• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Squishy3

I believe a full set of Witcher gear gives you bonusses. Feline armor is mostly for fast attackers, although I use it with signs as well. Griffin armor is for sign builds and Bear armor is 'tank' like and doesn't really rely on signs or anything else, just (heavy) attacks. Wolf is a bit of everything I think and I believe that's regarded as the best armor.
There's also the skill tree which is just buffs and whatnot where you put in 1 point for each armor type you like and you get various bonuses based on how many pieces of that type of armor you wear.

Hoplatee

Oh my. Explored Skellige a little while waiting for achievements to be fixed again (...). That cutscene in Skellige with that
giant and flying sirens near the boat
was awesome.

Vico

Magic acorn. What should I do with it? Give it or keep it?

I'm seeing conflicting answers online. Some are saying it'll produce three more if I give it, but I also see this could be fake.

Coreda

Magic acorn. What should I do with it? Give it or keep it?

I'm seeing conflicting answers online. Some are saying it'll produce three more if I give it, but I also see this could be fake.

This link seems to detail it well. Never knew about the acorn as I skipped the subsequent interactions.

Vico

This link seems to detail it well. Never knew about the acorn as I skipped the subsequent interactions.

Yeah, I read that. Thing is, everyone uses it as their source online, but then there are multiple people saying that, after meditating for the required 30 days, nothing happened. That's why they say this is possibly fake.

Ended up giving them the acorn, since it was still in the inventory anyway, weirdly (as explained by those who say the source is fake).

That list seems to be very incomplete. Off the top of my head 'practicum in advanced alchemy' and 'cave of dreams' seem to be missing, probably some more including the DLC quests.

Coreda

On the one hand 2 ability points! On the other it was a gift
from the Crones because of the villager's sacrificed kids

10Bb8Su.gif

tauke

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176556974]So I'm at around 230 hours according to the game clock and I'm only level 19 and at Skellige. Doesn't seem right. I do wander a lot, though.[/QUOTE]

I think the in-game clock for total playtime is broken though. Unless you absolutely never use fast travel (except when traveling to different region), I can't imagine hitting 230 hours and still level 19.

Squishy3

Spoilers for the quest Bald Mountain

Dammit, I was hoping after Ciri tosses her sword at the last Crone and it follows her as she turns into crows and flies away it'd pan into Geralt fighting Imlerith at the summit of the mountain and you take control of him. :(

RedSwirl

Honestly, the pacing of the quests in general in regards to levels is starting to mar my experience with the game a bit. There are quests I probably won't get around to until I'm 10 levels over what they suggest. I'm level 19 and am still only kinda sorta getting around to heading to Skellige. I think the issue is with the open world one thing CDProjekt couldn't wrangle is the order in which players end up discovering quests. I understand though they want to leave in the feeling and possibilities that come from discovering higher-level stuff and possibly dealing with it or having something to come back later. For a second I imagined the possibility of having quests and things way below your level get leveled up a bit, but that introduces the Skyrim conundrum all over again.

The worst though is when you start a quest only to realize its suggested level is 12 levels above where you are so you end up having to put it on the shelf for another 20 hours. I've had these two guys sitting in a cave guarded by that royal wyvern for probably ages now because I discovered the event when I was like level 12 and the suggested level for the quest is 23.

My fear is by the time I reach Skellige I'll be ridiculously overleveled for almost everything on it. Maybe the distribution and specific levels of quests should have just been balanced differently. Maybe some of them shouldn't activate at all until you reach Act 2 or 3 (or maybe that is what happens, I don't know).

Honestly, the pacing of the quests in general in regards to levels is starting to mar my experience with the game a bit. There are quests I probably won't get around to until I'm 10 levels over what they suggest. I'm level 19 and am still only kinda sorta getting around to heading to Skellige. I think the issue is with the open world one thing CDProjekt couldn't wrangle is the order in which players end up discovering quests. I understand though they want to leave in the feeling and possibilities that come from discovering higher-level stuff and possibly dealing with it or having something to come back later. For a second I imagined the possibility of having quests and things way below your level get leveled up a bit, but that introduces the Skyrim conundrum all over again.

The worst though is when you start a quest only to realize its suggested level is 12 levels above where you are so you end up having to put it on the shelf for another 20 hours. I've had these two guys sitting in a cave guarded by that royal wyvern for probably ages now because I discovered the event when I was like level 12 and the suggested level for the quest is 23.

My fear is by the time I reach Skellige I'll be ridiculously overleveled for almost everything on it. Maybe the distribution and specific levels of quests should have just been balanced differently. Maybe some of them shouldn't activate at all until you reach Act 2 or 3 (or maybe that is what happens, I don't know).

When I realised that the Witcher gear is flat out the best stuff you can equip, I kind of stopped caring about any and all quest rewards or XP. A majority of the sidequests are definitely worth doing for the content and stories alone.

Alpende

You should've went to Skellige earlier then. I went around level 14-15 and did not feel OP

JoeNut

so im in novigrad
and triss has gone on her way with the rest of the witches, i didn't even try to get her to stay as her character did nothing for me really

agreed with previous posters that W3 doesn't do a lot to help you understand why you should care about these particular characters, if you haven't played the other games (which i havent) and i have found myself trying to take the fastest option to get back to the action.

Just leveled up and got my feline gear on, need the sword and xbow making, then i think im gonna go to skellige before i'm too OP for the missions.

How do you find out how long you've played for? i must be on 30+ hours

Hoplatee

so im in novigrad
and triss has gone on her way with the rest of the witches, i didn't even try to get her to stay as her character did nothing for me really

agreed with previous posters that W3 doesn't do a lot to help you understand why you should care about these particular characters, if you haven't played the other games (which i havent) and i have found myself trying to take the fastest option to get back to the action.

Just leveled up and got my feline gear on, need the sword and xbow making, then i think im gonna go to skellige before i'm too OP for the missions.

If you are on PC it's on the 'character' tab and then press C for all kinds of stats. Should be on the bottom.

Radec

Anyone fought the Witcher guy from the Cat School DLC ?

That dude gave me a hard time in DM. So I reloaded and let him go.
KuGsj.gif

Denzar

Spending my time getting the griffin armor. Is it worth it? Level 11 here.

I've been playing for 30+ hours and I've got the feeling I barely scratched the surface!

Thorgal

Funny you mention that Royal Griffin as I ran into it while only level 12.

He killed me multiple times but that only made me want to beat it more ..

After a long gruelling fight with me sitting on the edge of my seat I finally beat it while being lvl 12 ..

It felt awesome ..

dawid

Finished the game after playing it throughout the summer. Got an ending i was really happy with, everthing felt good.

Then i watched other endings on youtube and one got me really down, plus i kinda started missing Geralt and the rest of the Witcher universe. Sad that the whole tale is over. :(

misho8723

Banned
Oh god, maybe we are going to get a mod which disables the blue fog in the distance and has better lighting.. and I want it now :) at the moments it needs some fixing so let's hope that they can be fixed by the guy, because it looks so good

zbezmlhy3.jpg.jpg

zbezmlhy2.jpg.jpg

witcher3%202015-08-24%2022-26-35-43_zpsp53z2zpc.jpg~original

witcher3%202015-08-25%2019-11-42-50_zpsvkoxbg0i.jpg~original

witcher3%202015-08-24%2023-10-51-09_zpszvdezuor.jpg~original

Squishy3

so im in novigrad

For Witcher 3 you can actually probably get by without ever playing the other 2 games and just reading the books, since Witcher 3 primarily builds off the storyline that was built in the books. Obviously the effects of the events in the first 2 games do affect the current state of the world when you start The Witcher 3 but if you know just the big story beats (Geralt had amnesia, took Triss as a lover, that's why Yennefer is so pissy at him, the previous king got assassinated so Redania and Nilfgaard are fighting over Temeria, stuff like that) you can understand most of what is going on in regards to the current state of the world.

Most other callbacks to the previous games are references to side quest characters and the like you met in the previous games.

Geralt, Dandelion Yennefer and Ciri are mostly the focus in the books, while Triss, Vesemir and the other witchers are barely present or not at all and are mostly developed in the games. The books are really good and aren't that long a read, either.

ebevan91

I believe a full set of Witcher gear gives you bonusses. Feline armor is mostly for fast attackers, although I use it with signs as well. Griffin armor is for sign builds and Bear armor is 'tank' like and doesn't really rely on signs or anything else, just (heavy) attacks. Wolf is a bit of everything I think and I believe that's regarded as the best armor.

Feline: Fast attacks/fast stamina regen
Griffin: Mixture of melee/signs with emphasis on signs
Bear: Strong attacks/slow stamina regen/higher armor
Wolf: Like Griffin but with emphasis on adrenaline/melee

I seriously hate Gwent :(. I can't win worth a shit.

Stick with the Northern Realms set and work on getting some Decoys/Spies, as they'll really help you out.

I would also recommend keeping your deck lean (only use the minimum number of cards) and by extension only use your most powerful cards (unless you have a lower-numbered card with an effect on it, as an effect is almost-always more useful than a "normal" card).

I'd also skip weather cards (or only use one of each), as I've had very few cases where I would actually want one in my current hand.

This game...

Just completed
Isle of mists
and I did not expect the feels at the end of that mission. Seeing
how Geralt reacted at the idea of Ciri being dead and the how the scene played out had me on a roller coaster!
I beat Witcher 1 and 2 this year to get ready for this game and it paid off big time. Now I'm starting
Battle at Kaer Morhen and watching my full crew assembled is so goddamn rewarding. Seeing Roche, Letho, Zoltan, my fellow Wolves and my W3 ppl united is getting me PUMPED. I can't wait to take down the Wild Hunt!
I had to suspend during the council but I can't wait to get back to it.

GOTY and maybe even gen. I don't know how another game can top this!

RP912

Banned
Stick with the Northern Realms set and work on getting some Decoys/Spies, as they'll really help you out.

I would also recommend keeping your deck lean (only use the minimum number of cards) and by extension only use your most powerful cards (unless you have a lower-numbered card with an effect on it, as an effect is almost-always more useful than a "normal" card).

I'd also skip weather cards (or only use one of each), as I've had very few cases where I would actually want one in my current hand.

Thanks for the tips. I actually did keep my deck lean and try to work my way up with powerful cards. I need to get a better deck.

Davide

The most common special character cards I've gotten have been "sword" so frost is really useful for me. It's essential against a monster deck.

The most common special character cards I've gotten have been "sword" so frost is really useful for me. It's essential against a monster deck.

I don't use any weather cards and haven't had much trouble (I even finished the
Gwent Tournament
last night).

The trick with monster decks is to realize that a good Scorch card can counter their cards that call in other units. Most of the time those cards call in units with the same number-rating, so as long as you make sure that they're the strongest units (which will likely happen as monster deck users tend to use buff cards pretty often) you can wipe them out in one go.

It's also important to remember that you don't have to win every round. If monster deck users whip out cards that have you clearly outmatched, you can goad them on a bit by playing your weaker cards (so they exhaust more of their good cards) before passing on the round.

Hoplatee

Also worth noting that if you have two spy cards in your deck you can just play lousy till he passes and then you use them. He won't dummy them then. It is risky though.

Davide

The trick with monster decks is to realize that a good Scorch card can counter their cards that call in other units. Most of the time those cards call in units with the same number-rating, so as long as you make sure that they're the strongest units (which will likely happen as monster deck users tend to use buff cards pretty often) you can wipe them out in one go.

It's also important to remember that you don't have to win every round. If monster deck users whip out cards that have you clearly outmatched, you can goad them on a bit by playing your weaker cards (so they exhaust more of their good cards) before passing on the round.
Yeah, I'll usually play my weaker cards every first round. I'll have to try using the scorch card. Usually I use frost + the Villentretenmerth 7 card which completely cancels all close combat cards out.

Is it normal to be up to Ugly Baby in the game and still have only have Northern Realms as a playable deck though?

Yeah, I'll usually play my weaker cards every first round. I'll have to try using the scorch card. Usually I use frost + the Villentretenmerth 7 card which completely cancels all close combat cards out.

Is it normal to be up to Ugly Baby in the game and still have only have Northern Realms as a playable deck though?

No. I had Nilfgaard and Monsters ready at that point :p

I forgot what that 7 card was called, but that's probably the best defense against a stacked monster deck.

I just passed Ugly Baby myself, and I've got plenty of cards in all of the decks. I don't know if I'd call some of them "playable" but they're useable. Northern Realms is still the best deck, in my opinion.

Squishy3

This game...

Just completed
Isle of mists
and I did not expect the feels at the end of that mission. Seeing
how Geralt reacted at the idea of Ciri being dead and the how the scene played out had me on a roller coaster!
I beat Witcher 1 and 2 this year to get ready for this game and it paid off big time. Now I'm starting
Battle at Kaer Morhen and watching my full crew assembled is so goddamn rewarding. Seeing Roche, Letho, Zoltan, my fellow Wolves and my W3 ppl united is getting me PUMPED. I can't wait to take down the Wild Hunt!
I had to suspend during the council but I can't wait to get back to it.

GOTY and maybe even gen. I don't know how another game can top this!
That part of the game is awesome, enjoy.

Lol, crafted a piece of the Mastercrafted Griffin armor without paying attention to the level requirement. Good thing I didn't do the whole set lmao.

SkylineRKR

That part of the game is awesome, enjoy.

Lol, crafted a piece of the Mastercrafted Griffin armor without paying attention to the level requirement. Good thing I didn't do the whole set lmao.

The reason I ran naked for a level or 2 because I upgraded Feline to superior too soon. I crafted the whole deal. Broke my other shit down as well.

Crafted and bought some cheap stuff and played on, still worked. There is also a potion that lets you equip armor above your level for an hour or so, which I had to do in order to complete a tougher mission.

ZangBa

I just bought this game today and I'm downloading an update that will take a few hours to download, so my question is, should I just wait for the update to finish or can I start the game for now without much of a difference? Mainly concerned about any game breaking glitches and stuff like that rather than a bad framerate.

Damn you Dijkstra.

Why did you have to make me choose between you or Roche and Ves. He was such an entertaining character.

That quest was fucking awesome, though.

Squishy3

Finished the game. Content with the ending I got. Ending spoilers, obviously:

Got the ending where you tell the emperor Ciri died stopping the White Frost and she becomes a witcher with Geralt. I called it, but it still brought a smile.

Coreda

But... Lossless? :(

Someone should comment on the Youtube page about a FLAC/lossless version, as it's early enough to see some eyeballs. I honestly wouldn't buy a lossy version.

Also missing these tracks from the original digital OST bonus:

code said:
The Fields of Ard Skellig
Ladies of the Woods
Merchants of Novigrad
Hunt or Be Hunted

Hoping it has the score from the Beautiful World of The Witcher trailer, loved that track. Edit: doesn't appear. :(

Edit 2: the An Skellig theme made it on at least, as When No Man Has Gone Before.

Anteater

Wow. I'm gonna be playing this until November...

The story goes a lot faster in the second half, but I guess if you explored a lot and want to continue exploring it'll take a while, but for me I got kind of sick of running around, so the second half went a lot faster for me from just focusing on the missions.

Davide

The story goes a lot faster in the second half, but I guess if you explored a lot and want to continue exploring it'll take a while, but for me I got kind of sick of running around, so the second half went a lot faster for me from just focusing on the missions.
Are there a lot less sidequests in the second half, being level 25+?

Squishy3

Are there a lot less sidequests in the second half, being level 25+?
Yes. You'll have done most of the major sidequests already too. Some later in the game quests I recommend doing are "Tower from Nowhere" and the DLC quest "Skellige's Most Wanted."

Tallied up my total playtime and it's just under 98 hours with most of the significant sidequests completed. (Oddly, I managed to miss the actual Yennefer romance quest. I looked up when it occurs and that is a pretty small window that it's doable in.) If you want to check for yourself hit the hotkey for player stats in the skill tree window, it'll be at the bottom.

Top Bottom