• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Aw man the Brothers in Arms quests aren't optional? Talk about deflating especially when it JUST got super good. I now have to spend some hours now doing a bunch of sidequests I dont care about. Lame.

The missions earlier with the other Witchers were fun (holy crap Kaer Morhen is absolutely gorgeous) and the drinking afterwards was hysterical. Watching the three of them
put on Yens dresses and drunk out of their minds was a lot of fun and a nice breather between some heavy stuff

Skellige is the country/region made up of a series of islands. Ard Skellig is the largest island in the region.

Ard Skellig is the capital of Skellig. It's like Panama city is the capital of Panama or Mexico City the capital of Mexico.

Ah gotcha, thanks guys!

Believe me, no one knows what he sees in her. Other characters often comment on the improbability of that pairing and Ciri might be the only character who isn't weirded out by that relationship, at least since she learned to tolerate Yennefer and stopped hating her.
He's hopelessly in love, it's not supposed to make sense (but it sure does not make roleplaying him any easier).

Geralt is like the only person that even thinks of her positively. Its so weird to see him act the way he does around her. I guess she's the canon choice?

Sucks for her though, I chose Triss. I did feel bad for Yen during The Last Wish though.

Nordicus

Aw man the Brothers in Arms quests aren't optional? Talk about deflating especially when it JUST got super good. I now have to spend some hours now doing a bunch of sidequests I dont care about. Lame.
Actually they are. Just skipped all of them my last playthrough and didn't collect any extra allies by travelling to
Isle of Mists

ColdPizza

Banned
I feel I met be the only person, who after
findinf Ciri, took the money from the emperor. And what makes it worse it was only 50 crowns. And then the look on Ciris face immediately makes you feel like a piece of shit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've hardly used bombs in combat I must admit.

Dude.

People don't know this, but Alchemy builds are hella overpowered. Bombs in particular are devastating. Cluster Bomb upgrade + Superior Moon Dust = the entire battlefield covered with Moon Dust. That means that specters can't go intangible and foglets can't go invisible anywhere in the battle, which makes them amazingly easy to beat. Some bombs have incredible utility too, like Northern Wind freezing all enemies solid. Then you tack on talents like:
  • Refreshment (each potion heals 25% of health)
  • Delayed Recovery (potion effects don't disappear until you go below 70% toxicity)
  • Side Effects (each potion you take activates another random potion for free with no toxicity penalty)
  • Fixative (Blade Oils don't wear off)
  • Protective Coating (Blade Oils provide 25% defense against the oil's monster type)
  • Poisoned Blades (Blade Oils have a 15% chance to poison)
  • Efficiency (Gives you 7 bombs per slot instead of 2)
If you're having trouble with the difficulty, switch to Alchemy. You'll never look back.

I'm level 20, finishing up Velen quests. Is there a quest where I get to go into the Oxenfurt Academy? or is always locked?

There's a quest in the expansion that takes you inside. Don't think you can go in any other way.

Costia

Just finished fallout 4. This is my first witcher game. Any recommnded builds for a new player (not new to RPG's, just new to the witcher series) or can i just pick whatever i want (within reason) and it will work out?

ColdPizza

Banned
Just finished fallout 4. This is my first witcher game. Any recommnded builds for a new player (not new to RPG's, just new to the witcher series) or can i just pick whatever i want (within reason) and it will work out?

Depends, what difficulty do you plan on playing with?

The first thing I would work on is arrow deflection while parrying, then basically the stamina building so you can essentially keep Quen up constantly. After that, you can pick any play style you prefer.

Costia

Depends, what difficulty do you plan on playing with?

The first thing I would work on is arrow deflection while parrying, then basically the stamina building so you can essentially keep Quen up constantly. After that, you can pick any play style you prefer.

On normal

MartyStu

Geralt is like the only person that even thinks of her positively. Its so weird to see him act the way he does around her. I guess she's the canon choice?

Sucks for her though, I chose Triss. I did feel bad for Yen during The Last Wish though.

Actually, Ciri does too.

It is weird. People that get to know Yen really well fiercely love her and are often fiercely loved in return.

There was a Wizard in one of the books who was pretty much willing to commit suicide by Witcher rather than go on without her.

And I would like to think growing up with Lambert probably immunized Geralt from bitchiness.

X-Frame

Is it true that going New Game + doesn't open up more slots for skills?

What's the point of doubling the amount of skill points to activate abilities if I can't even assign all of them now at Level 35?

Lender

There was a Wizard in one of the books who was pretty much willing to commit suicide by Witcher rather than go on without her.

Ha, I've just finished reading that chapter yesterday. She did
kinda cheat on Geralt though.

I have to say that although she can act like a real bitch in the books (so far, I've only read The Last Wish and now going through Sword Of Destiny), I kinda like it about her as well.

NeoGiff

Ha, I've just finished reading that chapter yesterday. She did
kinda cheat on Geralt though.

I have to say that although she can act like a real bitch in the books (so far, I've only read The Last Wish and now going through Sword Of Destiny), I kinda like it about her as well.

I like that about her, too. She embraces her bitchiness and makes no apology for it.

Any news on a fix to The School of the Wolf armor set?
I know it's fixed for some, but I'm still having issues with it. Went with Mastercrafted Feline instead... The latest update didn't do anything for me. I did this late in the game; so no "before Kaer Mohren" save on my end.
(Context: Had to replay the whole thing, my HDD was messing up my console, had to do a total factory reset - I'm on PS4).

I'm on a limited schedule regarding gaming, hence I still haven't finished this game even though I bought it at launch. So my question is, can I still continue playing the game and thus the expansions even if I get this "shitty ending" I keep reading about? I can't read what that entails because of spoilers, but my gut tells me that my question has to do with it.

And if that's the case, whereabout do I need to make a separate save file to redo the bit of the game to get a proper ending? Like I said, I'd love to do NG+ but I just don't have the time for it.

aku:jiki

I'm on a limited schedule regarding gaming, hence I still haven't finished this game even though I bought it at launch. So my question is, can I still continue playing the game and thus the expansions even if I get this "shitty ending" I keep reading about? I can't read what that entails because of spoilers, but my gut tells me that my question has to do with it.

And if that's the case, whereabout do I need to make a separate save file to redo the bit of the game to get a proper ending? Like I said, I'd love to do NG+ but I just don't have the time for it.
What ending you end up seeing as no effect on your ability to wander the world, finish side quests and do DLC.

(Because, after the credits roll, there is a text popup telling you that you are now technically playing before the events of the ending.)

Is it true that going New Game + doesn't open up more slots for skills?

What's the point of doubling the amount of skill points to activate abilities if I can't even assign all of them now at Level 35?

You get to alter your playstyle a lot more on the fly, if you so choose, because you have a lot more options unlocked.

I just thought it was fun going through the game with my already nearly-perfected build, and not worry about building him up again.

ColdPizza

Banned
Any news on a fix to The School of the Wolf armor set?
I know it's fixed for some, but I'm still having issues with it. Went with Mastercrafted Feline instead... The latest update didn't do anything for me. I did this late in the game; so no "before Kaer Mohren" save on my end.
(Context: Had to replay the whole thing, my HDD was messing up my console, had to do a total factory reset - I'm on PS4).

I'm in the same boat, ps4, finished the game, still can't open that damn chest in the watch tower.

ColdPizza

Banned

I got the shitty ending.

Afterwards, they drop you back down in Kaer Morhen and say you're back in the world before the final events of the game and can't play the main quest anymore. (they explain everything to you when it happens, which is nice)

As for where you need save to redo your story choices, it's BEFORE you go to the Isle of Mists.

I plan on just making a separate save and doing a NG+ and playing on easy or normal and just do the mainline and secondary quests necessary for me to get the Full Crew trophy since I screwed it up on my first playthrough. I may just watch the other endings on Youtube.

So I was fucking around in Kaer Morhen because it's gorgeous and I love the music, and all of a sudden while walking up this mountain pass I begin to here thunder.

Now I'm pretty sure it can't rain on the Kaer Morhen map so I thought this was fucking weird, figured it was a glitch.

Then I keep walking up the pass and look to my right and there's this black cloud just hover there which scared the shit out of me.

Turns out I accidentally stumbled upon some wizard's experiment to create a magically infused "green house" and and while left unattended, the magic charge was lost causing the temperature to drop so steeply in this isolated area that it caused a miniature thunderstorm.

This fucking game man. Just when you think you've seen it all.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That ability is honestly garbage because last I tried, Cat potion was in the random effect pool.

Random blindness, yaaaay

I've gotten the Cat potion a handful of times (literally), and I've used at least 100+ potions over the course of my Death March run. So yeah it happens every now and then and it's a mild annoyance, but you'll love it when you get a random Thunderbolt or Blizzard or Swallow potion.

ColdPizza

Banned
So I was fucking around in Kaer Morhen because it's gorgeous and I love the music, and all of a sudden while walking up this mountain pass I begin to here thunder.

Now I'm pretty sure it can't rain on the Kaer Morhen map so I thought this was fucking weird, figured it was a glitch.

Then I keep walking up the pass and look to my right and there's this black cloud just hover there which scared the shit out of me.

Turns out I accidentally stumbled upon some wizard's experiment to create a magically infused "green house" and and while left unattended, the magic charge was lost causing the temperature to drop so steeply in this isolated area that it caused a miniature thunderstorm.

This fucking game man. Just when you think you've seen it all.

holy shit, i'll have to check this out. any clues as to where on the map this is?

holy shit, i'll have to check this out. any clues as to where on the map this is?

kgkh7vp.jpg

Check the unblurred area.

It's somewhere around there I think.

Flipyap

Actually, Ciri does too.

It is weird. People that get to know Yen really well fiercely love her and are often fiercely loved in return.

And I would like to think growing up with Lambert probably immunized Geralt from bitchiness.
Most of Sapkowski's characters are obsessive, some (like the dudes who fall in love with Yennefer) almost fanatically so, which doesn't necessarily mean that they respect the object of their obsession. The characters who love Yennefer learn to tolerate her behavior because they don't have a choice. I don't think anyone actually agrees with or appreciates her way of doing things. It's an old lady who acts like a moody teenager and you either nod politely or you face her wrath (or passive-aggressive apathy... unless she decides to flee the scene, unable to face her own shittiness).

As for Ciri's love for her mother figure, that one developed like Stockholm syndrome, but Yennefer never really changed her tune.
So what's this "fierce love" of hers worth if you'll never be treated like an equal?

Varna

Anyone try any of the difficulty mods? Just looking for something that extends that initially feeling of DM all the way through.

Spoilers for Witcher 3 story ahead:
Ciri became the empress and I romanced Yenn.

Overall, it was a fantastic game and I'm glad I played it.

Talk to me about the DLC GAF. Worth it? How long is it? Any new items, armor sets?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Spoilers for Witcher 3 story ahead:
Ciri became the empress and I romanced Yenn.

Overall, it was a fantastic game and I'm glad I played it.

Talk to me about the DLC GAF. Worth it? How long is it? Any new items, armor sets?

It's arguable the best stretch of quests in the series due to scenario diversity and characters. It's light on side content but the main quest is absurdly good value for money.

ColdPizza

Banned
Collect 'Em All is starting to wear on me...lol

Finally broke down and printed a list of all gwent players and am just hitting them up 1 by 1.

I feel I'm close but now it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Does this quest require you get all of the duplicates as well?

Costia

Just started and I have a few questions:
1) Gathering herbs is pointless? I only need to craft alchemy items once, and i might as well buy the 4 herbs I need.
2) Is there any logic to quest/contract/area difficulty? I just left the starting zone and ran into a level 16 bandit camp near my questing area. I also seem to get higher-level crafting recipes and contracts.
3) Is it worth bothering with repairing the armor/weapons?
For some reason using the kits seems to be cheaper than paying a blacksmith. Also, I assume I would be replacing gear quite a lot at the lower levels, so should i just ignore it?
4) Any advice on selling items besides selling them to the correct craftsman? (from what i understand 1.10 nerfed a few merchants)

ColdPizza

Banned
Just started and I have a few questions:
1) Gathering herbs is pointless? I only need to craft alchemy items once, and i might as well buy the 4 herbs I need.
2) Is there any logic to quest/contract/area difficulty? I just left the starting zone and ran into a level 16 bandit camp near my questing area. I also seem to get higher-level crafting recipes and contracts.
3) Is it worth bothering with repairing the armor/weapons?
For some reason using the kits seems to be cheaper than paying a blacksmith. Also, I assume I would be replacing gear quite a lot at the lower levels, so should i just ignore it?
4) Any advice on selling items besides selling them to the correct craftsman? (from what i understand 1.10 nerfed a few merchants)

1. Yeah, it's pretty pointless once you have money since you can buy most herbs at an herbalist. I haven't really focused on an alchemy build, so I'm not aware of any rare herbs that you're better off picking yourself instead of buying.

2. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason...I've run into level 20-30 monsters in Velen and level 7 bandits in Skellige. Maybe the devs are trying to say that danger lurks around every corner, and not to necessarily avoid areas because you don't think your level is high enough.

3. I pretty much just save the kits for when I don't plan on returning to a city any time soon and need to repair my weapons/armor on the fly.

4. No advice from me other than sell swords to blacksmiths and armor to armorers as you'll get the most return. Traveling salesmen or merchants will underpay for those items. The only time I'll sell those kind of things if they are common items and I need to jettison some weight quickly.

Collect 'Em All is starting to wear on me...lol

Finally broke down and printed a list of all gwent players and am just hitting them up 1 by 1.

I feel I'm close but now it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Does this quest require you get all of the duplicates as well?

Yup, you need every single one.

Lol, the
Schrodinger
reference was amazing.
Too bad most players probably missed it because they chose to
kill the murderous witcher

BumRush

If you had told me I'd buy the DLC (hell, if you told me I'd finish the main game) when I first picked W3 up a few months ago, I'd have told you that you were crazy. I'll admit it though...the story, characters and world sunk their hooks into me big time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If you had told me I'd buy the DLC (hell, if you told me I'd finish the main game) when I first picked W3 up a few months ago, I'd have told you that you were crazy. I'll admit it though...the story, characters and world sunk their hooks into me big time.

The DLC quests are pretty incredible. You're in for a treat.

X-Frame

Same. I knew absolutely nothing about the Witcher games or books or anything -- just that it was highly reviewed and praised and recommended. Plus, I wanted to get lost into a new world. Pretty much once I got to Velen I was hooked.

ColdPizza

Banned
Same. I knew absolutely nothing about the Witcher games or books or anything -- just that it was highly reviewed and praised and recommended. Plus, I wanted to get lost into a new world. Pretty much once I got to Velen I was hooked.

You get hooked in Velen, but then Skellige is just an eye-gasm...

Speaking of Velen, I absolutely love that from many places you can see Bald Mountain off on the horizon on a clear day.

X-Frame

You get hooked in Velen, but then Skellige is just an eye-gasm...

Speaking of Velen, I absolutely love that from many places you can see Bald Mountain off on the horizon on a clear day.

And ear-gasm as well! I had my headphones on and had Roach moving slowly on the path (holding down the button so Roach stays on the road) and just taking in the sights while "Fields of Ard Skellig" comes on.

I remember stopping and just listening to the ambient noise and music for like a minute, haha.

Top Bottom