• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Artdayne

What do you guys do when a weapon smith/armor smith runs out of money? Do they ever replenish?

I think they'll earn back a bit but generally you have to find other vendors. There are so many various vendors in the world that you can sell to and the biggest way that weapon smith/armor smiths end up making back a lot of money is from selling high level Witcher gear to you.

Is it me or does it seem like the game is more stingy with loot in Heart of Stone compared to the base game?

Getting garbage out of these hidden treasures and camps..............

ParityBit

Is there a way to grind for money? I know some people say they have a ton of cash, but I do not really, yet I do not buy much either. I just repair and sell what I find when I can find a merchant with money!

I am level 17 and still in Valen though (Soon to move on)

MadYarpen

Is there a way to grind for money? I know some people say they have a ton of cash, but I do not really, yet I do not buy much either. I just repair and sell what I find when I can find a merchant with money!

Don't wait with the trip to Skellige. Seriously.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Don't be afraid to loot. Repair kits are generously generated and even the inconsequential items such as crappy swords do eventually add up to a pretty penny. Outside of repair/crafting/dismantling fees, though, there's little need for money.

Ohnonono

So I seem to be pretty underleveled compared to the game suggestions. I am playing on easy because I am just trying to get through this thing and see the amazing story stuff. Combat being easy is not that big a deal to me. That said I am partially through a quest where you meet a Witch, then I will be moving on to the Bloody Baron quest. I am level 4. Is this a pretty normal thing early game or did I move out of the opening area unusually fast?

54-46!

Is it possible to set up custom key binds for switching between different bombs and the crossbow? without having to resort to using a mod that is.

I don't like using the radial menu since I already use instant Sign casting.

Started my first play through yesterday, only an hour or so in but I'm enjoying it so far, graphics look amazing.

lqs8nT5.gif

kpWJ1X2.gif

stn

The best you can hope for is backward compatibility for TW2 on Xbox One. It's not coming to PS4, no way.
TW2 is actually already BC on XBone. On another note, just started Blood & Wine after beating Hearts. Total game time is 60 hours. How long does the main quest of Blood take?

M.D

I've just come back to the game after taking a break from it and I forget what happened in one of the last quest lines I completed (or did I actually?)

Its the one at the
mansion, with the killer? I don't remember the entire story-line around that but I do remember him killing the mother of the lady who hires me? And the smuggling of her son was related?
Can anyone tell me the name of the quest so I can read up on it to refresh my memory?

I've just come back to the game after taking a break from it and I forget what happened in one of the last quest lines I completed (or did I actually?)

Its the one at the
mansion, with the killer? I don't remember the entire story-line around that but I do remember him killing the mother of the lady who hires me? And the smuggling of her son was related?
Can anyone tell me the name of the quest so I can read up on it to refresh my memory?

What city were you hanging around then? I dont remember too much about that quest.

I respec'd into a sign/sword build and use wolf swords and chest armor and griffin everything else to get the casting bonus and not look like a fatass and to get the benefits of the wolf gear. I use rage management so I can cast quite a lot rapidly and I use piercing cold which is insane. I can control the battlefield and if I get hit I can keep casting and ekhidna will heal. Pretty fun change of pace.

Luxorek

Its the one at the

Carnal Sins - IMO one of the better TW3 quests.

ParityBit

So I tried playing Gwent in the game. I bought every card I could find and I can't freaking win against the FIRST guy I am trying to win against.
I am in the Triss quest at the ball and the first guy has like 20 level 10 guys that he keeps popping out every round. how the hell do I beat this fucker. I new there is a reason I never played Gwent in this stupid game.

So I'm pretty deep into Hearts of Stone, I'm at the
temple of levlani.
Hoo-boy, I understand why it gets so much praise now because the writing is absolutely outstanding. The
Dead Man's Party quest was absolutely hilarious and Vlodomir was amazing. The dialogue is also hilarious during the heist mission during the negotiations if you decide to ask for a joke then ask if the guards a racist.

HoS seems to expand the map somewhat and fill it in more, in several directions. Then Blood and Wine adds White Orchards which are off the main map?

I am still so conflicted on finishing this on PS4 after a several month hiatus, or rebuying on PC with all expansions and add some "comfort" and balance mods like leveling Witcher gear and whatnot and do it over in full still on the big TV. It's been so long I forgot most of it, so I would have a blast either way.

Go PC. I did and never looked back.

So I tried playing Gwent in the game. I bought every card I could find and I can't freaking win against the FIRST guy I am trying to win against.
I am in the Triss quest at the ball and the first guy has like 20 level 10 guys that he keeps popping out every round. how the hell do I beat this fucker. I new there is a reason I never played Gwent in this stupid game.

What deck are you using? Use Northern Realms and let the AI win the first round by wasting cards. Hope you have some spy and decoy cards.

It's kind of your fault you're losing. If you never bothered to play Gwent before this quest, then you haven't learned much and also missed out on a lot of cards than can only be obtained by beating vendors at Gwent...

ParityBit

What deck are you using? Use Northern Realms and let the AI win the first round by wasting cards. Hope you have some spy and decoy cards.

It's kind of your fault you're losing. If you never bothered to play Gwent before this quest, then you haven't learned much and also missed out on a lot of cards than can only be obtained by beating vendors at Gwent...

Well I can probably back up to some other save just before starting that quest and play venders to get more cards. I was playing the Witcher for the witcher, not a side game.

So should I just go to every vender I see/know of and play them? Is it beat them once and then move on?

Gwent is an integral part of The Witcher, so much so that CDPR even made a fully fledged standalone game of it because fans wanted it (and it's awesome!)

Yes, any vendor (usually barkeeps, traders, special NPC) that have an option to play Gwent will award you with a card when you beat them the first time.

ParityBit

Yeah I have the Beta on my PC. Part of the reason I did not want to get into it within the Witcher and outside of it. but I will do what I have to do. Since I have not really played anywhere in the game, I guess I can go back to the starting areas and go from there.

Yeah I have the Beta on my PC. Part of the reason I did not want to get into it within the Witcher and outside of it. but I will do what I have to do. Since I have not really played anywhere in the game, I guess I can go back to the starting areas and go from there.
I'm not sure if you can half-arse it (maybe someone else can clarify). Personally I'd be all in, or all out with Gwent: either fully into it from the start so that you can gradually learn the game against appropriate opponents and win every possible card to build your deck, or just ignore it entirely throughout the game. There are a couple of quests that involve it, but if you're happy to skip Gwent you probably shouldn't worry about skipping those quests either.

ParityBit

So I started the Gwent stuff. Is there anyway to know roughly who has cards to get? I have only been around Velen, so it is mainly that map. I have the book which tells me what area I need cards .... just not really who has them. I did one quest for them and tried
The inn keepers
but the first deck was really hard.

A couple of merchants I played gave me common cards I already had which was disappointing. I can still only play one deck.

There are guides on the internet (gamefaqs, ps3trophies, etc) that will have what you're looking for.

Each deck has multiples of some cards, so it's not like if you get the same card again it's not useful.

Ordered Witcher 3: Complete for $30 from Amazon back in November and they still haven't got it back in stock and don't have an estimated date. Anyone else stuck waiting too? Really want to dig in!

So I started the Gwent stuff. Is there anyway to know roughly who has cards to get? I have only been around Velen, so it is mainly that map. I have the book which tells me what area I need cards .... just not really who has them. I did one quest for them and tried
The inn keepers

A couple of merchants I played gave me common cards I already had which was disappointing. I can still only play one deck.

Go to the inkeeps and buy all the cards they have. Play the shopkeepers/inkeeps/blacksmiths around the world. It may take a few tries for some, but most of their decks are pretty easy. The only tough ones are the people you face through quests. Stick to the Northern Realms deck. Early on, make sure to have at least two decoys and two commander's horns in your deck. I think both can be bought from inkeeps.

It may take a bit (especially if you don't really like playing gwent) but eventually you will start getting better and better cards. Keep at it!

The inn keepers

The Gwent stuff in this game makes me so thirsty for the spinoff game. I can't wait for the actual release.
Just, buy cards from merchants and play people. You'll get enough cards to do something with the decks. I've only ever played Northern Realms decks and won about 90% of the matches I played. Once you get enough decent cards, it's pretty hard to lose.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you have played and beaten a bartender or merchant the dialogue should be greyed out, from memory. Doesn't mean you can't play them again (by all means do so), but is usually an indicator you've "completed" that dialogue tree. Which in the case for Gwent means you've secured the card.

Play everyone who can be played, defeat them to get the goods.

Check every merchant's inventory.

Romance spoilers

So for the base game I
settled down with Triss
. For hearts of stone and blood and wine is there any reference or downside of
sleeping with someone else? I don't just have the option to say I'm taken already?

If you have played and beaten a bartender or merchant the dialogue should be greyed out, from memory. Doesn't mean you can't play them again (by all means do so), but is usually an indicator you've "completed" that dialogue tree. Which in the case for Gwent means you've secured the card.

It doesn't do this for me on the PS4 version and I've been playing a lot lately.

I checked the "gwent guide" book and it says I'm missing one unique card and I have no idea who has it.

edit: this is the "complete edition" btw

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Thankfully, CDPR made it so that if the Gwent quest fails if you do something that prevents you from obtaining the cards.

ParityBit

Okay I started going though and playing everyone I can find.

When I look at the book it says I have 8 people left in Velen, does that include quest people? Also, is the book a complete listing, or only places I have visited?

On my first play through and while the combat takes a little getting used to I'm really liking the game so far.

Any advice on:
1) Should I sell everything?
2) Should I dismantle everything, seems expensive?
3) Should I be buying equipment?
4) Any advice on skills? It seems a little overwhelming with all of the choices. So far I've done fast attack and the increased witcher mind trick thing.
5) I accidentally skipped the Gwent tutorial. I don't really have an interest in playing, is this ok? Is it a mistake not to play?

Artdayne

On my first play through and while the combat takes a little getting used to I'm really liking the game so far.

Any advice on:
4) Any advice on skills? It seems a little overwhelming with all of the choices. So far I've done fast attack and the increased witcher mind trick thing.
5) I accidentally skipped the Gwent tutorial. I don't really have an interest in playing, is this ok? Is it a mistake not to play?

It is a mistake not to play Gwent. Gwent is amazing.

I would avoid dismantling until you need to dismantle for some of the Witcher sets.

M.D

Make sure you meet up with Yennifer before you pick up Uma.

Oh yeah, did that! Neat little quest that was ;)

BTW, What should I do about side quests? I am level 20 and already out-leveled a lot of the side-quests. Should I do them now or it doesn't matter at this point when I do them?

Gwent is awful

anyway I was kinda meh on the main game but I'm enjoying Hearts of Stone a lot, the quest with the auction house is pretty great

maybe it's the streamlined focus or ditching characters I don't give a shit about (ciri, yen)

the lessened focus on witcher senses definitely helps too

Gwent is awful

anyway I was kinda meh on the main game but I'm enjoying Hearts of Stone a lot, the quest with the auction house is pretty great

maybe it's the streamlined focus or ditching characters I don't give a shit about (ciri, yen)

the lessened focus on witcher senses definitely helps too

i can't even

i can't even

You meet them for the first time in the 3rd game of a trilogy and CDPR expects you to be best buds with them, nah

weakest part of the writing of the game to me was that CDPR relied on nostalgia/relationships that were never actually established in the (video game) series

there's a reason the bloody baron, towerful of mice and an craite (sp?) quests stood out more than the main game for me

You meet them for the first time in the 3rd game of a trilogy and CDPR expects you to be best buds with them, nah

weakest part of the writing of the game to me was that CDPR relied on nostalgia/relationships that were never actually established in the (video game) series

there's a reason the bloody baron, towerful of mice and an craite (sp?) quests stood out more than the main game for me

Their established relationships made me all the more interested in reading into them further. Plus the plot is easily understandable enough to be invested in some regard to the main characters.

54-46!

I went in to this ignoring my Tw1 and Tw2 saves, treating them as Geralt's hazy memories heh. It's going to be interesting to see what the "canon" choices are.

Artdayne

Saying Gwent is "awful" is just a drive by shitpost, and can be dismissed as such unless you care to elaborate your opinion. I'm sure that would be pretty entertaining. LOL

CDPR actually explained the significance of Yennifer through flashbacks in Witcher 2 and while you only saw her through memories they did lay the ground work. It makes me think you didn't play the previous Witcher games.

Ciri is even referenced in Witcher 1, and her abilities are very reminiscent of Alvin/Jaques De Aldersberg. I wouldn't blame you on missing out on the Ciri reference though because it was really more of a nod to book readers.

Ciri was very well portrayed, well acted and well written. I didn't care too much for the main story because I thought the Wild Hunt was underdeveloped but Ciri was a character that most people emphasized with, IMO.

The Bloody Baron is part of the main game. There are some offshooting side quests that fully explain his story but really I feel like you're missing the point of the game when you segment out side quests and main quests so rigidly because the game is designed in such a way that the side quests flow out of the main quests very organically. It is what makes the writing, acting, dialogue, everything is very consistently done at a very high level which you almost never see, particularly in games with the scope of Witcher 3.

CHC

Any advice on:

1) Only sell items that have weight. Mainly enemy weapons, armor, and stuff like pelts, plates and things in the misc category. The rest (alchemy items, jewels, etc) is weightless and potentially useful later for crafting, so try to keep it. If you're in a bind you can sell an emerald, or a ruby or something or something for some spare gold, but try to keep all the crafting supplies at least until you know what you need. Also don't forget to visit the bank to convert your foreign coins - can really add up.

2) Dismantling is only useful if you have runestones equipped in a sword (destroys the sword but keeps the stones), or if you need a certain material and you can get it by dismantling. Dismantling can also make monster guts "generic" - i.e; dismantle a "drowner brain" into "monster brain" if you need one for a recipe. Can come in handy but no need to dismantle everything at all.

3) No, not really. You should be able to get decent items from quest and looting, until you find plans to craft the various Witcher armors and swords - those are generally the way to go. Plus the quests to find the plans are surprisingly cool and interesting.

4) The mind trick is a good one, yes. Sword builds are solid and fun - try to get whirl. It allows you to simply hold down the light attack button to do a nearly endless whirling onslaught. Also the skill that reduces damage from dodged attack by 100% is very good too.

5) Gwent is fun but 100% optional. Try it a couple times but it basically never comes into play in the main game. The tournament quests are cool though, but its mostly a self contained thing. You don't really miss much by not playing.

Top Bottom