• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Currently playing through the main quest line. Looking for a little advice:

I just (Skellige spoilers)
met with Yennifer at the site of the magical explosion and began that series of quests where you follow her around Skellige chasing the trail Ciri left behind.

I've been so wrapped up on the main storyline that I've only done the major sidequests that the game puts in your path, along with a dozen or so other random ones I've come across here and there. I've enjoyed having my playthrough be "thematically consistent," where Geralt engages in the major subplots of the places he visits, but doesn't get too sidetracked while looking for Ciri given the time-sensitive nature of her plight (Wild Hunt's on her trail, etc.).

That said, I want to make sure I leave some time to poke around Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige a bit more before I've reach the "point of no return," so to speak. Do contracts and other sidequests I might become locked out of. A couple questions in this regard:

1. Where does this "point of no return" take place, and does the game telegraph it to you?

2. How much of the game is left after the "point of no return"?

3. Does it make narrative sense to drop the main quest line at this point to clean up sidequests? Or does it seem weird given your proximity to the finale?

1. Where does this "point of no return" take place, and does the game telegraph it to you?

3. Does it make narrative sense to drop the main quest line at this point to clean up sidequests? Or does it seem weird given your proximity to the finale?

1. A little over halfway in the game, and the game will warn you when that time comes. Some quests that will get locked out are required if you're looking to complete all the trophies/achievements. Contracts won't get locked though.

2. Story wise, about 35-40%.

3. Side quests and contracts will not scale to your level, so it's best to complete them when you're within 5 levels of the recommended level. Doing them at a higher level will not give you more XP. Also, a fair few of the sidequests are really great and should not be missed.

Currently playing through the main quest line. Looking for a little advice:

I just (Skellige spoilers)
met with Yennifer at the site of the magical explosion and began that series of quests where you follow her around Skellige chasing the trail Ciri left behind.

I've been so wrapped up on the main storyline that I've only done the major sidequests that the game puts in your path, along with a dozen or so other random ones I've come across here and there. I've enjoyed having my playthrough be "thematically consistent," where Geralt engages in the major subplots of the places he visits, but doesn't get too sidetracked while looking for Ciri given the time-sensitive nature of her plight (Wild Hunt's on her trail, etc.).

That said, I want to make sure I leave some time to poke around Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige a bit more before I've reach the "point of no return," so to speak. Do contracts and other sidequests I might become locked out of. A couple questions in this regard:

The main things you'll want to do before the "point of no return" is to help Skellige with their succession issue, check out what's going on Radania (to decide how or if you want to be involved), and do side quests related to Yenn and Triss. Considering where you are, these aren't spoilers as you've already encountered these issues.

SugarDave

Does anyone have a link to a currently working list of console commands for PC? I'm using the latest one to work with patch 1.12 and have been referring to this but some of the commands don't work, particularly some of the ones to get armor.

Finally got this on the ps4. Every time
I sit to play I have to go do something else. Had a couple hours free last night. 17 gig update! Went to bed. Today is the day! Sometime. I hope! Looking forward to it!

Finally got this on the ps4. Every time
I sit to play I have to go do something else. Had a couple hours free last night. 17 gig update! Went to bed. Today is the day! Sometime. I hope! Looking forward to it!

make sure to fill up your 4 consumable slots as soon as possible. there is a bug that if you don't fill them then the framerate starts to drop after about an hour. CDPR know about it and it will probably be fixed in 1.13.

also make sure to download all the free DLC.

make sure to fill utp your 4 consumable slots as soon as possible. there is a bug that if you don't fill them then the framerate starts to drop after about an hour. CDPR know about it and it will probably be fixed in 1.13.

also make sure to download all the free DLC.

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks man.

Coreda

make sure to fill up your 4 consumable slots as soon as possible. there is a bug that if you don't fill them then the framerate starts to drop after about an hour. CDPR know about it and it will probably be fixed in 1.13.

What a peculiar bug.

pots555

I decided to start playing again after stopping in Skellige and I was wondering it the first DLC is worth it. I know it got some good reviews, but I wanted your thoughts on it. Thanks!

I decided to start playing again after stopping in Skellige and I was wondering it the first DLC is worth it. I know it got some good reviews, but I wanted your thoughts on it. Thanks!
Literally every post I have read on here praises the DLC. If you enjoy the base game, you will enjoy it even more.

cackhyena

1. A little over halfway in the game, and the game will warn you when that time comes. Some quests that will get locked out are required if you're looking to complete all the trophies/achievements. Contracts won't get locked though.

2. Story wise, about 35-40%.

3. Side quests and contracts will not scale to your level, so it's best to complete them when you're within 5 levels of the recommended level. Doing them at a higher level will not give you more XP. Also, a fair few of the sidequests are really great and should not be missed.
Wait, I'm not sure where I am, but it feels late game. I'm level 22.
I'm asking people to come back to Kair Morhen... probably butchering the spelling.
I don't recall getting any warnings yet, though.

35 to 40% more? I'm just wondering about where I am percentage wise. I thought I was...fairly close.
You're in the early to mid point of what the guide would call Act 2. Act 1 is bigger than 2 and 3 combined, but you still have plenty to go. You'll be hitting a point of no return warning soon, but that won't be the end game. It'll be a sequence of linear quests that'll eventually open back up to open world at the start of Act 3.

cackhyena

Holy crap. Okay, thanks. I guess I'll be on the main game quite a while longer. I've left so many side quests untouched too. I was thinking maybe I'd get Hearts of Stone out of the way before the new DLC dropped. Not at this rate.

Blood and Wine achievements, in Spanish. Seems everything that was added in 1.12 is coming true. I can't wait to [ B&W gameplay spoiler]
own and upgrade my own vineyard
and
learn the secrets of mutations from Professor Moreau.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QLkBIk8.png[/IMG]

Translation:
The Witcher's Gone South
Travel to the Duchy of Toussaint.

Last Action Hero
Be decorated with the Order of Vitis Vinifera.

Kling of the Clink
Serve time in Toussaint

A Knight to Remember
Obtain a flawless victory in all the competitions during the knights' tourney.

Embodiment of the Five Virtues
Be given Aerondight by the Lady of the Lake.

Playing House
Use all available options for developing Corvo Bianco.

Turned Every Stone
Find all grandmaster diagrams for each witcher school.

I Have a Gwent Problem
Collect all the cards in the Skellige deck.

Dressed to Kill
Unlock the bonus for equipping all the witcher gear elements from one School.

Weapon "W"
Develop a mutation

3 hidden ones

Hasta la Vista™
David and Golyat
The Grapes of Wrath Stomped

ActWan

I'm playing through the game and enjoying it so much, just landed in Ard Skellig and I just can't shake off me how much the music resembles one of the overworld themes in HOMM IV. So someone help me verify if I'm just making this up or not. It might just be the similarity in arrangement, lute/guitar, female vocal and violin. But there's especially a theme the violin plays that immediately made me think of HOMM IV.

Proof I'm not making this up:
Listen to the violin here (1:58-2:22): https://youtu.be/gokhBJWSjeM?t=1m57s

And then listen to this violin: https://youtu.be/obK-k848Vto?t=29m26s

Did anyone else think of the HOMM IV OST when you heard the Ard Skellig theme?

edit: Old news apparently, it's based on a gaelic song called 'Fear a' Bhàta', and they've probably both used the same sample.

GODDAMMIT. First with MGS now with this...Why are my favourite themes copying other themes??? :(

GODDAMMIT. First with MGS now with this...Why are my favourite themes copying other themes??? :(

Fear a' Bhàta is in the public domain. Lots of different people have used it. You're getting upset when there's nothing wrong.

Fields of Ard Skellig also isn't a "copy". It's an original melody. Go listen to what the original song sounds like.

Flipyap

Fear a' Bhàta is in the public domain. Lots of different people have used it. You're getting upset when there's nothing wrong.

Fields of Ard Skellig also isn't a "copy". It's an original melody. Go listen to what the original song sounds like.
Do you happen to know if the ambient vocal track that sometimes plays outside Novigrad originates from some classical composition, or if it's emulating some specific musical style? I feel like I've heard the exact same choir in some Ass Creed games.

https://youtu.be/gwt4mYRieDw?t=25s

ActWan

Look at this link bro. This is one of many adaptations of old scotish song called Fear a Bhata

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_a'_Bhàta

Edit: damn beaten again ;)

I wasn't talking about the whole song, look at the comment I quoted. Just this specific violin part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obK-k848Vto&feature=youtu.be&t=29m26s
I listened to some adaptations of the song and none of them had that violin part...

SmilingCat

Neo Member
Hey finally getting around to starting this game and wanted to know from people that have spent some time with the game it if I should start with movement response as standard or alternative? I'll play around with the setting myself a bit just wanted to know what you prefer. I personally don't mind physically weighted movement like say Euhpria phsyics in GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption.

Thanks for any feedback.

JJShadow

So I started the game a few months ago in PC, put about 40 hours on it but I eventually abandoned it because my PC got broken, a shame because I was loving it. Now I'm thinking about starting it again on PS4, but during my PC playthrough, I remember not understanding 100% the story and lore, I got most of the basic story-wise points but I missed a lot of details regarding characters, lands, etc.

I think it's normal because I didn't play the previous games or read the books, but I'd like to have a general idea of what's going on with each character, their context, etc. So, do you know about any detailed articles/videos that could put me into context as much as possible before starting again?

MadYarpen

There are books available in english (almost all of them I think), and I cannot recommend them enough. You could go to wikipedia, but seriously. Books are something else.

Also, make sure you read the journal.

Blood and Wine achievements, in Spanish. Seems everything that was added in 1.12 is coming true. I can't wait to [ B&W gameplay spoiler]
own and upgrade my own vineyard
and
learn the secrets of mutations from Professor Moreau.

So another Witcher 1 throwback with
The Lady of the Lake giving us the Aerondight silver sword again.
. Can't wait for that and to see how it fits into the game.
Maybe we'll be able to romance her again ;)

There are books available in english (almost all of them I think), and I cannot recommend them enough. You could go to wikipedia, but seriously. Books are something else.

Also, make sure you read the journal.

here in the UK the only books yet to be released are Tower of Swallows and Lady of the Lake. Seasons of Storms too but not sure if that will ever be translated. Tower of Swallows is coming out later this month and Lady of the Lake will be same time in 2017.

MadYarpen

So another Witcher 1 throwback with
The Lady of the Lake giving us the Aerondight silver sword again.
. Can't wait for that and to see how it fits into the game.
Maybe we'll be able to romance her again ;)

here in the UK the only books yet to be released are Tower of Swallows and Lady of the Lake. Seasons of Storms too but not sure if that will ever be translated. Tower of Swallows is coming out later this month and Lady of the Lake will be same time in 2017.

Yep, so that is the way to get familiar with the lore.

And season of storms is not necessary.

Nere

Come on CDPR when will we get news for Blood and Wine??? Though they wanted to launch it before E3, that is a bit over a month from now, we need news!!!

Come on CDPR when will we get news for Blood and Wine??? Though they wanted to launch it before E3, that is a bit over a month from now, we need news!!!

i've seen 10th May mentioned but who knows. All we officially have is that we'll get more info this month. If they leave it to the week of the 16th then they will be cutting it close I think. Next week looks good.

i've seen 10th May mentioned but who knows. All we officially have is that we'll get more info this month. If they leave it to the week of the 16th then they will be cutting it close I think. Next week looks good.

May 10th is when the embargo lifts. Marcin has also said that there will be news next week.

Go to the 10 minute mark here.

"When will we be seeing some footage of that? I think on May 10th is when the embargo lifts..."

"Yeah, there should be footage out by then. *nods head*"

Coreda

The Witcher 3 will be one of the first few games to support Nvidia's new Ansel driver-level screenshot capture tool. Kudos to dmr87 for the thread in gaming.

Allows for capturing 360° panoramas, 32x regular resolution, freecam, HDR, etc. Seems like time freezing would also be supported but that hasn't been demonstrated yet. The future of screenshotting is here. More from the site.

EGOMON

Just finished the game and god damn what a journey, GOTY material indeed.
Amazing even after finishing the game and every quest possible i found it hard to quit the game i was just looking at the screen and world looking for something to do i didn't want to say goodbye to the game.

Thank you CDRP for the amazing game, one of my all time favorite for sure.
My character and playtime stats:
Ch2jdCMWsAAypMO.jpg:large

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just reallocated my skill points before starting Hearts of Stone. Had a Signs build and it was good fun, but I felt like a change of pace so I decided to try out the Potions and stuff.

Damn.

It's one hell of a build.

I have never-ending, extra strong Oils, Potions and Decoctions, lots of insanely op Bombs to throw around, and about two thousand more points of Vitality.

I think I like it.

Omni

I need help. Hearts of Stone. Going through it for the first time.

Objective says "Recruit the rest of the crew and prepare for the robbery. 2/3".
But there's no marker or anything on my map telling me where to go. I got sidetracked for like... four hours doing side stuff and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

MadYarpen

I need help. Hearts of Stone. Going through it for the first time.

Objective says "Recruit the rest of the crew and prepare for the robbery. 2/3".
But there's no marker or anything on my map telling me where to go. I got sidetracked for like... four hours doing side stuff and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

and who have you already recruited?

"Over 20 hours" - I bet for me it will be between 30 and 40.

The Hearts of Stone page says it is over 10 hours and that took me 17 hours. If Blood & Wine is anything like that then 30 hours will be easily done. Since this is the last expansion and the end of The Witcher 3 (as far as we know) then I'll be savouring every minute of it.

MadYarpen

The Hearts of Stone page says it is over 10 hours and that took me 17 hours. If Blood & Wine is anything like that then 30 hours will be easily done. Since this is the last expansion and the end of The Witcher 3 (as far as we know) then I'll be savouring every minute of it.

yeah, that's my point. It definitely took me more than 10 hours.

Top Bottom