• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Alpende

I might buy this game in a few days or weeks. I heard without being spoiled that there are good and bad endings. What are the conditions to get these endings? Can someone please tell me in a vague way without spoilers?

It's hard to do but supporting a certain character helps.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Finally beat the game. I wasn't very invested in the main story (haven't read the novels, and the world and sidequests were generally more interesting to me), but damn if that ending wasn't a bit emotional. I have that empty post-game feeling inside me right now, it sucks. Especially since this was one of the best games I've ever played.

Now that you finished the game, you should do yourself a favor and read the books whenever you can.

JoeNut

Man i have just got the bear armour, and got level 3 quen (stage 2, the bubble thing) and now i know how to use the quen i am just invincible, the bear armour + all my perks mean i have a ton of adrenaline points, and can replenish my HP whenever i need to by letting the foe hit me.

Skii

Haven't made much progress over the last few days. Been pretty busy. Did manage to get an hour in last night though. I
went into Menge's establishment to find out details about dandelion. I let Triss get tortured (which she wanted me to allow in my defence) but she was pretty pissed and killed Menge herself.

Also managed to finish the Gwent: big city players quest after defeating a Scoia'tael member which netted me Cirilla's card which seems OP.

Time to do the Junior quest.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Impossible.

Just make good decisions.

It's hard to do but supporting a certain character helps.

If you really care abou getting a good ending just look up what dialog choices to pick, as some of the biggest impacts come from some seemingly minor conversations rather than clear major decision points. And none of them are huge spoilers to look up.

I got the bad ending from messing up a few I'll list below. But I didn't really care since there aren't trophies for each ending or anything and I just watched the other two endings on YouTube.

I told Siri to relax and she didn't have to be good at everything during the battle. I thought that was being supportive/reassuring.

I told her to calm down when she was raging, which seemed wise as she nearly killed everyone the last time she blew up.

I accompanied her to meet the mages, not because I thought she couldn't handle it but because I just wanted to be there and see what happened.

I think there are two other things that matter, but those were harder to mess up.

Yu Narukami

If you really care abou getting a good ending just look up what dialog choices to pick, as some of the biggest impacts come from some seemingly minor conversations rather than clear major decision points. And none of them are huge spoilers to look up.

I got the bad ending from messing up a few I'll list below. But I didn't really care since there aren't trophies for each ending or anything and I just watched the other two endings on YouTube.

I told Siri to relax and she didn't have to be good at everything during the battle. I thought that was being supportive/reassuring.

I told her to calm down when she was raging, which seemed wise as she nearly killed everyone the last time she blew up.

I accompanied her to meet the mages, not because I thought she couldn't handle it but because I just wanted to be there and see what happened.

I think there are two other things that matter, but those were harder to mess up.

I started looking up the choices I need to make in order to avoid the bad ending and got spoiled about the outcome in the bad ending. :-(

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I started looking up the choices I need to make in order to avoid the bad ending and got spoiled about the outcome in the bad ending. :-(

You're sad you spoiled the ending you were trying to avoid and thus wouldn't have seen anyway?

Why not just play through the game and see what happens rather than spoiling it for yourself, it's a game with a great story and you make choices on what you think and not what others think?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why not just play through the game and see what happens rather than spoiling it for yourself, it's a game with a great story and you make choices on what you think and not what others think?

That's my usual advice for these types of games. But in this case it's kind of lame as seemingly minor conversation options affect the ending in the case of what happens to
Ciri.

But I still agree I guess since there isn't extra content tied to certain paths, trophies attached to specific endings or much chance of the endings affecting a future game.

Just play and watch the other endings on YouTube afterward.

That's my usual advice for these types of games. But in this case it's kind of lame as seemingly minor conversation options affect the ending in the case of what happens to
Ciri.

But I still agree I guess since there isn't extra content tied to certain paths, trophies attached to specific endings or much chance of the endings affecting a future game.

Just play and watch the other endings on YouTube afterward.

Yeah you may be right there I just like to go into games blind for the most part I guess especially one like this as it's so vast, still each to their own I guess.

Majestad

Banned
Is the soldier statue quest glitched? I'm almost at the end of the game
I showed Triss the figurine and she opened a portal that took us to an abandoned house. There's nothing else to do and the quest still shows as incomplete

RedSwirl

I need a reminder here:

So I'm trying to get the sunstone and I'm trying to find this cave I found a while back on Skellige. I thought I remembered where it was (just north of Rogne) but apparently not. The only thing I remember is it's an elven ruin filled with level 30 ghosts that look like Wild Hunt dudes.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Steam sale for this. Will my rig be able to run this well?

GTX 760
8GB RAM
i5-4670 3.40 GHz
Windows 10

Exact same specs running on Windows 7 and I've had it locked down to 30 from the beginning. It's managed to remain stable on a mix of high and maximum with a couple things on medium. Lock it using Rivatuner and you should get even frame pacing most of the time.

I need a reminder here:

So I'm trying to get the sunstone and I'm trying to find this cave I found a while back on Skellige. I thought I remembered where it was (just north of Rogne) but apparently not. The only thing I remember is it's an elven ruin filled with level 30 ghosts that look like Wild Hunt dudes.
You're right that it's near Rogne, but you don't need to find that cave again. It'll be the exit after finding the Sunstone, not the entrance. Entrance is along the north coast. Gotta boat there.

RedSwirl

You're right that it's near Rogne, but you don't need to find that cave again. It'll be the exit after finding the Sunstone, not the entrance. Entrance is along the north coast. Gotta boat there.

Is that what it was? I remember walking in their from Rogne and encountering the ghosts, but I left since I couldn't beat them. When I went again recently all I found was just one passage, some chests, and an inaccessible ledge.

Zukuu

Banned
Not a fan of level requirements. I just stumpled upon a recipe for a level 12 Sword, which does like only 60 damage or so more than my new silver sword (still level 1) and I can craft it, but not equip it. I don't see myself caring for it in 11 levels and seriously doubt that I don't find a more powerful sword till then... does it make sense to use a "no level requirement mod" or would it break the game too easily somehow? I wouldn't mind to equip a bit over my intended level, since leveling is so slow and I don't think I would actually use most gear this otherwise. Playing on Death March and installed "no xp bonus on gear" mod.

Thoughts?

zer0das

Banned
Not a fan of level requirements. I just stumpled upon a recipe for a level 12 Sword, which does like only 60 damage or so more than my new silver sword (still level 1) and I can craft it, but not equip it. I don't see myself caring for it in 11 levels and seriously doubt that I don't find a more powerful sword till then... does it make sense to use a "no level requirement mod" or would it break the game too easily somehow? I wouldn't mind to equip a bit over my intended level, since leveling is so slow and I don't think I would actually use most gear this otherwise. Playing on Death March and installed "no xp bonus on gear" mod.

Thoughts?

It'd probably break the game. But if you pick and choose when to use it, it probably wouldn't be too bad. Yeah, they kinda screwed up on equipment scaling I think. You can easily find a level 37/38 sword in the first 10 hours of the game, and you essentially never get to use it until the game is over.

Exentryk

Thoughts?

The equipment system in this game is terrible. Rather than using a "no level requirement mod" however, I recommend just making the Witcher gear and using them exclusively. Sell everything else. (You can use a different sword if one takes your fancy).

Alpende

Yeah, you got a point. You can interpret those choices in multiple ways.

JoeNut

The equipment system in this game is terrible. Rather than using a "no level requirement mod" however, I recommend just making the Witcher gear and using them exclusively. Sell everything else. (You can use a different sword if one takes your fancy).

The problem with the wither gear, which is what i've done, is that it totally stops you from enjoying finding loot, i never find loot which is better than what i have, so you might as well just find coins instead of gear.

Wreav

Banned
So I'm at "Final Preparations", and curious that since new game + has been added, will I be able to wrap up my side quests once I finish the main story line? If not, I'll probably just do another playthrough focusing only on side quests.

So I'm at "Final Preparations", and curious that since new game + has been added, will I be able to wrap up my side quests once I finish the main story line? If not, I'll probably just do another playthrough focusing only on side quests.

You still have a little ways to go, but yeah, after you're done you can continue playing.

EDIT: Beaten.

Acrylic7

Cant use blade oil in battle is kind dumb. Who has foresight like that?

Its only good for when you see a monster in the room before you get anywhere near it. But thats not always the case.

Nitpicking here. This game is so fucking good.

Sai

There are very few instances in which you're forced into battle with a monster before knowing what it is. One that comes to mind is the
serial murderer

Generally, you're made aware of what kind of monsters are in the area, like the swamp being full of Necrophages. The investigation part of Witcher contracts tell you in advance what you're fighting. And you can usually see the monsters you come across on the road long before they notice you.

misho8723

Banned
New screen from the Hearts of Stone expansion pack:
k85b.jpg

This seems like it would be a pretty common question, but what happens in this game if you (Witcher 2 spoilers I guess? since some people might have skipped to 3)
let Roche kill Henselt?
All that happens is "Kaedwin fell, too bad" either way? That really seemed like one of the biggest choices in 2.

This seems like it would be a pretty common question, but what happens in this game if you (Witcher 2 spoilers I guess? since some people might have skipped to 3)
let Roche kill Henselt?
All that happens is "Kaedwin fell, too bad" either way? That really seemed like one of the biggest choices in 2.

Yeah, it has no impact whatsoever from what I know, aside from like one line.

Most choices in Witcher 2 really don't have much of an impact on Witcher 3. One character in particular at least has some presence, but otherwise there's nothing much.

let Roche kill Henselt?

Doesn't have much influence.
Henselt dies on the front line against Redania if he isn't killed by Roche.

Sai

I used to regret not being able to continue the trilogy from my Witcher 1 save before hearing just how little our prior decisions mattered in the first two games.

Thought Mass Effect did a disappointing job of this whole save import thing, but it looks pretty to great compared to the Witcher trilogy.

Thought Mass Effect did a disappointing job of this whole save import thing, but it looks pretty to great compared to the Witcher trilogy.
Well the difference was that was a core feature of Mass Effect, while in Witcher it was just a minor bonus that wasn't even planned from the beginning. But yeah, knowing that it was always frustrating trying to convince people they don't have to beat themselves up about not having a save file from the beginning.

RedSwirl

I finally switched over to keyboard for a minute. Regular movement and combat aren't really any better or worse than with a controller, but navigating menus is a lot better with a mouse. Trying it makes me think CDProjekt from the beginning tried to compromise between controller and KBM instead of going one way or the other like most RPGs do.

To take full advantage of mouse controls in regular movement and combat CDPR probably would have had to make the game feel a lot like Witcher 1, which would be to the detriment of the controller experience (unless it provided an optional mode that's just like the current control scheme). Regarding the menu screens though, when I started this game I thought CDPR had simply created a pretty good controller UI (that could use a few minor improvements), but now I see what it really made is something that works pretty well on a controller and better on a mouse and keyboard. Actually selecting items and scrolling through everything is a lot better on a mouse, and the quick keys make accessing the different menus quicker. I just which I could quickly click on icons for each menu screen from any other menu screen. CDPR had that in Witcher 1 has hasn't gotten it back since.

I'm starting to think the Steam Controller will be a godsend for this game.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I just completed the Ladies of the Wood mainquest and now I feel horrible. :(
Making decisions is hard, man. Seeing their consequences is even worse.
I must have spent 15 minutes thinking about whether I should kill the spirit in the tree or not. Eventually, I did. I didn't trust the witches and despised their actions, but I decided not to be judgemental of the villagers culture and try to stay out of it. Big mistake.
Didn't trust the spirit and I still don't, but fuck. I never expected those children would actually get hurt, Gran looked so nice. And poor Johnny. :(

Unrelated; Please tell me there are more sidequests like A Towerfull Of Mice. Great stuff.

Hoplatee

Unrelated; Please tell me there are more sidequests like A Towerfull Of Mice. Great stuff.

I am nowhere near the end of the game but there are quite a few secondary quest that are all kinds of awesome like that. Though that one probably is my favorite so far. The voice acting on the ghost is awesome.

Coreda

The problem with the wither gear, which is what i've done, is that it totally stops you from enjoying finding loot, i never find loot which is better than what i have, so you might as well just find coins instead of gear.

For most of the game the Witcher stuff generally has the highest stats, yea, although that assumes you chase all the upgrades as soon as you reach the right levels.

There are a few diagrams with better specs than any of the mastercrafted Witcher swords (I'm using one now), and once you hit around level 35 swords in general can be bought from merchants/blacksmiths with much higher levels of damage than the stock versions/diagrams of the same swords. Though really, by a certain point you become so OP that the stats don't matter anyway so I just pick swords that look nice :)

I just finished the game and it only took 115 hours...jeez. lol I think I got a bad ending.

Basically,
Ciri went through the portal and towards the White Frost.

Ehmyr rules but Temeria is free.

I helped some Werewolf, killed the last Crone and the last part is Geralt in the Crone's home and you see a ton of monsters heading towards it.

Thats all that it showed. Said nothing of
Yen, Triss..etc.
I had almost everyone live (
Sided with Roche in the end and killed Dijkstra
) and did all the secondary stuff. I did fail the State of Reason quest at the end but I'm not sure why (
because I killed Dijkstra?
). Kinda underwhelmed by the ending I got as I was hoping to see what came about of various secondary characters. Depressing in the end really. Wonderful game all around and I'm looking forward to the expansions.

Ramma2

Can I wear different levels of the same set of gear to get the matching set trophy? Like I've got the full cat set (is there a crossbow?) but have an upgraded cat sword. Wondering if the trophy will pop if I equip that stuff.

Edit: Also I did that quest where you have to equip the blunt sword to help
D
out, forgot about it and spent like the next 3 hours fighting with the stupid thing.

Carnal Sins Spoilers:

I barged in on Reverend Nathaniel torturing Nettie and killed him without asking about the formaldehyde, thanks to my impatience. I didn't bother to read Nathaniel's character entry (which reveals that another victim is found after Nathaniel's death) until much later. It doesn't look like Geralt can reopen the investigation after that.

Balls.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Carnal Sins Spoilers:

I barged in on Reverend Nathaniel torturing Nettie and killed him without asking about the formaldehyde, thanks to my impatience. I didn't bother to read Nathaniel's character entry (which reveals that another victim is found after Nathaniel's death) until much later. It doesn't look like Geralt can reopen the investigation after that.

Balls.

You could always load an earlier checkpoint save of that side-quest, If you have one.

In regards to the side-quest, I've always found it weird that some players think Nathaniel is the culprit behind the murders. I thought it was obvious from the first autopsy that the murderer has surgical experience

You could always load an earlier checkpoint save of that side-quest, If you have one.

In regards to the side-quest, I've always found it weird that some players think Nathaniel is the culprit behind the murders. I thought it was obvious from the first autopsy that the murderer has surgical experience

I have a manual save before Carnal Sins, but I've played roughly six hours since completing it. I'll just wait until I play through the game again.

At first I thought it was odd that Hubert looked younger than Joachim, but then figured Hubert's explanation about his youthful appearance was reasonable. Heh.

Majestad

Banned
Finished the game. Masterpiece.

Can somebody tell me what ending I got?

Ciri lives and gets a blade from Geralt. After he teaches her everything and then part ways. Geralt lives with Yen happily ever after. Nilfgaard won the war.

I liked the ending, so I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Lunar15

Finished the game. Masterpiece.

Can somebody tell me what ending I got?

Ciri lives and gets a blade from Geralt. After he teaches her everything and then part ways. Geralt lives with Yen happily ever after. Nilfgaard won the war.

I liked the ending, so I'm pretty happy with what I got.

I'd suggest watching the other endings. A lot of people say that the ending you got is the "best" ending, but I also liked the ending I got as well.

TripOpt55

I thought I was almost done and then I got a new pile of quests. And then I just got another few... haha. I guess not! Still really enjoying it, just excited (and a little nervous) to see how it ends.

Skii

About that Whoreson Jr quest:

I killed him but never had a chance to properly look around his residence. Accidently went out of the entrance and was forced to go to a ship and now can't find my way back to Whoreson Jr's mansion. Was there anything valuable in there or am I okay to continue on? Don't want to miss a unique weapon/armor set

Majestad

Banned
Do you guys really think this is the end of the Geralt story (sans the dlc) or is CDPR bluffing? He is such a badass, iconic character I really hope he gets another game.

Top Bottom