• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Anteater

spoilers spoilers

omg no
noooooooooooooooooooooioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Vesemir

omg no
noooooooooooooooooooooioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Vesemir
image.php

teokrazia

Anybody have any tips for me before everything opens up and I leave White Orchard? This is my first Witcher game so I'm sure there's some things I haven't even thought of

Once you learned the basics of interface, turn off question marks on the map. The game, as organic experience, will gain ALOT.
Get used to select directly Signs [if playing with K+M] or cycle them with Block + Left/Right on D-Pad [if with a controller].
Use lock-on only when bomb's quick aiming fails the target, to quickshot some foes with the crossbow or take 'cinematic' screenshots. For the rest is superfluous/annoying/detrimental. Manual camera is all you need to rock hard while dance with elegance, as a witcher is supposed to behave in battle.

spoilers spoilers

omg no

Felt really bad man.

Quazar

So is cave of dreams a known glitch quest. They're never outside cave.

I also just got back on mainland after isle of mists looks like all quests are intact still...

Piggo

Hey all, i'm hoping for some help from a PC player. I've just had to reformat my computer after Windows 10 kept crashing on me and it looks like i've lost my Witcher 3 save file.

I love the game, but the thought of redoing everything i've completed just isn't something I see myself doing.

I just finished the 'Va Fail, Elaine' quest in Act 2 and am level 25. If you have a save that's roughly around that progress (even if it's a few quests back) you would make me ridiculously happy if you could upload it and PM me.

Griss

I realise I'm somewhat late to the party (though probably not late enough to make an LTTP thread), but does anyone have any tips for a beginner? Because I'm really struggling here, I'm not enjoying myself at all, and this is not a good situation. I'm at the point in the beginning where this witch leads you to an elf who was looking for Ciri.

So far my complaints are:
-Inconsistent frame-rate, even during cutscenes, with a lot of jerkiness to the picture;
-Unwieldy combat, hard to read enemy animations, inconsistent enemy AI, fiddling around changing spells during battle;
-Gerault controls so poorly it's hard to believe, just looting a body or entering a door is a major, major challenge, and the entire game feels like it's designed around a mouse and keyboard (as in objects were designed to be clicked rather than 'looked at' and interacted with);
-Horrible UI and menus, hard to know what a lot of stuff in the menu system does;
-Dull opening to the story so far;
-The X button doing way too much at once, so you can end up mounting your horse instead of rolling from an enemy (multiple deaths, cheers), or skipping a tutorial instead of looting, or looting instead of running etc;
-Inconsistent voice acting (most of the ladies are excellent, the men not so much);
-Lack of explanation regarding all the items you collect and what the hell you're meant to do with them;
-Ludicrously low EXP gain - I'm on quests for level 6-10 already and I just reached level 3. Killing monsters doesn't seem to give EXP, and I'm trying to do side quests but they offer so little too. No idea how to level up properly;
-Money is tight as shit so I can't really upgrade my gear. Doing a side quest gives you about enough money to afford... a loaf of bread;
-Healing is a pain in the ass;
-Two PS4-crashing bugs so far. Constant pop-in issues and minor glitches. Highly inconsistent auto-save that has cost me tons of progress already;
-A fairly empty-seeming open-world compared to what I was expecting. Plays very much like a linear game in an open world. I was expecting to strike off on my own from the start, finding quests and dungeons and stuff. Very possible this is just an early game issue.

The combat is the main issue, though. I just platinumed Bloodborne before coming to this game without much difficulty, and I'm dying to random lvl1 dogs on the side of the road here constantly, even from full health. I died more to the first griffin in this game than any boss in Bloodborne, including the Watchdog in the Defiled Chalice Dungeon. It's ridiculous, and either this game is impossible or I'm completely failing to grasp the basics. Quen is useless, Igni is useless. I can't read the enemies animations at all, often dying without realising I was actually being attacked, and they constantly just run away from me for 30 seconds or more at a time which is frustrating as fuck. I do not feel in control of Gerault most of the time. He constantly puts away his sword during combat and starts using his fists, he constantly locks on to a distant enemy instead of the closest one. I also keep getting stuck on environmental items and having camera issues.

I'm going to stick with it, but I'm shockingly underwhelmed so far. If it doesn't get better this is going to be my disappointment of the year. I realise that I may be really, really biased due to just finishing Bloodborne which may be my GOTY, but I don't think it's just that.

That Ice Giant quest took place on such an amazing Skellige Isle. The atmosphere was quite haunting at times, and the end of the quest was the most fun I have had thus far. Amazing.

In fact. The entire Skellige family side quest with the hierarchy is pretty good. Miles better than that long and boring Novigrad story quest.

Just finished.

Got the ending where
Ciri becomes a witcher and you lie to her dad. I kind of wish they left it up to the player as to whether you wanted to tell her father that she was alive, or lie to him. But the following cutscene with Ciri in the tavern gives the impression that she definitely did not want to see him again, so I guess Geralt had to do it.

This was possibly the greatest story in an RPG I have ever played; there weren't really any low points in the main story as far as Im concerned. The combat was far too easy on normal, bumping it up a notch definitely helped with my enjoyment.

There were quite a few glitches and framerate drops, and a bit too much use of Geralt's "witcher senses", but overall it's easily the best game Ive played this year.

9/10

-Unwieldy combat, hard to read enemy animations, inconsistent enemy AI, fiddling around changing spells during battle;
+ This takes a bit of time, you will get used to it. Some even find it fluid, including me.
-Gerault controls so poorly it's hard to believe, just looting a body or entering a door is a major, major challenge, and the entire game feels like it's designed around a mouse and keyboard (as in objects were designed to be clicked rather than 'looked at' and interacted with);
+ Have you enabled the alternative control scheme? If not, try that.
-Horrible UI and menus, hard to know what a lot of stuff in the menu system does;
+ I don't know man, seems pretty straightforward, I hardly ever see people complaining about this.
+ I guess if you haven't read the books and known the character beforehands then you probably will feel this way, for us that do, it's amazing. Can't be helped I guess.
-The X button doing way too much at once, so you can end up mounting your horse instead of rolling from an enemy (multiple deaths, cheers), or skipping a tutorial instead of looting, or looting instead of running etc;
-Inconsistent voice acting (most of the ladies are excellent, the men not so much);
+ Which men are you talking about? Most people I see and I think that the voice acting are excellent.
-Lack of explanation regarding all the items you collect and what the hell you're meant to do with them;
+ You mean quest items or general? Either way, I find them pretty straightforward, something are obscure because you are supposed to learn about them. The others are explained pretty well.
-Ludicrously low EXP gain - I'm on quests for level 6-10 already and I just reached level 3. Killing monsters doesn't seem to give EXP, and I'm trying to do side quests but they offer so little too. No idea how to level up properly;
+ Main quests are your main source of XP, no XP from monster is to discourage grinding, i think it is good. Side quests are low yielding but monster contracts can give a lot.
-Money is tight as shit so I can't really upgrade my gear. Doing a side quest gives you about enough money to afford... a loaf of bread;
+ This is fun for me to manage my money, try to loot more, do not sell all the unused gears, tear them down for parts instead, try to fix your gears yourself, etc.
+ To each their own I guess, I like the fact that to heal, we need proper potions and food, not just rest and do nothing. You can have skill to heal yourself during daytime.
-Two PS4-crashing bugs so far. Constant pop-in issues and minor glitches. Highly inconsistent auto-save that has cost me tons of progress already;
+ Try rebuild database yet? I have heard that the PS4 version has some low fps problems but not much about crashing.
-A fairly empty-seeming open-world compared to what I was expecting. Plays very much like a linear game in an open world. I was expecting to strike off on my own from the start, finding quests and dungeons and stuff. Very possible this is just an early game issue.
+ Are you still in White Orchard? If yes, that is the tutorial of the game, you have seen nothing yet. This game is probably the most immersive open world to date, at least for me. You can wander all you want, and the stuff you will stumble upon, well i do not want to spoil it for you. Wait and find out.
The combat is the main issue, though. I just platinumed Bloodborne before coming to this game without much difficulty, and I'm dying to random lvl1 dogs on the side of the road here constantly, even from full health. I died more to the first griffin in this game than any boss in Bloodborne, including the Watchdog in the Defiled Chalice Dungeon. It's ridiculous, and either this game is impossible or I'm completely failing to grasp the basics. Quen is useless, Igni is useless. I can't read the enemies animations at all, often dying without realising I was actually being attacked, and they constantly just run away from me for 30 seconds or more at a time which is frustrating as fuck. I do not feel in control of Gerault most of the time. He constantly puts away his sword during combat and starts using his fists, he constantly locks on to a distant enemy instead of the closest one. I also keep getting stuck on environmental items and having camera issues.
+ I know a lot of people hate the combat, but try to learn it at least, stop comparing it to Bloodborne, or whatever you think is the best. Maybe you will learn to love it. I know some did. Personally, the combat feels fun and fluid for me, except for some instance the hitboxes are kind of off.
I'm going to stick with it, but I'm shockingly underwhelmed so far. If it doesn't get better this is going to be my disappointment of the year. I realise that I may be really, really biased due to just finishing Bloodborne which may be my GOTY, but I don't think it's just that.
Try to learn the game, take it for what it is, it may differ a bit from your expectation but it is one of the very few brilliant games in the last decade at least.

Prototype

I realise I'm somewhat late to the party (though probably not late enough to make an LTTP thread), but does anyone have any tips for a beginner? Because I'm really struggling here, I'm not enjoying myself at all, and this is not a good situation. I'm at the point in the beginning where this witch leads you to an elf who was looking for Ciri.

-Inconsistent frame-rate, even during cutscenes, with a lot of jerkiness to the picture;

I agree with pretty much everything here. I've just come to the conclusion that Witcher just isn't for me.

Try to learn the game, take it for what it is, it may differ a bit from your expectation but it is one of the very few brilliant games in the last decade at least.
Valiant effort dude, lol.
I get that you are trying to defend the game, but it's hard not to compare games to other games. For me, after playing Monster Hunter, nothing else really comes close in weapon weight, feeling of satisfaction of killing a large monster, or the feeling of "skill". Witcher gets kind of mashy at times.

Valiant effort dude, lol.
I get that you are trying to defend the game, but it's hard not to compare games to other games. For me, after playing Monster Hunter, nothing else really comes close in weapon weight, feeling of satisfaction of killing a large monster, or the feeling of "skill". Witcher gets kind of mashy at times.

No mate, I am not trying to defend the game. Note that in my post I never said the Witcher's combat is better, or even as good as Bloodborne's or Monster Hunter's. I just said that it can be fun.

I simply, genuinely believe that TW3 is a brilliant game and everybody should be able to enjoy it the way it is. So I try to help that poster to get through all his annoyances at the game in order to enjoy it. If that doesn't work out, then too bad. But if it helps, then he has something to enjoy for hundreds of hours more. So what's the harm in trying?

Personally, I am of one the few freaks that enjoy TW1's combat, and when TW2 changed all that, I was not very happy. In fact, I put off the game for a period of time. But then I finally gave the game another chance, and enjoyed the hell out of it, which resulted in 7 playthroughs. So, yes, it is hard to not compare, but it is worth a try.

It might be that the game is just not for you it happens, I still don't get the Bloodborne comparison, it's a totally different game I came straight from BB too by the way and once i'd got to grips I didn't have any real problems, and this isn't a game defending post either like I say it may just not be a game for you.

Finally finished this game even though I bought it way back when it came out. I think it can be best described as an ambitious nightmare.

-Framerate was a disaster
-Controls were a disaster
-Story was fine until it just kept drawing out endlessly
-Last chapter just kept going on and on and on. Oh I gotta fetch a sunstone now? Cool.
-Graphics were nice in one area then total garbage in another. No consistency.
-Bugs constantly crashing the game which compounds the issue with the checkpoint system. Spend an hour exploring or traversing the ridiculously designed Skellige area? Hope you remembered to save like it's 2003.
-Consequences of your decisions are not clear AT ALL. Might as well just ask me to roll dice.
-Everything involving UI or interaction was a disaster.
-Audio bugged out constantly in combat. Game bugged out all the time in general.
-Combat felt like it wasn't even actually tested by anyone.

I could go on, but I don't even know how I found the strength to finish this game.

KeRaSh

Go to all the question marks on the map, play Gwent everywhere possible.

This is why I never finish any WRPGs... :(
I 100%ed Kingdoms of Amalur but other than that I just get overwhelmed by filler content side quests and lose interest...

DO NEITHER OF THESE THINGS (unless you want your playtime to exceed 150 hours).

I accept every quest I can but will probably only care about the ones I can get witcher gear from. However, I will try to get a unique Gwent card whenever I see the chance. I want this as a mobile game... Why am I wasting so much time playing this instead of experience the rich story and world? What is wrong with me?

Prototype

No mate, I am not trying to defend the game. Note that in my post I never said the Witcher's combat is better, or even as good as Bloodborne's or Monster Hunter's. I just said that it can be fun.

I simply, genuinely believe that TW3 is a brilliant game and everybody should be able to enjoy it the way it is. So I try to help that poster to get through all his annoyances at the game in order to enjoy it. If that doesn't work out, then too bad. But if it helps, then he has something to enjoy for hundreds of hours more. So what's the harm in trying?

Personally, I am of one the few freaks that enjoy TW1's combat, and when TW2 changed all that, I was not very happy. In fact, I put off the game for a period of time. But then I finally gave the game another chance, and enjoyed the hell out of it, which resulted in 7 playthroughs. So, yes, it is hard to not compare, but it is worth a try.

OK, but when you make a point-by-point rebuttal of someone's post, if kinda comes off as defensive.

Overall I thought Witcher 3 had a great story, and I'm glad I experienced it, but I'll likely never play it again.

Edit.
Biggest highlight was playing as Ciri. She was way more fun to play. Wish there was more of her.

OK, but when you make a point-by-point rebuttal of someone's post, if kinda comes off as defensive.

Overall I thought Witcher 3 had a great story, and I'm glad I experienced it, but I'll likely never play it again.

Edit.
Biggest highlight was playing as Ciri. She was way more fun to play. Wish there was more of her.

Tons of people in previous threads just jumped in, said the game sucked and gave no reason at all, I always ignored and never wasted my time to respond to those. But he actually made an effort to point out specifically where he perceived the game comes short, so I made an effort to help him remedy it somehow, point by point. How else am I supposed to do it? Of course I can do a drive by comment but that will not contribute anything now, will it?

I suggest you take a read at my actual response to see if I was trying to be defensive or simply trying to give my point of views rather than assume the intent of my post by the way it was formatted.

Anyhow, I am entirely in love with this game and I will do what I can to spread it. However, it doesn't mean I will defend it to the last drop of my blood if you don't like it : )

I'm absolutely loving this game. Great story, interesting characters, lovely locations. It's a joy to wander around in this world.

My main complaint, and this is probably just me, is that Ciri's voice is super annoying. It doesn't seem to fit in this world and the voice actor does a pretty poor job in expressing any kind of emotion.

I also get annoyed how there are so many things to ignite or extinguish next to things to loot or examine. "Press A to Loot"... Oh no, I've lit a candle again.

But as complaints go, that's not bad at all for a game of such huge proportion.

I've come across a few Easter eggs too. Tyrion Lannister in a sky prison, a Fifty Shades of Grey reference (WHAT?!?!), Madonna's Material Girl lyrics and the seven dwarfs. Oh and I found an easel just sitting there on a Skellige island, I don't know what that is. Any more out there?

JoeNut

To the guy saying about killing things doesn't give enough exp - that is the point of the game, do the quests, you get a shit load of EXP for doing them

It might be that the game is just not for you it happens, I still don't get the Bloodborne comparison, it's a totally different game I came straight from BB too by the way and once i'd got to grips I didn't have any real problems, and this isn't a game defending post either like I say it may just not be a game for you.

I don't get the bloodorne comparaison either..Both game have totally different design .
All of my friends who played bloodborne adapted to the witcher rules and enjoyed it.

Griss

Wow, thank you for explaining alternative controls. This is a huge difference, huge enough that it will give me impetus to keep playing for the next couple of hours.

I see we disagree on most other areas, but the basic control issues are almost fixed by this one change, so thanks. Utterly bizarre that this isn't the default.

And since you made the effort to respond to all of my points, I will say what I DO like about the game, what makes me want to continue:

-The scale of the world. When I started the game I kept running into invisible walls. This would have been a complaint until I reached the 'main map' and realised how big it was, which was an awesome moment.
-The art design. The graphics are sometimes mediocre, but usually pretty damn good, and the actual art design of Gerault, monsters and villages is awesome.
-The world building. This is mixed because it drops you into the world without explaining enough, but it's clear that the world is very clearly realised with political plays between countries playing their part in what's going on in the world. The world genuinely feels like a war has been occurring there. Gives the game a bit of soul.
-The idea of taking contracts, tracking monsters, hunting and killing them is a fun one, and was enjoyable during the griffin mission.
-The characters clearly have interesting relationships, I'm interested to see how they develop.

Finally finished this game even though I bought it way back when it came out. I think it can be best described as an ambitious nightmare.

-Framerate was a disaster
-Controls were a disaster
-Story was fine until it just kept drawing out endlessly
-Last chapter just kept going on and on and on. Oh I gotta fetch a sunstone now? Cool.
-Graphics were nice in one area then total garbage in another. No consistency.
-Bugs constantly crashing the game which compounds the issue with the checkpoint system. Spend an hour exploring or traversing the ridiculously designed Skellige area? Hope you remembered to save like it's 2003.
-Consequences of your decisions are not clear AT ALL. Might as well just ask me to roll dice.
-Everything involving UI or interaction was a disaster.
-Audio bugged out constantly in combat. Game bugged out all the time in general.
-Combat felt like it wasn't even actually tested by anyone.

I could go on, but I don't even know how I found the strength to finish this game.

Well, I see I'm not the only one with this opinion. Genuinely thought this was supposed to be a polished masterpiece other than frame-rate from the acclaim it had gotten. Maybe I should have paid more attention.

Finalow

ok, some complaints here.

- bandit's AI is pretty garbage, monsters do dodge and counter to your attacks, the bandits I've found so far don't even react, you just spam the fast attack button until they're dead.

- I guess I just killed the second boss of the game, some
dude with an axe from the Wild Hunt
, the fight was pretty awful. he just kept using the same 2 swing moves + you have to kill him 3 times while he summons more of those monsters you fought 5 times already. (unless I missed some method to block him from doing that)

oh, the
Golem
fight was funny. it kept attacking Keira, like, non-stop, I was hitting it from behind while it just kept pounding on her (and uh, she can't die).

didn't help that my terrible damage was making these fights longer than they should have been. is this because it's on death march or because my weapon is crap? Level 4 here but I couldn't find a single silver sword better than the one you start it. I can craft some but obviously they need an higher level than 4.

Hystzen

How are you just spamming fast on Death March and killing bandits?

They block and parry I have to switch between hit and dodge or get my ass slapped. That's if I survive getting shot in chest by a crossbow user hiding in a bush.

Until I got to level 14 now I'm a king slicing groups in pieces while I pirouette past blows.

Finalow

How are you just spamming fast on Death March and killing bandits?
they block but never parry, I swear. and when they block you just keep spamming because they'll stop blocking and start taking hits *without reacting*. archers are annoying if they start using infinite arrows on you but you just go in and take them out, super squishy.
the only ones that actually stop the spam are the ones with big axes, the others? Lol. but then again I'm assuming/hoping that there are more and stronger types of bandits in other areas of the game.

tbh the only problem so far is that I do shit damage on any enemy that isn't level 6 or 7, they also one-shot me but I got Quen.

-Gerault controls so poorly it's hard to believe, just looting a body or entering a door is a major, major challenge, and the entire game feels like it's designed around a mouse and keyboard (as in objects were designed to be clicked rather than 'looked at' and interacted with)
I don't agree with most of your complaints but I agree with this. not sure if it's better on PC but at the beginning it was pretty awful. sometimes it took me 5+ seconds to loot something, instead of being able to just go there, press X and loot in half a second.
sluggish movements, controls and the "X for loot" command not working half of the time, or not showing up even if you're on top of the crate or whatever. however you get used to it, same for the combat which is not nearly as bad.

compared to Bloodborne or any souls games feels like controlling a pile of bricks but you can't really expect action rpgs to have the smoothness of From Soft games, which are the top of the top and probably will be for a long time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the bloodorne comparaison either..Both game have totally different design .
All of my friends who played bloodborne adapted to the witcher rules and enjoyed it.

I think people are more saying the combat isn't enjoyable after playing Bloodborne rather than totally comparing the two. That I can get. Combat is the weak point of most WRPGs, and I just play on normal (or even easy in some games) to blow through it since I'm there for the world, characters, questing and story

W3's combat is miles better than say a Bethesda RPG, but is still my least favorite part of the game.

Wow, thank you for explaining alternative controls. This is a huge difference, huge enough that it will give me impetus to keep playing for the next couple of hours.

I see we disagree on most other areas, but the basic control issues are almost fixed by this one change, so thanks. Utterly bizarre that this isn't the default.

And since you made the effort to respond to all of my points, I will say what I DO like about the game, what makes me want to continue:

-The scale of the world. When I started the game I kept running into invisible walls. This would have been a complaint until I reached the 'main map' and realised how big it was, which was an awesome moment.
-The art design. The graphics are sometimes mediocre, but usually pretty damn good, and the actual art design of Gerault, monsters and villages is awesome.
-The world building. This is mixed because it drops you into the world without explaining enough, but it's clear that the world is very clearly realised with political plays between countries playing their part in what's going on in the world. The world genuinely feels like a war has been occurring there. Gives the game a bit of soul.
-The idea of taking contracts, tracking monsters, hunting and killing them is a fun one, and was enjoyable during the griffin mission.
-The characters clearly have interesting relationships, I'm interested to see how they develop.

Glad that my post was of some use. Many of the other things are up to personal preferences so I guess that's that. Hope you will be able to enjoy the game more now at least :)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm closing in on the end. Got the trophy for doing all the Witcher contracts, though I still have the bugged Skellige's Most Wanted contract in my list. Secondary quests I have the Reason of State one I just picked up, and otherwise just Gwent one's I'm not bothering with. And story wise I'm on the final preparations quest with the talk to Yen objective as the last part of that to do before moving on.

Hopefully I can finish it up later today or tomorrow.

I don't agree with most of your complaints but I agree with this. not sure if it's better on PC but at the beginning it was pretty awful. sometimes it took me 5+ seconds to loot something, instead of being able to just go there, press X and loot in half a second.
sluggish movements, controls and the "X for loot" command not working half of the time, or not showing up even if you're on top of the crate or whatever. however you get used to it, same for the combat which is not nearly as bad.

compared to Bloodborne or any souls games feels like controlling a pile of bricks but you can't really expect action rpgs to have the smoothness of From Soft games, which are the top of the top and probably will be for a long time.

CDProjekt patched in an alternative control mode which may be more up your alley. You can change it in the gameplay section of options.

I'm closing in on the end. Got the trophy for doing all the Witcher contracts, though I still have the bugged Skellige's Most Wanted contract in my list. Secondary quests I have the Reason of State one I just picked up, and otherwise just Gwent one's I'm not bothering with. And story wise I'm on the final preparations quest with the talk to Yen objective as the last part of that to do before moving on.

Hopefully I can finish it up later today or tomorrow.

Not just me then? That's good to know. Hopefully they'll sort that at some point.

I beat this masterpiece a week ago, and yesterday decided to get back into the world and complete a low level contract that I never bothered with. After completing the last remaining contract that I had; I decided to see if I could actually take on some guards; I beat the game at level 35 with mastercrafted feline in every equipment category. I provoked some guards, and was shocked to see that they were level 49 lol. Funny enough, the three died quickly without even touching me. I just held on square and twirled them to death. How far my Geralt has come. ..

Dr.Acula

Banned
So now that this game has had all its DLC released, I've decided to jump in (on PC).

I found the KBM combat to be kind of awkward, so I've tried using the 360 controller. The combat is fine, but I don't like using the controller for anything else so I'm switching. The switching is pretty seemless, but I just want to ask if anyone else finds themselves mixing control schemes. Do people get used to the KBM combat or is it considered poor?

teokrazia

The switching is pretty seemless, but I just want to ask if anyone else finds themselves mixing control schemes. Do people get used to the KBM combat or is it considered poor?

I'm both a gamepad and K+M guy, but for games with this kind of combat (Batman, Mordor) I find the latter solution ways better: faster and preciser camera control, direct bind and in TW3 case better responsiveness (I have a 360 and One controller, both wired, and in this game they give me the impression to be somehow input-lagged).

Try to give it a second chance.
Or go full pad.
I can't imagine how draining could be switching in the long term. :)

ok, some complaints here.

- bandit's AI is pretty garbage, monsters do dodge and counter to your attacks, the bandits I've found so far don't even react, you just spam the fast attack button until they're dead.

Only fast attacks , whitou pauses or carefull timing ? That's like the best way to get stunned by a shield hit or get interrupted by arrows.

Witcher are strongers than normal humans , they will always destroy an human on one to one, but 1 vs a pack of bandits is not a spamming fest , unless you have much much much more levels than them.
They change the timing of their attack and they defend , even on normal difficulties.

I once was level 14 and had to go up against a shit ton of level 7 pirates and almost died.

Then again there were like twenty of them, not like your usual three men group of bandits in some tent in the woods.

RedSwirl

Things I have some slight complaints with, that I think are good but could be a lot better:

--I feel like monster tracks and other Witcher Sense things should be slightly more visible out of Witcher sense. It should be a challenge to find clues, but I find too many of them to be basically invisible without Witcher Sense. Maybe I just suck, but being forced to use Witcher Sense to me makes these parts of the quests feel like going through the motions of actual adventure game challenges. Witcher Sense should be a completely optional hint system or something.

--Quest objectives shouldn't be so reliant on waypoints. In this regard Witcher 3 isn't nearly as egregious as Skyrim -- quests often describe objective locations, but not well or often enough. Geralt himself should not rely on magical GPS to know where he should be going. I would at least add something in the fiction where he and quest contacts physically draw marks on his map.

--In the alchemy and crafting lists all the category panels should be closed by default like they are in the bestiary. Having to scroll all the way down the damn list is annoying. Actually, a grid system for the alchemy and crafting UI might be better. This is pretty much my only UI complaint. It might be nice if I could alphabetize books/notes or group them by read/unread.

Also, is everybody leaving the active quest objective turned off in the UI? Leaving it off has shown me how useless those things have become in modern AAA games. If you pay attention to what's going on, the thing you need to do next in the quest is always pretty apparent.

I've been trying to Complete the Gwent card collection, and as per guides I've seen I'm only missing two cards Villentretenmerth and Frightener, both cards you get randomly by beating other players, I thought I had already cleared all merchants and players in all regions but was still missing these two, so I go back to check a video guide and see some players in Novigrad I hadn't discover yet.

So great, I should be able to beat them to get the cards and win the trophy (playing on PS4), but the first one I beat doesn't gives me any cards (nor items), weird, but whatever, I find a second merchant I had not played yet (a priest / alchemist) beat him and also get no cards from him (and I also don't get any items, I just get the gold)

So I'm starting to get worried, is this a bug, or am I somehow not allowed to win more Gwent cards from the Novigrad region? even thought I am missing two random cards?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Random question, but does anyone know the name of the font Witcher 3 uses for in-game text like menus, dialogues, quest descriptions, etc?

hitgirl

I'm coming to the heartbreaking reality that I don't really liked Witcher 3. And I LOVED #1 and #2. There's been some good story payoff in Witcher 3, finally seeing Geralt and Yen interact, but man.. some other games which came out between #2 and #3 has really ruined third person action games for me. Even on the most difficulty settings I hate the combat. And the open world is just sort of large and in the way. I really preferred how tight and concentrated the world of Witcher 2 was.

Coreda

Random question, but does anyone know the name of the font Witcher 3 uses for in-game text like menus, dialogues, quest descriptions, etc?

Din (there are many variants by different foundries). It was designed for road signage and has become quite popular in general design use over the past decade or so.

Auctopus

Things I have some slight complaints with, that I think are good but could be a lot better:

--I feel like monster tracks and other Witcher Sense things should be slightly more visible out of Witcher sense. It should be a challenge to find clues, but I find too many of them to be basically invisible without Witcher Sense. Maybe I just suck, but being forced to use Witcher Sense to me makes these parts of the quests feel like going through the motions of actual adventure game challenges. Witcher Sense should be a completely optional hint system or something..

There's an easy fix for this. Once you have caught the tracks or scent with Wticher Sense then the track/should be visible out of Witcher Sense from then on. I hate having to hold down my Witcher Senses whilst trekking through the woods blindly, it really removes immersion.

Any impressions of NG+?

Also, is everybody leaving the active quest objective turned off in the UI? Leaving it off has shown me how useless those things have become in modern AAA games. If you pay attention to what's going on, the thing you need to do next in the quest is always pretty apparent.
I played probably 100 hours with the entire HUD off, except for the health bars etc which appeared when not at full health.

The game is very clearly not designed to be played easily with the mini map in particular turned off. It can be difficult to find quest markers without frequently checking the map. If definitely makes it a lot more immersive without all the HUD elements but I found it had to check the map often.

I told myself it was Geralt checking a physical map, but it did become a bit tedious. There's a few ways they could have easily improved it, but I imagine since it was designed with the mini map in mind, it wasn't a high priority. It's much easier to go with the status quo. Some things, like horse races, were virtually impossible without the mini map.

Seeing videos or screenshots with everything turned on makes me cringe, it really looks hideous with everything turned on.

I guess achievements are boned again? I have Enhanced Griffin Armor, Gauntlets, Boots, Trousers, Silver and Steel Swords and the "Armed and Dangerous" achievement doesn't pop up.

Just did the Possession mission in Skellige and it was pretty neat.

Glass

Hate to ask this because I know it get's asked alot here, but how much of the game do I have left now that I've returned from
Kaer Morhen and am recruiting my peoples?

The drinking quest leading into the curse being lifted
, one of the best hour's of my gaming life. The latter especially, the atmosphere,
the witchers watching someone undergo the trial of the grass again, poor Uma.
It was oozing with emotion, absolutely amazing.

Top Bottom