• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

MadYarpen

Yep, consumed it right in the water hag's lair. I also tried it outside the chamber in different places, yet nothing happened other than losing the potions. I've also unequipped other potions, leaving on the Drowner Pheromones equipped, but nothing changed.

I've already wasted a couple of hours on this contract. Guess I'll move on to the next quest, then.

after you drink it you have to hide in the back of the cave. Try to go there, maybe i'll triger some reaction.

Auctopus

The one armor/clothing option I'd love to see in Blood & Wine is the riding cloak.

witcher3_crop.jpg

It features pretty heavily in promotional, concept and loading screen art. Maybe it just clipped like mad so they never included it. I know there's a few PC mods than enable it but I'd like an official version. The "Mysterious Persons" in Novigrad wear cloaks with hoods so it must be in their engine/abilities somewhere.

Anyone else feel that this game was toned down quite a bit when compared to the Witcher 2? I feel like Witcher 3 pulls its punches, and that Witcher 2 was somewhat darker in tone than the Witcher 3. I hope they rectify this in Blood and Wine, Hearts of Stone was a real step forward towards what Witcher 2 was like, which gives me hope. Stuff like killing
Whoreson Junior
was done off screen for instance, whilst Witcher 2 would give 0 fucks. The only really disturbing thing was all the
murdered women in his house

Also, despite how good the story and quests are, the Wild Hunt is such a weak villain. Eredin only says a few lines in the game and I'm supposed to be afraid of him? Also, I really dislike how they forgot completely about characters like Iorveth, or how characters like Ves barely acknowledge your existence even if you went with Roche in W2. Though CDPR does have a record of just forgetting about characters like Shani in the W2.

I feel like I'm spending too much time with the side quests. :( I used to be a few levels below the story quests but now I'm 1-2 levels over. I'm not sure how much time is recommended to spend outside the main story.

MadYarpen

I feel like I'm spending too much time with the side quests. :( I used to be a few levels below the story quests but now I'm 1-2 levels over. I'm not sure how much time is recommended to spend outside the main story.

If it is starting to feel too much, go back to the main story line. The best way to play it is to play so that you enjoy it. It sounds stupid, but my point is do whatever you feel like. No point in saying "ok for next 10h I'm doing only sidequests/monsterhunts" etc.It is likely you won't do everything anyway.

If it is starting to feel too much, go back to the main story line. The best way to play it is to play so that you enjoy it. It sounds stupid, but my point is do whatever you feel like. No point in saying "ok for next 10h I'm doing only sidequests/monsterhunts" etc.It is likely you won't do everything anyway.

Yup, just play however you enjoy it. I was about 80 hrs in before finally moving onto Skellige

Thanks. I'm enjoying the side quests right now. I just finished A Towerful of Mice.
I didn't expect to end up killing a kingdom, that was really drastic :(

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anyone else feel that this game was toned down quite a bit when compared to the Witcher 2? I feel like Witcher 3 pulls its punches, and that Witcher 2 was somewhat darker in tone than the Witcher 3. I hope they rectify this in Blood and Wine, Hearts of Stone was a real step forward towards what Witcher 2 was like, which gives me hope. Stuff like killing
Whoreson Junior
was done off screen for instance, whilst Witcher 2 would give 0 fucks. The only really disturbing thing was all the
murdered women in his house

Also, despite how good the story and quests are, the Wild Hunt is such a weak villain. Eredin only says a few lines in the game and I'm supposed to be afraid of him? Also, I really dislike how they forgot completely about characters like Iorveth, or how characters like Ves barely acknowledge your existence even if you went with Roche in W2. Though CDPR does have a record of just forgetting about characters like Shani in the W2.

I haven't played Witcher 2, but I have hard time feeling that Witcher 3 is toned down. The game tackled some disturbing subjects like spouse abuse and as you said, the stuff with Whoreson Junior was just plain messed up. Naked women everywhere...

Vetro

Thanks. I'm enjoying the side quests right now. I just finished A Towerful of Mice.
I didn't expect to end up killing a kingdom, that was really drastic :(

I remember that one too. The sidequests are amazing, did some after the first meeting with Triss and thought this is mainstory :D

Imlerith is the worst. Not because of the teleporting (which sucks) but because if you mess up you have to damage him to that stage, which might actually be the easiest fight in the game...

The worst fight easily goes to the Chort contract though. Absolutely awful.

Sai

The Chort was pretty straight forward though. Only problem I had with that contract was the fact that you couldn't seem to enter it's den(or the den of the Fiend it slayed, rather) without incurring some fall damage. The fight itself was cake.

Nere

Guys I have a question. I play the witcher 3 on my 970m laptop at around 35-45 fps I recently went back to the witcher 2 and it runs really bad. 25-30fps all the time. Is it that badly optimized or am I missing something here? On both games all options are on max.

Edit: Okey my bad. I had ubersampling on, turned it off and it is 60 fps locked, feel like an idiot...

The Chort was pretty straight forward though. Only problem I had with that contract was the fact that you couldn't seem to enter it's den(or the den of the Fiend it slayed, rather) without incurring some fall damage. The fight itself was cake.

I probably did it wrong. I found it easy, but every time he hit me when I had quen resulted in me getting stunned, which was the most infuriating thing ever.

frontovik

Banned
So Marcin Mormont mentioned we should expect a pleasant surprise on the forums once it's finished maintenance in a few hours. I wonder what it is...? Most likely a banner re-design, but I'm hoping for more info on Blood and Wine.

Nere

Since I don't know where to post it will post it here might get some help. I want to install the combat rebalance mod for the witcher 2 but my content manager looks like this so I can't activate the mod http://steamcommunity.com/app/20920/discussions/0/846962627013043605/ (not my pic but it looks exactly like this). Anyone encountered that problem? I have the witcher 2 enchanced edition in steam.

Edit: site appears banned so linked the thread have the exact same problem as the OP of that thread.

So Marcin Mormont mentioned we should expect a pleasant surprise on the forums once it's finished maintenance in a few hours. I wonder what it is...? Most likely a banner re-design, but I'm hoping for more info on Blood and Wine.

Didn't he say, on the maintenance thread, that it will be something for forum users only. I don't think it's B&W.

I think if they show B&W, it'll be during on Friday during PAX. PCGamesDE is also looking for people to play the game on April 29th, so I'll be surprised if there's no trailer at PAX.

Lesser gems I sell, others I use, greater I keep for good stuff.

Sorry, I meant runestones. From what I read, either the rune or the item is destroyed. I feel a bit like a collector, but at at the same time collecting unique equipment feels pointless in this game. Seems like everything can be crafted or dropped.

Nordicus

Sorry, I meant runestones. From what I read, either the rune or the item is destroyed. I feel a bit like a collector, but at at the same time collecting unique equipment feels pointless in this game. Seems like everything can be crafted or dropped.
I generally use them, then once the equipment becomes outdated, salvage it into parts and get the runestones/sigils back. Sell extra runestones when I have more than 3 of single type in my inventory

boskee

Anyone else feel that this game was toned down quite a bit when compared to the Witcher 2?

It was. The witches' Sabbath on Bald Mountain was originally supposed to show an orgy and ritual suicide performed by women jumping off the cliff. They scraped all that and went with 3 witches and a cauldron full of blood and guts. There's more examples of them cutting out dark content, like the scene involving orphans that shocked Doug Cockle/VAs so much they suggested to CDPR that it may be stepping over the line. Although no details were ever provided we know that the children were eaten, so you can probably imagine that scene.

MadYarpen

It was. The witches' Sabbath on Bald Mountain was originally supposed to show an orgy and ritual suicide performed by women jumping off the cliff. They scraped all that and went with 3 witches and a cauldron full of blood and guts. There's more examples of them cutting out dark content, like the scene involving orphans that shocked Doug Cockle/VAs so much they suggested to CDPR that it may be stepping over the line. Although no details were ever provided we know that the children were eaten, so you can probably imagine that scene.

It must heave gone quite far if he was recording voice overs for this...

frontovik

Banned

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

It must heave gone quite far if he was recording voice overs for this...

It's in the leaked 2014 internal docs. The originally intended version got very far along. These docs are from June 2014, look at quest 111. Personally, it should have been in the game. I also don't know what they recorded 16 hours of sex scene mocap for, as most of the sex scenes in the final game are copy pasted. Perhaps that too was censored, considering they also censored one of the crones nipples on the tapestry you see in the hut. You can see the original asset in the 2014 35 minute demo.

Also note that voice recording started in late 2012, and finished in 2015, taking roughly two and a half years. There's probably a lot of unused dialogue sitting around in CDPR's offices. Hell, just look at how much was only used in trailer footage.

I made this post when the final game came out. We've also talked about it on the forums, where more info was added and some incorrect things fixed but the forums are dead right now (search for the list of changes and cut content thread when they come back online). You're going to see one of the cut things mentioned in that post in B&W. Not going to spoil what, but it appeared in detail the 1.12 patch files, so I assume it will be in the expansion. Also if you liked Iorveth from TW2, he was meant to be in TW3 too. Unfortunately, even if they do an EE, I don't think he will ever appear again.

I also mentioned it on the previous page.

Reading about everything that was cut is so disappointing. I hope CDPR is on their A-game for Blood and Wine, considering this is the final send off for Geralt. Hearts of Stone was great, so I have faith in them to deliver. The
Shani
romance in the DLC was so much better than the Triss romance in the vanilla game even though Triss is a main LI for Geralt, lol.

Reading about everything that was cut is so disappointing. I hope CDPR is on their A-game for Blood and Wine, considering this is the final send off for Geralt. Hearts of Stone was great, so I have faith in them to deliver. The
Shani
romance in the DLC was so much better than the Triss romance in the vanilla game even though Triss is a main LI for Geralt, lol.

Shani's
scene is great (
give her some booze
), almost rivals Triss's from TW2.

Yeah, it's weird man. Kind of gives credibility to these reviews of the company, saying that the project was managed poorly. A lot of the cut stuff sounded great, and I'm still looking into what happened to Iorveth. Even if he never shows up again, I'm personally interested in where they would have taken the story with him and the elves. They should have talked about this pre-launch however, in my opinion. Even if only one person bought the game excepting him to be in it because they said he would be, well, that's not cool. I don't think anyone cares that there aren't boat races (ironically there are some left bits in the files), but Iorveth should have been in the game. It makes sense following the events of TW2.

Some people might try and defend certain cuts, but I can say with quite a bit of certainty, that cutting Iorveth out of the Novigrad events negatively effected the flow in that part of the story. Ves isn't mentioned at all the in leaked docs, and the scene in
Kaer Morhen
that she's in uses Iorveth's name in the final game files. Reasons of State also isn't mentioned, which makes sense because I believe that they added in Ves and started Reasons of State in late 2014 after Iorveth and the Scoia'tael was cut, which is why that quest feels rushed and has a very unsatisfying conclusion. Other cuts like removing Fake Ciri / Becca in favour of Cerys were probably for the best, but I don't see how cutting Iorveth made the game any better.

The marketing for TW3 is full of weird things too. Like showing this scene in the launch trailer, where each NPC has in the scene has a unique model. Makes sense, right? Then in the final game, on console and PC using max settings, 7 identical NPC models are used in the same scene, almost right next to each other, for who knows what reason. The Witcher 3: Doppler Hunt.

-----------------------

Here's the back of the B&W box. Same description as Amazon, I think we can safety assume the release is May 27th.

So this leaked image from months back was real after all. CDPR has a real problem keeping their shit locked down. :p
Says the guy who talks about their leaked internal docs all the time.
I honestly thought it was fake because the asset quality looked a bit low res. Hmm.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You guys are manufacturing disappointment reading into behind the scenes things that were cut. As someone that hasnt bothered with any of that, im overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in this game.

You guys are manufacturing disappointment reading into behind the scenes things that were cut. As someone that hasnt bothered with any of that, im overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in this game.

Seriously. Every form of media known to man has cut content. It's not a big deal.

It's not manufactured disappointment. So it's fine to say things in interviews that then never make it into the game? And then never provide an explanation when confused people ask? Imagine if they had cut Dandelion or Zoltan after they were announced. Or any of the other secondary characters.

It's the exact same problem with the whole graphics thing. They could have just said "we changed the renderer and LOD because of x, that's why things look different in trailer y" or "we cut character i after he was announced because of issue q, we're sorry and know that fans will be disappointed". Instead they chose to bunker down, and that's how you end up with a 161 page "downgrade" thread. It's not the right way to do things. Communicate with your fanbase. It's why I'm really impressed with what Ninja Theory are doing with Hellblade.

I just think stuff like that is very interesting. Gives a cool look behind the scenes of game development.

Coreda

I can only think they ran out of time, since it seems there's only around 5-10 NPC faces in each entire region. Oddly there's an NPC I spotted recently circling the Novigrad moat that has a completely unique face:

So do I.

Blood and Wine screenshots coming in a few hours. I think a trailer will follow later.

*Rubs hands together*

I can only think they ran out of time, since it seems there's only around 5-10 NPC faces in each entire region. Oddly there's an NPC I spotted recently circling the Novigrad moat that has a completely unique face.

I've never seen that face before. Why use that for a guy rowing a boat that most players will never see? Weird.

The original scene was done though. It was in the launch trailer. How could they run out of time if it was already finished. :p I don't know why they changed it, but it's hilarious. A scene where a dude is burning a doppler, has 7 identical NPC models watching on. I think you missed a doppler, mate. ;) For cut-scenes, the NPC's have to be hand placed too. It's not a random generation thing, or a bug. You can even see that some models stayed the same, like the one in the green and white shirt with the circular hat, but others were removed and replaced with the ear flaps hat guy who shows up 7 times. One guy on the forums even submitted a bug report, but they replied back saying that lack the resources to investigate things which aren't fully game breaking.

EDIT: Visual comparison.
Launch Trailer:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Bo573Eb.jpg[/IMG]
Final Game:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3d1EpDF.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BdyrRgF.jpg[/IMG]

The "whispery effect" seen in the trailer near the launch of the game of the during
The Cave of Dreams
is also absent in the final game.
No idea why, it looked great. The texture work on the Sirens was also changed. There's also this one, after release which shows smoke stacks in the huts in
Crow's Perch
and Skellige and increased LOD.
These should be options on the PC version.

Maybe it's an inside joke or adapted from a developer's face from CDPR, ala Rare's Perfect Dark. Who knows.

IIRC, all of the faces in TW3 are modelled after real people. One guy from reddit even managed to get his face in the game. He's one of the blacksmiths, the one in Kaer Trolde.

I added some more oddities to the post, like some missing effects work. This stuff was finished, seems odd not to include it in the PC options menu.

Mediking

I'm really starting to like this game. I was struggling when I first bought it but now... everything is making sense. I'm really enjoying the story and customization. I gave Geralt a cool haircut and beard. I think it's the Elven haircut. I'm in Novigrad right now and I'm trying to find clues to get to Dandelion.

Holy shit, can't wait to fight those insect monsters in the mushroom jungle and then plough those fine ladies XD

You won't be ploughing Anna Henrietta. :p

That's for Dandelion.

Nice to see the archespores from TW1 return. Or something very similar to them. Judging by what was added to the files in 1.12, expect some more TW1 monsters to appear. ;)

Also, nice TW1 armour. :D

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zf5EdwU.jpg[/IMG]

I'm almost looking forward to this more than Uncharted 4. It also looks like they changed the grass, it seems to blend into the environment a lot better than in the main game.

See that castle in the distance? You can go there.

Fantastic new armor sets as well, it's going to be an amazing swansong to the Witcher series.

I honestly cannot believe how terribly designed the end of the family matters quest is.

If you go a bit too far during a fight it auto triggers the thing which is near unkillable? Such shit.

I honestly cannot believe how terribly designed the end of the family matters quest is.

If you go a bit too far during a fight it auto triggers the thing which is near unkillable? Such shit.

What thing? Is this with the "bad" choice? Use some spoiler tags ;) I'm interested about this near unkillable thing. I never came across that.

What thing? Is this with the "bad" choice? Use some spoiler tags ;) I'm interested about this near unkillable thing. I never came across that.
Not unkillable, but ridiculously difficult by all accounts.

fighting the blotchling with the wraiths is just ridiculous due to how quickly they kill you. And the fact that the semi alive baby thing becomes a blotchling if you walk a little too far in one direction is also a joke.

I eventually did it, I'm glad it is over. I think I need to invest in potions for a bit as well as armour/weapons as my equipment is pretty poor

Top Bottom