• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

phoenixyz

Alright guys I've just recently upgraded my PC and started playing the game - I'm only into the second location right now. Do you recommend I just try to find and craft gear - also is there an easy way to rack up money?

If you really feel that you are not getting enough money just install the Wealthy Vendors Mod. Unless you are a sucker for grinding of course ;)

You don't ever need to grind or use mods. You'll be poor for the first 15 levels or so, but later you'll be swimming in cash. Level 20 loot sell for large amounts of money. And being poor at first is part of the experience.

But more than anything it was the discovery that after the biggest open world I'd ever explored, the same game hid an even bigger one inside of it. That's mindblowing to me.

Gotcha! I was thinking more literally about the actual arrival and thought I'd missed something! I basically agree with you.

mitchman

Gold Member
Just curious if anyone has tried NG+ yet?

Supposedly it is indeed much much harder.
It is because the bombs doesn't scale to the level, and you don't get more attributes on your character. Every encounter has a potential of killing you now so you need to be more careful instead of just entering a fray of people and holding the swirl button in :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I haven't found NG+ particularily more difficult so far(then again, i play on normal difficulty), but the Ciri parts are ridiculously harder(just finished the Baron storyline). I think the first Ciri part with the wolves killed me like 6 times before I managed to beat it.The lack of healing potions or food doesn't help.

Griss

Finally beat it last night.

I have to say, form most of the game I thought the main story line was the weakest part of the storytelling for most of the game and the ending
didn't change that at all.
In the end
Ciri became a Witcher, Nilfgaard won the war (but freed Temeria for some utterly inexplicable reason), and Gerault and Yen retired from the active world.
Sadly, though, the whole thing (even the last climactic act) was so drawn out that by the end I was struggling to care. In a game full of fascinating characters, the game ends up really being about an dull and archetypical fantasy Mary Sue - Ciri - who spends 90% of it off-screen. That was disappointing. I didn't particularly enjoy
Gerault's interactions with Ciri leading up to the end. Felt like babysitting, and didn't ring true for me in the way his interactions with Yen, Zoltan, Dijkstra, Roche etc did. Didn't help that I found Ciri's voice acting to be really one-note and mediocre compared to the rest of the cast. I mean, compared to most games she was pretty good, but she stood out in a poor way in this one. Constantly breathless.

The final boss was a bit like all the other bosses and combat in general:
absolutely terrible.
It was funny to me that the game ended for me in the same way as it began
with a horribly drawn out fight (Eredin took me at least 15 minutes) where my weapon eventually reached 0% because of how long it was taking.
Not to mention that the game crashed twice during the battle.

None of that stuff matters hugely, though. It's the smaller missions, the characters and the world-building I'll remember of this game. When I beat MGSV I can't wait to come back and do more of them without that feeling of frustration that the main story isn't going anywhere. That said, it can't be stressed enough how terrible the pacing in this game was.

Not only that, I can finally focus on Gwent! That's Gerault's true calling, after all.

I'll remember this one for a long, long time.

Sai

o_o What level were you when you fought Eredin? 15 minutes, long enough to completely wear down your silver sword, is way too long.

Griss

There are missable Gwent cards though, so if you're going for the trophy you may have missed your opportunity.

I knew that from the start, which is why, though I really enjoy it, I saved Gwent for a second play through. I couldn't take any more delays to the main quest, it was ludicrously slow enough as it was.

o_o What level were you when you fought Eredin? 15 minutes, long enough to completely wear down your silver sword, is way too long.

I guess around 31/32? With level 26 gear, maybe? Almost every serious enemy or boss I fought in this game was like this. I could barely scratch them, they could barely scratch me. War of attrition to the very end. It doesn't help that Eredin blocks constantly, is reluctant to attack, and when he opens up you only get one hit in before he blocks again, and my one hit was often doing only 60 damage.

I was sure there must be some 'trick' to the fight
other than using Igni to remove his frost armor
but apparently not. Maybe it's because I was all-in as a magic-user, and signs barely affected him.

Also, it didn't wear down to 0, that was an exaggeration. Sorry. It wore down from 100% to
17%

Sai

That's still way too much. And I wouldn't say your level was too low either, so... Issue with your build, or equipment, or both.

Even when I went for a Sign build with the Griffin set, my weapon damage wasn't that bad. :/

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I know there are dozens of people who disliked it due to how the main quest drags on, but man, Novigrad made a huge impression for me.

I'd dare say both Skellige and Novigrad will be on the top of my favorite video games locations for many years to come.

Yeah I don't know why people disliked Novigrad but I thought it was brilliant. Not many games allow you to explore a fully realized medieval city populated with various gangs, theaters, slums, and under a Spanish-style inquisition. I was happy to spend as much time as I did in Novigrad.

I started playing MGSV a few days ago and now I'm wondering how I'm supposed to juggle these two games. I want to finish my Death March completionist run (I've already beaten the game), but by all accounts MGSV is a massive game in its own right. Decisions, decisions.

Finally beat it last night.

I have to say, form most of the game I thought the main story line was the weakest part of the storytelling for most of the game and the ending
didn't change that at all.
In the end
Ciri became a Witcher, Nilfgaard won the war (but freed Temeria for some utterly inexplicable reason), and Gerault and Yen retired from the active world.
Sadly, though, the whole thing (even the last climactic act) was so drawn out that by the end I was struggling to care. In a game full of fascinating characters, the game ends up really being about an dull and archetypical fantasy Mary Sue - Ciri - who spends 90% of it off-screen. That was disappointing. I didn't particularly enjoy
Gerault's interactions with Ciri leading up to the end. Felt like babysitting, and didn't ring true for me in the way his interactions with Yen, Zoltan, Dijkstra, Roche etc did. Didn't help that I found Ciri's voice acting to be really one-note and mediocre compared to the rest of the cast. I mean, compared to most games she was pretty good, but she stood out in a poor way in this one. Constantly breathless.

The final boss was a bit like all the other bosses and combat in general:
absolutely terrible.
It was funny to me that the game ended for me in the same way as it began
with a horribly drawn out fight (Eredin took me at least 15 minutes) where my weapon eventually reached 0% because of how long it was taking.
Not to mention that the game crashed twice during the battle.

None of that stuff matters hugely, though. It's the smaller missions, the characters and the world-building I'll remember of this game. When I beat MGSV I can't wait to come back and do more of them without that feeling of frustration that the main story isn't going anywhere. That said, it can't be stressed enough how terrible the pacing in this game was.

Not only that, I can finally focus on Gwent! That's Gerault's true calling, after all.

I'll remember this one for a long, long time.

Ciri's voice acting was fucking shit. Just didn't fit at all. No emotion, no nothing.

Griss

Yeah I don't know why people disliked Novigrad but I thought it was brilliant. Not many games allow you to explore a fully realized medieval city populated with various gangs, theaters, slums, and under a Spanish-style inquisition. I was happy to spend as much time as I did in Novigrad.

I started playing MGSV a few days ago and now I'm wondering how I'm supposed to juggle these two games. I want to finish my Death March completionist run (I've already beaten the game), but by all accounts MGSV is a massive game in its own right. Decisions, decisions.

Novigrad was amazing, the stretch of main story quests you do there was not. After all that time searching for Ciri you become a reluctant errand boy searching for Dandelion. Even Gerault, in character, was getting fed up.

Shame, because some of the characters like Zoltan and Dijkstra introduced at that time were amazing.

Also, I wouldn't juggle MGS and the Witcher. I delayed MGS for two days to finish up. It was that or drop it. You won't enjoy both at once, imo.

What did people make of Dandelion? I thought he was the worst character in the game bar none, and ludicrously miscast both in the present day and as the narrator. (The narrator was SO BAD.)

Ciri's voice acting was fucking shit. Just didn't fit at all. No emotion, no nothing.

Wouldn't go that far but I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it.

I know there are dozens of people who disliked it due to how the main quest drags on, but man, Novigrad made a huge impression for me.

I'd dare say both Skellige and Novigrad will be on the top of my favorite video games locations for many years to come.

This right here. Although honestly, I thought parts of Velen, especially the areas around Blackbough and the Abandoned Keep or whatever in the Southeast were pretty nice

I'm lucky I've never gotten into MGS so this is only competing with small games for my time atm.

I try to play this game without HUD/minimap

It completely changes the experience to just be so immersed.

My problem though is that I REALLY wish that I could pull the map up for brief seconds, as sometimes I lose orientation.

Instead I'm constantly bringing up the minimap, which isn't so bad since I like memorizing my routes.

But to this end, it's too bad Roach doesn't autopilot to quest markers. That horse almost was perfect with its auto-run feature.

Anyone know where to acquire the manuscripts for Enhanced Necrophage and Relic? I have the Superior versions but appear to have missed the Enhanced versions along the way. Checked a couple of wiki's and they didn't have an answer.

Griss

I try to play this game without HUD/minimap

It completely changes the experience to just be so immersed.

My problem though is that I REALLY wish that I could pull the map up for brief seconds, as sometimes I lose orientation.

Instead I'm constantly bringing up the minimap, which isn't so bad since I like memorizing my routes.

But to this end, it's too bad Roach doesn't autopilot to quest markers. That horse almost was perfect with its auto-run feature.

I would dearly love an option to put a compass where the minimap is. If you had a compass it would be competely feasible to play the game without the minimap, and Gerault would surely have a compass. As it is it's too much of a pain in the arse, which is a shame. I turned off all the '?' marks, though, so everything I found was a surprise, which was great. Didn't feel one bit like an 'ubi-world', felt completely natural.

Just finished the game; amazing narrative experience only slightly hindered by the bloat and weird pacing in the first act.

Having played both games I definitely feel Witcher 3 had stronger execution regarding narrative/questing/characters/world building than its oft-mentioned counterpart in Inquisition. However if I was to put forward a single complaint about Witcher 3, it would be how I felt that game's character building and RPG systems were very underwhelming.

I played the game on Death March from start to finish and never felt like my gear nor ability points really mattered at all outside of upgrading certain signs to unlock their alternate forms. I think Inquisition handled character development and its crafting system beautifully by comparison.

I'm a sucker for well-executed narratives though, and I think Witcher 3 did a phenomenal job telling a great story and developing interesting characters, and I think that this is one of the most critical components in fantasy style games that so many others fail at.

I do think that book lovers would have some qualms with how certain story things were handled (a simple example is that I don't think they gave Yen good enough of an introduction to players new to the IP) but props to CDPR for executing such an ambitious story very well.

Awesome, they're tweaking the romance options with Triss in the next patch whenever that is! I can finally play again :)

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/57170-Triss-tweak

They've been teasing this for a while, hopefully it's somewhat substantial since I've been holding off on furthering my NG+ playthrough until this is released. I refuse to romance Yennefer, no matter how many playthroughs I do.

Is this game worth $20? I usually play shooters, not sure if I want this, h1z1(battle royale), or rocket league.

For $20, I highly recommend it. Even if you only play shooters, you may end up really enjoying it. You have to broaden your gaming horizons. :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I booted up W3 yesterday after a few weeks away just to run around a bit and closed out without a second thought. I opened up GOG today to find that all the achievements I missed out on due to the no-achievements bug have shown up in my account. Looks like CDPR is awarding achievements retroactively! Amazing.

RedSwirl

Were Cerys and Hjalmar mentioned in the books? I can't remember.
The dialogue mentions Geralt and Ciri having known them when they were kids, but before they'd met each other, implying all this happened sometime prior to the events of the short story Sword of Destiny. Crach's only appearance I can remember is in A Question of Price.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Spearmen on Death March are some sort of punishment inflicted upon me by God for my misdeeds.

Don't try to block them. Just dodge around them when they attack then smack them a few times. Also don't hit them with light attacks ever, because they can parry you. If you're just 1v1 with them you can spam heavy attacks without giving them a chance to attack.

RedSwirl

Hjalmar is definitely mentioned in the books. Cerys was created by CDPR.

Here's a Reddit post with a relevant passage from Tower of the Swallow. Or Swallow's Tower. Or Tower of Swallows. Who the hell knows, I've seen it translated 15 ways...

Just checking. I didn't get to read Swallow Tower or Lady of the Lake before this came out. I just had to read quick synopses of the major events after I finished Baptism of Fire.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I read (somewhere) online that if you come across the Whispering Hillock and set it free before starting the Ladies of the Woods quest that the children are freed AND the Baron's wife is saved?

I started my third playthrough which once I arrived in Velen I immediately headed over to the Downwarren and then started the Whispering Hillock quest and set him free this time.

Afterwards, I went and met up with Keira, where I did that long quest and got her lamp and as such the quest for Ladies of the Woods has started, but I have not ventured into the bog yet.

I also have yet to visit the Baron and I am wondering if I want to do that before venturing into the bog.

summary:
Made it to Velen
Freed the spirit
Did Keira's quest
Ladies of the Woods and Bloody Baron are both ready to start.

Coreda

But you might want to spoiler tag those.

Indeed. It's easy to forget there are some just starting their playthrough.

Everyone should try the Polish language version at least once. It can't be said enough how much better the voices are.

Captured a scene of Geralt and Ciri in the Polish version for comparison (pre-Act 3 spoilers): http://a.pomf.cat/yujvyu.mp4

Hoplatee

I talked about Steam achievements before but I can now confirm that after the latest little patch they work again. Even with mods which you could consider a little bit of cheating. I don't know about console commands but I assume they still flag your savefile and prevent you from gaining achievements.

Question is however for how long :p

What is that 'Triss tweak'? More dialogue or something? I only got as far as Skellige so if it's something major then eh, well, I don't want to know obviously!

You just need to free the spirit before talking to the crones for the first time I think.

But you might want to spoiler tag those.

Yeah I try to not read too much. Some people even openly spoke about the end boss. It's obvious but still, you know.

Hoplatee

Yeah, Triss and Yen are both getting additional dialog.

Right, good to hear. I can imagine Triss being a bit 'huh? Who is she and why should I care?' if you never played W1/W2 before so that's a good thing. Atleast that would be my impression judging from up till around lvl 22. I can finally continue now achievements are working again :-D

Dr.Acula

Banned
HFy9rbu.png

lol

Double lol for that date.

heh..started a game and bam! 6 achievements popped up! Nice. After 105 hours I'm now up to the
Isle of Mists
quest and got that very appreciated "point of no return" message. I'm at level 25 and can use Superior Griffin goodies at level 26 so I'll do a few contracts and side stuff until I can level up.

Over 100 hours ...man..this is the most time I've spent on a game in years!

danthefan

I'm 22-ish hours in now and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Just completed the Bloody Baron quest line which was really excellent. I think it's time to make my way to Novigrad...

Anyone know where I can find Meteorite Ore btw? Need one more to complete the Griffon armour set.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, I have a question about how Questing works in this game.

I was on my way to Midcopse for the Hunting A Witch Quest when I stumbled upon a little village called Blackbough. Met a hunter named Niellen which started the Wild At Heart side-quest. After talking to some people in the village I now have to explore the nearby Woods. However, I found out that this is a Level 7 Quest, and as i'm only Level 3, I think it's a good idea to continue this investigation another time.

My question is if this is possible. Can I fail this quest, or others for that matter, if I go do other stuff? Or can I go explore and level up a bit before continuing this/a quest?

Death March sure is challenging and gaining experience is a slow process. It makes exploring really rewarding, though. Playing with the minimap off makes it even better.

And good grief this game is pretty.

Alpende

There are only some quests that fail if you continue a certain quest. Don't worry though, the game explicitly tells you once you reach that point.

You can freely explore, level up and return to quests.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
There are only some quests that fail if you continue a certain quest. Don't worry though, the game explicitly tells you once you reach that point.

You can freely explore, level up and return to quests.
Great. I'll go back exploring then.
And thanks. :)

HBP

Finally finished the story yesterday, had the game since day one, pretty sure I got the worst ending possible. Owell time for new game plus.

hydruxo

So, I have a question about how Questing works in this game.

I was on my way to Midcopse for the Hunting A Witch Quest when I stumbled upon a little village called Blackbough. Met a hunter named Niellen which started the Wild At Heart side-quest. After talking to some people in the village I now have to explore the nearby Woods. However, I found out that this is a Level 7 Quest, and as i'm only Level 3, I think it's a good idea to continue this investigation another time.

My question is if this is possible. Can I fail this quest, or others for that matter, if I go do other stuff? Or can I go explore and level up a bit before continuing this/a quest?

Death March sure is challenging and gaining experience is a slow process. It makes exploring really rewarding, though. Playing with the minimap off makes it even better.

And good grief this game is pretty.

Yeah I had the same thing happen with the Wild At Heart quest. Started it way too early, and went back to it later. That's something you'll be doing alot in this game if you like to explore. You'll constantly stumble upon quests and enemies that are higher levels and you'll have to come back to them once you've levelled up.

I can only think of one quest I've ever failed, and it was when I came across a person being attacked by bandits while doing a different mission. I kept riding past on my horse and it failed on me. Majority of the time you're okay to pause a quest for an undetermined amount of time.

Top Bottom