• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Ozorov

Tomorrow will be the first time I'll be playing a Witcher-game. Is there any things that are good to know before starting etc etc? Or things that are easy to miss that are important.

Lunar15

Any reason why?

Personally, I found it kind of distracting and overwhelming. I found myself looking at the minimap more than I was the environment.

It's a personal thing, though. Definitely try it and see if it fits your style or not. Other than that, do remember that there's an "alternative movement" option in the gameplay menu that changes how quickly Geralt turns. If you're not feeling his movement, try that out.

Ozorov

Personally, I found it kind of distracting and overwhelming. I found myself looking at the minimap more than I was the environment.

It's a personal thing, though. Definitely try it and see if it fits your style or not. Other than that, do remember that there's an "alternative movement" option in the gameplay menu that changes how quickly Geralt turns. If you're not feeling his movement, try that out.

Alright, thank you! :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't turn off the dotted line on the minimap since you'll probably get very lost very quickly. I do agree that I tend to look at my minimap more than I'd like, but at least I don't get lost.

BumRush

Got the "good" ending...loved it. Incredible game. As a husband, father, full time employee it took forever but it was an awesome ride. Probably going to take a break from it before I give the DLC a shot but I'm extremely happy I stuck with it. Thanks GAF.

Ultimadrago

Got the "good" ending...loved it. Incredible game. As a husband, father, full time employee it took forever but it was an awesome ride. Probably going to take a break from it before I give the DLC a shot but I'm extremely happy I stuck with it. Thanks GAF.

Glad you enjoyed it! Picking away at a game with such a large amount of unique content isn't always easy at times. I don't take it lightly when giving you kudos for seeing it through.

Look forward to Hearts of Stone as well when you can pick it back up! One one my favorite gaming experiences last year.

BumRush

Glad you enjoyed it! Picking away at a game with such a large amount of unique content isn't always easy at times. I don't take it lightly when giving you kudos for seeing it through.

Look forward to Hearts of Stone as well when you can pick it back up! One one my favorite gaming experiences last year.

Thanks bud. That was the most frustrating thing about it - the overwhelming nature of it (which is also one of its biggest strengths) - so I tried to make sure I'd play only if I had 2 hours or more in a sitting. Otherwise you feel like you've accomplished nothing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wouldn't turn off the dotted line on the minimap since you'll probably get very lost very quickly. I do agree that I tend to look at my minimap more than I'd like, but at least I don't get lost.
Game was much better with minimap and POIs toggled off. I just wish there was a minimalist compass you could turn on.

Costia

So how the hell do i acquire bombs, been playing for about 30 hrs and only had enough ingredients to make 2 bombs??

Maybe I don't understand your question, but it works like potions do.
You get 2 bombs of each type (more if you have the alchemy ability) and the replenish when you meditate using alcohol.
I am ~15 hours in and have 8 types of bombs. I got most of the recipes from alchemy vendors and just roamed around to find most of the herbs. A lot of the ingredients are also available at herbalists/alchemists, so I just bough a few of them.
What ingredients are you missing?

I started a new play through on death march and I've been having fun but holy crap the quest going through the cave with Keira Metz is terrible. The combat system is not made for close quarters and whoever made the dumb poison gas/igni mechanic is an awful human being. I've died more here than anywhere else.

ColdPizza

Banned
I started a new play through on death march and I've been having fun but holy crap the quest going through the cave with Keira Metz is terrible. The combat system is not made for close quarters and whoever made the dumb poison gas/igni mechanic is an awful human being. I've died more here than anywhere else.

The Lubberkin/Botchling thing I must have done 100 times on Death March before I luckily found a checkpoint outside of there so I could level up more.

Death March becomes meaningless basically after level 8+...wish there were harder fights or more dynamic fights. It became repetitive after awhile.

I'm actually looking forward to a ng+ plus playthrough on normal so I can get the Full Crew trophy.

I started playing the Witcher for the first time about a month ago now and I started out on death march. The cave with Keira is where I dropped to broken bones. I was spending more time loading than playing and I almost quit the game completely. Glad I dropped the difficulty, because I'm having a great time with the game.

I just fought I Imlerith on Death March. This is my first playthrough. Holy shit that was intense.

I'm actually surprised I made it this far. There were so many times I wanted to drop the difficulty, but I am walking that path.

Matush

So I want to collect all Gwent cards. Can someone post the ones that are missable (in some sort of guide/list)? Thanks.

Dineren

Banned
I've been wondering about the Keira Metz quest line.
How do you keep her alive, but don't let her to go Radovid? I tried to choose the less severe options, while insisting she not go to him and we ended up fighting to the death. I later read that you could send her to Kaer Morhen somehow, but I can't really recall anything I could have done differently aside from letting her go.

So, i´ve been replaying this game over the last 2 months. Doing the DLC right now (This time before finishing the main quest, cause why not) and noticed the best thing ever.

Those Fallen Knights camps, and the Knight are great.
WITNESS ME BROTHER! I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN! Why didn´t i know about this.

Costia

The combat system is really frustrating. Geralt acts very differently when the game thinks he is in combat vs when it thinks he isn't.
So when archer attacks from far away the game thinks he's not in combat so I can't roll or dodge, he jumps instead.
On the other hand when I am just running through an area and there is a monster (dog/wolf etc..) nearby, he suddenly forgets how to run and keeps turning toward the monster. He also forgets how to climb ladders, so on one occasion i couldn't get out of a room until some flying monster that was outside the house decided to fly away.

ColdPizza

Banned
The combat system is really frustrating. Geralt acts very differently when the game thinks he is in combat vs when it thinks he isn't.
So when archer attacks from far away the game thinks he's not in combat so I can't roll or dodge, he jumps instead.

Draw one of your swords immediately to enter combat mode in this instance.

Lender

I've been wondering about the Keira Metz quest line.
How do you keep her alive, but don't let her to go Radovid? I tried to choose the less severe options, while insisting she not go to him and we ended up fighting to the death. I later read that you could send her to Kaer Morhen somehow, but I can't really recall anything I could have done differently aside from letting her go.

Just choose the right piece of dialogue and you'll be able to
send her to Kaer Morhen

Do i have to beat every merchant in order to get every gwent card?

No, but try to play every merchant and win a card off them until the next one stops giving you cards on winning. When that happens, you'll just need to play the ones in the quest line and buy the remaining ones from vendors.

There are missable cards (from quests) so check a guide before you do so.

Flipyap

Those Fallen Knights camps, and the Knight are great.
WITNESS ME BROTHER! I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN! Why didn´t i know about this.
That shit was the absolute worst. CD Projekt Red was always sloppy with their use of random memes and pop culture references (in a literary adaptation, no less), and now it looks like they've turned it into a race to see which studio would be the first to ship a game featuring instantly dated memes. They went full Gearbox.

Evolved1

On the other hand when I am just running through an area and there is a monster (dog/wolf etc..) nearby, he suddenly forgets how to run and keeps turning toward the monster. He also forgets how to climb ladders, so on one occasion i couldn't get out of a room until some flying monster that was outside the house decided to fly away.
This contextual stuff, they are really bad at it. Instead of just letting the player decide for themselves to ready for a fight, they try and play for you, and in every instance they fuck it up. Same with Roach. They want so badly to take the camera away from you, to the point of frustration. Hey Dev, I was looking over there... like on purpose. Thanks for yanking the camera away. Just like entering a building suddenly they want to change the controls to "help" you. It's always for the worse. Enter a building, switch control scheme to "ocean liner". Thanks guys, good show. Very helpful.

Hardcore RPG with lots of systems to juggle, but devs don't trust me with the camera or the reins to my horse. Thanks. Hey devs... he's shooting me with arrows. He's literally shooting me with arrows, can I enter combat stance please? It would be helpful, thanks.

TW3 is pretty neat but they are a low tier dev with regard to camera and control.

Dineren

Banned
Just choose the right piece of dialogue and you'll be able to
send her to Kaer Morhen

Guess I must have just completely missed it. I don't remember seeing anything that made me think I could do that.
It escalated into a fight really quickly.

Coreda

Hey Dev, I was looking over there... like on purpose. Thanks for yanking the camera away. Just like entering a building suddenly they want to change the controls to "help" you. It's always for the worse. Enter a building, switch control scheme to "ocean liner". Thanks guys, good show. Very helpful.

MGSV does the same thing for the horse camera IIRC, thankfully there's a mod for TW3 that restores full camera control while on horseback.

The slower indoor walking pace I actually appreciated though in small areas, at least on PC where there isn't analog control, as it's a more confined space and camera angle.

Evolved1

MGSV does the same thing for the horse camera IIRC, thankfully there's a mod for TW3 that restores full camera control while on horseback.

The slower indoor walking pace I actually appreciated though in small areas, at least on PC where there isn't analog control, as it's a more confined space and camera angle.
Actually it's not quite as bad. TW3 pulls the camera almost immediately. MGSV gives you a little more room to breath. You can trot around taking in the scenery without wrestling the camera every instant. It's when you gallop that MGSV will recenter it, if you let it.

I prefer Roach and think it's the better of the two aesthetically, but the camera bothers me so much I'm forced to give MGSV the final nod.

Wish that mod was on PS4.

Only time I had problems with the camera was during the fist fights, especially against multiple opponents.

Pro-tip for general combat and boss fights: Don't use the lock-on camera, it only makes things harder.

Flipyap

Pro-tip for general combat and boss fights: Don't use the lock-on camera, it only makes things harder.
You might want to link to the mod that makes this possible, because there's no way to deactivate lock-on during boss fights.

Pro-tip for console players: remember to floss your teeth (sorry, there's nothing that can be done about the combat)

Almyn

Just reached Skellige. I was not expecting to hear Northern Ireland accents in the game. I was quite surprised. Lol

magawolaz

Man, this game is good. It's sucking all my life but I don't care lol.

This is probably the dumbest question about Gwent, but heh: do you have to buy cards/build a deck first? Because I understand the basics and can win the first round, but then I run out of cards very quickly.

The only side quests I have now are Gwent-related, I wouldn't mind clearing some stuff.

Evolved1

This is probably the dumbest question about Gwent, but heh: do you have to buy cards/build a deck first? Because I understand the basics and can win the first round, but then I run out of cards very quickly.

The only side quests I have now are Gwent-related, I wouldn't mind clearing some stuff.
Lol, anyone can win the first round playing all their cards at once! But then you're screwed for the next two rounds, and you'll lose the game.

The real magic of the game is knowing when to hold for later, and when to go on attack. Many cpu players intentionally try to drain you early. Don't be such an easy mark! You can build and improve the deck, but each game has a set amount of cards in your hand.

Finished the Isle of Mists. Man that reunion got me misty eyed.

Actually they are. Just skipped all of them my last playthrough and didn't collect any extra allies by travelling to
Isle of Mists

Ah ok. I thought I had to get the allies, but I'm glad I did. I didnt think the point of no return would come so early so I'm glad I got a few quests done beforehand. The Skellige side stories were pretty great, minus the sailing bits.

Actually, Ciri does too.

It is weird. People that get to know Yen really well fiercely love her and are often fiercely loved in return.

There was a Wizard in one of the books who was pretty much willing to commit suicide by Witcher rather than go on without her.

And I would like to think growing up with Lambert probably immunized Geralt from bitchiness.

Oh damn. I guess Ciri views her as her mother? Their reunion was sweet too. I wish this game dived into their backstory a lot more.

Gwent players early on are pretty easy, but as you progress they will get harder and smarter, so best to start building your deck as soon as you can. Even if you're not going for the full set trophy/achievement, it's always worthwhile buying and wining cards from every merchant you meet.

Focus on using special cards like scorch, decoy and commander's horn, don't just rely on big number cards to win a round. Try to let the opponent use more cards than you to win a round early, many times the AI gets greedy and has no cards left by the third round. Also, if you have any spy cards, use them early.

You can also change the gwent difficulty from the menu if you're having a hard time or fancy a challenge. Once you have a strong deck, you can obliterate any player no matter the difficulty.

butman

Just finished this piece of art on B&BB.

STORY

Storywise it was too short or it's just me? Without counting the sidequests, that were very well made, grinding, and doing subquest of the main quests it was pretty much this:

- Find Yennefer.
- Go to the Baron at Velen and to Jaskier at Novigrad.
- Go to Skellige, then go to the forest with Yennefer
- Find Ciri
- Defend Kaer Morhen
- Kill Imlerith
- Find the Elf Stone
- Kill ‎Caranthir
- Kill Eredin
- Go to the tower.

I really expected that the story would be longer and explore at least two areas as big as Velen.

THE GAME:

- Skill tree it could perfectly be the first row. Has any one unlocked all of them before finish the game?
- I barely used bombs.
- There's a overpopulation of Glyphs in this game, it maybe because it did all the question marks available.
- I barely crafted or used alchemy. You can beat the game with the treasures equipement.

Aside of this it was a GREAT game. Now i thinking if i'll of get Hearts of Stone or not. Would you guys recommend me?

Top Bottom