• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question that, I hope, is on topic.

I haven't played the first game in the series, I quit the second one after an hour because I thought the combat was stupid. Should I give The Witcher 3 a chance, or is it just more of the same?

I hated the combat in the second game, it's not much better here, but you may like the rest of the game enough to put up with it. I'm enjoying it a lot and could never get into the second or first games.

Stoze

I have a question that, I hope, is on topic.

I haven't played the first game in the series, I quit the second one after an hour because I thought the combat was stupid. Should I give The Witcher 3 a chance, or is it just more of the same?

It could go either way, you could like it more or hate it even more. It definitely has a strong foundation in the Witcher 2, but you can't do stuff like constantly roll behind fodder enemies and backstab them; they are much more aggressive and agile.

Considering the first hour of the Witcher 2 probably only had like 5-10 actual minutes of combat and you quit just from that, the games may not be for you. You've got to be into the dialogue, characters, and world, otherwise it's probably not worth it. Even if you thought the combat is fantastic, it's probably like 10-15% of the actual gameplay in comparison to everything else. A.k.a, it's an RPG.

valkyre

I'm not sold on that how useful that skill is when there is melee enemies coming for your head too, dodging them and deflecting arrows at same time can be next to impossible. Reason why I now decided to invest into direct sword attack damage so I can take enemies down faster.

Had very good results by messing with their lines of fire, luring melee out and then rushing archers to death. Because they have bows in their hands you just cut through them like butter.

Perhaps its a waste on lower difficulties but in Death March dif arrows can pretty much one shot you early in the game.

On another note, when will DLCs start circulating?

Tovarisc

Is there beastiary entry for Rotfiends? I have killed quite a few of the them, but haven't gotten entry for them.

Perhaps its a waste on lower difficulties but in Death March dif arrows can pretty much one shot you early in the game.

I'm on Death March and only time arrows give me hard time is when I try raid level 14-15 camp as level 6 :D Suckers OHK you from tens of meters away while you do basically 1 damage / strike back. I just line of sight archers and then close in for quick kill.

patapuf

Abilities? I'm talking about the combat mechanics. I don't see the evolution in the combat.

There was no doge, the roll fullfills a different function now, Potions and bombs work differently in combat now, so does the counter. Signs were reworked (Yrden is completely different f.e.). And that's just the stuff you input.

Equipment, enemy weaknesses and behaviour etc. were all expanded by a lot.

The combat is not the best thing ever but it's much better than previous iterations.

SinSilla

I was earlier asking if there was a way to pause cutscenes on the pc version. i found a workaround!

If you are playing with a wireless xbox pad and press the xbox button it throws you on the desktop and shows you the battery status of the pad. Doing this will also pause the game.

So alt-tabbing might work as well, but somehow 90% of my games refuse to let me tab to desktop.

I'm not sold on that how useful that skill is when there is melee enemies coming for your head too, dodging them and deflecting arrows at same time can be next to impossible. Reason why I now decided to invest into direct sword attack damage so I can take enemies down faster.

Had very good results by messing with their lines of fire, luring melee out and then rushing archers to death. Because they have bows in their hands you just cut through them like butter.

When you manage to connect with the redirect, it's magical. I sometimes take a pretty long time to whittle through an enemies health bar with my sword. A redirect is typically a one shot.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nothing in the combat is new, no new mechanic either. For example, if you have played Bayonetta 1 and 2, you can feel the evolution, in the Witcher 3, you don't.

Dodging isn't new? It's an extremely helpful addition IMO, I use it much more than rolling, only doing the latter when I quickly need to get away to avoid getting surrounded (which usually means sure death on Death March) and such.

They didn't do it just to streamline it, they did it to counter-act against the game being open world instead of more linear. They are absolutely everywhere in this game constantly as opposed to being in pre-set spots, and that's because you aren't meant to pick them all up, but rather gather them when they are in your way and at your convenience.

It means collecting herbs you don't need becomes pointless for alchemy (or just sell them), which is how it was in W2 and how it should be. You can collect herbs for making alcohol and buying diagrams for different alcohol just like W2, and then collect more herbs for the things you do want and need so you can raise their maximum usage, and thus cut down on alcohol consumption.

As far as immersion-breaking goes...this series has many, many things in it that sacrifice plausibility for convenience and gameplay reasons, and I think this is one of the least impacting in that regard.

You can make alcohol from herbs? I'm admittedly not far into the game yet, so I haven't really done much with alchemy yet, I was just going off of how I've understood the new system.

Ok, you aren't supposed to pick up more than you really need, but why then are they so prominently displayed on the mini-map? It's completely littered with leaf icons, with no way of turning them off (without getting rid of the mini-map altogether).

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Oh. Cheers. Thats what you get for not reading them i guess.

I was confused about this the first time I yanked the papers off too. Next time I read them, and figured that out lol. I had like 8 papers, and two quests. I was in the menus for like 10 minutes wondering what the hell happened.

leng jai

First impressions of the combat and movement controls are not good. Combat really stinks when you're fighting more than one enemy. I don't remember dying this much in the Witcher 2.

boskee

The game has just autosaved in the middle of the drowner spawn point. Every reload results in me being killed before I even gain control over Geralt. I had to load a save from 10 minutes before that. Ugh.

Grady

Lol at only getting like 25 exp per side quest so far. Still level 1. This will take forever to max levels on death march, so good. Also, bless the sun and stars ability and being able to save whenever and where ever i want.

Tovarisc

Anyone manage to kill that noonwraith? She always regens to 100. Im thinking I need a portion or something

When she disappears and spawns those illusions of her kill them ASAP! They leech HP from you and gives it to Noonwraith. Then just use that slow time sign and you will be fine.

The dodge is new, you can no longer turn on a dime while rolling, the resource system and the signs have been overhauled. Enemies are far more aggressive, they defend better, they evade better. The combat between this and the previous game feel pretty dramatically different.

Yes the dodge is new, and I like it. Enemies behavior has improved, but I'm talking about the mechanics and how you fight in the game, I don't feel the drastic difference. But your comment made me want to mention that Geralt's first attack animation take some time to complete which make you vulnerable during the animation, which makes the combat not accurate imo.

Chariot

Use the magic trap sign, Yrden.

Are you using the
Yrden sign
, which it is weak against? Info from the bestiary.
Guys don't tell him directly. Don't know that proverb with the man the fish? Tell him and people like him where to look not what to do. Otherwise they'll be back at the next new enemy.

A look into the Bestiarium is aleas worth it.

You can fix it like that, or by saving and reloading.
Ok, cool. Thank you!

Anyone manage to kill that noonwraith? She always regens to 100. Im thinking I need a portion or something

You have
to get her in Yrden (that purple circle type thing) then you can bash her in that, it tell you in Beastiary what she's weak too.
Once i'd sussed that out it's a fairly straight forward fight.

Lemondish

Didn't get a chance to play much last night as I was stuck talking to amazon since the collectors edition I purchased arrived with a shattered statue. Nothing they can do :-( What a waste of money that was. I don't know why I keep buying collectors editions from developers I haven't previously supported because they never seem to have the same quality as the ones I get from more established guys.

In any case, I wasn't sure what to pick for the 'simulate Witcher 2' save option. What does that mean?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Guys don't tell him directly. Don't know that proverb with the man the fish? Tell him and people like him where to look not what to do. Otherwise they'll be back at the next new enemy.

A look into the Bestiarium is aleas worth it.

You're right.

Stoze

Ok, you aren't supposed to pick up more than you really need, but why then are they so prominently displayed on the mini-map? It's completely littered with leaf icons, with no way of turning them off (without getting rid of the mini-map altogether).

You can pick up as much as you want, and it will always be technically beneficial since you can sell the ones you don't need. But it's not like W2 where you can clear off an area of herbs and be done with it. You obviously aren't meant to pick up every herb you see here, because if you try that you would be doing it forever, and that wouldn't be fun.

I'm not trying to tell a fellow Witcher how to pick their herbs, but if you get tired of picking them the new alchemy system is designed more for that. It's littered with leaf icons, because like I said, they are everywhere, like plants actually are in wildlife areas. It's that much desired realism you were after :p

Majukun

just be aggressive, if you attack her from behind she can't defend at all.. just try not to exaggerate since sooner or later she will manage to turn around.. and when she creates these clones eliminate them as fast as possible since it's that move that drains your energy and heal her. I managed to do it with a lv inferior to the one suggested that way

if you are too patient she will recharge the damage you do to her between the clones

Anustart

Do I have to kill the
noonwraith
? I'm trying to get near the damn well to find the bracelet but everytime it's uh oh, got too close!

I'd really like to just release her shackles to this mortal realm peacefully.

Woohoo, that very first big monster fight against the
griffin
is well executed, with good build-up and atmosphere. Felt like a genuine badass when it went down, no cutscene, QTE or an attrition of stats versus stats - just your preparation and skill against the game's mechanics.

If this is the shape of things to come, I'm all-in.

RoKKeR

Woohoo, that very first big monster fight against the
griffin
is well executed, with good build-up and atmosphere. Felt like a genuine badass when it went down, no cutscene, QTE or an attrition of stats versus stats - just your preparation and skill against the game's mechanics.

If this is the shape of things to come, I'm all-in.
Yep, and I really liked prepping for that fight, taking yhr time to make sure I had all the right gear/buffs on before going in.

sgs2008

Do I have to kill the
noonwraith
? I'm trying to get near the damn well to find the bracelet but everytime it's uh oh, got too close!

You fight her regardless so dont worry about it

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished the main part of the Bloody Baron quest.

1a5aa909180d3117b2299osl1x.jpg

Geralt has the shittiest fucking job.

Majukun

Do I have to kill the
noonwraith

I guess so.. found no way to resolve the thing peacefully even doing all the steps of the quest.. don't know if you can just straight up 'kill' her

patapuf

Read the bestiary. It details the oil, the sign and the bomb that works well against her.

If you kill the illusions quickly she won't regen iirc. She also becomes visible in Yrden, which allows you to A LOT more damage

Majukun

so.. is there any specific potion that works well against the boss of the first area, or I just need some generic ones?

Aside from leveling up and upgrading items, nothing about Bloodborne is even remotely "an RPG" in the first place.

huh? Exploration, NPC quests, farming items for chalice dungeons, leveling up, charater creation, character builds, PVP and other things are not considered RPG elements? Tell me more about your definition of RPG.

epmode

GAF, I've gotten used to the combat and I'm really enjoying this game. The sidequests are so goddamned good. It's a night and day difference from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom