• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Hate to ask this because I know it get's asked alot here, but how much of the game do I have left now that I've returned from
Kaer Morhen and am recruiting my peoples?

The drinking quest leading into the curse being lifted
, one of the best hour's of my gaming life. The latter especially, the atmosphere,
the witchers watching someone undergo the trial of the grass again, poor Uma.
It was oozing with emotion, absolutely amazing.

You are about 2/3 way through main quests.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it up late last night. Amazing game start to finish. I lamely got the bad ending since I apparently made a couple bad conversation choices with Ciri. Oh well, no biggie. Just YouTubed the other endings.

I finished at level 35 with mastercraft feline gear. I did all the contracts and got that trophy, and did all secondary quests I could find other than Gwent ones. I left lots of points of interest on the map as I don't like chasing those down and only hit ones on the way to objectives. Unfortunately I have no idea of playtime since the counter is broken on ps4.

Other story/ending stuff:

I banged everyone I could , but didn't romance Yen after the Djinn quest, so of have ended up with Triss if I hadn't messed up the Ciri conversations.

Nilfgaard won the war, but left Temeria as I helped assassinate Radovid and sided with Roche.

Cerys became ruler of Skellige.

Overall, I loved the game. Definitely my favorite open wold WRPG.

Its not without a few faults though. Of course the load times and technical issues on PS4 being the biggest. There were also too many follow this person somewhere and follow blood/scent trails with Witcher senses quests/contracts IMO. They also should have let you fast travel from anywhere rather than having to slog your way to a sign post. The purists who hate fast travel can just not use it either way.

But all minor given how great the world, characters, story and writing are. As I said earlier in the thread, a lot of the secondary quests and contracts missions are better than main story quests in a lot of other WRPGs.

It didn't quite edge out Bloodborne for my GOTY so far, but still one of my all time favorites.

Griss

So after the advice above I picked it back up last night with the alternate controls.

I ran into a brick wall against the first Wild Hunt boss you fight (with Keira the witch). And I died so many times before that just struggling to keep Gerault in her magic circle, it was crazy. 'Stay in this circle' should not be a challenge if your controls are in any way functional, yet it was. Don't mention the camera issues and lock-on issues I had with the wraiths in that passage. Then I get to the boss and can hardly put a scratch on him. Dodging, blocking, magic - nothing seems to work against him and I'm constantly staggered (which is a mechanic I do not understand). After about 10 deaths, many of which where I'm not sure what actually hit me (AoE? Bad hitbox?) I say 'fuck this, I'm going to give up on this game at this rate' and put the difficulty down from 'Broken Bones' to 'Just the story'. Only way I'm going to enjoy the game, imo.

Here's where my mind was blown - Nothing changed. The guy still wiped the floor with me. On the easiest difficulty. Could barely make a scratch on him. Died multiple times.

Are you telling me that CDPR were incapable of even programming difficulty levels correctly? Did I run into a bug where the difficulty level doesn't change? What part of 'Just the story' is hard for them to understand? Am I supposed to believe that I can go from plat-ing Bloodborne to not being able to get by the second boss of this game on the easiest difficulty level? How is it that I'm following the story perfectly and am only level 3 on a level 7 mission when your XP is supposed to come from story quests? Just what the fuck is going on here?

Fortunately for me the game crashed again (3rd time total) upon entering the menu which was a signal that I should go to bed. Gonna give it another go tonight but this game is very close to losing me forever.

Some of my armor's jumped up 20+ levels that I can't even use now...this defeats the entire fucking purpose of why I wanted new game +. Thanks CDPR.

Has this happened to anyone else?

11884994_10206099217372911_6878246785901612517_o.jpg

So after the advice above I picked it back up last night with the alternate controls.

I ran into a brick wall against the first Wild Hunt boss you fight (with Keira the witch). And I died so many times before that just struggling to keep Gerault in her magic circle, it was crazy. 'Stay in this circle' should not be a challenge if your controls are in any way functional, yet it was. Don't mention the camera issues and lock-on issues I had with the wraiths in that passage. Then I get to the boss and can hardly put a scratch on him. Dodging, blocking, magic - nothing seems to work against him and I'm constantly staggered (which is a mechanic I do not understand). After about 10 deaths, many of which where I'm not sure what actually hit me (AoE? Bad hitbox?) I say 'fuck this, I'm going to give up on this game at this rate' and put the difficulty down from 'Broken Bones' to 'Just the story'. Only way I'm going to enjoy the game, imo.

Here's where my mind was blown - Nothing changed. The guy still wiped the floor with me. On the easiest difficulty. Could barely make a scratch on him. Died multiple times.

Are you telling me that CDPR were incapable of even programming difficulty levels correctly? Did I run into a bug where the difficulty level doesn't change? What part of 'Just the story' is hard for them to understand? Am I supposed to believe that I can go from plat-ing Bloodborne to not being able to get by the second boss of this game on the easiest difficulty level? How is it that I'm following the story perfectly and am only level 3 on a level 7 mission when your XP is supposed to come from story quests? Just what the fuck is going on here?

Fortunately for me the game crashed again (3rd time total) upon entering the menu which was a signal that I should go to bed. Gonna give it another go tonight but this game is very close to losing me forever.

That's really strange -- I had no problem with him at all on normal difficulty. Did you try using any potions or oils to up your attack? Are you healing during the battle when you lose health?

Some of my armor's jumped up 20+ levels that I can't even use now...this defeats the entire fucking purpose of why I wanted new game +. Thanks CDPR.

Has this happened to anyone else?

11884994_10206099217372911_6878246785901612517_o.jpg

I had that happen on one of my swords, jumped up about 20 levels also, do you have anything in your stash that you can use at the start? Like witcher armors or anything? I had to go back and use my Wolven armor steel sword.

Griss

That's really strange -- I had no problem with him at all on normal difficulty. Did you try using any potions or oils to up your attack? Are you healing during the battle when you lose health?

I have a lightning potion but no way to heal. I never really have any way to heal beyond a piece of bread here or there. As such I'm playing the game like it's an old-school FPS... you have your health bar and that's it. Chip damage is a killer.

I had a swallow potion but it had 3 uses and appears to be gone now.

I have a lightning potion but no way to heal. I never really have any way to heal beyond a piece of bread here or there. As such I'm playing the game like it's an old-school FPS... you have your health bar and that's it. Chip damage is a killer.

Oh dude. You can equip foods that you pick up in your item slots and use those to gain 5-10 seconds of regeneration. Health regens very slowly (and you can't stack food items), but that should be helpful in getting you through the battle.

You really only have a couple pieces of bread thus far? Did you do a lot of sidequest stuff before the mission? Maybe try going around to different ?'s before you try that again. Stock up on food.

That fight is really easy if you are able to figure out what to do. Work with Keira in a tandem. When she hits the boss, he gets staggered and you can land a few hits. Took me three tries on Death March to do.

I had that happen on one of my swords, jumped up about 20 levels also, do you have anything in your stash that you can use at the start? Like witcher armors or anything? I had to go back and use my Wolven armor steel sword.
No, that was the only armor I had. Really bummed, I was so excited to start with all my gear again, so angry right now.

No, that was the only armor I had. Really bummed, I was so excited to start with all my gear again, so angry right now.

Damn that sucks, hope you find some decent armor to use for the next 22 levels. They should give you a heads up on that type of stuff or have the gear in your inventory stay the same level as it was before NG+.

Denton

You know potions replenish when you meditate, right ? All you need for that is some alcohol.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Are the gwent cards you win from Merchants/Blacksmiths/Armorers supposed to be random? I won against some of em while exploring Velen and I got some random items in return.

Are the gwent cards you win from Merchants/Blacksmiths/Armorers supposed to be random? I won against some of em while exploring Velen and I got some random items in return.

Yeah of course. It's a random pool of cards, and once you get all the cards or play the same person twice you get random items (usually 4x of something).

Finalow

well, yes, the alternative controls on consoles are much better. seems like they realized (or people complained enough) how bad it was and they patched it.

Griss

You know potions replenish when you meditate, right ? All you need for that is some alcohol.

What? That... makes no sense! Even if the potion 'item' goes down to 0? How does alcohol recreate an empty potion?

Unfortunately I don't seem to have any alcohol. Does alcohest count? Any beer or spirits? Or is it a specific item? Does it take one piece of alcohol per potion, per 'tick' of a potion, what?

See, I'm convinced I just don't understand this game and this just feels like further proof. That must be the problem. I don't feel like the game ever properly explained how potions work to me, but it might have been one of the tutorials I skipped accidentally while trying to loot a flower.

Finalow

Only fast attacks , whitou pauses or carefull timing ? That's like the best way to get stunned by a shield hit or get interrupted by arrows.

Witcher are strongers than normal humans , they will always destroy an human on one to one, but 1 vs a pack of bandits is not a spamming fest , unless you have much much much more levels than them.
They change the timing of their attack and they defend , even on normal difficulties.
haven't found a bandit with a shield yet. and no, I've been killing level 6 bandits at level 3-4 on death march, with spamming fest. I'm not making stuff up just for criticizing the game. which, yes, I do like so far.

they defend, sure, but it doesn't change anything because you can keep spamming until they stop defending and they die. you move very fast when doing so, meaning that usually you isolate the target from the rest of the pack. but being interrupted by another bandit is beside the point, they should at least react if the AI wasn't dumb.

they either made them "dumb" because they're ''only humans'' or because they wanted to make them easier than monsters, I guess? Or the AI is just flawed. still if you think about it, humans should obviously be more clever than monsters so they should also be the ones to react and dodge more, not the contrary.

Sai

AI's tough to get right.

And I don't think all of the human opponents just stand there and guard while you spam fast attack until you drain their stamina. If I remember correctly, some of the more powerful combatants do deflect and/or stun you if you do so. Even so, that should've been common, universal behavior, in my opinion—at least on the higher difficulties.

But, again, AI's tough to get right.

What? That... makes no sense! Even if the potion 'item' goes down to 0? How does alcohol recreate an empty potion?

Unfortunately I don't seem to have any alcohol. Does alcohest count? Any beer or spirits? Or is it a specific item? Does it take one piece of alcohol per potion, per 'tick' of a potion, what?
Alcohest counts, along with other strong alcohols like Dwarven Spirit and Temerian Rye. Alcohest and Dwarven Spirit are much more common than the others.

When you meditate, it only takes a single one of those strong alcohols to replenish your entire stock of potions and bombs. This was a change they made in Witcher 3 to streamline things. And yeah, it was definitely covered in a tutorial.

Has anybody made a mod for Witcher 3 that changes the bomb/potion/oil crafting and replenishment more in line with the past two games yet?

Denton

See, I'm convinced I just don't understand this game and this just feels like further proof. That must be the problem. I don't feel like the game ever properly explained how potions work to me, but it might have been one of the tutorials I skipped accidentally while trying to loot a flower.
All of this stuff is explained in the game...

Yes alcohest etc count, I dont think I ever ran out of alcohol during my playthrough.

Hey Witcher-Gaf, help me out here:

I just built a new PC, and I want to get The Witcher 3 as a graphical showcase for what it can do. It seems like an intriguing story, and an interesting world to explore. Plus, I like that it's available DRM-free.

A couple things are holding me back, however:
—I'm not a huge fan of WRPG's. I don't like managing gear/loot/items, I don't like crafting, and I don't like grinding—to the point where I'd much rather levels didn't exist.
—It's just... a really long game. I generally prefer 10-15 hour games...

Is there any combination of difficulty/mods/general gameplay strategies that kind of addresses this? Or should I look elsewhere for games?

Thanks!

haven't found a bandit with a shield yet. and no, I've been killing level 6 bandits at level 3-4 on death march, with spamming fest. I'm not making stuff up just for criticizing the game. which, yes, I do like so far.

they defend, sure, but it doesn't change anything because you can keep spamming until they stop defending and they die. you move very fast when doing so, meaning that usually you isolate the target from the rest of the pack. but being interrupted by another bandit is beside the point, they should at least react if the AI wasn't dumb.

they either made them "dumb" because they're ''only humans'' or because they wanted to make them easier than monsters, I guess? Or the AI is just flawed. still if you think about it, humans should obviously be more clever than monsters so they should also be the ones to react and dodge more, not the contrary.

After many many hours of play time i've seen it multiples times, there is variation between the bandits behavior. There is certain stuff like them losing their initiative to fight once one or two of them are down , or them being more agressive once they get a few hits in. They certainly aren't static.

There are plenty of bandits that require you to deflect or counter first because they will parry defend against a series of fast attacks. you've just haven't seen them yet ( witcher world is vast after all )

Denton

Hey Witcher-Gaf, help me out here:

I just built a new PC, and I want to get The Witcher 3 as a graphical showcase for what it can do. It seems like an intriguing story, and an interesting world to explore. Plus, I like that it's available DRM-free.

A couple things are holding me back, however:
—I'm not a huge fan of WRPG's. I don't like managing gear/loot/items, I don't like crafting, and I don't like grinding—to the point where I'd much rather levels didn't exist.
—It's just... a really long game. I generally prefer 10-15 hour games...

Is there any combination of difficulty/mods/general gameplay strategies that kind of addresses this? Or should I look elsewhere for games?

Thanks!

No, there is no mod that will make the game last 10 hours.

There is also no grinding. There is some gear management and crafting, but depending on difficulty you don't need to bother with it much.

If you just play through main story on easy, you will probably finish in around 40 hours. But you will rob yourself of some of the best experiences this medium has to offer. There are sidequests here that are of higher quality than most other game's main campaigns.

Also, if you have new PC, then TW3 is a must buy anyway. It is pure eye candy. Especially if you have at least 970 and can get 60fps on mostly ultra.

There is also no grinding. There is some gear management and crafting, but depending on difficulty you don't need to bother with it much.
Alright, that sounds good enough. Went ahead and bought it on GMG. I've been hovering over the button for quite a while. I do indeed have a GTX 970.

If you just play through main story on easy, you will probably finish in around 40 hours. But you will rob yourself of some of the best experiences this medium has to offer.
What exactly am I missing out on by playing on easy? I play a lot of games on easy... I actually kind of suck at video games. <_<

Edit: Oh, by "best experiences", you were referring to the side-quests, not the difficulty, right?

Denton

Alright, that sounds good enough. Went ahead and bought it on GMG. I've been hovering over the button for quite a while. I do indeed have a GTX 970.

What exactly am I missing out on by playing on easy? I play a lot of games on easy... I actually kind of suck at video games. <_<

Edit: Oh, by "best experiences", you were referring to the side-quests, not the difficulty, right?

Yeah I meant sidequests and storylines. Difficulty only affects the combat. Easy is called "Just the story" and it fits the name. You don't miss anything by playing on easy, but obviously it is not going to be too challenging. Then again, Geralt is legendary master swordsman, so in a way the easy difficulty is the most lore-friendly :)

Enjoy. If you have the possibility, I would suggest connecting the PC to TV. This game looks spectacular on my plasma and plays perfectly with controller (but mouse+kb too).
And you might want to grab the immersive HUD mod from nexus, it hides minimap and makes it appear only when using witcher sense - it improves immersion.
As for graphics, I suggest disabling hairworks, setting foliage distance to high and shadows to medium. Rest leave on ultra and enabled, only sharpening put on low. That way you will get 60fps and still amazing graphics.

Glass

Is there a mod to stop beard growth?

For me, the full beard cut short is perfect right after it's cut, but soon grows into a much bushier version. I'm a visuals whore, running around with a 'transmog' set of gear just because I've not found anything as cool looking as the first Feline tier set, Death March is pretty easy now I'm lvl 26 so I'm not too bothered about loss of stats.

Now I wish the beard would stick to the length I choose for longer then an hour of game time.

There are two dodge buttons. Use the quicker one, circle on PS4 I think. I had problems with the same dude until I realized I was using the wrong dodge button.

Davide

Half, maybe a bit less if you just rush through the main storyline.
Thanks!

Level 22 and I haven't crafted a new set of armor in a while. I've been hoping to get the bear school armor. Do most people come across these diagram hunts naturally going through the campaign or is it better just to google the locations and find them now?

How the hell do I start the NG+ ?

Finished the game a month ago, today I installed the 1.08 patch, downloaded the NG+ and tried a new game but I didn't have the option for the +. I tried to play a bit, then save e and tried again but nothing... help, please.

Edit: Now I have the option, but when i select the save it says that I didn't finish the game.

daevv

What's the point of no return for trophies and side quests? Isle of Mist?
I'm trying to do all the trophies on PS4 in one run and a few missable trophy guides say to do them before going to the Isle of Mist. Thats different then the Skellige (3rd area of the game) Islands right? I'm getting close to going to Skellige in the story. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it has great sidequests. Definitely do most sidequests/contracts if you have time. As has been said a bunch, many are better than main quests in most WRPGs.

Difficulty wise, like most WRPGs the combat is nothing special anyway (IMHO), so I don't think you'd miss out on much playing on easy. That said, the game is pretty easy on normal--at least after you hit level 10 or so--as long as you keep getting upgraded gear. Finding witcher gear (see below) and upgrading that as you hit the required level for each upgrade is a great way to do that.

I seldom died after my first few hours on normal, and I'm one that plays a lot of WRPGs (like Skyrim etc.) on easy.

Thanks!

Level 22 and I haven't crafted a new set of armor in a while. I've been hoping to get the bear school armor. Do most people come across these diagram hunts naturally going through the campaign or is it better just to google the locations and find them now?

I just looked them up online. I mean looking at a map online to find them isn't really cheating when buying/finding the map in game takes you right to the diagrams. I just spent one session getting all the diagrams (I was high enough level at the time to deal with enemies around any of them) and then just upgraded each time I hit the level cap.

I went with Feline gear as that with a nearly fully upgraded fast attack tree and the cat ability (+5% fast attack damage for each piece of light armor, as well as-I think-+25% critial damage per piece) made me a quick death dealing machine. :D

Glass

Ok, getting closer to the end. I want to make sure I get as good an ending as possible, so of course now I'm going to be second guessing every other dialogue choice!

I just took
Ciri to see her father, refused coin,
but by going there does that lock me into anything? Or are there multiple ways of getting each ending?

Sai

Ok, getting closer to the end. I want to make sure I get as good an ending as possible, so of course now I'm going to be second guessing every other dialogue choice!

I just took
Ciri to see her father, refused coin,
but by going there does that lock me into anything? Or are there multiple ways of getting each ending?
That locks you into a particular ending, assuming you make all the right positive choices(like
refusing her father's coin
).

Glass

That locks you into a particular ending, assuming you make all the right positive choices(like
refusing her father's coin
).

Many thanks. Is it as simple as 1 good ending, 1 'medium' ending and a terrible one? Or is it less clear cut then that? Just wondering which one I'm locked into.

mulac

I've had this sitting on my PC through GOG the last few weeks and haven't started yet. Recently just built a htpc for my lounge that happens to have a GTX 970 card so I am thinking of starting W3 on my lounge computer then continuing whenever on my desktop PC.

Does GOG allow cross save between PC's so I can save in lounge PC and walk into my study desktop pc to continue?

I don't believe Galaxy does cloud saves yet. Alternatively, you could add a shortcut to the app into Steam and use Steam In-Home Streaming. Depending on your network it can add some latency, but for me it was fine to play 100+ hours of the game in this way (streaming from GTX670 to a HTPC with Intel integrated graphics, at 1080p).

mulac

I don't believe Galaxy does cloud saves yet. Alternatively, you could add a shortcut to the app into Steam and use Steam In-Home Streaming. Depending on your network it can add some latency, but for me it was fine to play 100+ hours of the game in this way (streaming from GTX670 to a HTPC with Intel integrated graphics, at 1080p).

Oh great thanks!
Didnt know it worked like that given the game is hosted and downloaded/updated through GoG.
Everything is on my home network which is pretty good so will try it - works perfectly with XboxOne streaming to my Win10 PC so guess its the same logic.

Steam is great!

Will give it a try :)

Played around a bit with NG+, and it's pretty good so far. NG+ Death March seems only a bit more difficult than regular DM, though I haven't gotten to the Griffin yet so that may change.

Really all that's left for CDPR to do is add the extra Triss dialogue they stated they were working on, and patch in a way to permanently use the indoor camera position at all times. Overall, still GOTY contender for me. Though we'll see what happens once MGS:V releases.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I dunno why, but whenever I slash at human enemies during combat, I sometimes get a punching sound rather than a slash sound

Is it supposed to be a bug or something?

I dunno why, but whenever I slash at human enemies during combat, I sometimes get a punching sound rather than a slash sound

Is it supposed to be a bug or something?

I encountered that once, I suspect it might be a bug OR it is sign that your attack is not effective because the enemies' level are too high. (it doesn't make much sense as steel against flesh/wood/steel should not sound like punching sound in any case)

So yeah I heavily lean on the idea that it's a bug.

JoeNut

Axii level 2 seems OP, i can stand away from a bandit camp or really any monsters and turn them all against each other without getting involved at all usually

Top Bottom