• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Dries

Is it true what someone else said a few posts ago? I also just arrived in Skellige. Am I just at 20% of the Main Quest? Damn, this game is long.

Skii

Is it true what someone else said a few posts ago? I also just arrived in Skellige. Am I just at 20% of the Main Quest? Damn, this game is long.

It entirely depends on how much of the content you've completed in Velen/Novigrad. If you've completed all the main quests in Novigrad, then you'd say that you are around 50% through the game.

This game crashes like crazy since I've come back to it, and now I can't load my saves. Curious if the latest nvidia drivers are garbage.

It entirely depends on how much of the content you've completed in Velen/Novigrad. If you've completed all the main quests in Novigrad, then you'd say that you are around 50% through the game.

yeah, i arrived after doing what I assumed were the main quests in both Velen and Novigrad regarding Ciri's whereabouts. So if that's the case then i'm halfway through woohooooooooo.

Dries

Aight, cool.

so guys, I just arrived in Skellige. Where are the best merchants for crafting diagrams, armour, etc?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Speaking of the base game, which is the point in which I can't go anymore back to clean sidequests and extras left? When I should stop with the main story to backtrack before everything ends?
Or rather, can I keep playing the save file after finishing the story? This will solve things similarly provided few side quests don't fail after the ending. tthx

Nordicus

Aight, cool.

so guys, I just arrived in Skellige. Where are the best merchants for crafting diagrams, armour, etc?
For armor and crafting, the best guys stand right next to the Kaer Trolde castle.

For alchemy stuff, there's a master alchemist at the east side of the main island, go north-ish from the druid camp you visit in main story if you haven't asked another alchemist for his location before.
Speaking of the base game, which is the point in which I can't go anymore back to clean sidequests and extras left? When I should stop with the main story to backtrack before everything ends?
Or rather, can I keep playing the save file after finishing the story? This will solve things similarly provided few side quests don't fail after the ending. tthx
In most of the endings you can still keep playing after the credits, but the last point that triggers the climax and fails a few sidequests related to main story, is a level 28 quest called
Battle Preparations
. Do everything you wanna finish before that, except maybe Hearts of Stone stuff because that's tougher and the rewards will make you really overpowered

There is another earlier point in the game where bunch of quests fail and are lost if not done, but the game will straight up pause and give you a warning about that before you reach the point of no return

Rocket786

So I just started this game about 2 nights ago. This is my first Witcher game and it's a little overwhelming seeing all the menus and the systems involved. I'm moving forward slowly... I'm akin to trying them out as I learn more of the game.

One thing that I absolutely did not care for is the Gwent card game which I ended up playing a round or two of. I know I will never care to learn that system. Is it important to the progress of the game or is it something I can ignore for the large part? I do not enjoy card games and I don't want anything to do with it within the game. Will I be fine GAF?

Nordicus

One thing that I absolutely did not care for is the Gwent card game which I ended up playing a round or two of. I know I will never care to learn that system. Is it important to the progress of the game or is it something I can ignore for the large part? I do not enjoy card games and I don't want anything to do with it within the game. Will I be fine GAF?
You can ignore it completely. It is never required to proceed in main game, although sometimes it gives an alternate solution to quests, and there exist a few Gwent-centric sidequests.

nubbe

Sooon
j4U3mHF.png

CHC

Hearts of Stone is soooooo good so far. The wedding was pretty decent but I am LOVING the Auction House stuff. Man I'm going to be so sad once Blood and Wine is over, this game has just been too great. It's one of the first games in years in which I'm completely happy to boot it up and do nothing other than wander around.

MartyStu

Hearts of Stone is soooooo good so far. The wedding was pretty decent but I am LOVING the Auction House stuff. Man I'm going to be so sad once Blood and Wine is over, this game has just been too great. It's one of the first games in years in which I'm completely happy to boot it up and do nothing other than wander around.

Yeah, HoS is pretty cool.

Just finished Open Sesame.

My ending was a bit...Shakespearean...

Playing on PS4, what's up with the alchemy tab saying I already have something when I try and make more potions even when I have no more particular potions left? I have to go in to my inventory and delete the empty potions to make more, really annoying.

Nordicus

Playing on PS4, what's up with the alchemy tab saying I already have something when I try and make more potions even when I have no more particular potions left? I have to go in to my inventory and delete the empty potions to make more, really annoying.
You don't refill potions by crafting new ones. You meditate and a bottle of hard alcohol gets used to refill all of them. Should have paid more attention to the tutorial pop-ups

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a question about a little thing that's bugging me.

Since Geralt is known as White Wolf and trained in the Wolf School, I'd like to get all the Wolf School Witcher gear. Silly, I know. But I got the paperwork that you read for the quest and now my log says you have to be level 14, which I am as it turns out, and go search Kaer Morhen.

How do I get to Kaer Morhen? I've tried and can't find a way. Do I have to get the main quest to a certain point? So far I've finished
the Bloody Baron's story, Yennefer and Geralt's story on Skellige and I've just started looking for Dandelion in Novigrad

I've got a question about a little thing that's bugging me.

Since Geralt is known as White Wolf and trained in the Wolf School, I'd like to get all the Wolf School Witcher gear. Silly, I know. But I got the paperwork that you read for the quest and now my log says you have to be level 14, which I am as it turns out, and go search Kaer Morhen.

How do I get to Kaer Morhen? I've tried and can't find a way. Do I have to get the main quest to a certain point? So far I've finished
the Bloody Baron's story, Yennefer and Geralt's story on Skellige and I've just started looking for Dandelion in Novigrad

Yeah, it's part of the main quest. You'll get there shortly into act 2.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i'm almost finished the last book and have been wanting to get back into playing Witcher 3. when i first played it i didn't know anything. hadn't played the other games or read the books. it's gonna be great to go through it all again and knowing the locations/characters and picking up on references. i did play again a little after playing the first game and i knew who the gwent characters were.

i'm just not sure if i should get stuck right in straight away or hold off for Blood & Wine. i suppose it doesn't really matter because time i get through the game + HOS it will probably be almost out. i really can't wait to visit Toussaint now having read about it in the books and I hope
Fringilla Vigo
is the romance.

Rocket786

You can ignore it completely. It is never required to proceed in main game, although sometimes it gives an alternate solution to quests, and there exist a few Gwent-centric sidequests.

Great! I was worried I might have to learn the system to enjoy the game and that would just make it well... not enjoyable for me.

Good to know I don't need to deal with the Gwent cards.

You will want to learn Gwent, and then let it consume you. Gwent is life. I don't even like shitty RPG minigames but Gwent is the shit, super simple but so fun.

Denton

Great! I was worried I might have to learn the system to enjoy the game and that would just make it well... not enjoyable for me.

Good to know I don't need to deal with the Gwent cards.

yeah just play a few games. You will understand the rules quickly. It is fun and the tournament quest is awesome, would be a shame to miss that.

Korosenai

So I just tried to load up witcher 3, and I can't load any of my saves.

The newest one says its corrupted, and the other ones won't even load. When I try to load any of them I get an error saying that I'm missing all of the dlc, even though it's all on my Xbox.

Anyone else have this issue?

Probably going to pick this up early next year and finally dive in. I was very excited leading up to release but, one game after another and, here I am, having yet to play it.

That said, I've heard differing opinions on the battle system, inventory, et cetera. Obviously I plan on forming my own opinion, but if I end up finding it bothersome or annoying, is playing on an easier difficult a way to remedy this? Assuming I tire of the battle system and just want to enjoy the world and story, would an easier difficulty make it play more like an action game?

Probably going to pick this up early next year and finally dive in. I was very excited leading up to release but, one game after another and, here I am, having yet to play it.

That said, I've heard differing opinions on the battle system, inventory, et cetera. Obviously I plan on forming my own opinion, but if I end up finding it bothersome or annoying, is playing on an easier difficult a way to remedy this? Assuming I tire of the battle system and just want to enjoy the world and story, would an easier difficulty make it play more like an action game?

You're probably going to end up doing the opposite and increase the difficulty. It gets more enjoyable then.

I'm at the part when
Every ally is in Kaer Morhen, expecting the wild hunt with Ciri
Any tips or recomendations? I'm close to the end?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really loving the little things in this game that all add up to a wonderful experience.

Tonight I sat enthralled listening to Priscilla's beautiful song. After the first chorus I was like, "Hold on! She's singing about Yennefer and Geralt! Cool!"

Such a great little moment. I'm totally into this world, these characters and this story.

I'm at the part when
Every ally is in Kaer Morhen, expecting the wild hunt with Ciri
Any tips or recomendations? I'm close to the end?
Nah, there's nothing out of the ordinary to prepare for compared to other fights in the game. And you're not close to the end. There will still be some open world missions after that. You might be about 3/4ths to the end. Always hard to pick a percentage on that.

Anustart

Hearts of Stone was just fantastic. Really only two quest lines stood out to me as good in the game, Bloody Baron and Hearts of Stone. They hit some I credible highs.

Just wish the other quests in the game were anywhere near these two.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When's the point of no return for doing side quests before the end?

You will know it when you see it. The game is very good at making it obvious.

What I would recommend is that when you reach that point is to check and see which quests failed and then go back and complete those, otherwise you will be fine. Thats the first point of no return.

The second one is the final battle.

Raxus

Hey there, I am playing the game on Death March and this is more or less my first Witcher game. Any tips I can use on gear management? I've made it past the prologue.

Hey there, I am playing the game on Death March and this is more or less my first Witcher game. Any tips I can use on gear management? I've made it past the prologue.

Check vendors for quest items (letters) that give you Witcher gear quests. When you are around the correct level, start doing those, and make the gear to the diagram you find. Use the type (light, medium, heavy) that fits your playstyle, and check for upgrades after several levels. There are several upgrades for each type, so they can last you the entire game. This means you can also just sell all the gear you find, and hoard tons of gold like any good RPG player does.

Raxus

Check vendors for quest items (letters) that give you Witcher gear quests. When you are around the correct level, start doing those, and make the gear to the diagram you find. Use the type (light, medium, heavy) that fits your playstyle, and check for upgrades after several levels. There are several upgrades for each type, so they can last you the entire game. This means you can also just sell all the gear you find, and hoard tons of gold like any good RPG player does.

Thanks. The whole crafting system is overwhelming since I have no idea what to craft and I have so little gold (and make so little money selling stuff) I just sell practically everything I am not using.

Thanks. The whole crafting system is overwhelming since I have no idea what to craft and I have so little gold (and make so little money selling stuff) I just sell practically everything I am not using.

They removed the weight of crafting items, so pretty much just pick everything up, and then forget about it. You also don't need to go out of your way to pick up every flower you see (useful to grab some early though), since you can buy them at various herbalists. You'll also pick up all the monster crafting items you need just from playing and looting. You may need to break some of them down for certain ingredients, but don't worry about it until you actually need it. Crafting does seem overwhelming at first, until you realize all you really need are Witcher gear diagrams (that are easy to track with quests) and then potion/oil/bomb recipes found at various herbalists and as loot in the world.

Early on is the only time money will be tight. Monster contracts can be useful then, but when you start finding vendor trash swords and armor that are worth something, the money will roll in.

Is it strange I like the OG Geralt movement option?

Feels much more "in the world" with movement speed and such.

I dunno, I'm weird -_-

Alpende

It's also helpful not to buy weapons and gear in stores. Just craft everything as it costs way less and Witcher gear is better than anything in the stores.

Sai

I dunno, I'm weird -_-
I'm with you. Wish they'd put the slow walk back in.

Actually, has anybody tried modding it back in on the PC version?

Question regarding the Get Junior main quest in Novigrad... (spoiler tags for people who haven't gotten there yet)

Is it possible to do this without any failed objectives, including those for the Gangs of Novigrad sidequest? If I go into the arena and talk to Igor, I fail an objective for Gangs of Novigrad since I didn't tell the dwarves to attack the arena. But I tried entering the arena with both an axii conversation option and pretending to be Zdenek and talked to Igor, then left and told the dwarves to attack. The game crashes once I get to Igor with the dwarves every time. It's like you're not allowed to do both quests completely. I really don't like seeing failed objectives in completed quests. It feels like I didn't do the quest correctly.

Also, is there a good, updated guide for the game anywhere? I would get the official one, but that doesn't seem like a good idea considering things have changed.

Coreda

I'm with you. Wish they'd put the slow walk back in.

Actually, has anybody tried modding it back in on the PC version?

There was a mod on the Nexus that attempted some slower walk effect, I'm not sure if it altered the analog stick movement to be more pre-1.07-like (which is what I think you're referring to).

Maybe, but I am like you, I like the og movement as well.

#teamog

Eusis

I dunno, I'm weird -_-

Maybe, but I am like you, I like the og movement as well.
I've been giving Alternative a try again, but I think an issue there is that it's sort of a compromise that doesn't really satisfy either way. You don't get that kind of clunky but "immersive" feel for movement, but it's not a good, snappy, gamey control like with Dark Souls or whatever. I probably am better off just sticking with standard since it's not the sort of thing that makes a difference in combat really.

Just finished the bloody baron quest line, question about it.
So do I not get paid if the baron hangs himself?

Also talk about an excellent quest line.

Lyng

Just finished the bloody baron quest line, question about it.
So do I not get paid if the baron hangs himself?

Also talk about an excellent quest line.

Yes your reward is on his desk. Along with his special gwent card if you havent gotten that yet

Yup its an amazing quest line. Storywise probably the best in any game I have played.

Top Bottom