• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Glass

Axii level 2 seems OP, i can stand away from a bandit camp or really any monsters and turn them all against each other without getting involved at all usually

Yeah I discovered it early on and it certainly made my Death March playthrough easier. Very satisfying to use though so I don't mind. Love seeing the enemies 1 shot each other.

I've got no idea how far through the game I am. I've...

Just got to Novigrad, met up with Triss and now I'm looking around for Dandelion's various wenches.

I'm really loving it, though. Lots of fun.

Edit: One amazing thing was the sense of "safety" I got when I first went to Oxenfurt. You spend the whole game before that going through towns that re either burnt out, half burnt out or pretty small, where kids and people keep getting eaten in fields with corpses swinging from trees. Suddenly you get to Oxenfurt and it's like you've suddenly found some civilisation!! It's a great feeling and one rarely replicated in games for me.

teokrazia

The humans AI is certainly flawed and heavily inconsistent. Is one of my major gripes about the game.
In the end, besides all the new bells and whistles [animations, chatting, splatter/executions and stuff], I preferred the AI in TW2: soldiers/bandits at least were generally more aggressive.

It's a shame, because the fundamentals are there:
https://youtu.be/PGswC_rycyA

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've got no idea how far through the game I am. I've...

Just got to Novigrad, met up with Triss and now I'm looking around for Dandelion's various wenches.

I'm really loving it, though. Lots of fun.

Maybe 25-30% through.

Denton

Eurogamer just published some of the best game writing ever:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

I also recommend reading everyone previous piece by the same writer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt

Awesome stuff, those concept arts!

And read the comments, Bertie published some more stuff there.

All the stuff that was cut breaks my heart, but I get that it is necessary. Still, being inside Wild Hunt...that would have been something. And that pub drinking is sorely missed :)
Thread worthy ?

Finalow

the maps are so huuuge. I feel like it will take me 200 hours to get the platinum.

After many many hours of play time i've seen it multiples times, there is variation between the bandits behavior. There is certain stuff like them losing their initiative to fight once one or two of them are down , or them being more agressive once they get a few hits in. They certainly aren't static.

There are plenty of bandits that require you to deflect or counter first because they will parry defend against a series of fast attacks. you've just haven't seen them yet ( witcher world is vast after all )
it might be because that I only fought the ones in Velen and in the first area of the game; those probably aren't ''too smart'' considering it's just the beginning and the AI gets smarter later on. because what you describe there, again, I've yet to see it one single time.

Coreda

Went back to this elven ruin and found the chest above is still locked. Anyone know where the key was? Had thought I'd unlocked it already.

vvQlzhk.jpg
qfpG3zM.jpg

Going through the early game (NG+) this is the first time I noticed a secret interactive stone in the Vizima garden area that leads to a letter. Funny how I never noticed that...pretty sure I used Witcher sense in there, checking out the flowers.

All the DLC is free so you don't have to buy anything.

It's mostly just added quests / alternative looks (turn those off)

Alright, I'll just grab everything.

Alternative looks is such a weak statement from the developers, they should have stuck to their guns for the designers sake.

Spoilerish question about romances
So, I want to romance Yennefer, and I tought that you could romance triss before without consequences, but I've read that you can't. In the triss subquest I kissed her when she was drunk, but I didn't ask her to stay. Will I be able to romance yennefer then? Or even the kiss can block it?

ebevan91

So, I want to romance Yennefer, and I tought that you could romance triss before without consequences, but I've read that you can't. In the triss subquest I kissed her when she was drunk, but I didn't ask her to stay. Will I be able to romance yennefer then? Or even the kiss can block it?

The kiss does not matter.

Anyways....
Caranthir on Death March just made me ragequit. I beat him easily on Blood and Broken Bones. I beat Imlerith on Death March in just 2 tries. I'm trying to make him kill his own Ice Elementals but when he has four of them out at once it gets kind of hard to line them all up for him. And I can only get in 1 or 2 hits before he teleports again.

Finished today. I got:

Ciri as Emperor. Nilfgaard won the war and Temeria got sovereignty.
Geralt and Yen living a quiet life.
Cerys as Queen of Skellige.

I couldn't have asked for a better ending in all honesty, but is that considered the "good" ending or not? I have no idea what the other options are.

Denton

You must not tell Triss you love her if you intend to be with Yennefer. Thats all.

The kiss does not matter.

Anyways....
Caranthir on Death March just made me ragequit. I beat him easily on Blood and Broken Bones. I beat Imlerith on Death March in just 2 tries. I'm trying to make him kill his own Ice Elementals but when he has four of them out at once it gets kind of hard to line them all up for him. And I can only get in 1 or 2 hits before he teleports again.

You must not tell Triss you love her if you intend to be with Yennefer. Thats all.

ok thanks

Sai

Went back to this elven ruin and found the chest above is still locked. Anyone know where the key was? Had thought I'd unlocked it already.
Is that where the Noonwraith spawns? The key and a note are found on a corpse that's supposed to be right by the ruins, to the west, by the stairs.

Coreda

Is that where the Noonwraith spawns? The key and a note are found on a corpse that's supposed to be right by the ruins, to the west, by the stairs.

Checked the bodies at the time but none were lootable. I seem to remember finding a key on one of the corpses much earlier when I first discovered the ruins and using it on the other chest near the door, but it may have been used on currently locked chest and the game is just hiccuping.

I need to do a Deathmarch play through to get the platinum trophy on PS4, just trying to decide whether to do that as a normal new game, or new game +. Which is considered easier?

Finished today. I got:

Ciri as Emperor. Nilfgaard won the war and Temeria got sovereignty.
Geralt and Yen living a quiet life.
Cerys as Queen of Skellige.

I couldn't have asked for a better ending in all honesty, but is that considered the "good" ending or not? I have no idea what the other options are.
That's my favourite ending. It's definitely a good one, although whether it's the "best" is a matter of fierce debate ;)

Glass

Just completed it. Getting that immensely satisfied but also kid of empty feeling I've only gotten after a few games. Amazing stuff. What the fuck do I do now.

So uh, it feels like I'm preparing for the final battle, but I feel like there are SO many unresolved storylines. Late game spoilers:

I'm at Kaer Morhen and just gathered up all my bros and found Ciri, ready to face the Wild Hunt. Feels like I'm pretty much at the end of the game but there were a few things that never finished for me:

1. What happened to the Bloody Baron? He went off to try and "save" his wife after we rescued her from the witches and then we never hear from him again.

2. Speaking of the witches, they were EASILY my favorite villain. So creepy. We saw them for 5 minutes and that was it.

3. What happened to Roche and Dikstra (not sure I spelled that right) trying to kill King Radovid? They were planning it and now Roche is with me in Kaer Morhen, ready for the battle.

4. Where's Iorveth?

Did I miss out on finishing these quests? I find it hard to believe that ALL of this will still get addressed when it feels like I'm so close to the end.

So uh, it feels like I'm preparing for the final battle, but I feel like there are SO many unresolved storylines. Late game spoilers:

I'm at Kaer Morhen and just gathered up all my bros and found Ciri, ready to face the Wild Hunt. Feels like I'm pretty much at the end of the game but there were a few things that never finished for me:

1. What happened to the Bloody Baron? He went off to try and "save" his wife after we rescued her from the witches and then we never hear from him again.

2. Speaking of the witches, they were EASILY my favorite villain. So creepy. We saw them for 5 minutes and that was it.

3. What happened to Roche and Dikstra (not sure I spelled that right) trying to kill King Radovid? They were planning it and now Roche is with me in Kaer Morhen, ready for the battle.

4. Where's Iorveth?

Did I miss out on finishing these quests? I find it hard to believe that ALL of this will still get addressed when it feels like I'm so close to the end.

1. Just keep playing.

2. Keep playing.

3. Keep playing.

Not in the game, unfortunately :(

Griss

Well, after all my struggles in the last page of this thread I decided to try again! Finally got past the 2nd boss but it took me some effort, even on Easy.

...of course afterwards I discovered the reason why. Some enemies had seemed so easy on hard and some had seemed impossible (like this boss). It was the difference between swords. My silver sword (the one you start with - I've never found an upgrade) had been degrading (which I knew) but I had no money for repairs. Unfortunately at some stage it went to 0%. So I'd been playing the first 5 hours pretty much with the starting sword at 0%. Because the icons to show degradation are fucking reversed, I kept repairing my Steel sword when I had the money. (What I mean is that it shows the silver sword as the icon on the left of Geralt when it degrades, but the silver sword is used by pressing right on the d-pad. I had assumed those would correspond, and that it was my steel sword constantly degrading.)

Repaired the sword and now everything seems to make more sense again. I'm finally getting to grips with this game. It's clear that not upgrading anything but my Steel Sword at all until now was a huge mistake, but I just kept on waiting to find better stuff in the wild or get more money, neither of which seems to happen too organically. You've gotta go buy or craft it. I know that now.

Anyway, beat the boss, immediately get a glitch where it's raining indoors during the cutscenes. Quite humorous. Then outside I get a glitch where the sea is a big white polygon. Then Geralt gets stuck on a tree. Then my boat starts freaking out and warping around the place, ending up on land in some town. Game was seriously reminding me of ACIII at that point. All of this within 5 minutes without a word of a lie.

But I stuck with it and sailed out to this island with a tower. Wasn't much going on, so I went back to Keira and received a quest... that sent me right back to that island. Pretty cool coincidence. And once there... damn. Suddenly the game got good! Finally! Exploring, good writing, great voice acting, plenty of options... for the first time I was really enjoying myself. Getting proper amounts of exp, able to properly fight enemies, having a better understanding of the crap I'm picking up... the game is coming together here.

Played the next couple of missions with Keira and I have to say they were all hugely enjoyable. I still think the controls and glitches are appalling, but there's clearly enough quality here to make it worth it. The highs are very high. When the game is on, it sings. Geralt is growing on me, Keira was fantastic, and now I have some quest about some Allgod and the very start of it already has me laughing. Good stuff.

But man, that buyer's remorse was killing me over those first few hours! Good to have it finally relieved.

I need some thoughts. I loved this game starting out. I was totally sucked into uncovering question marks and doing side quests. Around the time I hit Novigrad, the game lost a major amount of steam for me. I trudged through those quests slowly, did the Skellige main quests, and activated Ugly Baby. I think one of the other missions I have is To Kaer Morhen. I made sure I did the failable quests before progressing further.

Now, I've picked up the game maybe 2-3 times in the past 2 weeks but only manage get an hour or 2 of gameplay in before I give up and do something else. Has anyone else gotten burnt out? I'm level 20 and fairly close to the end I would think. I want to keep playing but every time I do, I get bored. It's like once I got to Novigrad, my opinion made a 180.

_Clash_

I'm sure they're happy with sales....but just HOW happy?

I think I head 4 million in opening fortnight, since then no news has made it to me.

Do we think Witcher 3 could reach 10 million by new year? Word of mouth is going to do this game no harm...

I think it's going to sell well enough to demand a Witcher 4 after Cyberpunk. Despite CD ProjektRED moving to Cyberpunk and then perhaps being done with Witcherverse in their original roadmap.

Eurogamer just published some of the best game writing ever:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

I also recommend reading everyone previous piece by the same writer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt

Awesome stuff, those concept arts!

And read the comments, Bertie published some more stuff there.

All the stuff that was cut breaks my heart, but I get that it is necessary. Still, being inside Wild Hunt...that would have been something. And that pub drinking is sorely missed :)
Thread worthy ?
Good read, thanks for posting.

Man, those cut ideas ached my heart.

Actually that won't help for this one. No more info on that front for the rest of the game, where he's up to is where that plotline ends. Maybe in the DLC? Probably not though.

Oh damn,
I went with him when he charged into the bog and in the end he wound up hanging himself. I assumed that since you need to go back to the Baron's place to find Uma that that storyline would "resolve" itself. Can the Baron actually wind up living through his storyline?

Oh damn,
I went with him when he charged into the bog and in the end he wound up hanging himself. I assumed that since you need to go back to the Baron's place to find Uma that that storyline would "resolve" itself. Can the Baron actually wind up living through his storyline?

Yes.

Kalentan

I have a question... Why is the Moon and Sun so close to the planet? I guess why it explains why the world is so bright during the day and even bright during the night.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I haven't played in a long time, but I see a couple of patches happened. But I see that things are still popping in from thin air in cutscenes. Was that not something they fixed?

Also, I have a weird question about Witcher 2. Remember the cg scene they added to the pre-title screen of the enhanced edition, on the king's boat? Anyone know if a certain cg group did that, and what other games they've done cutscenes for? That was so wonderfully executed and I don't see anything of the like in 3.

frontovik

Banned
Also, I have a weird question about Witcher 2. Remember the cg scene they added to the pre-title screen of the enhanced edition, on the king's boat? Anyone know if a certain cg group did that, and what other games they've done cutscenes for? That was so wonderfully executed and I don't see anything of the like in 3.

The CG group is Platige Image, they've also done work on the CGI intro for the previous Witcher games, as well as the For Honor and Total War: Warhammer intros.

http://www.platige.com/en/cinematic/

Beat it last night!
The ending was pretty good and satisfying. How many different are there?
Got Ciri as witcher, Nilfgaard wins, Temeria reinstated, Yen & Geralt together in peace :')

My big, big problem with the game are the non-scaling sidequests. Or rather, the fact that the rewards aren't worth your time at all if you're a bit over leveled. I would love to go back and do the stuff I haven't done yet and level a bit more just for fun. But 5 XP ? Really?

Question :
Axi Puppet doesn't seem to work if I don't socket it in a mutagen slot.

But when I do so, it seems that Axi Delusion stops working in dialogues.

I'm very confused. Is it a bug or a restriction ? Do I need both Puppet and Delusion in a mutagen socket for optimal use of both ?

Hoplatee

Well, after all my struggles in the last page of this thread I decided to try again! Finally got past the 2nd boss but it took me some effort, even on Easy.

...of course afterwards I discovered the reason why. Some enemies had seemed so easy on hard and some had seemed impossible (like this boss). It was the difference between swords. My silver sword (the one you start with - I've never found an upgrade) had been degrading (which I knew) but I had no money for repairs. Unfortunately at some stage it went to 0%. So I'd been playing the first 5 hours pretty much with the starting sword at 0%. Because the icons to show degradation are fucking reversed, I kept repairing my Steel sword when I had the money. (What I mean is that it shows the silver sword as the icon on the left of Geralt when it degrades, but the silver sword is used by pressing right on the d-pad. I had assumed those would correspond, and that it was my steel sword constantly degrading.)

Repaired the sword and now everything seems to make more sense again. I'm finally getting to grips with this game. It's clear that not upgrading anything but my Steel Sword at all until now was a huge mistake, but I just kept on waiting to find better stuff in the wild or get more money, neither of which seems to happen too organically. You've gotta go buy or craft it. I know that now.

Anyway, beat the boss, immediately get a glitch where it's raining indoors during the cutscenes. Quite humorous. Then outside I get a glitch where the sea is a big white polygon. Then Geralt gets stuck on a tree. Then my boat starts freaking out and warping around the place, ending up on land in some town. Game was seriously reminding me of ACIII at that point. All of this within 5 minutes without a word of a lie.

But I stuck with it and sailed out to this island with a tower. Wasn't much going on, so I went back to Keira and received a quest... that sent me right back to that island. Pretty cool coincidence. And once there... damn. Suddenly the game got good! Finally! Exploring, good writing, great voice acting, plenty of options... for the first time I was really enjoying myself. Getting proper amounts of exp, able to properly fight enemies, having a better understanding of the crap I'm picking up... the game is coming together here.

Played the next couple of missions with Keira and I have to say they were all hugely enjoyable. I still think the controls and glitches are appalling, but there's clearly enough quality here to make it worth it. The highs are very high. When the game is on, it sings. Geralt is growing on me, Keira was fantastic, and now I have some quest about some Allgod and the very start of it already has me laughing. Good stuff.

But man, that buyer's remorse was killing me over those first few hours! Good to have it finally relieved.

Glad to see you are enjoying it now. I can imagine that sidequest in the tower being the turning point (or anything Keira involved). Absolutely fantastic quest. Hope you picked the happy ending!

And now Bloody Baron. Oh man. It really really really picks up there. Have fun!

I myself am still waiting to continue again when they fix Steam achievements (..again) so I am playing vendors for cards and stuff.

E) too lazy to read back but if I recall correctly you are playing it on console but if i'm wrong and you are on pc you can just use a mod so your equipment won't break. Saves quite a bit of money!

E2) tip for crafting - Do not vendor the Witcher gear (green background). You need them later if you want to make better versions of it.

KorrZ

Question :
Axi Puppet doesn't seem to work if I don't socket it in a mutagen slot.

But when I do so, it seems that Axi Delusion stops working in dialogues.

I'm very confused. Is it a bug or a restriction ? Do I need both Puppet and Delusion in a mutagen socket for optimal use of both ?

Skills only take effect if they're slotted in to one of your 12 skill slots. If you don't, you won't have the effect of that particular skill. Even if it is within the same tree.

Glad to see you are enjoying it now. I can imagine that sidequest in the tower being the turning point (or anything Keira involved). Absolutely fantastic quest. Hope you picked the happy ending!

And now Bloody Baron. Oh man. It really really really picks up there. Have fun!

I myself am still waiting to continue again when they fix Steam achievements (..again) so I am playing vendors for cards and stuff.

E) too lazy to read back but if I recall correctly you are playing it on console but if i'm wrong and you are on pc you can just use a mod so your equipment won't break. Saves quite a bit of money!

E2) tip for crafting - Do not vendor the Witcher gear (green background). You need them later if you want to make better versions of it.

Ooh, I didn't know about E2. Balls.

Incidentally, I'm still on my first playthrough and I did almost all of the Bloody Baron before doing any of the Keira stuff. Funny how these seemingly-vital quests can be done in such different orders. The writing and quality of all of them is so good, though, that I often find myself having no idea what's actually a main quest unless I actively look in the menu to see where it sits.

Hoplatee

Ooh, I didn't know about E2. Balls.

Incidentally, I'm still on my first playthrough and I did almost all of the Bloody Baron before doing any of the Keira stuff. Funny how these seemingly-vital quests can be done in such different orders. The writing and quality of all of them is so good, though, that I often find myself having no idea what's actually a main quest unless I actively look in the menu to see where it sits.

It doesn't really matter for the very first Witcher gear but around level 12 to 22 (I believe) you are able to craft certain Tier 1 Witcher gear sets. Just don't vendor those since those can be upgraded. You might have those quests already under Treasure Hunts quest list. Scavenger hunts. You can buy maps from vendors to show where they are located if you so desire but I cant recall who sells them.

I got to lvl 24 before I restarted the game and doing things very different now. It is amazing that you have so much choice.

That's correct. So choose wisely!

WHAT ? I've been plaing wrong and under tons of placebo skills effect the entire time ? I've been playing 200 hours in cat gear with the skill 25% more dmg per light armor but it was never actually activated ? Holy shit

What's the point of NG+ then if you can't become much stronger ? WTF

This entire game feel like a lie now

Top Bottom