• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

ColdPizza

Banned
Is the only way I can get Superior Oils for my weapons from random chests all around Skellige's waters?

I finished the main game and every contract and aide quest and am now starting HoS. I have about 4-5 oils I still need Superior versions of.

Not excited to hit all 50 of those Smuggler's Caches.

What left do you need?

Stick with it...the game really comes into its own.

Anyway, anyone else on PS4 having problem with the Wolf Witcher gear set? Specifically
, can't open the chest at the broken down tower at Kaer Morhen and can't activate the crystal/portal on the wall with Aard, this apparently is a known bug and was supposed to be fixed in 1.12 but I'm up to date and still can't open the chest

I didn't have that problem, and I did it after 1.12 as well. Did you try reloading the save game, that should fix it (hopefully).

In your case, did you
locate the crystal on the outside left wall of the tower? You have to pick up and place the crystal before you can activate it with Aard.

The only bug that still needs to be fixed is that when you get 5/6 diagrams of a set, the last one will sometimes automatically complete and you'll have to find the last piece of gear on your own. I had that happen to me for the mastercraftet wolven steel sword and mastercrafted feline silver sword.

Though, (seriously, don't click on this unless you're really curious)
I hear there's a way to work it so you can have a threesome with both Yen and Triss

Well, not exactly a
threesome, just the premise of one. It's hilarious what happens to Geralt if he tries to profess his love for both Yen and Triss at the same time

The greater mutagens (especially red) are so overpowered. I love it.

I use greater reds in all 4 slots. +160% so good.

ColdPizza

Banned
I didn't have that problem, and I did it after 1.12 as well. Did you try reloading the save game, that should fix it (hopefully).

In your case, did you
locate the crystal on the outside left wall of the tower? You have to pick up and place the crystal before you can activate it with Aard.

The only bug that still needs to be fixed is that when you get 5/6 diagrams of a set, the last one will sometimes automatically complete and you'll have to find the last piece of gear on your own. I had that happen to me for the mastercraftet wolven steel sword and mastercrafted feline silver sword.

The crystal was already in the portal so there was nothing for me to pick up. And aard does nothing to it.

Edit: watched a video of this. Chest won't open and Witcher senses don't work on the portals.

X-Frame

I hit all of the smugglers caches (and every single POI in the game) and still need 4 superior oil versions after finishing the game. Was hoping I'd get at least one in Hearts of Stone, but nope, not even one.

Damn, makes me wonder if it'll be worth my time. I hit about 6-7 of them last night and got some cool stuff but nothing crazy. After the 5th one I was sick of trying to crossbow Sirens underwater.

I had all but 1 superior formulas before getting the smugglers caches

Wow, you had good luck!

What left do you need?

Superior Cursed Oil, Superior Specter Oil, Superior Hybrid Oil, Superior Draconid Oil, Superior Relic Oil.

ColdPizza

Banned
Damn, makes me wonder if it'll be worth my time. I hit about 6-7 of them last night and got some cool stuff but nothing crazy. After the 5th one I was sick of trying to crossbow Sirens underwater.

Wow, you had good luck!

Superior Cursed Oil, Superior Specter Oil, Superior Hybrid Oil, Superior Draconid Oil, Superior Relic Oil.

I JUST found a superior cursed on Fykes Isle in a random crate outside of the tower within the circle thing. Try here.

https://youtu.be/aior8jfINtI?t=2m2s

so good, great crescendo, wolf and swallow has to be one of my favourite tracks

psych-cry.gif

It's a very good moment.

Where can I get me some of that Lesser Red Mutagen? The fiend below Crookbag Bog only dropped one and has ceased to respawn. Don't really know where else to get them as I only randomly stumble upon them. Found them on an Ekimmara yesterday but that was a one time contract.

Where can I get me some of that Lesser Red Mutagen? The fiend below Crookbag Bog only dropped one and has ceased to respawn. Don't really know where else to get them as I only randomly stumble upon them. Found them on an Ekimmara yesterday but that was a one time contract.

Arachas, nekker warriors, fiends, drowners, ghouls/alghouls etc all drop lesser red mutagens.

Ok so I tried that alternative movement option you guys we're recommending and I'm not really sure what changed. I'm still playing the game here and there but man it's really tough. I love everything about the game but the combat and controls. Hopefully it clicks soon.

BumRush

Go south from redgill on ard skellige, down the beach path. 5 black drowners give you either a red, blue or green and something like 20 XP per drowner.

Ok so I tried that alternative movement option you guys we're recommending and I'm not really sure what changed. I'm still playing the game here and there but man it's really tough. I love everything about the game but the combat and controls. Hopefully it clicks soon.
I've never bothered with the alternative movement: took me 5 minutes to get used to the regular movement and I never looked back. It sucks in tight spaces but it's no biggie. It's only on cliff edges that you have to be super careful.

For combat, in the earlier stages your options are a little limited because you may not have access to many skills/equipment. I'm no combat guru, but eventually there are multiple things you should be considering:
  • Beastiary: do you know what you're facing, and what its weaknesses are?
  • Oils: do you have the correct one applied to the correct blade for the enemy you're facing, or about to face?
  • Bombs: these are your most effective ranged attack and have various effects. Some enemies are extremely weak to certain bomb types.
  • Crossbow: useful for drawing agro, knocking some enemies out of the sky, or killing things underwater.
  • Parry: this is what the game calls simple blocks. Mostly used against human enemies, rarely useful against monsters.
  • Counterattack: this is when you time your block just before an enemy is about to hit you. Gerald will automatically follow the block with a move that stuns the enemy (usually a kick). Again, this is reserved almost solely for human attacks, not monsters.
  • Dodge: this is when Geralt dies a short hop in the direction you indicate. This doesn't consume any stamina so is your bread and butter in monster fights. Proper timing of dodges during monster fights is probably the most important skill you'll need to learn in Witcher 3 combat, and will come down to knowing the monster attack patterns, reading them, and then timing the dodge. It doesn't move you very far, so if you don't nail the timing and direction then it won't get you out of harm's way.
  • Roll: this move consumes stamina. It allows you to separate yourself from the enemy by a reasonable distance, so it's the safest option during monster fights, but the stamina consumption is a huge drawback since that curtails your ability to cast signs during combat (something that you'll almost always want to be doing). Consider this a crutch rather than a tactic: it's usually an admission of failure! Some enemies/attacks require it to be avoided, but they're few and far between (mostly boss-type battles). If you're good at dodging then rolling is hardly ever required.
  • Sword attacks: pretty self explanatory. Can't be cancelled so don't get greedy: when in doubt, less is more.
  • Potions/decoctions: this is where things can get pretty funky. Everyone should be using basic potions (for healing, stamina regen, damage boosts, etc) and the occasional decoction, but if you invest a little bit in these skills then you can start thinking more and more about interesting and creative ways to apply decoction effects to great advantage during combat. Blood toxicity is what limits your ability to go crazy but investing in alchemy will give you more and more room to play in that respect. I haven't gone full alchemy build myself but it's a very unique and freeform option.
  • Signs: whether you upgrade them or not, you'll still be wanting to use them throughout the game. Consumes stamina to cast, although later on there's a way to cast them via adrenalin points if you want (using a certain type of build). They all have their uses and everyone seems to have a favourite.

Going into Signs a bit deeper (in no particular order):
  • Quen: a defensive shield, and the most important sign. Always have Quen active during fights. Later you an also use it for healing, and I personally find that ability to be crucial as well (but it's optional).
  • Axii: used for certain dialogue options if upgraded enough. Those options give you good XP so I highly recommend pursuing those upgrades. Generally used to stun enemies (some enemy types are very susceptible), but can be upgraded to turn enemies into allies as well which can be very useful sometimes.
  • Aard: knock back (force push). Can knock some enemies on their backs opening up instant finishers, good for crowd control, good for fast enemies, good for shield guys, best way to knock flying creatures out of the air. Even if you never upgrade it you'll be using it a lot.
  • Yrden: a magical defensive circle. You'll be using this every time you fight spectral enemies, but it's slowdown effect can be useful against all enemies if you invest in this sign. I tend to use it only against spectral enemies but others use it against everything.
  • Igni: fire sign. Some enemies are incredibly weak to it, and burning damage can be OP in some situations. Also it looks really cool. I only use it against enemies who are weak to it, but again if you invest in it then it can do some crazy damage.

Anyway, those are your combat options. If you have t explored them all (and most new players haven't, especially if coming directly from games which didn't offer equivalents) then you need to, because otherwise you're fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

zer0das

Banned
Meh, frustrating. I love the fuck out of this game but there are so many quirks/bugs in it.

I checked if they fixed it on PC, and apparently it does work now. So hopefully they fix that quest on PS4 soon? I think the bugs are slightly different from PS4 to PC, because I couldn't pick up the crystal on the side wall, but the chest one was fine.

Edit: Man, I'm still finding new quests in Skellige 150+ hours in... ran into a broken siege engine in the middle of nowhere, then just north of that there's an altar. It's on some really off beaten path, and there's nothing major on either side of where the road leads, so it is easy to miss.

Something is fucked up with fighting wraiths.
I'm level 24,and I'm doing the
lighthouse
quest.
The wraiths in this quest are level 15, but I just can't defeat them. They hit hard despite the level difference, and avoiding them is hard. No matter where how much I'm using rolls and evades, they reach me again very quickly. I can't even use quen, because by the time I finish casting it, they already attack and break it. Any tips for fighting them?
(I somehow managed in the
bloody baron
quest,but it was a nightmare there too)

I'm playing at death march,but the wraiths enemy that is really difficult to fight.

Nordicus

Something is fucked up with fighting wraiths.
I'm level 24,and I'm doing the
lighthouse
quest.
The wraiths in this quest are level 15, but I just can't defeat them. They hit hard despite the level difference, and avoiding them is hard. No matter where how much I'm using rolls and evades, they reach me again very quickly. I can't even use quen, because by the time I finish casting it, they already attack and break it. Any tips for fighting them?
(I somehow managed in the
bloody baron
quest,but it was a nightmare there too)

I'm playing at death march,but the wraiths enemy that is really difficult to fight.
Personally, the only times I've ever had issues with wraiths are the first times I fought the Jenny of the Woods, and any wraith groups wayyyy higher level than me

The thing with wraiths is that
1) they're generally pretty squishy
2) their standard melee attack is easily parriable
3) wraiths are not very mobile at all when they're not using the teleport combo
4) the teleport combo has really noticeable sound cue almost a second in advance

So what you do is, cast Yrden and wait inside it. Then wait for the teleport combo and dodge out of it, hit 2-3 times, bait an attack so you can parry it for pretty significant counterattack damage, then finish the wraith off.

If you hear the teleport attack from offscreen, stop attacking and wait for the teleporting wraith to appear so you can dodge again. You're probably doing something wrong if it feels like you just can't escape from the wraiths' offensive, because they usually teleport to a spot that's comfortably dodged by your roll since the combo has no tracking aside from the initial direction, and the combo takes rather long time to finish so you have more than enough time to hop back in and punish.

Especially in Yrden. In fact, it pays to go complete ham in Yrden sometimes because regular wraiths don't have that many defensive moves and generally will not use teleport combo as much when they're in melee range

Tommy DJ

Nordicus' suggestion is basically what I did. Wraiths hit hard but they're incredibly easy enemies once you understand how they work because Yrden circle or turret -> wait for them to teleport behind you -> wait for their three hit combo to end or attempt to parry it -> smack wraith around with silver sword three times while they're under the effect of Yrden is the solution for every single wraith in the game. The enemy type actually is pretty much incapable of anything else so that's all Geralt has to remember when fighting enemies from beyond.

I don't think any other wraith has the same gimmick Jenny of the Woods does though that fight is basically trivialized into any rock standard wraith fight with the secondary Yrden sign (the turret).

ColdPizza

Banned
Spectre oil + yrden. Stand in the circle. Attack. When then disappear assume they will attack your back. Roll forward and turn around and lure them back into the circle.

Edit: Jenny in the Woods is a noon wraith so the fight is different. Yrden is absolutely a requirement of doing ANY damage to her as where on a night wraith you can damage them even without yrden. Lure her in, do 3 fast attacks and roll away to lure her back into the circle. Occasionally level 1 wraiths will spawn. You can one hit kill these but do it fast because while they are up a noon wraith will regen their health. After they're dead the normal fight continues.

X-Frame

Shiiit .. apparently the New Moon armor in the HoS expansion is pretty good. I ended up selling my Trousers I believe, but I have the other 3 pieces.

I assume I won't find those pieces randomly again? I can't remember where I sold it and checked my popular places to sell and didn't see it.

Ein Bear

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. I've been holding off playing this until I've had the free time to do it properly and have a couple of weeks off work coming up that I want to spend binge playing Witcher 3.

Now that the dust has settled, which of the two console versions should I pick up? From what I understand, the various patches along the way have had a lot of varying effects on performance for both systems.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. I've been holding off playing this until I've had the free time to do it properly and have a couple of weeks off work coming up that I want to spend binge playing Witcher 3.

Now that the dust has settled, which of the two console versions should I pick up? From what I understand, the various patches along the way have had a lot of varying effects on performance for both systems.

I play on ps4. No major complaints. The game has bugs but it's fun and gorgeous. I don't notice any frame rate slow downs. In game inventory menu can get sluggish at times. Load times are a bit long for my tastes but they're loading in HUGE worlds.

Hope that helps.

So I finished the main quest at Skellige and man I cant stand Yen. Shes really arrogant, selfish and overly sarcastic. Really bitchy for no reason at times. Even Geralt pointed it out. Dont know what he sees in her but I accidentally made them have sex and I hope that doesnt mess up my plans to hook him and Triss up. I also dont trust her and feel like she's up to something.

That was a nice bit of Ciri fan service towards the ending too. I also didnt think Ciri would have been
interested in Skjall at all and it seemed like they almost fucked in the stables before the Wild Hunt decided to cockblock.
I feel bad for
Skjall
, seemed like a nice guy but he lost everything thanks to circumstances.

The view from Kaer Trolde is incredible. Also, whats the difference between Ard Skellig and Skellige? People use them interchangeably.

It will affect some stuff down the road on a secondary level but nothing major...

Though, (seriously, don't click on this unless you're really curious)
I hear there's a way to work it so you can have a threesome with both Yen and Triss

Oh awesome lol.
Didnt Mass Effect do something similar?

The romance choice doesn't matter at all. You'll spend MUCH more time with Yennefer regardless of your choice (and she'll always treat you like garbage because Yens gonna Yen) while Triss basically disappears from the game after her personal quest, only making a couple short cameo appearances later.

Skellige wasn't in the games before. This game's reunions and references depend more on material from the books, the first two games don't factor into it nearly as much.

Ah gotcha. I guess Geralt is the type that likes being treated like trash. I wish we spent more time with Triss. I want to Aard Yen off a cliff sometimes.

Beat it couple days ago. I got the bad ending.

The choice system in this game blows. "Oh, you didn't
have a snowball fight or let Ciri trash some place. Guess what? SHE DEAD AND GERALT ENDS UP ALONE."

All the good things I did and that's what I get? Christ. It appears the game runs on a bonkers karma system and I must've made one too many "negative" choices. Go fuck yourself, game.

Lender

Oh awesome lol.
Didnt Mass Effect do something similar?

Believe me, you don't want that. ;)

I finally delved into HoS after 200+ hours. Didn't really care for Shani in the first game, but she's pretty cool in here though.

have a snowball fight or let Ciri trash some place. Guess what? SHE DEAD AND GERALT ENDS UP ALONE."

All the good things I did and that's what I get? Christ. It appears the game runs on a bonkers karma system and I must've made one too many "negative" choices. Go fuck yourself, game.

The real question is: why didn't you
do the snowball fight? :p It's one of the sweetest parts of the game

MartyStu

The endings are based entirely on how confident
you made Ciri feel.

The game works hard to have you invest in Geralt's
feelings for her.

Act 2 and beyond is one large test.

Perhaps it does not bother me because I did not get the bad ending, but I completely respect this,

I finished the game earlier and got the bad ending :(

I chose to
drink Lambert's brew, calm her down and go to the meeting
. I didn't think seemingly insignificant choices would result in this which bummed me out. I need to go back and fix this!

I've started a new game on Death March for the moment though. I have died quite a few times!

I finished the game earlier and got the bad ending :(

I chose to
drink Lambert's brew, calm her down and go to the meeting
. I didn't think seemingly insignificant choices would result in this which bummed me out. I need to go back and fix this!

I've started a new game on Death March for the moment though. I have died quite a few times!

Why? Embrace your decision making.

Berto

The view from Kaer Trolde is incredible. Also, whats the difference between Ard Skellig and Skellige? People use them interchangeably.
Ard Skellig is the capital of Skellig. It's like Panama city is the capital of Panama or Mexico City the capital of Mexico.

Haha wow Geralt is pissed. Went to get uma from the sergeant and hes just bossing people around and threatening them left and right. Love it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished every quest in vanilla + Hearts of Stone on my second playthrough (Death March). I haven't beaten the final mission though since I'm waiting for Blood and Wine, so I haven't gotten the Death March trophy yet. I got a pang of sadness when I realized there were no more quests for me to do haha. Guess I've got a few months of waiting before the next DLC drops.

So I haven't played the Witcher in a while and after the latest update the game disk can't be read. :( I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Also restarted my PS4 but the game still isn't working. My PS4 sounds like it begins to read the disk and then stops, rinse repeat.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just when I think I've done every quest possible just walking down an unfamiliar trail pops one up. I've done hundreds of these. I love this game.

sora87

Oh my god, this wraith painting boss is absolute horseshit. The only time in the entire game something's stopped my progressing.

MartyStu

Oh my god, this wraith painting boss is absolute horseshit. The only time in the entire game something's stopped my progressing.

If you have not been parrying until now, you need to learn how to.

I was on the same boat, then just sucked it up and learned to parry.

sora87

If you have not been parrying until now, you need to learn how to.

I was on the same boat, then just sucked it up and learned to parry.

It was how much she was healing before I got to a painting to hit it that was messing me up, seemed wayyyyy too much

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I wrecked her in seconds on Death March by tossing a Moon Dust bomb (I have the cluster bomb upgrade, so the entire combat area had the Moon Dust) and just stunlocking her with quick attacks. Hit the painting really quickly when she activates it.

sora87

I've hardly used bombs in combat I must admit.
I dropped the difficulty for the sake of progress anyway heh

This
painted world
section is really good

Hey all I re-bought the game on steam to push my new PC. The only issue I'm running into is that every ~15 minutes or so the game's framerate just dies for about five seconds then everything returns to normal. Not game breaking but pretty damn annoying. I've been using the tweaks found here: cdprojektred forums to try and get it to stop dropping frames but nothing has worked so far. I'm averaging between 55- 59 fps on a mixture of high and ultra settings at 1080p. I'm running a (currently stock) 6600k and an OC'd r9 390. Any tips? Close all background programs like chrome?

ColdPizza

Banned
Hey all I re-bought the game on steam to push my new PC. The only issue I'm running into is that every ~15 minutes or so the game's framerate just dies for about five seconds then everything returns to normal. Not game breaking but pretty damn annoying. I've been using the tweaks found here: cdprojektred forums to try and get it to stop dropping frames but nothing has worked so far. I'm averaging between 55- 59 fps on a mixture of high and ultra settings at 1080p. I'm running a (currently stock) 6600k and an OC'd r9 390. Any tips? Close all background programs like chrome?

Yah. Start eliminating potential bottle necks one thing at a time and re-test to narrow it down. Make sure there's no virus scans going on while playing.

Flipyap

So I finished the main quest at Skellige and man I cant stand Yen. Shes really arrogant, selfish and overly sarcastic. Really bitchy for no reason at times. Even Geralt pointed it out. Dont know what he sees in her but I accidentally made them have sex and I hope that doesnt mess up my plans to hook him and Triss up. I also dont trust her and feel like she's up to something.
Believe me, no one knows what he sees in her. Other characters often comment on the improbability of that pairing and Ciri might be the only character who isn't weirded out by that relationship, at least since she learned to tolerate Yennefer and stopped hating her.
He's hopelessly in love, it's not supposed to make sense (but it sure does not make roleplaying him any easier).

Yah. Start eliminating potential bottle necks one thing at a time and re-test to narrow it down. Make sure there's no virus scans going on while playing.

Okay I'll give that a go, thanks. Its the only game where that's happening. Its somewhat strange seeing how smooth it runs then it momentarily dies.

ColdPizza

Banned
Fuck.

I got the bad ending. Depressing as fuck.

So should I do NG+ before moving to HoS?

Do I get to set the difficulty level on the expansion? I beat the game on death march but wouldn't mind doing NG+ on normal so I can redo some story choices.

edit: will probably just find a save from before isles of mists and drop the difficulty and play from there if I want to see the other endings.

MartyStu

Believe me, no one knows what he sees in her. Other characters often comment on the improbability of that pairing and Ciri might be the only character who isn't weirded out by that relationship, at least since she learned to tolerate Yennefer and stopped hating her.
He's hopelessly in love, it's not supposed to make sense (but it sure does not make roleplaying him any easier).

No one in either the books or the games get it, but I think I do.

Geralt likes how much she challenges him, and he is very much attracted to her intelligence.

Top Bottom