• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Denton

I'm with you. Wish they'd put the slow walk back in.

Actually, has anybody tried modding it back in on the PC version?
I am using a mod, fix for left sick, that puts slow walk back, works well.
It's also a part of immersive cam mod.

JustinBB7

Does it benefit you all to have the DLC installed before doing a first playthrough of the game?

Yea, you get some tiny missions (which are actually really good) and some alt costumes (just decide which one you like better) and some other neat stuff. Install it all before/while you play first time.

oupi

I launch Witcher 3 through Nexus Mod Manager but Steam doesn't recognize I'm playing it. Is this intented and if not, how can I fix it?

157hrs in last recorded and it was a few couple months ago since I played. I just got a new graphics card and can't wait to see the difference between a 670 to a 980ti

HF2014

Been wondering something. I plan to pick this game up at boxing day, watched a lot of videos, ans there seem to be for me something missing from game like Skyrim. Is there tons of caves, dungeons in the game? I watched tons on video and havent seen any, the game seem to be an outside game, not its look bad, but would love to know if i get to see a decent amount in the game.

Been wondering something. I plan to pick this game up at boxing day, watched a lot of videos, ans there seem to be for me something missing from game like Skyrim. Is there tons of caves, dungeons in the game? I watched tons on video and havent seen any, the game seem to be an outside game, not its look bad, but would love to know if i get to see a decent amount in the game.

Definitely not a ton of dungeons. There are a few more elaborate ones (underground ruins) you find during the story, but the side content ones are more like cave structures.

Coreda

There are many small to medium sized caves and a number of underground areas, with one or two dungeons I can think of. One of the side quests (that was originally a main quest) takes place in an enormous underground area early-ish in the game, and there is a large underground area later in the game in Skellige. Most of the game's quests and exploration is above ground though.

Quick question, is it a bad idea to sell my low level relic swords or armor for gold? I'm not missing out on upgrading them to anything else am I? Will I miss out on anything other than scrapping materials?

There's caves but not near as many as Skyrim. With TW3 you'll come across points of interest in the form of question marks which might include bandit camps, monster lairs, places of power, etc.

The thing with TW3 is you want to explore as much as possible because the rewards are very good which you will need on higher difficulties. You will find recipes for potions or oils which give you a valuable edge in combat. For example, basic specter oil gives you +10% attack power versus wraiths, but if you find enhanced specter oil it gives you +25% which is a nice increase.

Quick question, is it a bad idea to sell my low level relic swords or armor for gold? I'm not missing out on upgrading them to anything else am I? Will I miss out on anything other than scrapping materials?
Nah, go ahead and sell them. You're not missing anything. Only upgradable gear are the ones crafted from the Treasure Hunt recipes.

Nordicus

Only witcher set stuff can be upgraded so yes, you may sell relics as you want

HF2014

Thanks all who reply my question. Going to pick it up even if it seem more outside orientated. Boxing day price cant get me wrong!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anyone know a good place to buy Superiour Oil Diagrams?

nowhere. They are in randomized chests.

Yeah, it can suck trying to find them.

However, if you go online (wiki or youtube) you can find spots where they have a higher chance of appearing and/or where other users have reported finding them.

I'm on the Final Preparations quest in Act Three. How much longer have I got to go until the end? Can I feasibly complete the game before Christmas Day? I need to get this shit out of the way by now lol, I've put so many hours into it and I'm at breaking point.

Was the game originally written in English? I can't believe how good the writing is once again, especially if it's actually a translation. It completely blows any non-Obsidian RPG out of the water in that department.

Nordicus

Was the game originally written in English? I can't believe how good the writing is once again, especially if it's actually a translation. It completely blows any non-Obsidian RPG out of the water in that department.
The line's a bit blurry because apparently the Polish and English scripts were more or less written at the same time with a lot of back and forth.

Raxus

I am level 12 now and started doing Novingrad. Progress in the game seems to screech to a halt outside of the main quest lines. I have some contracts I need to clean up anyway. Started getting my cat set as well.

The line's a bit blurry because apparently the Polish and English scripts were more or less written at the same time with a lot of back and forth.

I see. It's way too good for a translation. The predecessors had very decent writing as well. For video game standards anyway.

Flipyap

From an interview with CD Projekt Red's senior writer Jakub Szamałek (originally in Polish):
"(...) because we have foreign quest designers who don't speak a bit of Polish. However our story team works mainly in Polish and then anything we come up with and write gets translated to English by translators working in-house at the company.

Therefore, as far as dialogue is concerned, it's created in Polish from the beginning, later translated to English. However, as far as design work is concerned, in those cases we sometimes switch to English, as you know, whenever we're working with someone for whom Polish isn't their first language, then we have to switch to that language."

"Currently, our story team is composed exclusively of Poles and we work basically exclusively in Polish. There are some occasional bits, sometimes one of us will do something in English, but the great majority of our creative process is done in Polish."

Denton

That said, they have Borys Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz who grew up in US, knows both languages extremely well and adapts the writing into English.

magawolaz

Just got the game (PS4 version), but I already put 15 hours in! I'm really liking it so far, the world is super interesting and the quests are very well designed.

The controls though... why do I have to stay perfectly still to examine/loot stuff?
And the HUD/text size... I can barely read, and I'm playing on a 55" with the big HUD option enabled ._.

It's probably too late to hope for a fix, right?

Just got the game (PS4 version), but I already put 15 hours in! I'm really liking it so far, the world is super interesting and the quests are very well designed.

The controls though... why do I have to stay perfectly still to examine/loot stuff?
And the HUD/text size... I can barely read, and I'm playing on a 55" with the big HUD option enabled ._.

It's probably too late to hope for a fix, right?

Can't help you with the text size (I play on PC), but did you try the alternate movement setting in the options? You may like that better. It's a little tighter, so trying to loot and move inside buildings is easier.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Well, now I have finally played the games and read the books. It's time to replay through the game again. This time I will have a much better idea of the characters/locations and events.

Originally I romanced
Triss
, killed
Keira
, let
Radovid
win, and Ciri
became a Witcher
. Now this time I will do the opposite except for Ciri's fate.

Wvrs

Just finished
the Battle for Kaer Mohren
. I'm staggered at just how immersed into this game world -- no, this entire fantasy universe -- I am; I bought it on a whim back when reviews dropped in May (yes, it's been painfully slow progress) and it's proven to be the best RPG I've ever played, hands down.

Every time I reach a major plot point I'm both enthralled, and saddened that I'm drawing closer to the end of the game. Glad I have DLC and the books (nearly at the end of The Sword of Destiny) to keep me sated.

There's not really been much in this game so far that hasn't been set up by the first two books, save for Ciri's story, which I believe is the subject of the third book. Is it worth going back and playing TW1 and TW2 after I'm done?

A funny thing about going into the series blind is
at first I had no clue who anyone was, and eventually, as the game naturally leads you to, my Geralt romanced Triss. Only then did I read some of the books, play further into the game and realise I found Geralt & Yen to be the better suited couple, so had him (re?)romance Yen. Then after reading online I've realised that now I've fucked it up for my Geralt, and he's doomed to a life of unfulfilling one-night-stands.
Wish I could go back and change it, but in the face of a 100+ hour game, that's impossible.

DarkFlame

Banned
Holy shit, still in act one and now I'm over 50 hours into this thing.

Please tell me the other acts are much shorter lol

Plus the 10 hours expansion after the main game...don't tell me you ain't planning on buying it?

By the way,i'm interested in reading the books,do they sell any booksets in English translation?Does anyone suggest on where to buy them or what editions should i pick up etc.

why the hell is sword durability so low

i've gone through a silver sword and a replacement silver sword throughout a single dungeon

does it get better as the game goes on?

also playing on ps4, alternate movement or default? what's the difference?

also am i missing something or can you meditate and regain potions outside of every fight even when enemies are near

I'm trying to give this game a fair shake but the combat is as bad as I was led to believe, a shame. For reference I'm playing through New Vegas at the same time and that game's combat is much more enjoyable which is pathetic really.

Kwixotik

My fiancee is about to quit playing pretty far in. She says she started a quest with Triss about a month ago in game time that apparently she shouldn't have started yet.
She thinks this will have major consequences because some guy wants to kill her friends and now she can't stop him or something like that.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's hard to be more detailed as I haven't played the game yet myself. How significant are the ramifications?

I never played any the witcher games neither i read the books.
There is a sale on steam so i hesitate...
My PC can run at low AC Unity and AC Syndicate , do you think it will work?

magawolaz

Can't help you with the text size (I play on PC), but did you try the alternate movement setting in the options? You may like that better. It's a little tighter, so trying to loot and move inside buildings is easier.
Thanks, already did that but it's still a pain to loot stuff. Oh well, no big deal, I'm getting used to it

Karl Hawk

Banned
My fiancee is about to quit playing pretty far in. She says she started a quest with Triss about a month ago in game time that apparently she shouldn't have started yet.
She thinks this will have major consequences because some guy wants to kill her friends and now she can't stop him or something like that.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's hard to be more detailed as I haven't played the game yet myself. How significant are the ramifications?

Can you be specific about which Triss quest she's playing? Is it
A Matter of Life or Death or Now or Never?

CD_PROJEKT_RED_Christmas_Card_2015_800x800_EN.gif

Karl Hawk

Banned
Not sure about the name, but it's something about
a masquerade party. She's worried because she needs Triss to assassinate someone

A Matter of Life and Death? Don't worry about it. Triss is not involved in Radovid's assassination (If that's what she means) and the only that gonna take effect is whether to pursue the romance during the scene whether you choose to kiss her (You can reject the kiss, of course). If she wants to have Triss to be a permanent romance partner for Geralt, she should elect to let Triss stay at the end of another quest called Now or Never. Otherwise, she'll be away for a while (She'll be back later on, though).

I wouldn't advise to pursue both Yennefer and Triss romances, though.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
has the combat been changed? i played this game for well over 100 hours but having gone back to it something feels different. feels more complex which isn't a bad thing but i'm having to relearn it.

Heh, weird, I can't get Geralt's hair to change during this NG+ playthrough. Stays the default no matter what option I pick. Beard can change, though.

Finished Keira's sub plot and overall I enjoyed it but I was confused at the end by the two choices. Without spoiling anything one was highlighted in orange and clearly seemed the best choice and the other was white and you had no real reason to pick it... why weren't they both the same color text? It might not have been as blatant ad something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3 but it was still odd.

Also spoilers for that same quest line
I played a bit of 1 and all of 2 and I see no reason to care about Yennefer or Triss. If I was supposed to feel guilty or something for boning Keira I didn't?

Karl Hawk

Banned
Finished Keira's sub plot and overall I enjoyed it but I was confused at the end by the two choices. Without spoiling anything one was highlighted in orange and clearly seemed the best choice and the other was white and you had no real reason to pick it... why weren't they both the same color text? It might not have been as blatant ad something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3 but it was still odd.

Also spoilers for that same quest line
I played a bit of 1 and all of 2 and I see no reason to care about Yennefer or Triss. If I was supposed to feel guilty or something for boning Keira I didn't?

White dialog choices just has Geralt pressing someone for information (Not mandatory, of course), while yellow dialog choices indicates something that Geralt says that advances the conversation forward.

And Keira is supposed to be a fling. So you can get away with it and still romance Yennefer or Triss

White dialog choices just has Geralt pressing someone for information (Not mandatory, of course), while yellow dialog choices indicates something that Geralt says that advances the conversation forward.

And Keira is supposed to be a fling. So you can get away with it and still romance Yennefer or Triss
Yeah I know but it seemed for that choice the white one ended the conversation and was only good if you wanted something bad to happen to her instead of deciding which was the better option yourself. And I know Keira is supposed to be a side fling but I can't imagine anyone choosing the choice where he says he has someone else in mind unless they also read the books or something. They just kinda threw Yennefer in after 2 games and told me I'm expected to care about her. Idk. Just a minor gripe, I have no problem being a Witcher gigolo.

Edit: also should I install all the free dlc now or will it mess up the balance of the game?

Top Bottom