• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Coreda

So I thought "The Last Wish" was an abysmal questline coming from having just read the books and it almost personally offended me. I wonder if I should write a big spoiler tagged post here in the OT or make a new topic. It'd take a while since it's been quite some time since I played the game and would have to refresh my memory to properly put it to words.

Could be posted either here, the spoiler thread, or the Witcher community thread (which discusses both the books and games). The spoiler thread could be useful if you feel most of the post would be spoilered, but post it wherever you like.

A standalone topic would work too if you think there's enough general interest and spoilers are mentioned in the title.

Could be posted either here, the spoiler thread, or the Witcher community thread (which discusses both the books and games). The spoiler thread could be useful if you feel most of the post would be spoilered, but post it wherever you like.

A standalone topic would work too if you think there's enough general interest and spoilers are mentioned in the title.

Thanks as said I'll write it up separately and then decide where to post it once I'm contend with it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Has anyone run this game on something similar to an i3-2100 + 6850? What can I expect performance
-wise?

It actually massively devalued their past in my opinion.
I would agree with you if I hadn't already seen so many fans before this game devalue their relationship because of The Last Wish story anyways, so I liked that they give you the option to interpret it either way you want. There's a few other instances of debated subjects that they let you tailor to your beliefs. I thought it was a pretty great solution.

I would agree with you if I hadn't already seen so many fans before this game devalue their relationship because of The Last Wish story anyways, so I liked that they give you the option to interpret it either way you want. There's a few other instances of debated subjects that they let you tailor to your beliefs. I thought it was a pretty great solution.

but they don't,
they chose the exact meaning of the wish for their own canon and that's one of my main issues. The books left the wish ambiguous by design, the game handled it clear cut. We as the players could simply decide afterwards whether it was of effect or not.

What makes it so bad is that while Geralt and Yennefer might often have doubted the extent of their love for each other they never doubted whether it is true or not. Yet all of a sudden we were told they always were bothered by it and that all that happened in the books amounted to nothing if we do so wish. The option itself left a distaste in my mouth

And it's not like they had to include it, Geralt and Yennefer both had relationships with other people whenever they felt like and w/o being bothered by it. Geralt had no qualms sleeping with mortal enemies of Yennefer.

Gamers only would never have known it existed and book readers I'm fairly certain would have chosen Yennefer 9/10 cases anyway.

Bliddo

Man this game is good. Despite all its flaws and technical problems it has to be one of my top 10 games of all time. I've been playing it since release date and I got into the late game just this weekend.
The battle
at Kaer Morhen
was perfection, the aftermath was utterly brilliant.
It saddens me reaching its end, I'm definitely going to buy the DLC.

How far along am I?

My last quests were
travelling through worlds with the elven sage and freeing Philippa.
I'm approx lvl 30.

I'm beginning to worry that there's not much left and that I should finish more sidequests before the story ends.

Can you keep doing quests after the story? I'm especially wondering because of the Heart(h?) of Stone DLC.

Alpende

You can do quests after the story, don't worry about that. I suck at judging how far someone is in the game so I can't help you there.

You can do quests after the story, don't worry about that. I suck at judging how far someone is in the game so I can't help you there.

That's a relief. What is the recommended lvl for the final quests? Perhaps you should mark it as spoiler it in case someone is sensitive about it. It would give me a rough idea of how much is left.

Karl Hawk

Banned
How far along am I?

My last quests were
travelling through worlds with the elven sage and freeing Philippa.
I'm approx lvl 30.

I'm beginning to worry that there's not much left and that I should finish more sidequests before the story ends.

Can you keep doing quests after the story? I'm especially wondering because of the Heart(h?) of Stone DLC.

You are roughly a dozen of quests and so till the ending approaches.

You can do the expansion at anytime you wish, don't you fret. Just keep in mind the expansion itself is meant for players at level 30 or higher.

EDIT: In response to your last question, the last quests should be about
28-29 recommended levels

You are roughly a dozen of quests and so till the ending approaches.

You can do the expansion at anytime you wish, don't you fret. Just keep in mind the expansion itself is meant for players at level 30 or higher.

EDIT: In response to your last question, the last quests should be about
28-29 recommended levels

Thank you!
Sucks there's not much left, and that is a very low recommended lvl.
The levelling in this game is so skewed, with super slow low levels and crazy quick levelling later.

aku:jiki

And it's not like they had to include it, Geralt and Yennefer both had relationships with other people whenever they felt like and w/o being bothered by it. Geralt had no qualms sleeping with mortal enemies of Yennefer.
I haven't gotten to the main saga yet, but this is not true in either The Last Wish or Sword of Destiny.
There are repeated things in those books where Geralt either gets taunted for obsessing over Yen (Dandelion does it like every time he shows up), or can't go through with hooking up with someone because of said obsession (the character Little Eye exists exclusively to show Geralt's devotion to Yen). The story where Yen almost leaves Geralt for some random wizard also makes it clear that Yen is not as cool with it as she may want people to believe.

I haven't gotten to the main saga yet, but this is not true in either The Last Wish or Sword of Destiny.
There are repeated things in those books where Geralt either gets taunted for obsessing over Yen (Dandelion does it like every time he shows up), or can't go through with hooking up with someone because of said obsession (the character Little Eye exists exclusively to show Geralt's devotion to Yen). The story where Yen almost leaves Geralt for some random wizard also makes it clear that Yen is not as cool with it as she may want people to believe.

Cool with what? I never said that they aren't bothered by each other's dalliances just that either mostly had no qualms of starting relationships if they felt like it.

Little Eye's story
shows more how Geralt can't settle down than eternal devotion to Yennefer. Yes Yennefer is the bar feelings have to measure up to for Geralt and the bard didn't surpass it ending rather tragic but he led relationships despite that anyway.

A shard of ice is Geralt
unable to cope with settling down again and Yennefer unable of accepting his style of life as well. The wizard was the catalysator at best.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm basically waiting for 1.09 before continuing my Death March playthrough since they're planning to add a bunch of Triss romance dialogue that I don't want to miss. All the more time to play other games.

danthefan

I'm sure this has been discussed before but could/should they have slowed down the level progression a bit? I seem to have out levelled a good few quests including the main. I'm level 16 at the moment.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but could/should they have slowed down the level progression a bit? I seem to have out levelled a good few quests including the main. I'm level 16 at the moment.

Yes, this has been discussed A LOT, and yes, they should've. One of the bigger issues with the game is how unbalanced it is. Make sure to increase the difficulty level as you outlevel the game, if you're not playing on Death March already.

danthefan

Yes, this has been discussed A LOT, and yes, they should've. One of the bigger issues with the game is how unbalanced it is. Make sure to increase the difficulty level as you outlevel the game, if you're not playing on Death March already.

I'm on B&BB. Stomping on everything around my level. How much harder is Death March?

I'm on B&BB. Stomping on everything around my level. How much harder is Death March?

Not much too much harder, really. You can always change back later if you change your mind. I think I switched to Death March when I was half-way through Novigrad, as the game had just become a button-masher with my Cat gear. Before too long Death March will be too easy too.

danthefan

Not much too much harder, really. You can always change back later if you change your mind. I think I switched to Death March when I was half-way through Novigrad, as the game had just become a button-masher with my Cat gear. Before too long Death March will be too easy too.

Ok thanks, I have all the cat gear crafted, just need another level to use. I'll put up the difficulty when I go back to it this evening.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wish they would have included the option to scale the quests (at least the main ones) to your level. However, if you're overleveled you will stop getting XP and the game will eventually catch up to you.

danthefan

So, I didn't really mean this, but I killed
Menge.
It just kinda went that way. He seemed a significant enough character, do I miss out on much now? Should I go back to an old save?

Karl Hawk

Banned
So, I didn't really mean this, but I killed
Menge.
It just kinda went that way. He seemed a significant enough character, do I miss out on much now? Should I go back to an old save?

Don't worry,
Menge
isn't significant in the grand scheme of things. All in all, he was a religious fanatic and nothing more.

Dunno about you, but I feel more satisfied when I kill Witch Hunters/Eternal Fire scum. Fuck
Hubert
as well

danthefan

Don't worry,
Menge
isn't significant in the grand scheme of things. All in all, he was a religious fanatic and nothing more.

Dunno about you, but I feel more satisfied when I kill Witch Hunters/Eternal Fire scum. Fuck
Hubert
as well

Cheers, certainly didn't feel bad about it but just didn't want to cut off some swath of content because of it.

Hoplatee

Well well. Just finished act 2. That was.. uh... amazing!

That amazing scene when Geralt finds Ciri on The Isles was pretty damn emotional, the battle was way way way more awesome what I expected it would be and then the quest after it in which I assume are big choices for the ending. This was a great way to end that act. Just a shame the romancing stuff is so far before this point so reloading and checking out how stuff would be if I picked Triss would take forever. Feel really bad for Triss. My heart wanted but figured storywise it just had to be Yen.

Oh and laughed so hard at that Letho reply to R & Ves on why the fuck the Kingslayer was helping at the battle.

'I can not cry. Don't know how to'/Cirihugz :(

Here's hoping act 3 is just as good but feeling a bit sad that I really am reaching the end now :(

Zukuu

Banned
Some serious game design oversight. I've entered the high roller gwen tournament, quickly won against everyone only to be presented with an unwinnable fistfight, because I'm level 15 and he is skull. I could easily win, but the TERRIBLE and ATROCIOUS fistfight controls make it impossible in that small area. I want to CIRCLE dodge him... no chance. End up in a corner, glitched between chairs and whatnot immediately.

Biggest let down so far by far.

Fuck this. Going to install cheat console for this.

Lunar15

Some serious game design oversight. I've entered the high roller gwen tournament, quickly won against everyone only to be presented with an unwinnable fistfight, because I'm level 15 and he is skull. I could easily win, but the TERRIBLE and ATROCIOUS fistfight controls make it impossible in that small area. I want to CIRCLE dodge him... no chance. End up in a corner, glitched between chairs and whatnot immediately.

Biggest let down so far by far.

Fuck this. Going to install cheat console for this.

Fistfighting is nonsensically easy in this game. Once you get down the pace of the parry, you'll never lose, no matter their level.

Zukuu

Banned
Fistfighting is nonsensically easy in this game. Once you get down the pace of the parry, you'll never lose, no matter their level.
I've got parry down. Doesn't matter. Can't parry every strike since he mostly uses quick hits and it doesn't seem to work consistently because Geralt is a fucking slowpoke. I'm a 3 hit and even if I block, my stamina is down the drain with 3 hits. I need to hit him 50+ times or so... It's dumb.

edit: And the fucking console enabler mod doesn't even work... I'm seriously pissed at the moment.
edit2: Got it to work. Beat him, removed the mod again.

Coreda

If the enemy is a skull level it's far more difficult attempting to nibble their health down. Not sure how it is for skull level fistfights but it's always necessary to parry at the correct time as soon as the enemy health bar glows red and follow up with a counter, otherwise the parry is unsuccessful and Geralt will take damage/become stunned. Getting stuck between chairs wouldn't help.

I wouldn't call it an oversight though if you're level 15 and the recommended quest level is 26. I've had to put quests on hold before in order to level up.

Sai

I've got parry down. Doesn't matter. Can't parry every strike since he mostly uses quick hits and it doesn't seem to work consistently because Geralt is a fucking slowpoke. I'm a 3 hit and even if I block, my stamina is down the drain with 3 hits. I need to hit him 50+ times or so... It's dumb.
There's a distance you gotta maintain to get your opponents to consistently whip out haymakers. Jabs can be parried too, but it might take a while to get used to the timing of 'em.

Biggest issue I've had with the brawls in this game have been from invisible obstacles preventing me from making space when I'm not feeling sharp enough to swat away jabs. I think it's a glitch caused by the hit boxes of characters that were standing in those areas in the cutscenes that preceded those fights.

Zukuu

Banned
If the enemy is a skull level it's far more difficult attempting to nibble their health down. Not sure how it is for skull level fistfights but it's always necessary to parry at the correct time as soon as the enemy health bar glows red and follow up with a counter, otherwise the parry is unsuccessful and Geralt will take damage/become stunned. Getting stuck between chairs wouldn't help.

I wouldn't call it an oversight though if you're level 15 and the recommended quest level is 26. I've had to put quests on hold before in order to level up.
It's a GWENT tournament, why should I anticipate fighting? In particular seeing how GUARDS are everyhwere. It's dumb game design if you ask me... the reason for them not intervening says as much.

I find the whole quest weird anyway. "Wanna steal the coin?" No, fuck off, I'm just gonna win it. I win => "money is gone" => "wanna team up to look for it"? No fuck off, I'm just gonna get MY money back... but what happens.. nothing. No quest, no money, no nothing. Wtf? I'm fucking FORCED to team up with her for 50% the coin, even tho she does NOTHING. That's seriously dumb and greatly off putting.

So far the worst quest in the game easily.

There's a distance you gotta maintain to get your opponents to consistently whip out haymakers. Jabs can be parried too, but it might take a while to get used to the timing of 'em.

Biggest issue I've had with the brawls in this game have been from invisible obstacles preventing me from making space when I'm not feeling sharp enough to swat away jabs. I think it's a glitch caused by the hit boxes of characters that were standing in those areas in the cutscenes that preceded those fights.
That's what I mean. The "dodge" is really weird and puts you in a corner and buggs you in place between invisible and not so invisible objects. The space is way too small where the fight happens.

Coreda

It has its occassional issues for sure. I experienced a glitch when fighting Valgard (not a spoiler) where there was between a 3-6 foot barrier preventing Geralt from getting near him :p A re-match fixed it.

2paeSnx.gif

Zukuu

Banned
It has its occassional issues for sure. I experienced a glitch when fighting Valgard (not a spoiler) where there was between a 3-6 foot barrier preventing Geralt from getting near him :p A re-match fixed it.

2paeSnx.gif
That invisible wall just now prevents me to leave the warehouse where the quest took place... on BOTH exists...

Seems I'm stuck, unless I install the console mod again and port myself away... >_>

This quest... better stop for the day, before it drags down my fun with the game too much.

WeskerXXI

So I'm about to go to the Isle of Mists, should I clear my questlog before going in? I'm level 26 and all my remaining quests and contracts are levels 29-30; all the Brothers in Arms missions are done.

Coreda

Should I clear my questlog before going in? I'm level 26 and all my remaining quests and contracts are levels 29-30; all the Brothers in Arms missions are done.

If you've completed the main character quests/sidequests so far the rest will still be available to complete later. You can always make a save if you're unsure.

As for leveling you'll level fairly quickly during those quests IIRC so if you want to maximize your XP it may be worth completing remaining quests that are still green as the initial Act 2 quests hold Geralt up for a while.

WeskerXXI

If you've completed the main character quests/sidequests so far the rest will still be available to complete following that quest. You can always make a save if you're unsure.
Great, thank you. I read somewhere to finish sidequests too to not become overleveled for them during the main mission, but Isle of Mists it's level 22 and I am almost overleveled for it already, so I wasn't sure.

Hoplatee

E) Oh way too late. Didn't notice there was a new page.

So I'm about to go to the Isle of Mists, should I clear my questlog before going in? I'm level 26 and all my remaining quests and contracts are levels 29-30; all the Brothers in Arms missions are done.

Contracts no. Secondary quests only if they relate to main chars but I assume you done those since you completed the Brothers. You could just go there and see if something fails. :)

Enjoy the next two or so hours. It is amazing.

edit: And the fucking console enabler mod doesn't even work... I'm seriously pissed at the moment.
edit2: Got it to work. Beat him, removed the mod again.

Just a heads up and this might be changed again - using console commands used to stop you from getting achievement even if you delete it. (Since 1.08.x)

I guess you found out after you won if you got the achievement or not :p I do think it's fixed but I can not say for sure.

Scipio

Wow. This game is absolutely amazing. I played (and dropped) Dragon Age Inquisition before it and didn't have that much hype going into it. But man, how many fantastic story missions and side quests are there? Still not done with the game, I just killed
Imlerith and two of the crones

The game is so very ambitious and not everything works out, but sometimes, it does and then it gets absolutely breathtaking.
Like the scene when Geralt finally reunites with Ciri! Those facial expressions man....

I finally completed the main quest. Admitiantly I skiped a lot of the side stuff to get through the main quest.

Now should I start a new character for the side stuff + expansions or continue my existing Geralt? Keep in mind I don't have a ton of time for gaming.

Radec

I finally completed the main quest. Admitiantly I skiped a lot of the side stuff to get through the main quest.

Now should I start a new character for the side stuff + expansions or continue my existing Geralt? Keep in mind I don't have a ton of time for gaming.

New Game +

Alpende

If you don't have a ton of time I'd just stay on your current playtrough and do the side quests.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I realize a lot of people will disagree, but damn would it be awesome if in the next patch they created two additional mutagen slots.

Screw this "it'll make the game too easy" I just want to be an absolute badass and dominate all enemies using my superpowers.

Finally finished the game the other day. Steam says I clocked in at 158 hours which is probably only a little inflated.

But holy shit, what a game! I think its easily up there with Baldur's Gate 2 for me in terms of all time favorite games. The world and the story and the characters and character interactions were just fantastic.

Especially all the little character moments Geralt can have with Ciri once you reunite are just fantastic. The facial animations, body language and voice acting between Geralt, Ciri and Yen were wonderful. Especially a lot of the facial animation deserve a ton of credit. I recall thinking The Witcher 2's animations were often really stiff and subpar but the animations they pull off in TW3 really add so much to the characters- all the little smirks and glares and grimaces add so much to the characters.

One of my favorite little moments towards the end is when you're talking to
Avallach about the sunstone and you can ask him about the full version of the backstory behind it, which Geralt asks in this sarcastic way, which Avallach doesn't notice, prompting Geralt and Ciri to share this knowing glance at each other and Ciri to interrupt. That was just such a fun little moment that really imbued some character into their relationship.

All those little fun character moments -
the snowball fight, wrecking Avallach's lab (Yen drawing the goatee on that painting :) Geralt and the Witchers drunken escapades, Geralt and Yen eavesdropping on Ciri meeting with the sorceresses
- really fleshed out the characters and made the game feel like an old school BioWare game in the same mold of Baldur's Gate 2.

.Anema

Hey guys! i'll buy this game today, finally! (PS4)
The game still suffers from performance troubles in PS4? Are the 30 fps stable now?

Top Bottom