• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

stn

Beat this yesterday, what a ride. Debating where I want to put it in my top 10. Got what I assume is the canon ending where
Ciri becomes a witcher.
Planning to start the DLC's tonight, heard great things. Any word of a sequel or spin-off featuring different characters?

ParityBit

Is it worth crafting non-witcher equipment/stuff your level? When I do a quick look at the stats, they are always arrow down on most of the stats to the level 1-2 crap I am wearing.

Outside of the actual damage/armor rating.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Beat this yesterday, what a ride. Debating where I want to put it in my top 10. Got what I assume is the canon ending where
Ciri becomes a witcher.
Planning to start the DLC's tonight, heard great things. Any word of a sequel or spin-off featuring different characters?

CDPR said they are (unfortunately) done with the Witcher series.
Maybe they come back to it after Cyberpunk 2077.

hydruxo

CDPR said they are (unfortunately) done with the Witcher series.
Maybe they come back to it after Cyberpunk 2077.

Nah they said they're done with Geralt's story. They've hinted the series may come back with different characters. Would be dumb for CDPR to just flatout say they're done with the series they're most known for.

The quality of writing in the obscure books you stumble across is also top-notch.

Tide
Whenever I watch the tide recede
Cold coils of fear grip round my heart.
Will the seas sneak back, calm and sure
In the dark of night, as they have before?
Or will they stay on distant shores
Leaving crushed shells and washed-up dreams
As memory of surfs of yore
?

The game has a lot of dry wit as well. Just been replaying it and there's a lot of moments that make me laugh which is rare for a videogame.

Was doing the master armorers quest and got a good chuckle when
the general wants to test out the armor and that guy is like "I'm just here to shoe me horse"

:p

Artdayne

Ciri becomes a witcher.

I'm not sure there is a canon ending. Though I believe the ending where
Ciri becomes Empress is the best ending. I've played through the game 4 times and I've played with both the Witcher and the Empress ending and the Empress ending felt a bit more fleshed out and more fulfilling.

Alright guys, help me out here.

After a year and a half of avoiding it for various reasons, I'm finally trying to give this game a chance due to all the positive praise it gets. According to reviews you would think this was the greatest game of all time. But I'm finding it really frustrating.

So far I've been seemingly forced into two bar brawls that I can't run away from due to poor (or meaningless, I can't tell) dialog choices. I want to play the main story and get the job done without causing trouble or being a jerk. But it seems like the game just wants you to fight random dudes in bars and I kinda hate that.

Does the game go on like this? I was led to believe there's a lot of choice in what you can do, but giving me limited options is not really endearing me to the experience. I'm also playing on the easiest difficulty and getting ravaged by random wild dogs that I don't even want to be fighting. What gives?

JustinBB7

Alright guys, help me out here.

After a year and a half of avoiding it for various reasons, I'm finally trying to give this game a chance due to all the positive praise it gets. According to reviews you would think this was the greatest game of all time. But I'm finding it really frustrating.

So far I've been seemingly forced into two bar brawls that I can't run away from due to poor (or meaningless, I can't tell) dialog choices. I want to play the main story and get the job done without causing trouble or being a jerk. But it seems like the game just wants you to fight random dudes in bars and I kinda hate that.

Does the game go on like this? I was led to believe there's a lot of choice in what you can do, but giving me limited options is not really endearing me to the experience. I'm also playing on the easiest difficulty and getting ravaged by random wild dogs that I don't even want to be fighting. What gives?

There will be more random fights/brawls like that yes. Choices matter, but some situations will still happen.

If you're having trouble on the easiest difficulty this game is just not for you though. One of the games few issues is that it's too easy and only playing on the highest difficulty gives you the real experience. The game is really easy on normal, can't imagine how you are dying to wild dogs on easy of all things.

Coreda

In my playthrough there were only two instances of brawls like that in the entire game that I can remember seemingly not having a choice. It's not exactly representative of the rest of narrative.

As for beasts like dogs if you're just beginning and they're a higher level than you then you'll need to engage in combat carefully. Using sword blocking will reduce hits, and along with signs and Beast oil (if you have it yet) helps. You can also run away from combat situations if it's proving too challenging. After leveling a bit more and becoming more used to the available tools you'll find it easier.

As for beasts like dogs if you're just beginning and they're a higher level than you then you'll need to engage in combat carefully. Using sword blocking will reduce hits, and along with signs and Beast oil (if you have it yet) helps. You can also run away from combat situations if it's proving too challenging. After leveling a bit more and becoming more used to the available tools you'll find it easier.

Yeah, I just don't think this is the game for me... I was hoping to beeline through the main quest just for the story of it. In fact, putting the game on the lowest difficulty basically even says "for people who just want to experience the story." But I'm just not in the mood right now to be messing with a bunch of systems and inventory management and stuff to do that.

Welp, on to something else. Thanks for the input!

Coreda

Yeah, I just don't think this is the game for me... I was hoping to beeline through the main quest just for the story of it. In fact, putting the game on the lowest difficulty basically even says "for people who just want to experience the story."

Not sure quite what you were expecting with that setting as the game is pretty upfront about being a monster slayer, and completing quests (the primary way of gaining experience and thus leveling higher to be able to complete later quests) frequently relates to ultimately completing tasks like killing a foe. The story is intertwined with this. Well worth the experience though. On the easiest difficulty it shouldn't be terribly challenging but I'm sure what you've previously come from playing.

Oh, it's not part of the OST. :(

It's a lovely track. Part of what made Gwent so calming.

Not sure quite what you were expecting with that setting as the game is pretty upfront about being a monster slayer, and completing quests (the primary way of gaining experience and thus leveling higher to be able to complete later quests) frequently relates to ultimately completing tasks like killing a foe. The story is intertwined with this. Well worth the experience though. On the easiest difficulty it shouldn't be terribly challenging but I'm sure what you've previously come from playing.

It's not that I'm incapable of playing it, I can handle difficult games when it comes down to it. I'm just not in the mood for that kind of experience right now. Looking for something light on mechanics, and it seems like there's really no way around dealing with all the systems at play here.

Did everything but some Gwent cards hiding in Velen. Maybe do NG+ later and go for all the achievements.

Highpoint was the witcher's truth or dare party.

Lowpoint was the Skellige smuggler's caches and finding out Shani has no Gwent card.

MadYarpen

I'm not sure there is a canon ending. Though I believe the ending where
Ciri becomes Empress is the best ending. I've played through the game 4 times and I've played with both the Witcher and the Empress ending and the Empress ending felt a bit more fleshed out and more fulfilling.

This ending was super heart - breaking though. At least for me. I can't remember any other game which made me so emotional. I guess they did a great job with this one.
E: and I knew what was coming, since it was my 2nd playthrough.

WeTeHa

Crafted the full griffon set today and put it on once i hit level 11. Combat is a lot more fun now that I have super fast stamina regen, leveled up signs and greater blue mutagens.
Definitely going to make a sign build, it's just awesome.

ParityBit

Crafted the full griffon set today and put it on once i hit level 11. Combat is a lot more fun now that I have super fast stamina regen, leveled up signs and greater blue mutagens.
Definitely going to make a sign build, it's just awesome.

Where is the weaponsmith that can craft the weapons?

Coreda

:) Love the OST.

Any idea what the name of the dance is? Not the initial upbeat polka, but the latter half. Is it some variant of polonaise?

I'm not that familiar with dance types :) Was a standout moment from the expansion though.

The quality of writing in the obscure books you stumble across is also top-notch.

Tide
Whenever I watch the tide recede
Cold coils of fear grip round my heart.
Will the seas sneak back, calm and sure
In the dark of night, as they have before?
Or will they stay on distant shores
Leaving crushed shells and washed-up dreams
As memory of surfs of yore
?

Can't recall finding this one. Would be a pleasant addition.

ParityBit

Oxenfurt has a weaponsmith and armorsmith that can craft everything BUT the master-crafted stuff (you need do quests to unlock the people capable of making those).

Heh. Figures, I have been exploring the southern part of the map. I always go my own way in RPG's which is opposite where I should be going! Figures. lol

I will head up that way I guess.

I'm finally gonna play hearts of stone and blood and wine

how can I make sure I use the save file where I beat the game already? still pissy I got the
ciri becomes a witcher
ending for the base game though, only reason that happened was because I assumed I'd be able to see the emperor again

I beat the game last summer and loved it. I began NG+ shortly after to play it completely with Gwent and all that. I stopped at some point, because I found myself skipping dialogue and cutscenes. Its not how I wanted to experience it again.
Anyway, a few days ago I bought the Hearts of Stone DLC while it was on sale. It felt like the right time to pick it up again. I know I can just jump right to the content, but I wanted to develop a history for Geralt on NG+ before I got to it.
My only problem now is that I want to experience it in a new way, but my original playthrough solidified my choices and story path as the best one. Deciding to turn down Yen to be with Triss feels so wrong. Hahaha. I, personally, like Triss more but Geralt is not me. I'm playing deciding what I believe Geralt would do. This is just an example of a larger issue Im having, but the easiest one to cite. Its hard making choices that defy a character you've built in your mind. And I think its fantastic the game makes me feel this way.
I dont think any other game has made me feel so conflicted about the choices I make. And its not because the choices are morally gray, they arent at all. Its because Im not playing a virtual version of myself.

Anyway, Im enjoying my second playthrough regardless and cant wait to get to the DLC.

Started back playing the Witcher 3 again lol. So I know there are three endings... I can see myself only really beating the game once since it's so massive, so I'd like to get the "best" ending. I know the endings are basically:
Ciri dies, or she lives and becomes a Witcher or she lives in becomes the Empress.
Which one do people prefer as the best outcome? I would think the
Witcher one would be kind of fitting, but also a bit sad. Couldn't she prove more useful as an Empress and make changes?

Started back playing the Witcher 3 again lol. So I know there are three endings... I can see myself only really beating the game once since it's so massive, so I'd like to get the "best" ending. I know the endings are basically:
Ciri dies, or she lives and becomes a Witcher or she lives in becomes the Empress.
Witcher one would be kind of fitting, but also a bit sad. Couldn't she prove more useful as an Empress and make changes?

The Ending with
Ciri as the Emperess seemed more meloncholy. I believed she really wanted to be a witcher and not have any ties to Aristocracy.

The Ending with
Ciri as the Emperess seemed more meloncholy. I believed she really wanted to be a witcher and not have any ties to Aristocracy.

Yeah that's the only reason why I would be against that ending. I'm kinda conflicted. Without going into detail,
does she seem happy being a Witcher? I guess she would be the first female one?

For me the best ending is
the one where she becomes a Witcher. The empress one I think is a bit more developed but that's not the world I want. I want Ciri out there slaying monsters.

Yeah that's the only reason why I would be against that ending. I'm kinda conflicted. Without going into detail,
does she seem happy being a Witcher? I guess she would be the first female one?

As an emperess she mentions that she wants to go adventuring with Geralt, but Geralt tells her that she can make more significant changes with her new status. There is crying involved
IIRC

For me the best ending is
the one where she becomes a Witcher. The empress one I think is a bit more developed but that's not the world I want. I want Ciri out there slaying monsters.

As an emperess she mentions that she wants to go adventuring with Geralt, but Geralt tells her that she can make more significant changes with her new status. There is crying involved
IIRC

Hmm... I'm really thinking I'll do the ending with
her being a Witcher based on the things I've read. I feel like it fits her character more... Does anyone actually prefer the Empress ending?

her being a Witcher based on the things I've read. I feel like it fits her character more... Does anyone actually prefer the Empress ending?
I do, wanted it too but because of one stupid choice it didn't happen, whatever.

Anyway I'm playing hearts of stone and y'all are gonna hate me but I dislike the combat more than I remember. Is there a way to guard break people or do I have to use signs or wait for them to stop blocking?

-Deimos

I chose the
empress
ending. It fits more with the lore I think, at least with the books.

If you get the
Witcher
ending and beat Blood and Wine (small B&W "easter egg" spoiler)
it turns out that Ciri decided to split from Geralt and go hunting on her own for a while cause 'independence' or something. At least, that's the reason CDPR came up with for why Ciri isn't in the expansion.
Kind of a shitty ending honestly and goes against the whole reason Ciri wanted to become a Witcher in the first place, which was
to spend time with Geralt.

Having finished reading all the 6 books, I've come to the conclusion that Ciri
becoming Empress
is her destiny according to others but Ciri
becoming a Witcher
is the destiny she wanted.

MadYarpen

Is this the order to read them?

1. The Last Wish.
  2. The Sword of Destiny.
  3. Blood of Elves.
  4. Times of Contempt.
  5. Baptism of Fire.
  6. The Swallow's Tower.
Yeah,
Last wish and sword of destiny - short stories preceding the saga.

Blood of elves, time of contempt, baptism of fire, swallows tower and the lady of the lake - thats the main saga. I don't know if the last one is translated yet, so you may have to look for fan translations (I've read good things about these).

Artdayne

YES! I prefer it by far. It's not close for me.

First of all, to get that ending you fulfill every "win" condition there is to ensure Ciri's survival. Second of all, Ciri chooses to be an Empress. She chooses to see Emhyr as well, the only difference is Geralt doesn't withhold information about Emhyr wanting to see her. I will admit that the way that choice manifests itself could have been written a bit better but all in all it still leads to the superior ending, IMO.

The ending feels more developed, and yes it's a pretty sad ending but since when is that a bad thing? A lot of great films and TV shows have sad endings. It's sad because Geralt and Ciri will see very little of each other again and that's why Ciri is crying. Ciri will without question have a far greater influence on the world by being Empress she even says as much herself. Understand, what leads Ciri to choosing the Empress path is Geralt's continuous support for Ciri to make her own decisions and a display of a deep sense of gratitude and love for Ciri. That's how you get that ending. Does it mean that Ciri can't live a carefree lifestyle the rest of her days? Yes. But let's be real here, she's still the Empress she'll live a pretty good life.

I do, wanted it too but because of one stupid choice it didn't happen, whatever.

Anyway I'm playing hearts of stone and y'all are gonna hate me but I dislike the combat more than I remember. Is there a way to guard break people or do I have to use signs or wait for them to stop blocking?

Hearts of Stone is noticeably harder than the vanilla game so if you don't have a good understanding of the combat system I have a feeling you're going to continue to hate it more and more. As to your guard break question, you can use signs, you can use bombs, I'm pretty sure you can use Rend, and you can use Whirl. Whirl for sure will rapidly deteriorate their defense meter if you want to call it that, and I'm pretty sure Rend works the same way.

Having finished reading all the 6 books, I've come to the conclusion that Ciri
becoming Empress
is her destiny according to others but Ciri
becoming a Witcher
is the destiny she wanted.

YES! I prefer it by far. It's not close for me.

First of all, to get that ending you fulfill every "win" condition there is to ensure Ciri's survival. Second of all, Ciri chooses to be an Empress. She chooses to see Emhyr as well, the only difference is Geralt doesn't withhold information about Emhyr wanting to see her. I will admit that the way that choice manifests itself could have been written a bit better but all in all it still leads to the superior ending, IMO.

The ending feels more developed, and yes it's a pretty sad ending but since when is that a bad thing? A lot of great films and TV shows have sad endings. It's sad because Geralt and Ciri will see very little of each other again and that's why Ciri is crying. Ciri will without question have a far greater influence on the world by being Empress she even says as much herself. Understand, what leads Ciri to choosing the Empress path is Geralt's continuous support for Ciri to make her own decisions and a display of a deep sense of gratitude and love for Ciri. That's how you get that ending. Does it mean that Ciri can't live a carefree lifestyle the rest of her days? Yes. But let's be real here, she's still the Empress she'll live a pretty good life.

Now I'm back to being conflicted lol. :(

I'm doing the Ugly Baby main quest now. How close am I to the end?

Would anyone in this thread like a GOG code for the first Witcher game? Got a code for free but already own it. Emailed it as a gift to myself but assuming the code will work.

Let me know, thanks!

Luxorek

wtf really? lol It feels like I'm near the end. I'm
recruiting people to come to the Witcher home and about to go get Ciri from the Isle of Mist or whatever it is.
That's really halfway? o_O

Duuuude, you don't even know.

Then it's on to Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine - it's like another 40 hours combined.

lol jesus. There goes my plan to try to beat it this weekend before classes start back on Monday. :p
Hahaha, yeah. There is a lot of content. I might recommend beating the base game and doing the DLC when you have time.

Im currently in the same area :)
Just did the skellige bit.

Hahaha, yeah. There is a lot of content. I might recommend beating the base game and doing the DLC when you have time.

Im currently in the same area :)
Just did the skellige bit.

You're certainly past the half-way point, especially if you have completed most side-quests already.

I doubt I have completed "most" sidequests, but definitely quite a few. Despite wanting to do all the major sidequests (since they seem great), I don't know if I will. The game is so daunting in how much there is to do (and a lot of it being worthwhile content) lol.

Question about the two DLCs. Are there new areas to explore in them or did they just add quests to the existing areas? By "areas", I mean brand new locations on the map to explore like "Velen" or "Skellige".

Top Bottom