• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Karl Hawk

Banned
Yeah I know but it seemed for that choice the white one ended the conversation and was only good if you wanted something bad to happen to her instead of deciding which was the better option yourself. And I know Keira is supposed to be a side fling but I can't imagine anyone choosing the choice where he says he has someone else in mind unless they also read the books or something. They just kinda threw Yennefer in after 2 games and told me I'm expected to care about her. Idk. Just a minor gripe, I have no problem being a Witcher gigolo.

Edit: also should I install all the free dlc now or will it mess up the balance of the game?

They don't mess up the balance of the game too much (Only three armor sets (Nilfgaardian, Temerian and Undvik) and one Witcher set (Wolven set) ), so yes, you should download them all (The three crossbows you get from free DLC are useless)

If you don't like the alternate outfits, you can always turn them off in the DLC menu.

Do you get them automatically or do you need to find/buy them in the world?

And yeah I didn't download any of the alternate outfits lol, no thanks

Karl Hawk

Banned
Do you get them automatically or do you need to find/buy them in the world?

And yeah I didn't download any of the alternate outfits lol, no thanks

You need to buy the armor sets. As for the DLC Witcher set, you need to buy a treasure map from certain armorers/blacksmiths to initiate a treasure hunt. I could tell where to buy the witcher sets treasure maps, but I prefer not to spoil it for ya. :p

HeelPower

So the ending left me a bit cold and not 100% satisfied.

Do you guys recommend another playthrough ?(probably gonna burnthrough NG+ on easy or something)

Is it worth it ? or should I just youtube and wiki to get a more well rounded view of the ending ?

A fantastic game of the highest order,but they sure did cram and make a bit mess of the final parts of the game story wise.

So the ending left me a bit cold and not 100% satisfied.

Do you guys recommend another playthrough ?(probably gonna burnthrough NG+ on easy or something)

Is it worth it ? or should I just youtube and wiki to get a more well rounded view of the ending ?

A fantastic game of the highest order,but they sure did cram and make a bit mess of the final parts of the game story wise.

I recommend NG+ because there are many quests that can turn out very differently based on your choices and you can try out other builds. I think it will help you appreciate the game even more. What ending did you get? I thought my ending was pretty great.

Karl Hawk

Banned
What ending did you get? I thought my ending was pretty great.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got
Ciri dies ending. After all, its heartbreaking as all hell, especially with Geralt showing grief for the loss of his adopted daughter

Nevertheless, I do agree with the sentiment that Act 3 is somewhat of a mess storyline-wise

HeelPower

I recommend NG+ because there are many quests that can turn out very differently based on your choices and you can try out other builds. I think it will help you appreciate the game even more. What ending did you get? I thought my ending was pretty great.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got
Ciri dies ending. After all, its heartbreaking as all hell, especially with Geralt showing grief for the loss of his adopted daughter

Nevertheless, I do agree with the sentiment that Act 3 is somewhat of a mess storyline-wise

I got the
happy ending actually
,but I wasn't satisfied with
white frost stuff ,Radovid's quest and just the fight with the wild hunt wasn't internally consistent or convincing enough to me

I think I had higher expectations after TW2 which I think had a better ending over all.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I got the
happy ending actually
white frost stuff ,Radovid's quest and just the fight with the wild hunt wasn't internally consistent or convincing enough to me

I think I had higher expectations after TW2 which I think had a better ending over all.

Ah. Well, in that case, I agree with you.
White frost, Radovid and the assassination questline (Well just Reasons of State), as well as the Wild Hunt were my biggest problems in terms of writing

As much as I liked Witcher 3's main story, Witcher 1's and 2's main stories were better.

HeelPower

Ah. Well, in that case, I agree with you.
White frost, Radovid and the assassination questline (Well just Reasons of State), as well as the Wild Hunt were my biggest problems in terms of writing

As much as I liked Witcher 3's main story, Witcher 1's and 2's main stories were better.

Yeah I agree.

Witcher 1 handled Ithlene's prophecy and the source child,even The Wild Hunt better.Though obviously Ciri was the more endearing character than Alvin~Jacques De Aldersberg . W1 was more grounded lore wise.

They simply wanted to resolve too much in one game and it was out of control.
They wanted to resolve The Wild Hunt, ragh nar roog AND the north-south war all in the final couple hours of the game.It was a bit sloppy.

I got the
happy ending actually

I think
the white frost stuff was okay(I liked that they didn't drag it out), but yeah I agree that the Wild Hunt and Reasons of State quest were underwhelming. I thought you were referring to the epilogue at first, which I quite liked.

Karl Hawk

Banned
What did you not like about Reason of State?
Answer with spoiler tags if you wish.

The end of the questline, to say the least. I didn't like the fact that Dijkstra went full-on stupid and decided to have Roche, Ves, and Thaler killed even when a bloody Witcher is among them.

Man, I fucking love Vesemir. Like, I'm really really in love with him.

Mid-end game spoilers:
what makes even more painful the fact that he dies :(

I wanna finish up a good chunk of Velen before heading to Novigrad but I also wanna change my hair, any barbers in Velen?
You can free one from a cage that'll set up shop in one of the villages you pass when you first got to Velen, but it's been so long I don't remember where he was being held.

Coreda

You can free one from a cage that'll set up shop in one of the villages you pass when you first got to Velen, but it's been so long I don't remember where he was being held.

Well I'll be. Can't even remember this, but according to the map he's located in Claywich, south of Crow's Perch.

Nordicus

What did you not like about Reason of State?
Answer with spoiler tags if you wish.
The end of the questline, to say the least. I didn't like the fact that Dijkstra went full-on stupid and decided to have Roche, Ves, and Thaler killed even when a bloody Witcher is among them.
Also,
Djikstra, who was previously unwilling to go to gang war with Whoreson Jr, and kept talking about how wars just make things messier, decided to go into actual war. With. Fucking. Nilfgaard.

Just absolutely horrible writing

Lender

I can now choose to get
ciri and my allies to gather them at Kaer Morhen
. Does that mean the main story is about to end? I really want it to go on for a long time, but I have the feeling that I'm nearing the endgame.

Holy shit oxenfurt is beautiful. Kinda silly they block the bridge when you can just swim across though. Also if I shave my beard will it still grow back over time?

One of the funniest moments in the game is the witcher contract in Novigrad where you gotta find that imp that's stealing from merchants
it turns out it's a doppler and when he transforms into Geralt, Geralt walks up to him and says "Damn I look old"

I'm actually pretty surprised how many funny moments there are in the game.

Lender

One of the funniest moments in the game is the witcher contract in Novigrad where you gotta find that imp that's stealing from merchants
it turns out it's a doppler and when he transforms into Geralt, Geralt walks up to him and says "Damn I look old"

I'm actually pretty surprised how many funny moments there are in the game.

Funniest moment I had so far was when you have a
few drinks
with you fellow witchers, and the night ends with all of you
dressing up in Yenefer clothes and try to activate her megascope to invite some 'bitches' over.
The entire scene and the scenes leading up to it had me in stiches. :D

Heh, a Nilfgaardian soldier just approached me concerning the fate of the wounded woman in White Orchard. Didn't have that happen in my other playthrough.

You know, I have plenty of new games to play, but I find myself playing the Witcher 3 instead, just wandering around.

I just want Blood and Wine already.

Funniest moment I had so far was when you have a
few drinks
with you fellow witchers, and the night ends with all of you
dressing up in Yenefer clothes and try to activate her megascope to invite some 'bitches' over.
The entire scene and the scenes leading up to it had me in stiches. :D

Either that quest or the wedding quest in Hearts of Stone is the funniest. Trolls are hilarious as well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Heart of Stone is one of the best values at $10 and would have easily been worth $15.

I am majorly excited about Blood and Wine.

Although I am kind of Witchered out at the moment.

jesus christ at the framerate, pop-in and dithering in Novigrad on PS4. Stark contrast to Oxenfurt which looks great and runs smooth. They should have compromised and put loading screens at the entrance gates.

Edit: also I feel like light armor works best with my playstyle:fast attack, igni, quen. But i prefer how heavy armor and to a lesser extent medium armor looks. I just wanna be fashionable ;_;

Also regarding trolls; I'm playing without subtitles and had no idea what the rock troll near Oxenfurt was saying so I reloaded and put subtitles on thinking it would fix it. Nope, lol. Also playing on blood and broken bones and wish I started on death march, the balance curve is severely messed up. I figured I'd become a god eventually like in 2 but not at level 11..

Got the game for Christmas and have been in love with it! Question, though. I heard people online say you could give honeycombs to the herbalist in White Orchard for 18 crowns but it's only saying 7 crowns for me. Am I doing something wrong or did they change the value of honeycombs with a patch?

LogicStep

So I want to start playing again. I was towards the end of the main story line but I wanted to explore and do side quests. I have done some side quests but not nearly enough or explored that much. My problem is that I'm too high level for most of these things so it's just a walk in the park and it gets a bit too easy. What should I do?

So I want to start playing again. I was towards the end of the main story line but I wanted to explore and do side quests. I have done some side quests but not nearly enough or explored that much. My problem is that I'm too high level for most of these things so it's just a walk in the park and it gets a bit too easy. What should I do?

I kept them for my next playthrough on NG+.

I think they're still worth doing even if they're grey. Maybe you can impose some restrictions like no quen or something of that sort. If you're really overleveled though just save them for NG+.

ParityBit

I got the game for my PS4 for xmas. I have yet to play but I must say I really appreciate the paper map, printed game manual and compendium!! It has been sooooooooooooo long since I enjoyed opening a game box. Major good feels!

X-Frame

I got the game for my PS4 for xmas. I have yet to play but I must say I really appreciate the paper map, printed game manual and compendium!! It has been sooooooooooooo long since I enjoyed opening a game box. Major good feels!

I got mine for Xmas too and when I opened the case I immediately commented on this too. I loved it!

I also am about 6 hours into this game and really enjoying it. I'm sure I'll be popping back on here for questions and help soon.

It's cool but it's no bear or wolf armor. Also are tier 4 witcher gear indisputably the best armor in the game or will you come across random loot that's sometimes better?

You can find gear that is better or around the same level depending on your playstyle, but don't expect them to be common and a few of them are only available once you get Hearts of Stone.

Skellige Undvik, New Moon, Olfieri and Order of the Flaming Rose
are some of the ones I can think of and there is also a lot of great relic gear.
I know there are a couple level 60+ swords that have a chance to instakill.

Got the game two days ago. Tips?

Don't rely on quen, learn the movesets of enemies. Don't use lock on. Dodging is usually better than rolling in most circumstances. Read the bestiary and learn enemy weaknesses.

Potions and bombs are essential. Buy diagrams for them. Oils aren't necessary, but they do make a difference. This isn't a game that you can just burn through. Take your time.

Mix in sidequests(sidequests are amazing in this game) with the main quests so that you're not overleveled for them later. Gwent is really fun and even if you don't get it initially, it's worth sticking with because it has great payoff later.

I also don't recommend trying to beeline from POI to POI at all. Some say the game is better with the hud and minimap turned off.

Also, turn on alternate movement controls.

Denton

Got the game two days ago. Tips? I remember some people saying you should turn off map icons. Is that recommended?

Leave the question marks enabled for White Orchard and visit them all, then disable them when you are about to leave. Exploration will be more enjoyable that way.

Top Bottom