• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Minions

Having some issues in Novagrad on PS4. I just wanted to know if everyone else has these issues. I apparently am out running the load speed on foot.... some times the map in the corner goes black, the game map is fine though. Areas are blurry for up to 3-5 seconds before the textures finally load. Some times when I save the game, it won't save until I hit the pause button and then it will immediately save.

Glitches:
During one of the horse races it loaded for 45 seconds, blipped to me on a horse, went back to loading, showed me on a swimming horse, then "failed the race".

The game really was not chugging this hard early on. Part of me wonders if it is due to all the mutagens and stuff I have on my alchemy/crafting page now. I have 39 rows. Play time Days 13, Hours 3

Hoplatee

Finally back to the point where I was before I had to restart due to bugged saves. Level 22, Skellige here I come again!

The very few things I did over there were great. The music.... <3

Probably not even half way through the game. Feels good! (Gwent, races, sidequests etc, I do it all!)

But I know I have to pick who to romance soon. I can't decide :( i adore Triss so much but but but...

Zocano

Finished this last night and still mulling it over.

I guess it's accurate to say that I wish I was more impressed? My enjoyment of the game was immense nearing the conclusion and then I felt like I needed the story to stick the landing as beautifully as Last of Us did and then ... it didn't? So I'm kind of left wanting.

full game spoilers:
I liked it more when the Wild Hunt were sick ass death specters of doom and not just pissy elves
- This was a sticking point for me for a large crux of the game and I knew inevitably the conclusion of the game wouldn't be satisfying for me since it had to fall in line with that. Witcher 1 hyped me up too much, I guess.

Just had an interesting encounter. Near the end game and was doing some business in Crows Perch. When leaving the town (as i have previously numerous times) I was met with a surprise cut scene in which some "Baron" dudes were givig a peasant a hard time. I interfere and they attacked me. Crazy thing is one of the dudes was Level 48! Never seen that before. He hit like a truck, but since it was only him, was able to repeatedly stun and wittle him down.

Didnt think enemy levels got that high. Anyone else seen something like this?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On NG+ deathmarch,I am doing the Of Swords and Dumplings quest on level 44 and the recommended level is level 54, which is the level of enemies I am facing.

Anyway in my previous playthrough one thing I would do is use the second level Aard to take over cleavers men to get them to fight against. It's pretty much my defacto strategy for deathmarch. Apparently for this fight it won't work. They are 10 levels higher than me and Aard takeover over won't affect them. Before anyone asks, yes it is properly set in my character screen.

Am I experiencing a glitch or is it some new change for deathmarch on NG+? If so it would have been nice if the fucking devoplers would have shared this information.
FYI, this is my third playthrough.
1st was normal. Second was Deathmarch, third is deathmarch NG+

On NG+ deathmarch,I am doing the Of Swords and Dumplings quest on level 44 and the recommended level is level 54, which is the level of enemies I am facing.

Anyway in my previous playthrough one thing I would do is use the second level Aard to take over cleavers men to get them to fight against. It's pretty much my defacto strategy for deathmarch. Apparently for this fight it won't work. They are 10 levels higher than me and Aard takeover over won't affect them. Before anyone asks, yes it is properly set in my character screen.

Am I experiencing a glitch or is it some new change for deathmarch on NG+? If so it would have been nice if the fucking devoplers would have shared this information.
FYI, this is my third playthrough.
1st was normal. Second was Deathmarch, third is deathmarch NG+

I don't know why Axii isn't working, but I actually did that encounter entirely without Axii.

Basically you can run behind you and there's a wooden covered area that you can use the nearby objects to climb up on. Once you're up there you can get on the wall and basically just watch the fight happen.

The AI dudes helping you aren't very strong, so it'll take a while, but eventually Cleaver's guys will run out of health. You could also start taking potshots at them with a crossbow, if you're so inclined.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't know why Axii isn't working, but I actually did that encounter entirely without Axii.

Basically you can run behind you and there's a wooden covered area that you can use the nearby objects to climb up on. Once you're up there you can get on the wall and basically just watch the fight happen.

The AI dudes helping you aren't very strong, so it'll take a while, but eventually Cleaver's guys will run out of health. You could also start taking potshots at them with a crossbow, if you're so inclined.
I meant to say Axii. Anyway, after the fourth try I got through it. It's not an insanely tough fight, but you have no margin for error if you make a mistake and you have to carefully attack the enemies one by one, but in this instances where they bunch up two much attack you at once and you're dead. That mistake is bad on deathmarch.

Anyway, it was probably a glitch since cleavers men mostly stood there the whole fight,

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I meant to say Axii. Anyway, after the fourth try I got through it. It's not an insanely tough fight, but you have no margin for error if you make a mistake and you have to carefully attack the enemies one by one, but in this instances where they bunch up two much attack you at once and you're dead. That mistake is bad on deathmarch.

Anyway, it was probably a glitch since cleavers men mostly stood there the whole fight,

OKay what in the goddamn fucking fucking hell is going ON?

Fuck these goddamn glitches. Same quest, enemies still aren't affected by Axii and I also get one hit killed even with level 3 Quen cast....

This is so aggravating.

Joco

Got a question for anyone who has completed the game.

I'm going for the Assassin of Kings trophy, where you have to kill Radovid. I've done the series of sidequests in Novigrad you have to complete, but I'm now wondering if I've gone too far ahead as the next quest is the Isle of Mists and the quest Blindingly Obvious (which appears to be the quest ahead of Reason of State, in which Radovid is killed). A guide I'm reading says to do this before you go to the Isle of Mists so I'm wondering what I missed? Don't think I have it in me to start another game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Got a question for anyone who has completed the game.

I'm going for the Assassin of Kings trophy, where you have to kill Radovid. I've done the series of sidequests in Novigrad you have to complete, but I'm now wondering if I've gone too far ahead as the next quest is the Isle of Mists and the quest Blindingly Obvious (which appears to be the quest ahead of Reason of State, in which Radovid is killed). A guide I'm reading says to do this before you go to the Isle of Mists so I'm wondering what I missed? Don't think I have it in me to start another game.

You didn't miss anything. That is a missprint. You wont be able to complete that until AFTER the Isle of the Mists. Don't worry too much about missing important quests before Isle of the Mists, the game does a pretty good job of making it clear what you are expected before Isle of the Mists. Plus, even if you start Isle of the Mists and see that you failed something you can always reload your save.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It would have been nice if they had opened up one or two additional mutagen slots for NG+

Of course, some would argue that it would make things too easy, but man it would be much simpler than switching back and forth between so many different skills.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Here is a loaded question and the answer will provide major spoilers so be warned.

Anyway,
I am on my third playthrough, but I am still confused about the order of events that took place in Ciri's story. Mainly the parts with Skellige.

Here is what I do understand:
In Velen, she had clearly arrived alone and was at that point separated from Avallach. After Velen (and the basilisk) she then travels to Novigrad and recruits Dandelion to help her find a mage that can unlock the phylactery (which I assume she wants to use to bring back Avallach) leading to whoreson junior. I know that a trip to bookened Velen and Novigrad, but I am always puzzled as to what all happened and which quests pieced together the first skellige trip and the last one.

In short, I am hoping someone can provide a clearer summary of Ciri's story.

JoeNut

so can anyone actually explain what use Quen level 2 is? because i feel like ive totally wasted an ability point, why would i want to hold down the shield button and not attack??

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
so can anyone actually explain what use Quen level 2 is? because i feel like ive totally wasted an ability point, why would i want to hold down the shield button and not attack??
It can be a good way to get health back.

I personally never use it.

Thorgal

Whats not to love about a shield that blocks attacks and gives a big portion of your health back ?

level it up to full and it will no longer take up your adrenaline except when you block hits .

That one skill right there is your lord and savior on deathmarch difficulty.

Diodiablo

Banned
Here is a loaded question and the answer will provide major spoilers so be warned.

Anyway,
I am on my third playthrough, but I am still confused about the order of events that took place in Ciri's story. Mainly the parts with Skellige.

Here is what I do understand:
In Velen, she had clearly arrived alone and was at that point separated from Avallach. After Velen (and the basilisk) she then travels to Novigrad and recruits Dandelion to help her find a mage that can unlock the phylactery (which I assume she wants to use to bring back Avallach) leading to whoreson junior. I know that a trip to bookened Velen and Novigrad, but I am always puzzled as to what all happened and which quests pieced together the first skellige trip and the last one.

In short, I am hoping someone can provide a clearer summary of Ciri's story.
She goes to Skellinge twice, first time she gets ambushed by the WH while with Avallach, which get cursed and teleports her to Velen, he wants her to reach his hideout, but the teleport fails (because of the curse) and she meets the baron. After that she goes to Novigrad, where she tries to find a cure for the curse (with Dandelion and Whoreson). She teleports back to Skellinge where the WH finds her again before she takes the ship to the Isle of Mists.
hope it makes sense.

Jacob4815

Having some issues in Novagrad on PS4. I just wanted to know if everyone else has these issues. I apparently am out running the load speed on foot.... some times the map in the corner goes black, the game map is fine though. Areas are blurry for up to 3-5 seconds before the textures finally load. Some times when I save the game, it won't save until I hit the pause button and then it will immediately save.

Yep, I have the same problems in Novigrad and on PS4.
And PS4 crashed once, too. Wait for the textures to load, if you do anything wrong the game could crash.

These issues seem to appear when I enter/exit into/from the Triss'hideout, and when I run on foot in the inner streets of the city.

Whats not to love about a shield that blocks attacks and gives a big portion of your health back ?

level it up to full and it will no longer take up your adrenaline except when you block hits .

That one skill right there is your lord and savior on deathmarch difficulty.

You can also time your shield activation in order to trigger a bug so that you next sword swing will ALWAYS be a critical hit.

This skill is just too OP , i love it

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yep, I have the same problems in Novigrad and on PS4.
And PS4 crashed once, too. Wait for the textures to load, if you do anything wrong the game could crash.

These issues seem to appear when I enter/exit into/from the Triss'hideout, and when I run on foot in the inner streets of the city.
It happens on both systems.

Restart the game when it happens and it should disappear

Bessy67

Anyone else having a hard time getting the master marksman achievement? I've been trying to get it for a couple hours now and still no luck. I hit them once with a sword then shoot them in the head with a crossbow. The screen shakes, which I'm pretty sure indicates a headshot, but I still haven't unlocked the achievement even after a lot more than 50 of those kills.

Edit: Nevermind, it finally just popped.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anyone else having a hard time getting the master marksman achievement? I've been trying to get it for a couple hours now and still no luck. I hit them once with a sword then shoot them in the head with a crossbow. The screen shakes, which I'm pretty sure indicates a headshot, but I still haven't unlocked the achievement even after a lot more than 50 of those kills.

It's easily the most tedious and poorly done trophy in the game. It's the kind that would make Ubisoft proud.

Alpende

I just kept grinding the bandits in the Devil's Pit. They don't cross the gate so you can take your time to line them up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just kept grinding the bandits in the Devil's Pit. They don't cross the gate so you can take your time to line them up.
Yeah, that's what I did and it still took hours.

How CDPR thought anyone would ever get that trophy naturally is beyond me,

Joco

You didn't miss anything. That is a missprint. You wont be able to complete that until AFTER the Isle of the Mists. Don't worry too much about missing important quests before Isle of the Mists, the game does a pretty good job of making it clear what you are expected before Isle of the Mists. Plus, even if you start Isle of the Mists and see that you failed something you can always reload your save.

Phew, that's a relief. Thanks for the reply. Now if this damned Skellige's Most Wanted Quest would let me finish it...

RedSwirl

I've been playing the GOG version without Galaxy so I have no good idea how long I've actually been playing but Christ this game feels like it doesn't end.

I feel like I'm maybe coming up on the halfway point of the main quest but I also feel like I might finally be running out of major side quests. I've been all over Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige. In the main quest I'm at the part where
I need to go get Uma from Crow's Perch. I've already checked all three major locations for Ciri and Yennifer is waiting back at either Vizima or Kaer Moren.
In terms of side quests the only things that seem to be left are
Gwent: Old Pals
, the Gwent tournament,
whatever quests follow up A Deadly Plot,
and a handful of level 30+ Witcher contracts. I've done the personal quests for Zoltan, Dandelion, Lambert, Triss,
Roche, Letho, and Keira, convincing the last two to go to Kaer Moren.
Though I still keep running into random shit all over the place.

Am I anywhere in this game yet?

phaze

I've been playing the GOG version without Galaxy so I have no good idea how long I've actually been playing but Christ this game feels like it doesn't end.

I feel like I'm maybe coming up on the halfway point of the main quest but I also feel like I might finally be running out of major side quests. I've been all over Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige. In the main quest I'm at the part where
I need to go get Uma from Crow's Perch. I've already checked all three major locations for Ciri and Yennifer is waiting back at either Vizima or Kaer Moren.
In terms of side quests the only things that seem to be left are
Gwent: Old Pals
, the Gwent tournament,
whatever quests follow up A Deadly Plot,
and a handful of level 30+ Witcher contracts. I've done the personal quests for Zoltan, Dandelion, Lambert, Triss,
Roche, Letho, and Keira, convincing the last two to go to Kaer Moren.
Though I still keep running into random shit all over the place.

Am I anywhere in this game yet?

You're past the half way point but still quite a bit of things do especially in the main plot story line. I haven't touched the game in quite a bit of time but with no dilly-dallying, you have probably something like ~20-25 hours left .

Skii

I'm finally finishing up Velen now. I'm sure I've sunk 10-15 hours there but I've enjoyed every minute. Nothing like the slog with DA:I's Hinterlands.

I also finished the Bloody Baron quest line and
the guy hung himself after all that happened! Wasn't expecting that but I gather it could've ended differently as there was a flashback about the choices I made. If that's the case, I really do like that. It makes the game seem more personal and the consequence is severe as I felt the Baron was finally about to get his shit together. I never felt like any of my choices in DA:I had any real consequences like this.

I also have to thank whoever it was that told me to hide the question marks. I'm sure it would've eventually ruined the game. Finding treasure is far more rewarding and I'm not wasting my time trying to complete an area for completion's sake.

I've done all the side missions I can but some of them are too hard for me to complete at the moment.

Is it me or does the monster deck seem way overpowered? Whenever I face one, they can get out like 8-10 cards from their deck onto the field. I have to stack my deck with all manner of weather cards to keep up.

I genuinely can't believe DA:I and The Witcher 3 got such similar scores by reviewers. They are worlds apart in absolutely every aspect of the game.

I also finished the Bloody Baron quest line and
the guy hung himself after all that happened! Wasn't expecting that but I gather it could've ended differently as there was a flashback about the choices I made. If that's the case, I really do like that. It makes the game seem more personal and the consequence is severe as I felt the Baron was finally about to get his shit together. I never felt like any of my choices in DA:I had any real consequences like this.

Until a friend at work told me this happened to him i had no idea it was even possible, my resolution was very different
We rescued the Barons wife and he and her left to get her help, as she had gone mental from the trauma of the kids dying.

You don't even notice the choices you make, making a difference that's the power of it.

Skii

Until a friend at work told me this happened to him i had no idea it was even possible, my resolution was very different
We rescued the Barons wife and he and her left to get her help, as she had gone mental from the trauma of the kids dying.

You don't even notice the choices you make, making a difference that's the power of it.

I don't even know what happened to the kids in my story. I just remember this thing that was trapped in a tree promised to help them so I released it and now it's roaming around as a horse but I don't know where lol. Maybe it did save them and I wasn't reading/listening when it happened.

Do all the outcomes of the quest culminate into one of the many endings or is there a certain period where you can influence the endings? I feel like I'm going to get the bad one now thanks to that Baron mission.

So last night, I
finished the battle of Kaer Morhen, killed the Crones and Imlerith and just went through Yen and the elf guy's horrible sidequests.
How far am I from the end? Kind of just want to finish up after 65 hours or so.

phaze

So last night, I
finished the battle of Kaer Morhen, killed the Crones and Imlerith and just went through Yen and the elf guy's horrible sidequests.
How far am I from the end? Kind of just want to finish up after 65 hours or so.

You're close IIRC, still few small bits and one longer dungeon quest to go through but after that you're up for the final battle. Think you could make it in just few hours.

You're close IIRC, still few small bits and one longer dungeon quest to go through but after that you're up for the final battle. Think you could make it in just few hours.

Cool, thanks. And I thought that once I got to the
Isle of Mists quest
I was almost there. Ha!

How far am I in the main quest?

I defended Ciri at kaer morhen and defeated the Wild Hunt's #2 guy (I forget his name)

edit: nevermind I saw the guy above me how is at roughly the same spot.

I really can't remember the last time I was this enamored with a game I've had so many problems with technically and find somewhat mediocre mechanically. Either I was just ready for a game like this, they've really nailed the worldbuilding to such an extent that I'm eager to see every inch of every map in spite of myself, or I've secretly been a pleb who values quantity over quality all along.

This won't be my GOTY (only partially because the combat takes 20 hours before it stops feeling like beating yourself in the head with a wet towel), but it'll sure be in my top 5, and despite the fact that it does indeed drag after a while, it's really rehabilitated my faith in open world structures not being inherently flawed.

Quite the coincidence, I'm right there as well. I'm just wrapping up neglected scavenger hunts and saving contracts for last. Good to know I'm close.

Have you reached Skellige yet? If not, you may be fall in deeper love with what's to come. Game went from like a 6 to a 10 for me.

It's also a long game. I feel like 20 hours can be argued to be "still in tutorial". I capped at 120 something hrs before i saw the ending.

Yeah I'm near the end now, and yeah first visit to Skellige was pretty great, like a whole new game had opened up. Reminded me a bit of that first ride from Oasis to Velious in Everquest 1. They did an excellent job making the areas feel very different. If only so many encounters in the game weren't packs of wolves or guys with swords.

ChanMan

I think you made the right choice TC. I am only 20 hours into MGS V and I love it and can already tell I am going to enjoy it but Witcher 3 was just an amazing experience for me like non other. I can't wait to jump back into New Game plus once the first expansion drops. :)

Skii

Forgot to finish Keira's quest and
it ended up with me killing her. Didn't like that conclusion to her story as it just escalated way more than it should've. Redid the mission and managed to convince her to go to Kaer Morhen.

I've apparently clocked 40 hours and I'm just getting out of Velen lol. Does the game record gametime even in the pause menu?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Forgot to finish Keira's quest and
it ended up with me killing her. Didn't like that conclusion to her story as it just escalated way more than it should've. Redid the mission and managed to convince her to go to Kaer Morhen.

I've apparently clocked 40 hours and I'm just getting out of Velen lol. Does the game record gametime even in the pause menu?
Be glad you redid it. That will do you good later in the game.

I assume the in-game counter is still broken. It was at launch and for months after, at least. It displays way more than it should for most, and for some it just randomly reset long into the game.

Hey I just tried skelliege's most wanted quest and it glitches out after I defeat the werewolf. He just walks off and starts roaring for no reason. Any help? Xbox One version btw.

RedSwirl

Without spoiling anything too big, what is at that big-ass tree? Y'know, the one you can see from basically anywhere in southern Velen? I tried to go up there once but just ran into a village full of level 26 foglets and a locked door. Do you go there later in the main quest or a side quest?

And where the fuck is balisse fruit? Nobody, I mean basically nobody, sells it, and I haven't found it growing anywhere since basically the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom