• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgs2008

Do you get less exp on the blood and broken bones difficulty as well? Im liking the challenge but dont want to be underleveled the whole game

Acinixys

I was earlier asking if there was a way to pause cutscenes on the pc version. i found a workaround!

If you are playing with a wireless xbox pad and press the xbox button it throws you on the desktop and shows you the battery status of the pad. Doing this will also pause the game.

So alt-tabbing might work as well, but somehow 90% of my games refuse to let me tab to desktop.

alt tabbing does pause cut scenes on PC

patapuf

GAF, II've gotten used to the combat and I'm really enjoying this game. The sidequests are so goddamned good.

I really, really hope that at least the design of the monster hunting quests becomes more common in RPG's. It's so much more rewarding to kill them when you had to study them beforehand.

codhand

No crashes during my time playing release night.

Yesterday, I switched to Nvidia "Optimized Settings" and crashed three times (froze) -- once during the bath cutscene, once just sitting at the inventory screen, and once looting from the bloody battlefield side mission.

Turned off "Optimized Settings" for the last hour or so last night, and got no more crashes.

Obviously I can't say for certain Nvidia's settings fucked me up, either way it sucked after having four hours with no problems on release night, to then having three closely grouped crashes.

Both settings were similar, mine had medium hairworks but no HBAO+ as one difference.

Loving the game, but crashes make me nervous.

Chariot

Finished the main part of the Bloody Baron quest.

Geralt has the shittiest fucking job.
Not finished yet, but I am surprised by my turn of feelings in this quests. Bloody good writing.

so.. is there any specific potion that works well against the boss of the first area, or I just need some generic ones?
What is "the boss of the first area" supposed to mean. Bronn is the boss, but I am sure you refer to
the griffin encounter.
Read the bestiary entry.

Salaadin

You have
to get her in Yrden (that purple circle type thing) then you can bash her in that, it tell you in Beastiary what she's weak too.
Once i'd sussed that out it's a fairly straight forward fight.

you mean for the devil at the well?
you fight her once to a certain amount of health, then she will disappear. You then have a quest to sort her out for good.

When she disappears and spawns those illusions of her kill them ASAP! They leech HP from you and gives it to Noonwraith. Then just use that slow time sign and you will be fine.

Are you using the
Yrden sign
, which it is weak against? Info from the bestiary.
Damn. I read that beastiary but must've missed that blurb. Thanks

Daffy Duck

The dodge is new, you can no longer turn on a dime while rolling, the resource system and the signs have been overhauled. Enemies are far more aggressive, they defend better, they evade better. The combat between this and the previous game feel pretty dramatically different.

Yeah, I finished playing 2 the the other night, and the combat between this and 2 is worlds apart IMHO.

Zaki2407

Okay, just bought this game based on the hype (PS4). It,s the first witcher game I bought. Never play the previous games. Hopefully I will enjoy it :)

Do I have to kill the
noonwraith
? I'm trying to get near the damn well to find the bracelet but everytime it's uh oh, got too close!

I'd really like to just release her shackles to this mortal realm peacefully.

The hint is in the name of the monster. It is classified as a noonwraith. If you come back at night, you can explore the area and the monster will not appear.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Can't seem to do anything on the Fake Papers quest.
I killed the gouls and now the brother-in-law has disappeared.

KorrZ

Ah Jesus I Fucked up. Stayed playing last night till like 3 am had to wake up at 6

"One more mission"turned into "let me just meet triss".
I work 9 hour days.

It's so extremely addictive. I played from the time I got home from work yesterday until the time I went to bed. I only stopped for 20 minutes to eat dinner when I started hearing my stomach growling through my headphones.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mmmmmhm. Gonna order this badboy on Sunday night! Found a place that sells it for 40 EUR (which is a small sum of 360 SEK). Quite a nice rebate. Retail disc from legit site (Spelbutiken, for any interested Swedes)

That + 4x2gB ram sticks because 4gB ain't cutting it and next week will be awesome. I'll have to finish up Witcher 2 quickly this week though :lol

It's so extremely addictive. I played from the time I got home from work yesterday until the time I went to bed. I only stopped for 20 minutes to eat dinner when I started hearing my stomach growling through my headphones.

Yep. Didn't even want to read the guide as it would cut into precious witcher 3 time lawl

I want to emphasize I haven't done this with a game since witcher 2.

brau

I am loving this game. But i don't like the segmented world. Also... the points of interest are few and kinda spread evenly. I wish i could just stumble on more things as i explore. Right now i just kinda set my marker to the next question mark and head over there. =\ kinda takes away from the exploration.

Adda

Has anyone got a trophy/achievement yet? From 7hrs30mins of play time nothing lol.

Think i've had a couple at least one in the prologue area.

Non-story spoilers

Combat related one when I was destroying bandit camps on my horse, think it was for not getting hit.

Wonder if a lot of people's issues with controls and combat come from the lower framerate of the console versions? I'm playing on PC with a smooth 60, and while the combat is not on the level of a Souls game, it's pretty smooth, I like the amount of options I have, I like the difficulty. I think in comparison to nearly all open-world RPGs it's near the top of the heap.

No, it's not on par at all with a game that's ALL about the combat like Souls or God of War, but it's much better than an Elder Scrolls game or Fable game, in my opinion.

EDIT: Bah, bottom of the page.

I am loving this game. But i don't like the segmented world. Also... the points of interest are few and kinda spread evenly. I wish i could just stumble on more things as i explore. Right now i just kinda set my marker to the next question mark and head over there. =\ kinda takes away from the exploration.

I seem to be doing that too, but I think you can turn off the markers somewhere.

SaberVulcan

Has anyone got a trophy/achievement yet? From 7hrs30mins of play time nothing lol.

4 apparently. About 8-9 hours in

There are some points of interest that dont appear on the map, at least at first. I was wandering around last night and found 2 different spots that resulted in a quest/scripted event which were not on the map. I just wandered near a building in both cases.

boskee

Oh WOW! I just let the game running in Velen
near the place where locals want to hang the Nilfgaardian deserter. When I resumed playing, it turns out they already hanged him without me arguing with them first. It makes this world so much more awesome, I can't even...

4 apparently. About 8-9 hours in

There are some points of interest that dont appear on the map, at least at first. I was wandering around last night and found 2 different spots that resulted in a quest/scripted event which were not on the map. I just wandered near a building in both cases.

Come to think of it I may have gained one trophy unless I'm confusing it with another game. I will check tomorrow.

Yibby

I am loving this game. But i don't like the segmented world. Also... the points of interest are few and kinda spread evenly.

I think one problem with the markers is the missing background information, once you get them from the notice board.
Every marker has his own little story, but after you get the notice you can't read it again. I'm missing a way to assign interest points to notices and read them again.

KorrZ

Have you gotten to the main map yet? White Orchard is a bit sparse but so far in Velen I'm finding it's so massive and I'm stumbling onto a lot more quests and the like.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
For those playing the pc version. Is anyone using 360 controller or is the kb/m combo better?

I'm using a 360 controller, it's fine apart from ranged combat, using a crossbow is as awkward as fucking a doorknob.

Woohoo, that very first big monster fight against the
griffin
is well executed, with good build-up and atmosphere. Felt like a genuine badass when it went down, no cutscene, QTE or an attrition of stats versus stats - just your preparation and skill against the game's mechanics.

If this is the shape of things to come, I'm all-in.

Indeed, this is what being a Witcher is all about and I'm glad that this time they designed the first big encounter in a way that really gets that across.
I'm hoping that the game has creatures that can't be killed without specific oils or potions.
The semi-official combat mods for the first 2 games added this feature (for example, it was completely impossible to kill specters without specter oil). These things shouldn't just be there to make fights easier, in certain situations they should be a necessity.

For those playing the pc version. Is anyone using 360 controller or is the kb/m combo better?

360 controller. Played TW2 with kb/m but going with controller for this one, it works well.

It has to be said that despite the scale the game seems more polished at release than the previous games were.

Chariot

Do you get XP from killing monsters outside of quests or not?

Seems to be unclear.
I don't think so. I mean, some Quests give 25 Exp, one quest step gave me 1 exp once, having monstergiving regularly exp would be strange. I think you get exp for killing some for information in the bestiarium or something, but not regularly.

So I've never been a big RPG guy, in fact Mass Effect 2 is the only RPG I've ever really gotten Into and it's rather light on RPG elements, but it's a genre I would love to get into, and Witcher 3 looks like such a fantastically made game that I'm considering starting there.

Are the first 2 games required before playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom