• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

MadYarpen

Not unkillable, but ridiculously difficult by all accounts.

fighting the blotchling with the wraiths is just ridiculous due to how quickly they kill you. And the fact that the semi alive baby thing becomes a blotchling if you walk a little too far in one direction is also a joke.

I eventually did it, I'm glad it is over. I think I need to invest in potions for a bit as well as armour/weapons as my equipment is pretty poor

This is no BB/DS but I guess you need to git gud.

There was nothing ridiculously difficult in this quest.

Auctopus

About to start a Gwent play through so I can finally Platinum.

Before I do, can I just double check there hasn't been a patch where all cards are available at end-game? E.g. I never got the Baron's card so now that he's dead, I can't get the card right?

To get card collector, Gwent must be played alongside the main game, right?

ColdPizza

Banned
About to start a Gwent play through so I can finally Platinum.

Before I do, can I just double check there hasn't been a patch where all cards are available at end-game? E.g. I never got the Baron's card so now that he's dead, I can't get the card right?

To get card collector, Gwent must be played alongside the main game, right?

Go back to his fort. Apparently you can find his card on his desk.

Skellige gwent faction being added with Blood and Wine. It was just announced at the Gwent panel at PAX East.

Didn't watch the twitch stream, but it's been in the files since 1.12. ;)

I mentioned earlier that something that was cut would be in Blood and Wine, and the Skellige deck was cut from the main game. Although it seems they've changed it significantly, which is cool.

Some cards that are in the game files:

Beserker: Transforms into a bear when a mushroom card is on its row.
Leader Ability: Shuffles all cards from each player's graveyards back into their decks.
Leader Ability: Units only lose half their values in bad weather conditions.
Mushroom: Triggers transformation of all Berserker Cards on the same row.
Skellige Rain: Reduces the strength of all range and siege units to 1.
Skellige Clans: 2 random cards from the graveyard come to play on the board at the start of round 3.
Summon Shield Maidens: Summons all shield maidens from deck and hand.

There's something else related to Gwent that's coming too, but I won't spoil that.

Just finished the base game.

In an effort to do as many quests as possible I romanced Triss and Yen. Great ending though. I got what I deserved though I should have picked one (Triss duh)for Geralt's sake. Also I can't believe they would even give me the option to pick Djikstra over Roche. There's some characters I would have to think about when their fate is weighed against a free North but I would never do my man Roche like that.

Probably one of my favorite gaming experiences though. A massive story game like this is just what I needed. Downloading the DLC now.

Skellige gwent faction being added with Blood and Wine. It was just announced at the Gwent panel at PAX East.

Awesome, more cards to collect and players to beat in Gwent. Also more dlc trophies I presume.

There's something else related to Gwent that's coming too, but I won't spoil that.

I hope there is a physical gwent set for season pass owners, I missed out on the previous one.

Falchion

I bought this during the Xbox holiday sale but just started it this evening, going to brace myself to be overwhelmed by all there is to learn and do in this game.

I hope there is a physical gwent set for season pass owners, I missed out on the previous one.

I wouldn't know anything about that. That sort of info wouldn't be in the game files unfortunately. It's possible that they could add Skellige if they do an Enhanced Edition.

Seemed someone let the surprise slip anyway. Slight spoiler obviously. The person that's mentioned there is going to have a familiar name, that's all I'm going to say. ;)

EDIT: I think the Golden Cock they showed is called
Żar-ptak
. It's like a
phoenix apparently.

Rootbeer

Banned
Can someone suggest a good save file to use?

I played Wither 3 on PS4 and completed everything, had all the gwent cards, all upgrades, just about everything.

I have not yet played Hearts of Stone and very much want to play it and Blood & Wine... on my new gaming PC.

I need a good save file that has no Hearts of Stone/Blood & Wine content started yet so I can begin from there. Would love some suggestions

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Man I'm getting my ass kicked by those spiders in Iris's dream. There's some many of them and plus those damn bees.

Just finished Hearts of Stone. All i have to say is...

giphy.gif

I got Witcher 3 and the season pass on Xbox One. But I recently got a new gaming rig.. and honestly, these new screens of B&W are making me want to double dip on PC. Go for it?

Depends what the specs of your PC are too.

I5-6600, R9 390 and 8GB RAM. It ain't featuring Titans, but it should be pretty solid.

Wait until there's a GOTY/Enhanced Edition or a good sale, double-dip then.

Yeah, I was thinking about it. But I am getting compensation due to a string of fuck ups from a certain company.. if they ain't handing over DOOM or something like that, then I wouldn't mind getting the Witcher (again heh).

SlickVic

Man HoS is a lot of fun. Perfect way to get back into The Witcher 3 after taking a break from it for the past 6 months after finishing the main game. And everything I hear about Blood and Wine sounds very promising as well. CDP doing one hell of a job on this game.

I have no idea how I beat everyone at the Novigrad Gwent tournament after ignoring the game for so long. I spent a lot of time building my deck using the best cards I could still get and I guess that was enough.

BFIB

I just started a new game. Haven't played it in about 8 months on PS4. Bought HoS.

Wow! I know I'm not losing my mind, but this game looks a lot better. It seems like you can see a lot further into the distance, and in the swamps in Velen, the framerate is butter smooth.

MadYarpen

I just started a new game. Haven't played it in about 8 months on PS4. Bought HoS.

Wow! I know I'm not losing my mind, but this game looks a lot better. It seems like you can see a lot further into the distance, and in the swamps in Velen, the framerate is butter smooth.

Yeah, the framerate is mostly fixed. It plays great at the moment. About the quality of the graphics, i don't think much has changed. Though they added back some waves on the sea around skellige IMO.

Samikaze

Anyone know a simple and easy way to beat the
caretaker
in Hearts of Stone on Death March?

Got back into it the game and wanna finish it on DM this time. Can't seem to beat him due to his healing factor.

RedSwirl

So nobody ever figured out what the deal was with the in-game play time counter right? It definitely isn't accurate for real time and it doesn't look accurate for in-game time either.

Samikaze

So nobody ever figured out what the deal was with the in-game play time counter right? It definitely isn't accurate for real time and it doesn't look accurate for in-game time either.

Worked fine for me on PS4. I just had to remember to close the game after use.
When I left it running and put my PS4 on rest, the timer kept counting.

My 1st play through said something like 12 days.
My 2nd play through said 4 days and some change. During this play through I was careful to close the application after use each time.

I have a question. I love this game, love (mostly) everything about it, but I feel like the combat is garbage. Do people just kind of get past it? My main problem with it is that there's basically no good option when it comes to defending yourself. Am I just doing it wrong? Like I use signs and everything, and Quen's great for a hit or two, but it seems like a couple normal dudes swinging spears around are almost guaranteed to get in at least one or two hits. Should I be relying on Quen more? Is the quickstep not garbage if you use it a certain way? Am I just shit at it? Or does everyone have this same experience, and mostly just ignore the problems with it because the writing and the world are great? Please note that I'm not trying to shit on the game here, it's fucking fantastic and that whole
baby ghost quest and basically everything else with the Baron
is up there for favorite gaming moment of the last few years, but I picked it back up to get a file ready for the DLC and I just can't get through it again.

Samikaze

The trick to good defense is learning what defenses to use and when.

-Stick to blocks for combos.
-Use roll to dodge powerful or wide attacks.
-Use sidestep for everything else. It's all about timing.
-Quen only stops 1-2 attacks, so as soon as it's gone, roll away until you can cast it again.

I personally loved the combat, but just remember it's not meant to be played like any other game. It's meant to follow it's own rules.

Here's a good video showing off decent dodging and rolling skills to give you an idea of when to use them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H185rh-Eyzo

MadYarpen

Successful sidesteps depend both on timing and direction you are sidestepping. If enemy is attacking from his right hand side to the left dodging in the same direction leaves you exposed.

You certainly can make it work.

Rosenskjold

I'm playing through the game and enjoying it so much, just landed in Ard Skellig and I just can't shake off me how much the music resembles one of the overworld themes in HOMM IV. So someone help me verify if I'm just making this up or not. It might just be the similarity in arrangement, lute/guitar, female vocal and violin. But there's especially a theme the violin plays that immediately made me think of HOMM IV.

Proof I'm not making this up:
Listen to the violin here (1:58-2:22): https://youtu.be/gokhBJWSjeM?t=1m57s

And then listen to this violin: https://youtu.be/obK-k848Vto?t=29m26s

Did anyone else think of the HOMM IV OST when you heard the Ard Skellig theme?

edit: Old news apparently, it's based on a gaelic song called 'Fear a' Bhàta', and they've probably both used the same sample.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm playing through the game and enjoying it so much, just landed in Ard Skellig and I just can't shake off me how much the music resembles one of the overworld themes in HOMM IV. So someone help me verify if I'm just making this up or not. It might just be the similarity in arrangement, lute/guitar, female vocal and violin. But there's especially a theme the violin plays that immediately made me think of HOMM IV.

edit: Old news apparently, it's based on a gaelic song called 'Fear a' Bhàta', and they've probably both used the same sample.

Goddamn, that Skellige music...just makes me want to load up the game again and wander the countryside. So fucking tranquil.

edit: time to get the OST in my car

Goddamn, that Skellige music...just makes me want to load up the game again and wander the countryside. So fucking tranquil.

edit: time to get the OST in my car

yeah, listening to the fields of ard skellig on repeat made me purchase HoS (not that I didn't want to purchase, but plan was to hold off until B&W released) but that music man so good

Picked back up my NG+ save and neck seams are showing up all over the place. I only noticed it previously on Ciri's alternate outfit, so did this occur with one of the patches? I don't notice a fix on nexus mods.

Oh, I'm not using a lighting mod (noticed one of those was causing issues).

Definitely same theme. I would conjecture that it's derived from some sort of folk music/traditional music, which would explain how it ended up in both songs. Not unusual for composers to do so, Bartok for example was famous for this.

Edit: Did not read your edit. D'oh.

Matush

So ready to jump back into the game, did not play HoS but I needed like 2 month break from the game after finishing it for the first time in March.

Aaaaand I double dipped. Couldn't resist it at 25 bucks, and don't mind supporting CDPR. Now I'll probably snag the expansion pass too at one point, that was probably a waste now for the Xbox One heh.

Now comes the struggle of not playing B&W until I finish my PC playthrough. Or I play it on XBO first.. hmm.

Btw. I redeemed my code at GOG, does the discount on a future purchase only count if you buy the game at GOG or also if you redeem a GOG code?

Just beat the game after almost a year...Got the worst ending but whatever just shitty choices on my end. 10/10 game and I called it being game of the year of 2015. This game is in my top 5 games ever. Now to buy the PC version since I now have a PC that can run it :D.

Holy.. I just cleared out White Orchard on PC. I booted the game, tried ultra settings and didn't really change anything beside shadows to high and all the nvidia stuff off (why is that turned on for AMD cards anyway, isn't it exclusive?)

It's so beautiful, I am pretty sure it's consistent 60fps with some very slight (I barely notice it coming from the XBO version) drops if I get into the forest or something like that. I am hooked again, argh!

Top Bottom