• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any tips to the card game?
I feel like most opponents just unload all of their cards in round 1.

I really need a better deck though. They guy at the Emperor's castle demolished me.

Atone13

Man I am loving this game, I hop to play for a little bit, next thing I know 2 hours have gone by. Also, very glad I popped in here catch up on this thread because....

I have a feeling that some people are using Repair All even though it repairs stull that the isn't even equipped. This can be bad if you like picking up garbage weapons to sell or dismantle.

I'd like a Diablo-style Repair Equipped button.

Oh. My. God. I just realized I must have been doing this.... Such a waste of coin. At least I know now!! Won't be making this mistake again. Thank you very much.

Edit:

Also this,

There's a potion that does it. You've just gotta keep an eye out for it at vendors. Potion of Clearance, or something along those lines.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

The gore in this game is so damn good, sliced a dude diagonally and used to aard to blast the body at his friends. Is there a way to increase the chance to decapitate/amputate outside of the Griffin trophy?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I would like to point out that they have done the correct version of herb gathering. Making you kneel down and play out an animation every time you gather an herb is terrible. Just terrible.

Afrodium

Banned
I sold my Witcher armor and have no clue where it is. I've visited ever merchant to no avail. Can I craft it later? Do they really give you armor that's quickly outclassed and never tell you to keep it?

Dresden

I sold my Witcher armor and have no clue where it is. I've visited ever merchant to no avail. Can I craft it later? Do they really give you armor that's quickly outclassed and never tell you to keep it?

don't worry about it

there are distinct sets of craftable witcher armor for each weight tier and none of them involve the starter chestpiece.

The tiny UI/text, the awkward movement, and the stuttering camera severly dampens my desire to play this game. I never thought in a million years I'd be feeling this way right now. Bummer. Maybe I'll regroup and accept it and get into it eventually.

Stop checking notice boards and points of interest will not appear on the map until you're in proximity or trigger the quests through other means.

I asked yesterday and didn't get an answer. Do you get the points of interest on Blood and Broken Bones Difficulty? Because I didn't notice anything in White Orchard after reading the notices.

Sanctuary

Is there any way to meditate without the game automatically eating up some alcohol? Because it's pretty wasteful to have 2/3 potion stock and the game uses up alcohol just for one more, instead of waiting until you're at 0/3.

Dresden

I asked yesterday and didn't get an answer. Do you get the points of interest on Blood and Broken Bones Difficulty? Because I didn't notice anything in White Orchard after reading the notices.

I get them on death march so yes. Most of the notices don't do anything, they're just there for flavor (hey asshole that stole my food, the sausage I left out last night was filled with shit and piss hope you die xoxo).

Played a few hours last night and this morning... I have to say that the smith quest took me by surprise.

I mean he did burn down this guys house, but I expected him to be more forgiving when he recognized him... Didn't expect him to be so cavalier about the guy being hung.

Bluenoser

I have a question regarding the notice board postings.

I checked it when I first got to town in the starting area, and grabbed the 5-6 that were there. I thought they all added quests to my log like in the Witcher 2 but when I grabbed the 2nd batch later on, none of them ended up in my quest log. Yet, the notices aren't in my inventory... so.... where are they? What was the point of them if they don't offer any objectives?

The inventory system in this game is embarrassing for a 2015 game. No sort options, and items are laid out in a total random mess, where you have to hover each one to see what they are. It reminds me of FFXIV: ARR when it first launched.

Am I missing something or are others noticing this too?

erawsd

People having trouble with the combat aren't using signs properly. I basically dropped all my points in the first area into sign shenanigans. Yrden is RIDICULOUSLY helpful and making it last like...40 seconds is great. Putting the Medium Armor style on it to increase the slowdown works wonders. Made a couple group fights and Wraith fights utter child's play.

That said, I'm pretty sure that Bear fight by the Power Point should be labeled "TUTORIAL FIGHT" because it really makes you learn the combat system. Actually, as people were saying earlier, Bear Fights in RPGs should really be the first bosses of the game. They're always the hardest motherfuckers.

Also I'm really REALLY liking how a lot of the sidequests and main quest stuff is tying together. Getting a complete picture of the first hunt during the main quest when you talk to the Herbalist and Hunter was a pleasant surprise. The storytelling methods in this game are very effective.

My main complaint is jumping is SO JANKY it hurts.

I love that the game doesn't beat you over the head with it. You get bits and pieces from the quests and npcs and they respect the player to put it all together yourself. Theres a really nice "Aha moment" when you start to connect the dots.

pakkit

Banned
Yeah, that bugs me. Also wish in-combat movement was sped up and there was less reliance on launching Geralt with leaping swings from afar.

It's distance based, as opposed to standardized long/short attacks.

If you're doing a light attack from afar, best believe Geralt will pirouette like it's Swan Lake's finale.

Dynasty8

装甲悪鬼村正;164580669 said:
One-shotted by a Grave Hag. I guess when the enemy level is all ??? it's probably a good idea not to fuck with them lol.

Yeah. Anyone with a ??? is automatic suicide.

RK9039

I checked it when I first got to town in the starting area, and grabbed the 5-6 that were there. I thought they all added quests to my log like in the Witcher 2 but when I grabbed the 2nd batch later on, none of them ended up in my quest log. Yet, the notices aren't in my inventory... so.... where are they? What was the point of them if they don't offer any objectives?

The inventory system in this game is embarrassing for a 2015 game. No sort options, and items are laid out in a total random mess, where you have to hover each one to see what they are. It reminds me of FFXIV: ARR when it first launched.

They become point of interest locations on the map, the '?' places. At least for the yellow notice board, the white boards are just notes.

Chariot

A lot of them are just fluff to add to the atmosphere and story. You should read them.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
About 12 hours in on Blood and Broken Bones. Game is perfect except for two things:

1. Durability sucks. It's expensive, kits are hard to come by, weapons wear out too frequently and it comes off as a time limit before you need to fast travel to a blacksmith. Keep me in the action, game. I don't want to be interrupted every twenty minutes with menial micromanagement.

It should either be removed altogether or exchanged for a Fallout/Dying Light system where junk weapons can be destroyed to repair your main ones.

2. Geralt's attack animations are still too unpredictable. Maybe it's just my perception, but it definitely seems like, even among quick attacks alone, some animations have more of a wind-up. I can never tell how Geralt is going to swing his sword, and I feel like some swings are clearly more useful than others.

In Dark Souls, every R1 with a particular sword produces the same slash, every R2 is the same poke. This makes the combat easy to learn, as your own moves always have the same range. In TW3, sometimes Geralt will roll, spin, lunge or twist during a light attack, other times he'll just do a swing or a poke.

The game seems like it's always trying to decide what animation is most appropriate for him to use at the time, instead of allowing me to strategically choose how he'll move. On higher difficulties, hyper-aggressive monsters don't afford you the few frames he needs to perform his flashier maneuvers.

Can agree here and W2 suffered the same problem with attack animations. Can be extremely aggravating when trying to survive with completely randomized animations for your crucial attacks. Death isn't my fault game... Geralt acted like a spinning lunatic(didn't he tell Ciri in the prologue NOT to do that shit??!)

I adapt and am not overly bummed as some others, but its clear the sword combat was designed to be flashy and acrobatic for the casuls than truly balanced for the grognards of us playing Death March. I am focusing more on magic which thankfully doesn't decide to do random shit when I hit the button.

ohlawd

can I parry everything?

been trying to do it on these wolves. come to think of it, the only time I successfully parried was free training with Vesemir >_>

Edzi

Loving this game, but I just had one really annoying thing happen to one of my quests in the beginning area. It's the one with the herbalist. After giving the wounded girl some Swallow potion, I left and checked the completed quest description in my menu. For some reason, it spoiled me on the outcome of the quest, saying something to the effect of,
"soon after, Geralt went to such and such city and found out from the Nilfgaardian guards that the girl was alive but basically a vegetable because she couldn't handle the potion".
Did the game just make a mistake and accidentally trigger that text to appear? Kind of a bummer that I didn't get to discover that organically.

ironcreed

Banned
If you have not yet done so, sail on up to the lighthouse and check out the view of Novigrad across the water at sunset. Spectacular.

rashbeep

Banned
What?

You're tripping

Best ass is clearly the herbalist in White Orchid

stalone_and_patrick_swayze__gif.gif

Knew I wasn't the only one who noticed it :p

Dynasty8

I would like to point out that they have done the correct version of herb gathering. Making you kneel down and play out an animation every time you gather an herb is terrible. Just terrible.

Agreed, but sometimes I wish that any herb you already have just goes straight into your inventory rather than having the menu to "take" or "take all" pop up.

Ferrio

Banned
Hope the quests after the first area give some better rewards, I'm so broke. Doesn't help I'm a kind asshole and decline money sometimes.

ryushe

So, question: I bought the physical PC version of this game but I don't currently have internet connection, am I able to play without needing to go online to activate it or no?

Edit:
Just read the manual and yep, I need it for the first time connection. Super bummed out. :(

Verger

Banned
Just popping in quickly and the thread is too large so I apologize if this has been stated many times over already but...

...How are the sidequests? Are they better/more fulfilling and interesting than those in that bore of a game in Dragon Age Inquisition?

I obviously enjoyed Witcher 1 and 2, but the move to pseudo-open-world had me worried a bit.

Bytes

Just saw the Kotaku piece that suggested you keep your original witcher gear as this becomes some of the best upgrades you can get later on, and the diagrams require the originals as part of the materials. I already upgraded the chest item once, but I got a better sword (iron) early on and sold the witcher blade.

Death March difficulty so I needed the cash, yo

Anyone know a way for me to get it back? Crafting or buying elsewhere?
Or do items sold to vendors persist, so I can just buy it back?

So what is the name of the original Witcher stuff? Want to check if I still have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom