• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

megalowho

Finally finished over the weekend. Took my damn time witching and gwenting about and was glad that I did. Great game.

Was prepared for the final act to be just a mission or two and ended up being pleasantly surprised how much was left, I felt propelled to press onward but not at the expense of rushing the characters or story. Left the world in a pretty optimal state but still felt melancholy, which was what I was hoping for. Only regret is
romancing Triss instead of Yennifer. Knew I'd jumped the gun during the scene where you let Yen down, the tension during the rest of the game was palpable and romance in general was handled with care and nuance (and separate from just good ol' sex). Not usually the case, well done CD Projekt RED.

NG+ sounds like a daunting undertaking but I'll definitely go back in and mess around some more, still so many question marks and notice boards out there. Especially in Skellige - don't know if the seas are worth exploring fully, might have to consult a guide for that. Want to at least hit 34 and deck Geralt out in some mastercrafted Witcher gear before Hearts of Stone arrives. That, and more gwent beatdowns.

Philippo

Finally finished the game.

Got the
Ciri becomes Empress, Geralt leaves with Yen
ending.

Which one do you consider better: this or the
witcher
one?

All in all, an unforgettable ride: many great moments, an absurd amount of time invested, all payed off. Will probably stay in my top 5 games ever for a long time.

Lunar15

Finally finished the game.

Got the
Ciri becomes Empress, Geralt leaves with Yen
ending.

Which one do you consider better: this or the
witcher
one?

All in all, an unforgettable ride: many great moments, an absurd amount of time invested, all payed off. Will probably stay in my top 5 games ever for a long time.

Personally, I prefer the ending you got. The conversations near the end are spectacular.

KorrZ

The game really is incredible. Arriving in Skellige will go down on my all time 'mind-blowing moments' list. That part of the game is as good as anything I have ever played, ever. I've gone from hating the game over the first few hours to wondering how it could ever be topped in terms of size, scope, writing, characters, world-building, and I'm not even finished.

My next mission is
The Battle of Kaer Morhen
. I'm excited, unfortunately someone spoiled it earlier in this thread with a really poorly used spoiler tag that I won't quote as it would make it worse.

One thing that bothers me at this point in the game is how many low-level quests I have sticking in my quest list. Every side-quest is so good that being able to breeze through a low-level one doesn't seem right. I feel like they should have separated the side-quests into 'Main Story'; 'Supplemental' and 'Secondary' lists, with the Secondary ones scaling up to a certain extent once you hit certain story markers. As for Supplemental I mean political quests, romance quests and 'Gerald's friends' quests. The ones that really make a difference in the world, that feel like borderline main story-line quests. (Especially when you're doing Brothers in Arms, felt like there was a bunch of side quests that became all but mandatory there, and as such were almost mislabeled). These are also the quests that (I believe)
you fail if you don't complete by Isle of Mists.

I realise that level scaling is hard as hell to do right, and it shouldn't apply in the open world, but it just sucks to see all these level 7-11 quests and feel like I won't get the 'proper' experience unless I wait until NG+.

I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Really, the best part about the side quests is the character interactions, dialogue, world building and little narratives. It does suck that you out level stuff so easily but the combat isn't what makes the quests great anyways.

NG+ sounds like a daunting undertaking but I'll definitely go back in and mess around some more, still so many question marks and notice boards out there. Especially in Skellige - don't know if the seas are worth exploring fully, might have to consult a guide for that. Want to at least hit 34 and deck Geralt out in some mastercrafted Witcher gear before Hearts of Stone arrives. That, and more gwent beatdowns.

Pretty much all of the ?'s at sea in Skellige are smugglers caches. So unless you need more stuff to sell for cash, or want to try and get lucky with some potion/oils etc. recipes than they aren't really too exciting.

IKizzLE

And while I'm not there yet, what do people think is more difficult - Death March on NG+ or vanilla?
I'm on bloody baron death March ng+.
About the same difficulty if you've already beaten the game once and know what to expect. Haven't died once, level 43 and still rocking my mastercrafted lvl 34 wolf armor.

Sucks that I can't get the ng+ version until kahr morhen

megalowho

A few more thoughts on the overall experience:

- Everything involving rock trolls was gold. Love the personality of those things.

- As dark as the game can get at times, some of the more memorable questlines were the lighter ones.
The masquerade ball, Dandelion's cabaret, The Play's The Thing, the sheep guy, the gwent tournament, getting drunk with Druids, etc.
- all help to shape Geralt as a character and make the Northern Kingdoms feel like more than just a canvas for sad stories and bad situations.

- The biggest "wtf, is this happening" quest I came across was
Of Dairy and Darkness
. Was just roaming the countryside one minute and then off on one of the weirder tangents the game had in store for me the next.

- Despite the massive scope of the game the only time I felt things start to drag was searching for Dandelion in Novigrad. A good excuse get to know the city but that chain could probably have used some trimming. Also not a fan of the Crow's Perch layout and the run from the fast travel gate to all the characters of importance there.

- The relationship between Ciri and Geralt is incredibly well done.
Especially liked that for all Geralt's mentoring and fatherly instincts, what she really needs when they finally reunite is a friend to make her laugh and forget about her heavy burden. More about letting go than having to protect. The scene where she first wakes up, the snowball fight, visiting Skjall's grave, busting up Avallac'h's lab, listening in on her meeting with the lodge of sorceresses, their final walk in the woods before she leaves for Vizima - all great.

Pretty much all of the ?'s at sea in Skellige are smugglers caches. So unless you need more stuff to sell for cash, or want to try and get lucky with some potion/oils etc. recipes than they aren't really too exciting.
Thanks, kinda figured as much. Got plenty of cash so I'm probably good there.

Philippo

Personally, I prefer the ending you got. The conversations near the end are spectacular.

Yeah, it's probably less canon than the other since
Ciri always wanted to go on adventures as a witcher and it's kinda obvious she was set up as the protagonist for TW4
, but this one nicely fits the "destined to do something great" and i really think
she could be a great Empress

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm on bloody baron death March ng+.
About the same difficulty if you've already beaten the game once and know what to expect. Haven't died once, level 43 and still rocking my mastercrafted lvl 34 wolf armor.

Sucks that I can't get the ng+ version until kahr morhen
It would be nice if on NG+ that enemies and quests automatically just scale to your level. I think that's one way to give people and incentive to do lower level quests.

Finalow

please tell me that I can somehow remove the items which I can't craft or I don't want to craft from the crafting list?

that is so annoying when I try to make new gear, I have to check everything every single fucking time.

bearbomb

Neo Member
Hey guys just wanted to check how far in I am.

I got to
Skelliage (sp) and talked to Yen and the Jarl, got told to go find his daughter and son or w/e

I'm about level 20

Karl Hawk

Banned
please tell me that I can somehow remove the items which I can't craft or I don't want to craft from the crafting list?

that is so annoying when I try to make new gear, I have to check everything every single fucking time.

You can pin an armor/sword diagram and it will display the required components to craft them in the shop.

Philippo

The only disappointment i had with the finale is that
it was mostly told via animated cutscene, that really felt like a lame send-off for Geralt's last adventure

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there anyway I can get a complete save file on my PS4 without completing the game so I can hop right into NG+?
You can't use somebody else's save as yours. All saves are linked to the account they were created on. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't been cracked yet.
Just man up and play it the proper way. You gain far more appreciation and understanding of your abilities if you build into them.

Finalow

You can pin an armor/sword diagram and it will display the required components to craft them in the shop.
that has nothing to do with what I think it's annoying, in order to pin I still have to check everything to see which piece of gear I can equip, craft and if it's actually worth it.
I guess I could learn the names of all the them.

finished the game.
it seems to me that the game is a bit frontloaded (the first act is like 70% of the games content while the last two acts are mostly cutscenes) but I dont mind.

kinda sad that this is the last witcher game (at least for geralt)

Currently its definately up there as a GOTY contender with Bloodborne.

teokrazia

I may have a bug On Thin Ice quest...
Once I join Avallac'h, telling him that I'm ready for the battle, a red warning says me that Reson of State has failed, while I've done it and it correctly appears among others completed quests, in green.
Think that this could affect my adventure somehow or it's just an innocuous 'interface' glitch?

Edit: googled. Seems pretty common [and innocuous, luckily]

Karl Hawk

Banned
Tried the Medieval look preset (From Real Graphical Suite presets), and honestly, I prefer the vanilla look. Medieval look is too gritty and dark for my own sake. I never understood why some prefer it over the vanilla look.

Okay so..
did anybody got the impression that there is a certain romantic tension between Geralt and Ciri? I am glad that the game does not allow for such choice, as it would ruin a lot but still I feel that the whole intereaction between the two feels different from a father-daughter relationship (geralt isnt even ciris father).
I may have a bug On Thin Ice quest...
Once I join Avallac'h, telling him that I'm ready for the battle, a red warning says me that Reson of State has failed, while I've done it and it correctly appears among others completed quests, in green.
Think that this could affect my adventure somehow or it's just an innocuous 'interface' glitch?

Edit: googled. Seems pretty common [and innocuous, luckily]

I had that too. I panicked looked up google and it seems to be normal.
the ending was not effected btw.

game in general is buggy as hell (but still great, mostly due to the excellent storytelling).

Okay so..
did anybody got the impression that there is a certain romantic tension between Geralt and Ciri? I am glad that the game does not allow for such choice, as it would ruin a lot but still I feel that the whole intereaction between the two feels different from a father-daughter relationship (geralt isnt even ciris father).
God no, what scenes in particular did you get that from?

JoeNut

Crafting stuff is annoying, and im not keen on the feline armor at all, surely they could've made crafting a bit better, like not having an infinite list of a million pairs of pants i can make which either are way too low or way too high leveled.

Okay so..

What the actual fuck?

No. Christ, no.

God no, what scenes in particular did you get that from?

What the actual fuck?

No. Christ, no.

I did not get that feeling until Ciri and Geralt reunited. Especially there was a certain tension going between the two when Geralt and Ciri met with Emyr (especially when Geralt denies to be paid by Emyror)or with Avalach or when Geralt meets with one of those two and speaks about Ciri. Other instances include scenes where Geralt thrashes the laboratory of Avalach. Also the way how Ciri is thinking only about her "father" at the brink of death. the whole romance angle with Skjall on the other hand is really poorly handled and not very believable.

At the end of the day I am glad that they did not open that option, as I think it would have ruined the whole story but it would have been an easy thing to do.

Coreda

Other instances include scenes where Geralt thrashes the laboratory of Avalach. Also the way how Ciri is thinking only about her "father" at the brink of death.

Yeah, I think you're alone in this interpretation :p The former scene was one of my favorite character development moments though, the direction of the beginning is perfect and ends with a cute touch.

Roach has been dethroned as worst horse in the world by D. Horse. A huge, unbelievable attack the weak points for massive damage win in future GOTY considerations.

IMO of course.

But he does suck, right?

Right.

I did not get that feeling until Ciri and Geralt reunited. Especially there was a certain tension going between the two when Geralt and Ciri met with Emyr (especially when Geralt denies to be paid by Emyror)or with Avalach or when Geralt meets with one of those two and speaks about Ciri. Other instances include scenes where Geralt thrashes the laboratory of Avalach. Also the way how Ciri is thinking only about her "father" at the brink of death. the whole romance angle with Skjall on the other hand is really poorly handled and not very believable.

At the end of the day I am glad that they did not open that option, as I think it would have ruined the whole story but it would have been an easy thing to do.

Dude. The very fact that you even got this idea in your head is really, really weird, to put it lightly.

Just no. They have a father-daughter relationship for sure.

The game really is incredible. Arriving in Skellige will go down on my all time 'mind-blowing moments' list. That part of the game is as good as anything I have ever played, ever. I've gone from hating the game over the first few hours to wondering how it could ever be topped in terms of size, scope, writing, characters, world-building, and I'm not even finished.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this. I read this post by you a day or two ago and then last night finally got on the boat to Ireland Skellige. The boat ride was cool enough but it didn't seem remarkable to me in the context of the rest of the game (which is fantastic) - I'm just wondering if I missed something, or if it's just a matter of taste?

Also Roach just seemed to appear out of nowhere! Then again, I guess he always does.

HeelPower

Its been many hours..I am like level 15 and I still can't find the "Ladies of the Wood" book that I need to start the quest.

Should I just give up and search online for it ? Is It bugged ? Am I missing the obvious ?

noshten

Alright guys I've just recently upgraded my PC and started playing the game - I'm only into the second location right now. Do you recommend I just try to find and craft gear - also is there an easy way to rack up money?

Also I'd be going mainly Alchemy with my first playthrough - I found it to be the best way to play W2. Also do you know how I can use Potion during combat.
Also what is that 4th Skill Tree with 1/1 skills are any of those recommended ?

JoeNut

Its been many hours..I am like level 15 and I still can't find the "Ladies of the Wood" book that I need to start the quest.

Should I just give up and search online for it ? Is It bugged ? Am I missing the obvious ?

You are way OP already, just select the quest and it'll guide you to where you need to go..then select the book in your menu and read it.

HeelPower

You are way OP already, just select the quest and it'll guide you to where you need to go..then select the book in your menu and read it.

AHHHH I am utterly stupid!

The damn book is in the quest items not in the "books" section of the menu!!!!!

I literally searched every vendor and nook and cranny I could think of but,when I couldn't find it,I just went ahead and did many Novigrad quests...now this quest will be devoid of challenge.

AHHHH I am utterly stupid!

The damn book is in the quest items not in the "books" section of the menu!!!!!

I literally searched every vendor and nook and cranny I could think of but,when I couldn't find it,I just went ahead and did many Novigrad quests...now this quest will be devoid of challenge.

This quest is absolutely awesome just for story and atmosphere alone. Its strength doesn't depend on difficulty. I wouldn't worry at all.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I know there are dozens of people who disliked it due to how the main quest drags on, but man, Novigrad made a huge impression for me.

I'd dare say both Skellige and Novigrad will be on the top of my favorite video games locations for many years to come.

Davide

I've been having an issue in the game on PS4 every time where the current objective of a quest doesn't automatically switch to being the active, filled in circle objective. Has anyone else been having this?

teokrazia

Beaten, after almost 200 hours, Level 35, completing every subquest, contract and scavenger hunt I had in the Journal [not interested in Gwent, boxe and horse rides].

I accurately avoided spoilers, so I really didn't know what to expect from the ending.
In mine Ciri will live as a Witcher.
I'm a happy dad :)

After the end, I've aticvated Question Marks on the Map, just for curiosity
White Orchard: 5 [cool]
Kaer Morhen: 1 [yes, yes, yes, I've definitely explored and experienced basically everything the game had to offer, I'm proud of it!]
Velen: 59 [sorry, what?]
Skellige: 102 [oh... my...]

What a generous, imperfect masterpiece with a huge hearth! :)

Playing on Xbox one and recently I have run into stuttering issues as of late. I have tried installing and reinstalling twice now. Any one have any other suggestions?

Hoplatee

Alright guys I've just recently upgraded my PC and started playing the game - I'm only into the second location right now. Do you recommend I just try to find and craft gear - also is there an easy way to rack up money?

Also I'd be going mainly Alchemy with my first playthrough - I found it to be the best way to play W2. Also do you know how I can use Potion during combat.
Also what is that 4th Skill Tree with 1/1 skills are any of those recommended ?

For money there is a great place to farm in Velen. It is very dull but eh, if in need of money....

Somewhere all the way to the northeastern part of the map there is some farm. Can't recall the name but should be obvious when you look at the map. Kill cows, meditate, kill. Repeat. Sell the hides / meat / cow milk to vendors. You'll be rich in no time. Just igni them down. Even better with autoloot addon :)

As for potions - you can assign them to two hotkeys or open up inv and then drink them by pressing 'e' I think it was.

Still waiting for achievement fix. It really is taking long :( Farmed and bought so much stuff that I can upgrade every Witcher gear haha. Ran out of things to do now before they work again so I can continue moving onwards again.

Griss

Finally got to the last boss... and the game has crashed twice in the middle of it.

...it's a beautiful disaster, this game. A magnificent nightmare.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this. I read this post by you a day or two ago and then last night finally got on the boat to Ireland Skellige. The boat ride was cool enough but it didn't seem remarkable to me in the context of the rest of the game (which is fantastic) - I'm just wondering if I missed something, or if it's just a matter of taste?

Also Roach just seemed to appear out of nowhere! Then again, I guess he always does.

1. I refused to look at the map (I consider that spoilers) so I was expecting a White Orchard sized area. I thought Velen / Novigrad was the 'main world'. What Skellige proved to be (a whole new world to explore) blew my mind, when I thought I was near the end of the game's content.
2. The visuals and art are so much stronger in Skellige it's ridiculous. Makes Velen look like it was done by amateurs in comparison.
3. All the complaints I had about the music in the game being dull ended - the music in Skellige is stunning.
4. I set off in a boat like Wind Waker, assuming the islands in the distance were so far away that they were 'window-dressing'. Minutes passed, one came closer, and then holy shit I'm plunged into a new and awesome quest. I realise I can sail around all of these islands. As someone who grew up sailing (and has AC4 Black Flag as one of his all time favourite games) I can't tell you how much my enjoyment of the game shot up with this discovery.
5. The accents in Skellige are largely Donegal Irish and Northern Irish. As an Irishman with a Donegal granny, I smile whenever they talk. I get such a kick out of it.

But more than anything it was the discovery that after the biggest open world I'd ever explored, the same game hid an even bigger one inside of it. That's mindblowing to me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If Triss already escaped with the other mages, can I not complete that quest that requires showing her something?

If Triss already escaped with the other mages, can I not complete that quest that requires showing her something?

You'll meet her again. Although that quest (I assume we're talking about the same thing) bugged out for me on the Xbox One. I show her the statue, she tells me to go someplace else, we go there and she's just stood still. Every time I tried to speak with her no prompt for the quest appeared.

Top Bottom