• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Does anyone else absolutely love playing Gwent? I want to collect all those cards!

They should've let you import cards from Witcher 1 saves.

When/where do we get crossbows?

You're formally introduced and given one during the (commonly known)
Griffon Quest
, but you can purchase them from various merchants earlier than that.

I feel like I'm the only one who's enjoying the combat lol.

You're not alone. Though I wonder if it's because as a veteran of Witcher 1 and Witcher 2, I'm simply comparing it with their systems. Certainly not perfect, but considering the foundation the Witcher series has stuck with its combat, it's fine for me.

I played 2 hours last night. I have played Witcher 2 so I am familiar with the plot. But combat does not feel right. I recently played AC Unity and surprisingly I find combat better on AC Unity than witcher. I am hoping that as I get more familiar with combat it will get better.

epmode

I feel like I'm the only one who's enjoying the combat lol. It's not perfect but I'm approaching enemies slowly and methodically, almost Souls'ish, using signs liberally and timing parry attacks as best I can. I think it's pretty fun personally.

It can't stand up to dedicated action games but it's really great for epic open-world RPGs. I'm enjoying it too.

I agree about the complaint regarding attack animations though. I was positive that this game was going to standardize the time it takes to make a light attack but it's still tough to predict.

Panda Rin

This is up there with my GOTY so far along with Bloodborne. I've gotten used to the combat (Quen is super powerful), and the world feel so alive. I'm treating the combat in the same way as Bloodborne

Activate Quen > Wait for enemy to attack > dodge around to their back > stabby stabby

Also Gwent..best minigame ever.

Damn, the finishers are brutal! This is much more in line with how sword fights usually end in the books lol.

People barely make an effort to adjust to a game these days when it doesn't play like they expect when going in.

erawsd

GAF, I downloaded the beard DLC from GOG before realizing that doing so disables the game's number one feature: Realtime beard growth

Now that I know about this awful side effect, I'm VERY WORRIED that Geralt's beard will never grow again. Could someone confirm that disabling the beard/hair DLC will allow Geralt's beautiful beard to grow once more?

This is very important.

Just downloading the DLC doesnt disable it. Having the Barber give you a particular style will disable it. However, you can always shave and it goes back to growing.

Gaz_RB

I feel like I'm the only one who's enjoying the combat lol. It's not perfect but I'm approaching enemies slowly and methodically, almost Souls'ish, using signs liberally and timing parry attacks as best I can. I think it's pretty fun personally.

Yeah the combat is great. Such a blast.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The inventory screen on consoles is horrendous. Massive lag when trying to navigate around it. And how come I can't toggle between Geralt and the Seller screen? I have to navigate all the way to the right? Bleah.

I'm assuming the Temarian Armor dlc isn't up yet for PS4?

epmode

I've really only had to repair a sword twice and I'm like 12-14 hours in and level 7.

I have a feeling that some people are using Repair All even though it repairs stull that the isn't even equipped. This can be bad if you like picking up garbage weapons to sell or dismantle.

I'd like a Diablo-style Repair Equipped button.

RK9039

I'm enjoying it a lot as well, probably because I can see the improvements from the previous games.

Quen is still my main sign, I dodge towards enemies when they attack to get right behind them and get a few hits in (a bit like Bloodborne/Souls). Some enemies you have to roll away from like the Endrega warriors because of their tail attack. Use Swallow when needed, and have some bombs ready. I love it.

Dresden

I agree about the complaint regarding attack animations though. I was positive that this game was going to standardize the time it takes to make a light attack but it's still tough to predict.

Yeah, that bugs me. Also wish in-combat movement was sped up and there was less reliance on launching Geralt with leaping swings from afar.

aravuus

Damn, the finishers are brutal! This is much more in line with how sword fights usually end in the books lol.

People barely make an effort to adjust to a game these days when it doesn't play like they expect when going in.

The slow motion beheading finishers are fucking amazing

Virdix

Yeah the combat is great. Such a blast.

Same, I really just wanna go home and play, though people have me worried I wont get a sweet armor set since i dont have the starting gear anymore.

Pretty much exclusively using the School of the
Viper, Serpentine
swords that I found in White Orchard. Pretty far into Velen and I'm level 5 on BaBB.

Tried to the quest Contract:
Missing Brother
Req lvl 33 early because i stumbled upon the cave while on another quest, I think you can
complete it early or decide to delve further into the cave(which I of course did)
. Man, I cant wait to fight some of the higher level monsters.

I have a feeling that some people are using Repair All even though it repairs stull that the isn't even equipped. This can be bad if you like picking up garbage weapons to sell or dismantle.

I'd like a Diablo-style Repair Equipped button.

I'm really surprised they didn't include this. But still, I'm playing on normal and the sword degrades way too fast. Maybe you're supposed to constantly change swords or something?

RK9039

Same, I really just wanna go home and play, though people have me worried I wont get a sweet armor set since i dont have the starting gear anymore.

From what I have in my crafting tab, there are better armour sets than Geralt's upgraded Wolf set. Unless you can upgrade it even more, I think there are three stages to these Witcher sets (Wolf, Viper and w/e the other one is, Griffin maybe).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just saw the Kotaku piece that suggested you keep your original witcher gear as this becomes some of the best upgrades you can get later on, and the diagrams require the originals as part of the materials. I already upgraded the chest item once, but I got a better sword (iron) early on and sold the witcher blade.

Death March difficulty so I needed the cash, yo

Anyone know a way for me to get it back? Crafting or buying elsewhere?
Or do items sold to vendors persist, so I can just buy it back?

Damn, kind of dislike when RPG's do this.

"Here's this useless wooden spoon, hold onto it because later on it becomes the win button!"

Just an optional bonus thing, but it also kind of ruins the thrill of upgrade progression knowing that someday all this other stuff I am finding and improving is gonna be totally worthless because my wooden spoon will go super seiyan eventually.

drotahorror

Sorry I can't post a pic, but I found some rubble in a cave later on and it was all lit up in witcher senses and had an almost hypnotize looking icon. It was round and swirly, looked like a 'sign' icon but it's definitely nothing I have. I'm in Velen
with the witch chasing after the wild hunt in the area where you kill a boss with the witch

People having trouble with the combat aren't using signs properly. I basically dropped all my points in the first area into sign shenanigans. Yrden is RIDICULOUSLY helpful and making it last like...40 seconds is great. Putting the Medium Armor style on it to increase the slowdown works wonders. Made a couple group fights and Wraith fights utter child's play.

That said, I'm pretty sure that Bear fight by the Power Point should be labeled "TUTORIAL FIGHT" because it really makes you learn the combat system. Actually, as people were saying earlier, Bear Fights in RPGs should really be the first bosses of the game. They're always the hardest motherfuckers.

Also I'm really REALLY liking how a lot of the sidequests and main quest stuff is tying together. Getting a complete picture of the first hunt during the main quest when you talk to the Herbalist and Hunter was a pleasant surprise. The storytelling methods in this game are very effective.

My main complaint is jumping is SO JANKY it hurts.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just saw the Kotaku piece that suggested you keep your original witcher gear as this becomes some of the best upgrades you can get later on, and the diagrams require the originals as part of the materials. I already upgraded the chest item once, but I got a better sword (iron) early on and sold the witcher blade.

Death March difficulty so I needed the cash, yo

Anyone know a way for me to get it back? Crafting or buying elsewhere?
Or do items sold to vendors persist, so I can just buy it back?
Ah, shit. Time to rebuy LOL

woen

Why do I have loud outdated summaries when I fast travel ? Even when I load up a game it's annoying (though it's less outdated)

BumRush

You're not alone. It's not souls but only souls is. It's engaging, difficult and rewarding, albeit not EXTREMELY tight.

Man, just got out of White Orchard this morning (after probably a good 8 hours or so). Was immediately overwhelmed by the size of the map and started having DA: Inquisition flashbacks.

My temporary solution is to turn off the point-of-interest markers on the map, and really try to role-play as Geralt here -- he's on an important and personal quest, not playing OCD map janitor, so I'm going to try and stick to the main path, w/ only the deviations that naturally present themselves as I do. If I find I'm underleveled/under-funded, I'll strike out a bit farther afield.

KorrZ

You're not alone, I've been enjoying it as well so far. It feels really good when you come up against a group of enemies, side step around all their blows and slice them into little bits finishing with one of the execution moves. So so satisfying.

Taking a vacation and won't be able to play, so binged and got about 15 hours of play in (I think).

Only level 6 and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of the story.

Latest quest I just did was the Ghost in the Tree, related to the Crones/the bog witches, which was horrifying and awesome at the same time. Basically, you hear about a disturbance in part of the woods and you find this giant tree--a voice whispers to you, asking you to help it.

Now, up to this point, I had talked with Gran, who watched a group of orphan children as a "protector", but it was clear she communed in some way with the Crones.

I discovered the entrance to the tree and found
a disgusting Lovecraftian glob of organs and spiky bones(?). She claimed she had been unfairly imprisoned by the Crones and she needs to be freed to "save the children".

I can't stress enough how terrifying this creature is-
-it speaks in poem/rhyme, or at least a rhythm most of the time and its dialogue is fantastic. Its "body"--that is, its giant, swollen heart--rhythmically breathes in and out.

It gives you the option to either
kill it, or free it. Feeling ballsy, I chose to free it. Oh, of course, it involves a ritual: she needs a raven's feather, a black mare, and the bones from her grave.

I already had the feather and found/tamed a mare using Axii. I found her grave and dug up her bones, which I noted "didn't appear to be human". Great.

So, bringing all the materials to her, I was given my final options: complete the ritual, pretend to complete the ritual and actually kill it, or just straight up fight/kill it. Wanting to stick to my guns, I chose to complete the ritual to free it.

The end result was the creature's spirit entered the black mare--and she honored her promise to free the children! The Crones were mad the next time I saw them, since I had gotten rid of their "stock".

Fantastic. It being a
"good guy" was something that I totally thought could happen, but holy shit, this thing seemed EVIL to the core--they're basically DARING you to trust it and set it free.
And I'm not even sure if I did the right thing!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My temporary solution is to turn off the point-of-interest markers on the map, and really try to role-play as Geralt here -- he's on an important and personal quest, not playing OCD map janitor, so I'm going to try and stick to the main path, w/ only the deviations that naturally present themselves as I do. If I find I'm underleveled/under-funded, I'll strike out a bit farther afield.

Stop checking notice boards and points of interest will not appear on the map until you're in proximity or trigger the quests through other means.

aravuus

Damn, kind of dislike when RPG's do this.

"Here's this useless wooden spoon, hold onto it because later on it becomes the win button!"

Just an optional bonus thing, but it also kind of ruins the thrill of upgrade progression knowing that someday all this other stuff I am finding and improving is gonna be totally worthless because my wooden spoon will go super seiyan eventually.

Yeeeah, not a fan. Especially with a game that has a weight system for its items, carrying a shitty sword around just adds dead weight. Can't remember if I sold the stuff or dismantled them, hopefully the former.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Only a few hours into this and character movement still feels weird, like Geralt is in fast forward or too slow. Anyone else? Also noticed the camera movement was crazy-fast but I found a slider for that. Please GAF, tell me I'm not alone

Chariot

9EFEE6F175908E01D07FEFB84C5C2124CF3F9CD8

Man, that trader wanted to be REALLY sure that he win that round.

epmode

Only a few hours into this and character movement still feels weird, like Geralt is in fast forward or too slow. Anyone else? Also noticed the camera movement was crazy-fast but I found a slider for that. Please GAF, tell me I'm not alone

It would be nice to have a fourth movement speed, yeah. Between walk and run.

Got the message about my sword being wrecked for the first time just now, had 2 other just like it in my inventory lol.
Equipment is expensive if you buy it instead of crafting it and there's a lot just lying around.
A lot of the points of interest on the map have good loot. The first armor I equipped after the starting armor was in a chest guarded by some deserters and it was a significant upgrade.
Same for boots, trousers, swords, etc.
If you feel the newest equipment at the merchant is too expensive look around, you might a diagram to craft it or other equipment that is better than your current.
Money is usually tight in Witcher games, don't go on a buying spree as soon as you hit a new town.

Nope you are not alone. Frankly I think jumping looks werid.

woen

Not of a fan of "keep your first gear you'll need it when you're level 25 !" too because there's no indication and the weight system is already a pain in the ass at level...5

Covers up part of the loading

Half of it and I can't skip the cutscene.

Chitown B

About 12 hours in on Blood and Broken Bones. Game is perfect except for two things:

1. Durability sucks. It's expensive, kits are hard to come by, weapons wear out too frequently and it comes off as a time limit before you need to fast travel to a blacksmith. Keep me in the action, game. I don't want to be interrupted every twenty minutes with menial micromanagement.

It should either be removed altogether or exchanged for a Fallout/Dying Light system where junk weapons can be destroyed to repair your main ones.

2. Geralt's attack animations are still too unpredictable. Maybe it's just my perception, but it definitely seems like, even among quick attacks alone, some animations have more of a wind-up. I can never tell how Geralt is going to swing his sword, and I feel like some swings are clearly more useful than others.

In Dark Souls, every R1 with a particular sword produces the same slash, every R2 is the same poke. This makes the combat easy to learn, as your own moves always have the same range. In TW3, sometimes Geralt will roll, spin, lunge or twist during a light attack, other times he'll just do a swing or a poke.

The game seems like it's always trying to decide what animation is most appropriate for him to use at the time, instead of allowing me to strategically choose how he'll move. On higher difficulties, hyper-aggressive monsters don't afford you the few frames he needs to perform his flashier maneuvers.

good points

hlhbk

Posting again for those who missed it last night....

Not sure if this has been posted yet. To disable the message that a gamepad has been detected over and over again:

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36k02v/question_disable_the_gamepad_detected_box/

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:

"...The Witcher 3binconfigbase"

Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.

Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"

This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom