Dogs will give you a decent supply of meat for healing purposes. The Ghouls have alchemy reagents you can sell or use them to make potions.

As for the corpses littered across the battlefield. I must have taken like 10 to 15 various Rusty Swords, Blunt Axes, and some of them even non-rusted weapons.

You can decide to sell all of these old swords for a tidy profit, or dismantle them for the crafting materials.

Just finished the Keira quest line. So good.
Sent her to Kaer Morhen and took the notes off her. She didn't really put up a fight. I told her not to go to Radovid because that would have ended badly 11 times out of 10
I can't hold all these sorceress waifus

Seriously can't believe how unbelievably stuff is crammed onto the second map. Even the normal throwaway type of quests are fully voices and have interesting little stories and the proper side quests are comparable to games main quests. Those dollars go far in Poland.

OmegaDL50

It is not really that segmented as it looks. The biggest region is No Man's Land and Novigrad and that is one open world. Then you can travel by boat to Skellige (which is fast travel otherwise it would take too long).

I mean even Skyrim had some segmented areas. I mean outside of the World exterior, going into a cave or dungeon loaded a new cell. Also some towns such as Markarth and Whiterun aren't built into the world exterior and when entered where loaded into their own separate cells.

I mean considering the size of each region, having segmented areas is a small price to pay rather then streaming the entire world with slight loads from area to area like in the Elderscrolls titles.

I heard a lot of people saying the game reminded them of RDR in one way or another. Since I won't be playing TW3 until end of next week - can you provide me your impressions regarding the comparison of the two games and why people might have been reminded of RDR? RDR was one of my favorite games last gen.

Didn't get too far in last night, just played for a couple hours. I started on the hardest difficulty but quickly realized that was a mistake and knocked it down a notch. Noobish question: what's the best way to handle healing early on? I'm assuming there is a better way to do things than buying and eating food constantly?

I heard a lot of people saying the game reminded them of RDR in one way or another. Since I won't be playing TW3 until end of next week - can you provide me your impressions regarding the comparison of the two games and why people might have been reminded of RDR? RDR was one of my favorite games last gen.

There's a horse... And erm it's open world.

codhand

For make no mistake, The Witcher 3 is most definitely fantastic. It looks gorgeous – even with the controversy surrounding its downgraded graphics and/or upgraded trailer visuals - Jim Sterling

couldnt agree more.

Grady

Yes, you get exp from killing monsters after
you kill the griffin. You get a trophy that activates exp from killing monsters as long as its equipped.

Sanctuary

Anyone else having issues with saves randomly apponting save times that are actually much earlier than your current? Unless I keep deleting every single save, hitting "continue" seems like a crap shot. Sometimes it will load my most recent save, but then other times it will load a save an hour or two previously, because it marks my most recent save as happening hours earlier than that!

Mendrox

you kill the griffin. You get a trophy that activates exp from killing monsters as long as its equipped.

What... Otherwise you don't get XP by killing them? Isn't even only 5% with that trophy? lol

brau

Also.. i don't really get the character system. I have been putting my points into my fast and strong attack for now, and my mutagen is a green on. That gives me more health. I am sure i'll get better now that i am out of the prologue.

Still... anyone has some tips or insight?

I'm only a few hours in, but I really appreciate that there's not this sense of urgency to push the main quest forward to save the world, like in many/most RPGs I've played. Geralt has been on this quest for a long time, and he has time to sleep and just be a Witcher.

Juxtaposed with Mass Effect 3's REAPERS ARE EATING EARTH, and you're doing side quests of picking up peoples laundry.

I'm getting a lot of hitching on Xbox One. I've seen several videos and Twitch streams where the Xbone version seems to run much more smoothly than it does for me. I've got patch 1.01. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I believe it should be running better.

Other than Gerald is traveling on a horse like in Red Dead, the atmosphere and sense of place are so strong like in Red Dead. Also random things happens in the Witcher 3 world similar to Red Read, you can intervene or you can ignore what's happening in that moment and continue your journey.

Didn't get too far in last night, just played for a couple hours. I started on the hardest difficulty but quickly realized that was a mistake and knocked it down a notch. Noobish question: what's the best way to handle healing early on? I'm assuming there is a better way to do things than buying and eating food constantly?

I think the comparison is like in RDR you're a cowboy in cowboy land doing cowboy things. The same is true in this game where you're a monster hunter in a world full of monsters, hunting monsters and occasionally getting caught up in the machinations of people more important than yourself. Both games have this sense of the protagonist's existence in their worlds

and you've got a horse

Anyone else having issues with saves randomly apponting save times that are actually much earlier than your current? Unless I keep deleting every single save, hitting "continue" seems like a crap shot. Sometimes it will load my most recent save, but then other times it will load a save an hour or two previously, because it marks my most recent save as happening hours earlier than that!

This was a huge problem in TW2, too.

Spam F5 (quicksave). :)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hmm, are the load times THAT bad? Game loads in about 5 seconds for me...

Thank you based SSD

Didn't see the review but the loading times are pretty terrible and if you reload a save you have to watch an unskippable cutscene and THEN the loading starts. It's really annoying.

OmegaDL50

Guys. I confirmed you get experience from monsters.

BEFORE getting the Griffin Trophy.

I did this test myself yesterday and made a video and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1CBaNNUTY

While it's not a lot of exp gained, It's definitely shows an increase.

I suppose because this thread moves so fast people are still uncertain about this.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Thank you based SSD

I was actually impressed with how fast mine loaded, especially when fast travelling. It might not even be 5 seconds sometimes. SSD here as well of course.

aravuus

What, really? I was wondering what the trophy did, since it said something like 5% more exp from killing monsters, but you weren't supposed to get exp at all from that.

Sure it's not like, 5% more exp from first time killing a new monster = adding it into the bestiary or something like that?

Guys. I confirmed you get experience from monsters.

BEFORE getting the Griffin Trophy.

I did this test myself yesterday and made a video and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1CBaNNUTY

While it's not a lot of exp gained, It's definitely shows an increase.

I suppose because this thread moves so fast people are still uncertain about this.

Well fuck, better equip it then

Anyone know if monsters respawn at all?

Other than Gerald is traveling on a horse like in Red Dead, the atmosphere and sense of place are so strong like in Red Dead. Also random things happens in the Witcher 3 world similar to Red Read, you can intervene or you can ignore what's happening in that moment and continue your journey.

Thanks, that sounds promising to me. Hopefully I can make the transition from Bloodborne's combat to TW3 without major difficulties of adaption...

v0mitg0d

What stuff are you guys selling? I'm like a mule and constantly sitting at 50/60lbs after selling the extra weapons I've picked up.

It looks like the stuff in the Other category can be sold or used for crafting but I don't want to screw up and sell something that might be good for crafter later on.

What strategies are you guys using to sell stuff!

taybul

Thank you based SSD

Bit of a tangent here but can someone explain this phenomenon sweeping gaf? Can someone explain this whole "based <thing/person>" thing? I think I've only ever seen it here.

Beefy

If any one wants any help with the Main Quest: Imperial Audience. There are 3 questions that effect the story loads. In the spoiler are what happens.

If you say you killed LaVette a person in a later main quest will actdifferently with you. If you allowed Sile De Tenisville die she does not appear in the game. If you say Letho is still alive a seconday quest will be unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom