• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Alpende

Seriously. I have 5 left. One is get to level 35, but I'm all out of quests, so that will have to wait for DLC and one is the Axii control kills one, which requires me buying the potion and respecing - which I really can't be bothered to do. I guess I will go grind some headshots, but the hitboxes are fucked up and it is getting frustrating.. its just not an achievement you would unlock naturally, and the number required is bafflingly high

If you haven't already, grind them in the Devil's Pit. Those bandits can't cross the entrance gate so you can line up your shots. Once you've killed them all just fast travel to Vizima and back, they'll respawn.

illusionary

Nice to see further patches/performance improvements in the works with v1.09; I'm just hoping that it comes in time for me to make good use of them! I guess if nothing else, as I have Hearts of Stone on order it'll hopefully be in time for that.

Finalow

I'm really enjoying playing Gwent now that I have a decent deck.

honestly I hope that in order to get all the cards I don't need to visit every inn in the game, loading times on PS4 are atrocious.

meanwhile horse races and fistfights are so fucking boring.

No. Still got a long way to go.
how much? Considering that I have to finish a lot of quests before going there because they become missable, I thought it was near the end.

iirc I read somewhere that it's 75% or so.

how much? Considering that I have to finish a lot of quests before going there because they become missable, I thought it was near the end.

Only character-related side-quests become missable. That's because things are coming up and there will be new quests or things happening to those characters depending on your actions. You've got a few hours left in Act 2 and then there's Act 3 after that. 75% sounds reasonable though since Act 1 is by far the longest if you do all the side-quests. That 25% is still quite a lot of hours though.

I know this must have been discussed a million times but:

CRAFTING SUCKS SO BAD IN THIS GAME.

I have never encountered a more worthless system. I have all the necessary components for basically every schematic I ever come across but because they are all so extremely level capped by the time I can actually craft them they aren't any better than weapons I have gained from side quests. I just can't fathom the thought process behind it.

Acrylic7

In the Alchemy skilltree every single upgrade ends with "potion duration time +5%"
does that extend the effects of potions like Swallow and Towny Owl, or does it do something different?

Hoplatee

Seems about right for the main story. It's a bit hard to say exactly but assuming you did plenty of sidequests / contracts etc it could either be 50ish % in 'total' or also around the 70/75% mark. Either way - still plenty of hours ( :p )and the point where you at is amazing. Best 2 to 3 hours of the game imo!

I know this must have been discussed a million times but:

CRAFTING SUCKS SO BAD IN THIS GAME.

I have never encountered a more worthless system. I have all the necessary components for basically every schematic I ever come across but because they are all so extremely level capped by the time I can actually craft them they aren't any better than weapons I have gained from side quests. I just can't fathom the thought process behind it.

Yup. It's horrible. I just bypassed this by using mods. I was so OP already that I figured that bit extra from wearing gear early wouldn't matter anymore because the armor sets just look awesome.

Heck, I am so used to many small mods that I probably could not play without them anymore. Simple things like all tabs collapsed, autoloot, LOD increases, names on oils/bombs/potions on inv screen etc etc.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
How did it take you so long? I thought I was being a bit slow and I got there around the 35 hours mark. Did most all of the sidequests and contracts below and around level 14, I'm now progressing through the story a bit. Did you go question-marks-hunting? :D

I'm trying not to rush too much, but at the same time I'd really like to finish the game before the DLC comes out. I'll do my best.
I've turned the minimap and POI's off, which I find to be a great improvement, so no. I haven't gone hunting for content. :p
I've completed almost everything I stumbled upon during my travels, but there are still a lot of places in lower Velen I haven't visited yet. I let the main-quest guide me through the world.

I like taking things slow, though. If I look at HowLongToBeat I can very often double the playing time for my own experience. But this is a new record. The game being so darn pretty helps as well. I can't help but stare at those beautiful skyboxes everytime the sun goes down. :)

And Gwent's addicting.

I've turned the minimap and POI's off, which I find to be a great improvement, so no. I haven't gone hunting for content. :p
I've completed almost everything I stumbled upon during my travels, but there are still a lot of places in lower Velen I haven't visited yet. I let the main-quest guide me through the world.

I like taking things slow, though. If I look at HowLongToBeat I can very often double the playing time for my own experience. But this is a new record. The game being so darn pretty helps as well. I can't help but stare at those beautiful skyboxes everytime the sun goes down. :)

And Gwent's addicting.
It really is. I'm pretty sure some days I'm actually spending more time playing Gwent than anything else in the game.
I'm quite the opposite though, I do like to complete stuff but I'm also quite quick (mostly?) but I do not rush. Which is weird. I think I have explored most of Velen, due to the various quests leading you places, but I'm missing many many PoIs still.

Uthred

Clearly very LTTP here, was given this as a gift, I played the Witcher 2 (Roche's side) on release, cant remember a thing. Is it worth banging through The Witcher 2 Enhanced before jumping into TW3?

Clearly very LTTP here, was given this as a gift, I played the Witcher 2 (Roche's side) on release, cant remember a thing. Is it worth banging through The Witcher 2 Enhanced before jumping into TW3?
I'd say do it, as it is such a good game as well. I played The Witcher and The Witcher 2 earlier this summer and enjoyed them a lot.
Clearly you could just play the third , without missing all that much I'd say (haven't finished it yet, but I don't imagine it changing much). Obviously you'll be missing some references to events that happened in the other games (and some things regarding the books) and you won't recognize characters (but the in-game glossary is really well done).

Hoplatee

If you got the time I would do it. Pick the other part this time. Else watch the retrospective. I think they are in the OP. It might make you remember the stuff again.

You can just mod the game to make it painless and fast if you so desire.

You'll miss quite a bit imo if you just skip. Also applies to Roche path. Pick the other.

https://soundcloud.com/marcinprzybylowicz/hearts-of-stone

Main theme for Hearts of Stone just got released

That started a bit meh and then it got awesome. Great stuff.

Finalow

any idea of what fistfight / horse race quests are missable if you go to the
Isle of Mists
before completing them? I know that race: crows perch is missable but I won't to make sure that it's the only one.
and is there any witcher contract that is also missable for the same reason?

Alpende

Isle of Mists
before completing them? I know that race: crows perch is missable but I won't to make sure that it's the only one.

I don't think Witcher contracts are missable. But the game tells you to make an extra save file so you can check which quests fail, reload your save and do them before doing IoM

Hoplatee

Isle of Mists

Races not sure. I would just clear them out. The races in Skellige are pretty simple. Pretty sure you can do fist fights at any time and I suspect races as well. Only Gwent seems to be the one you can mess up.

Contracts you can do at any time you want. The only thing missable related to contracts are two amazing sidequests after the Phantom of Eldberg in Skellige. You need to do those before
Kings Gambit which you 'need' to do before Isle of Mists/Brothers in Arms Skellige

aravuus

The latest (Steam) version is 1.08, right? Gonna give the game another try and I was wondering if the XP multiplier mod on Nexus works with the game.

e: if someone, for some reason, happens to be wondering about this: yeah, the multiplier works.

The alternative movement feels so much better than the original. Not perfect, but better.

e2: except that it randomly stopped working now

fuck sake

Lanrutcon

Someone spoil this for me: I apparently missed a 'crystal skull' in the beginning. What does that mean? I don't give a shit about spoilers, right now I'm pissed that I might have to restart and it's killing my will to play this game.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Someone spoil this for me: I apparently missed a 'crystal skull' in the beginning. What does that mean? I don't give a shit about spoilers, right now I'm pissed that I might have to restart and it's killing my will to play this game.

It only opens up a small dialog detail thats meant for Yennefer, not that important and certainly not worth restaring the game..

Here's the video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XOqQJ-8OA8&index=74&list=PLrYsj_Il7VSukkIC-U8S4luA04pWpBjpg

Xeteh

I wish vendors having limited gold wasn't a thing. I get why it is there but right now I've been hitting points of interest and I have a ton of swords I'd like to sell because my bags are full. It is such a huge pain in the ass. I could download the mod that gives them more gold but that'd feel like cheating, even though gold seems to be a total non-factor.

I'm also curious what level people got to towards the end of NG+. I'm a couple missions away from being done with the story and I've done all the side quests/witcher contracts. I'm 80% through 62, I'm finding crap with L70 requirements and the Mastercrafted Ursine armor requires 64.

Hoplatee

Sweet. Hairworks on everything but Geralt is fixed again for Maxwell cards. Hw beard is so sexy but dear god... that hair...

The latest (Steam) version is 1.08, right? Gonna give the game another try and I was wondering if the XP multiplier mod on Nexus works with the game.

e: if someone, for some reason, happens to be wondering about this: yeah, the multiplier works.

The alternative movement feels so much better than the original. Not perfect, but better.

e2: except that it randomly stopped working now

fuck sake

Not sure why you use it (make it easy for ng+ I guess?) so if that's your reasoning then there are also mods that keep giving exp even if you pass the 6+ level limit which you will at some point and esp. with multipliers. You'd probably will be level 50 at the end of the game using that. Nogreyquest would be one for example.

And well, if those two mods work togwther you are at the lvl cap so fast.

Absolutely nothing. Don't worry. It's maybe 3 lines and adds absolutely nothing. More like 'oh hey cool, you paid attention' kind of thing.

If you watch the intro cinematic again you can see it. It's that raven skull that lands. Geralt has his dream there right after the prologue/tutorial. You can find it after fighting the first mobs in the game. You might even still be able to pick it up in White Orchard but I am not sure.

It is a bit hard to spot though.

I wish vendors having limited gold wasn't a thing. I get why it is there but right now I've been hitting points of interest and I have a ton of swords I'd like to sell because my bags are full. It is such a huge pain in the ass. I could download the mod that gives them more gold but that'd feel like cheating, even though gold seems to be a total non-factor.

Just use the weight limit increase mod. Feels less like cheating and makes it far more enjoyable. You could then sell them later without having to worry about limit.

Just thinking out loud so probably a bad suggestion :p

Xeteh

Man, the points of interest in Skellige are far more painful than Velen/Novigrad. This is going to take a while. It is fun finding quests I've never seen though, none of them are particularly in depth but I wouldn't find them otherwise.

Just use the weight limit increase mod. Feels less like cheating and makes it far more enjoyable. You could then sell them later without having to worry about limit.

Just thinking out loud so probably a bad suggestion :p

At that point I might as well just put them in my stash. I'll probably just end up selling them for cheaper prices to different vendors to get rid of them, even though it feels like I'm wasting gold. I'm at 40k which is plenty but crafting runes and the armor sets costs a bit. I've probably got more than enough.

Hoplatee

Man, the points of interest in Skellige are far more painful than Velen/Novigrad. This is going to take a while. It is fun finding quests I've never seen though, none of them are particularly in depth but I wouldn't find them otherwise.

At that point I might as well just put them in my stash. I'll probably just end up selling them for cheaper prices to different vendors to get rid of them, even though it feels like I'm wasting gold. I'm at 40k which is plenty but crafting runes and the armor sets costs a bit. I've probably got more than enough.

I didn't even bother with ?'s in Skellige that were in the water. So many >.>

aravuus

Not sure why you use it (make it easy for ng+ I guess?) so if that's your reasoning then there are also mods that keep giving exp even if you pass the 6+ level limit which you will at some point and esp. with multipliers. You'd probably will be level 50 at the end of the game using that. Nogreyquest would be one for example.

And well, if those two mods work togwther you are at the lvl cap so fast.

For fun! I dropped the game after 30 hours the first time around cause I got so sick of the combat, and now I just want to KIND OF blaze through the fights, but not quite use a one-hit kill cheat or anything super OP like that. So a double/triple/whatever experience mod is fun for that.

I didn't know there was a level limit for the quests, so that's probably why I'm getting singe digit EXP from them. Looks like the multiplier works for enemies just fine.

Also lol, I've done almost the same amount of story quests in 5 hours on this new playthrough, that I had done in the 30 hours of the first playthrough. I absolutely HAD to do and find everything the first time around, which definitely contributed to me getting sick of it.

Lanrutcon

Ok, so I've given the game about 6 hours so far and I'm torn. I was told to expect awesome, and so far it's been ok but not mindblowing.

- World is open, but devoid of life. Where are the random events? where are the peasants going about their daily lives and encountering stuff? The world also seems to be static in terms of monster placements. I find myself just moving from white mark to white mark. Exploration feels pointless.

- Combat is still blech. Third game in the series, and while there have been improvements in combat it still feels like that of a budget game. Almost every other part of the game feels a shitload more refined than the fighting. I'm already just avoiding random fights because there's no point and it feels about as satisfying as one of those clicker games.

- Crafting seems...um...badly planned. I was excited to see the crafting interface at the beginning, but now that I know the gear levels are so completely out of touch with the game's pacing I don't even bother anymore. I've got miles of recipes for levels way above mine, and nothing in my range. Maybe one day the game will realise I'm level 5. I like crafting in games.

- There's a lot of unnecessary clicking/holding down keys in this game which brings nothing to the table. Just immediately pop herbs into my inventory when I press the button. There's no need for a popup. Make my horse auto-run, because the base speed is useless. Make Witcher vision permanent and remove that god-awful fov effect. Stop making me manually retarget in combat, auto target based on proximity and targets on screen after I've killed an enemy.

- The minimap is too zoomed in, and the main map doesn't pop up instantly when I press m. Navigating the world is annoying because of these two issues. Give me the ability to zoom/scroll the minimap, or fix the loading time on the main map. Oh, and allow me place permanent custom notes that I can name.

- It took one game of Gwent for me to never, ever touch that part of the game again. Holy shit. Triple Triad it ain't.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Ok, so I've given the game about 6 hours so far and I'm torn. I was told to expect awesome, and so far it's been ok but not mindblowing.

- World is open, but devoid of life. Where are the random events? where are the peasants going about their daily lives and encountering stuff? The world also seems to be static in terms of monster placements. I find myself just moving from white mark to white mark. Exploration feels pointless.

- Combat is still blech. Third game in the series, and while there have been improvements in combat it still feels like that of a budget game. Almost every other part of the game feels a shitload more refined than the fighting. I'm already just avoiding random fights because there's no point and it feels about as satisfying as one of those clicker games.

- Crafting seems...um...badly planned. I was excited to see the crafting interface at the beginning, but now that I know the gear levels are so completely out of touch with the game's pacing I don't even bother anymore. I've got miles of recipes for levels way above mine, and nothing in my range. Maybe one day the game will realise I'm level 5. I like crafting in games.

- There's a lot of unnecessary clicking/holding down keys in this game which brings nothing to the table. Just immediately pop herbs into my inventory when I press the button. There's no need for a popup. Make my horse auto-run, because the base speed is useless. Make Witcher vision permanent and remove that god-awful fov effect. Stop making me manually retarget in combat, auto target based on proximity and targets on screen after I've killed an enemy.

- The minimap is too zoomed in, and the main map doesn't pop up instantly when I press m. Navigating the world is annoying because of these two issues. Give me the ability to zoom/scroll the minimap, or fix the loading time on the main map. Oh, and allow me place permanent custom notes that I can name.

- It took one game of Gwent for me to never, ever touch that part of the game again. Holy shit. Triple Triad it ain't.

Honestly if those are the problems you have with the game then maybe it's not for you.

Just got my Feline armor with Enhanced Griffin Swords. Playing a hybrid signs/combat build and it's working great so far. Use Quen as a safeguard and alt Quen to recover health, use Axii to stun enemies or use alt Axii when fighting a group to make them fight each other (alt Axii is kind of OP but I'll take it :p). Use Cat School Techniques so each piece of my light armor increases critical hit damage by 25% and fast attack damage by 5% and only use fast attack. Maxin out Muscle Memory and Precise Blows. Don't know if I'm going for Whirl. Don't know if the Griffin Swords with the increased Sign Intensity are worth it since I mostly use Quen and Axii. But oh well.

Playing on Death March and once past level 10 it gets pretty easy. If I don't pay attention and let Quen fall off and get caught I can still die really quickly though.

Trying to go for my first Platinum trophy. I'm really scared of missing a Gwent card in some way though.

Hoplatee

If you are on pc I bolded the stuff you can fix with mods but like someone else said it looks like the game just isn't for you.

As for Gwent. Yeah it sucks at the start because your deck is pretty bad. :(

aravuus

Honestly if those are the problems you have with the game then maybe it's not for you.

I highly disagree

Aside from the lifeless world and dull combat, his complaints are minor at best, and a bunch of people who still think TW3 is GOTY material seem to more or less agree with the complaints about the world and combat, me included. I think it's a fantastic game, and even though the world is a bit boring and the combat is dull, the intriguing quests, entertaining dialogue and awesome characters MORE than make up for its shortcomings.

I generally dislike most WRPG combat systems, but I still think the genre is very much "for me".

Alpende

I'm going trough it now on Death March. I had a difficult time in the beginning but now it's very doable. Sometimes I still die because I get cocky. A couple of hits can end you easily, even from lower level bandits. I'm gonna upgrade to the Bear Armor though.

Haven't defeated any bosses yet so I can't say if they are harder. I did not find them hard on B&BB though.

Lanrutcon

Seems that way. More I'm playing, worse it's getting. In the running for most uneven open world RPG I've ever played. I'm reminded of the old Gothic games.

Edit: to be fair, the aspects of the game I've not complained about remain excellent. The Baron's quest has been particularly well done so far.

Philtastic

With all of the talk about how awful the combat is, I decided that I might start a video series on tips for fighting specific enemies. It seems that a lot of people get stuck in the habit of just Quen'ing up and then swinging and dodging which leads to frustration because enemies can often parry or dodge your attacks and then gang up and interrupt you. I've discovered that it can take a while to make these videos because a) I need to find a spot with a decent number of the enemy which can take a long time, especially since I've already cleared a lot of the game, b) rendering takes awhile if I have to string together multiple videos, and c) uploading videos takes awhile with affordable Canadian internet, so I might not continue the series and, instead, just play the game and maybe beat the story at some point. I wanted to record a couple, however, to remind people of some of the tools that they have and what you need to think about whenever you come across a different enemy in the game.

The basic thing you need to do is think about what the enemy's strengths are and then how you can overcome them. For example, humans parry a lot and cluster around you which, if you just tried to use sword swings, it would take awhile to burn through their stamina (or waiting around to parry their swing) and/or you'd just end up interrupted from getting hit. Their strengths are their parrying and crowding so bypass those and use them against them: throw direct damage bombs like Grapeshot or Dancing Star which will hit a lot of them since they cluster and then knock over or drop their guard with Aard (or Igni if you're using Dancing Star since Aard will put out their fire) since, again, they cluster. Make it so that you can constantly interrupt/knock them over with Aard by using a Tawny Owl potion. By the time you do 2-3 swings, Aard will be back up for you to crowd control or get instant kills from knocked over opponents. Don't just butt your head against their parry wall: use your tools to get around it.

Another example: wolves. Wolves are really annoying because they attack so fast from every direction as a group and without much of a tell to signal you to dodge/parry... so make sure that they never get to attack you as a group. Use Tawny Owl so that you can light a bunch of them on fire with Igni which locks down a number of them and let's you get a lot of free attacks where they just can't respond. Don't just dodge around and hope that Quen will let you get a hit in without getting interrupted: lock them down and prevent them from attacking.

As you will see from my videos, I don't play perfectly (in my defence, I'm a bit distracted trying to remember what I should say) but, by taking advantage of my various tools, I don't have to to completely dominate opponents. Here are the videos I've done so far:

Wolves
Humans
Ghouls
Drowners

I'm definitely going to do wraiths next (when I can find a spot with a bunch of them) because they can be pretty annoying. If there's any particular creature you want me to do, let me know possibly with a screenshot of your map so that I can find them. I've completed a lot of the points of interest so it may not be as easy for me to find a particular enemy.

Xeteh

Anyone tried new game plus? Is it worth it? Challenge wise?

I'm at the end of it on Death March. I haven't had much issue with anything but that is more Alchemy being overpowered than anything else. It has been fun but I've been doing everything and I quickly outleveled a ton of quests. Still enjoying it though.

Danlord

Sorry to bump the OT but I'm having an issue with Witcher 3 on PS4.

Before Firmware 3.00, my friend who lives in the same city as I do used to frequently SHAREplay the game with me.

Now, after 3.00 another friend is trying to SHAREplay the game with me and it says the game is blocked due to not being released in my region. Both friends live in the same city as I do, but for some reason it no longer works.

I haven't tried with my other friend who it worked with before, this is the first time with the second friend.

Any suggestions, is there any fixes or is it a bug?

Edit: I don't own the game (on PS4), but I watch my friends whom do.

aravuus

Man, I've been trying to go through the game fairly fast, just doing the quests that interest me and shit, but I'm still not done with Novigrad at something like 25 gameplay hours. Is Skellige comparable to Velen and Novigrad in length? As in, only doing the quests and contracts in the area, how much time am I looking at spending there? 15 hours?

The main quest in Skellige is significantly shorter. But there is a ton of quality side content so Skellige is certainly comparable to Velen and Novigrad.

Lanrutcon

I may have been too hard on this game. I've discovered two activities which make the game super fun.

1) Running from new types of monsters. It's often a mad dash through a forest as I watch the red dots on my minimap chase me. Scenic!

2) The boat. Sailing around, not doing much, taking in the view. It's an amazing diversion from activity #1.

Philtastic

I may have been too hard on this game. I've discovered two activities which make the game super fun.

1) Running from new types of monsters. It's often a mad dash through a forest as I watch the red dots on my minimap chase me. Scenic!

2) The boat. Sailing around, not doing much, taking in the view. It's an amazing diversion from activity #1.

Have you played much Gwent yet?

Hoplatee

It's not for me. I'm usually into the side activities (to a point), but Gwent seems slow and boring. I'm buying cards as I see them, so eventually I might give it another shot.

Even though you dislike it I do want to advice to atleast do the quests related to them. Some things are missable and if you somehow end up enjoying it later you might have screwed yourself.

It shouldn't be too difficult if you indeed keep buying cards (Go with Northern Realms) but it might still be a slight struggle sometimes if you never play vendors etc.

aravuus

Jesus, okay, Skellige is big and it looks like there's a lot to do. I figured I'd finish the game in a couple of days, but now it looks like it's gonna take a bit longer.

Well, still a bit over week to go till Wasteland 2 DC so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Adorable creatures as they come. Dimwitted but funny as hell. :p

I always spare them whenever I get the chance.

Yeah, just love em

Top Bottom