• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

aravuus

Fyi, you visit the locations more than once. You're still in act 1 of 3. You're not done in Velen, Novigrad or Kaer Morhen yet.

Yeah, just noticed, probably gonna take me another week to finish the game, depending on how much school work I'll have

Was starting to get sick of running around Novigrad doing all the side quests, nice to be out in the virtual nature again. Skellige looks pretty great.

danthefan

Have just spent about a 6 hour session of playing this, one of the few games at the moment I can just play endlessly. Spent most of the time in Skellige which is a great area and a nice foil to Novigrad which I'd probably spent the previous 10 hours in.

And I didn't even touch the main quest.

Does the game tell you when you move from act to act? Does anyone actually explore all those question marks? Because there are an overwhelming number of them.

Have just spent about a 6 hour session of playing this, one of the few games at the moment I can just play endlessly. Spent most of the time in Skellige which is a great area and a nice foil to Novigrad which I'd probably spent the previous 10 hours in.

Does the game tell you when you move from act to act? Does anyone actually explore all those question marks? Because there are an overwhelming number of them.

Game doesn't tell you, no.

And if I were you I would just disable the question marks. It's nice to run into one of them once in a while but actively chasing them sounds like a bad way to spend your time.

danthefan

Game doesn't tell you, no.

And if I were you I would just disable the question marks. It's nice to run into one of them once in a while but actively chasing them sounds like a bad way to spend your time.

I haven't really been chasing them but yeah I think I'll turn them off. There's too many.

Xeteh

I just finished hitting all the ?s yesterday on NG+, this is the 3rd time I've played through the game but the first time I bothered with that. There isn't a ton to be gained from it, just random items you'll have trouble finding a vendor to sell it to.

Toth

Okay I have a slight criticism about the ending.

So when I was finishing up Tress' storyline, I really did grow to like her, as I had enjoyed her character in Witcher II. So I had Geralt fall in love with her. I had intended for this to be canon but then Yennifer, who I barely knew from the other games, actually surprised me with a great arc, powerful personality, and I fell under her spell too. I ended up having Geralt swooning her as well. Here is where my problem with the narrative lies: the game does not give you any way to recant your earlier romance and go with the one you truly want. Yes, I was wrong to end up romancing both of them but as it happens in real life, the one I thought Geralt would want turned out not to as enchanting and more suitable for him. I really disliked how the game does not allow you to confess to your other lover the truth and explain himself and why he is making the choice. Instead, all you get a funny scene that locks you into an ending of being alone. For all he has done for them, I just can't believe that neither Triss or Yennifer would eventually take him back if he showed contrition.

Philtastic

It's not for me. I'm usually into the side activities (to a point), but Gwent seems slow and boring. I'm buying cards as I see them, so eventually I might give it another shot.

If you're finding it slow, it might help to skip the round and turn notifications with the button you use to select things. Speeds it up quite a bit.

Hoplatee

I chased them all down in all regions apart from the ones in Skellige oceans. It's not really worth the trouble. Felt like 40% was bandit/monster camp, 40% hidden treasure / mini annoying quest attached to it (though the letters / quests are always amusing to read) and the remaining were vendors/camps/nests/PoP and places you'd visit anyway for gear upgrade diagrams.

It's a nice way to see the world they crafted but nothing more really. I wouldn't chase them down unless you really want to do it. If it's money you are after killing cows is still superior I think.

And nah, the game doesn't really tell you but it will be pretty obvious where acts end/begin. It's a bit odd since the previous games did tell you.

Okay I have a slight criticism about the ending.

So when I was finishing up Tress' storyline, I really did grow to like her, as I had enjoyed her character in Witcher II. So I had Geralt fall in love with her. I had intended for this to be canon but then Yennifer, who I barely knew from the other games, actually surprised me with a great arc, powerful personality, and I fell under her spell too. I ended up having Geralt swooning her as well. Here is where my problem with the narrative lies: the game does not give you any way to recant your earlier romance and go with the one you truly want. Yes, I was wrong to end up romancing both of them but as it happens in real life, the one I thought Geralt would want turned out not to as enchanting and more suitable for him. I really disliked how the game does not allow you to confess to your other lover the truth and explain himself and why he is making the choice. Instead, all you get a funny scene that locks you into an ending of being alone. For all he has done for them, I just can't believe that neither Triss or Yennifer would eventually take him back if he showed contrition.

For what it's worth - they are changing some romance stuff in the next patch. What, how much is not really clear at this moment. It will mostly be dialogue afaik though.

Waiting for that before I start my DM Triss run :3 Just not sure if I should do it on NG+ or normal.

Xeteh

So despite getting all the points of interest in NG+ I still haven't found 3 Superior Oil recipes. That is kind of annoying with them being random.

I've come across a glitch for the Superior Wolven Silver Sword diagram, it's not in the hut where it's supposed to be.

Witcher_3_Superior_Wolven_Silver_Sword_2-1024x576.jpg

I guess I'll have find the silver sword diagrams for one of the other schools.

Coreda

So despite getting all the points of interest in NG+ I still haven't found 3 Superior Oil recipes. That is kind of annoying with them being random.

Which ones? I was under the impression most of the named items are in specific locations, as I've found superior oil diagrams around Skellige and in various other chests chanced upon while exploring. I'm not sure if they're all located on points of interest, either.

I decided that I might start a video series on tips for fighting specific enemies.

Liking the little series. I think with the combat it's pretty much one can add some variety to spice it up but very few encounters require it past a certain level so it's easy to fall into the same patterns or just be too OP which of course can make it feel less engaging.

Xeteh

Which ones? I was under the impression most of the named items are in specific locations, as I've found superior oil diagrams around Skellige and in various other chests chanced upon while exploring. I'm not sure if they're all located on points of interest, either.

Insect, Cursed, Draconid

As far as I know they're randomly found in chests and not at set locations which is why I mentioned the points of interest because I opened a shitload of chests for that.

Coreda

Insect, Cursed, Draconid

As far as I know they're randomly found in chests and not at set locations which is why I mentioned the points of interest because I opened a shitload of chests for that.

According to the full list of console commands there are Superior versions of all the oils although I haven't been lucky enough to found those ones either. If the locations are randomized the diagrams could indeed be anywhere...

Question: I'm in Velen, should I be jumping between regions, or sticking it out here until I've got the map completed?

I completed most of Velen before heading off to Skellige but I think mixing it up would have been better. By the time I reached Skellige it was a refreshing change of scenery and vibe, but I had to ignore a lot of the POIs as it's a little overwhelming initially.

Alpende

I've come across a glitch for the Superior Wolven Silver Sword diagram, it's not in the hut where it's supposed to be.

I guess I'll have find the silver sword diagrams for one of the other schools.

In my original playtrough I couldn't open the chest in Kaer Mohren containing the set of Wolf School gear. Hope it's not glitched in my NG+ playtrough.

TheRed

So I finally sat down and finished this game, that last mission was amazing. Was able to get through the last fight on first try but it took 20 minutes on Death March. 75 hours for first playthrough that I definitely didn't do everything in. Now I started new game + on death march again and it's the perfect time to try and get the mastercrafted armors since I got none of those the first time through.

Also for the second playthrough I'm trying to make the game as pretty as can be because I'm in no rush to finish again. I played through the game at 1440p 60 fps with some settings at ultra and some settings turned down. Now I lowered it to 1080p with everything on ultra and hairworks on locked at 30fps. It seems to keep a pretty steady 30 which is nice.

I want to know what the best mods are for this game. Any good ones for graphics, or immersive HUD? I really want to turn the HUD off but then there's like no way to find where I need to go. I would love to have it fade away most of the time and have it so i can bring it up whenever I want. Also would like to try sweetfx and/or Reshade to get a different look from my fist time through but have never really messed with those before.

-Did anyone make a mod that stops those talk to person prompts above NPC heads and their name before you're even close to being in range to talk to them? I would love that for my immersion :D

Lanrutcon

Mods I'm using:

- Fast travel from anywhere (saves so much tedium)
- Auto-loot (should have been in the game by default, goddammit)

Mods I'm considering:

- Rebalanced trophies and mutagens (because there's just so much duplication, not sure what the fuck the devs were thinking)

aravuus

Fast travel from anywhere is definitely one of the mods I'm gonna have for every future playthrough

Having to travel the world was fun for the first 10 hours, then it got incredibly old.

So, I'm about to start (after I finish all dem side quests) the Ugly Baby quest. How far along am I? Currently at ~60 hours, hope to be able to finish the game in time for the DLC.

Also, the "Novigrad, closed city" quest is bugged. I have done all the parts, but I failed at following someone's scent apparently. So it's just sitting there in the quests. Any workaround for that? Even some kind of Cheat Engine or save editing thingy would be fine.

Hoplatee

Also, the "Novigrad, closed city" quest is bugged. I have done all the parts, but I failed at following someone's scent apparently. So it's just sitting there in the quests. Any workaround for that? Even some kind of Cheat Engine or save editing thingy would be fine.

I actually have a save with that quest. I'll load it later and post shots where you have to be. Unless you actually really failed it - then it has no use.

So, I'm about to start (after I finish all dem side quests) the Ugly Baby quest. How far along am I? Currently at ~60 hours, hope to be able to finish the game in time for the DLC.

Around 60/65% I guess depending on how much sidequests /contracts you have left obviously.

Question: I'm in Velen, should I be jumping between regions, or sticking it out here until I've got the map completed?

It's worth it to check it out. See what the game has to offer you. It is a great region. Quests there start at around level 16/17 with a few below that level.

Is the game more to your liking now the more you play?

Also for the second playthrough I'm trying to make the game as pretty as can be because I'm in no rush to finish again. I played through the game at 1440p 60 fps with some settings at ultra and some settings turned down. Now I lowered it to 1080p with everything on ultra and hairworks on locked at 30fps. It seems to keep a pretty steady 30 which is nice.

I want to know what the best mods are for this game. Any good ones for graphics, or immersive HUD? I really want to turn the HUD off but then there's like no way to find where I need to go. I would love to have it fade away most of the time and have it so i can bring it up whenever I want. Also would like to try sweetfx and/or Reshade to get a different look from my fist time through but have never really messed with those before.

Hairworks on everything but Geralt is a great visual mod. It disables the HW on Geralts hair because it looks like shit but the beard remains hairworked because that does look great. Everything else in the world (horses, monsters, some clothing, godlings, etc etc... everything really) remains HW'd. The HW on his hair drains FPS.

Other visual mods -

modHairLodSecondaryNpc
modHairLodMainNpc
modHairLodCommon
modGeraltHairLod

Other essential mods imo! -

modAutoLoot
modNoWitcherSense
modOver9000ngplus
modQuestsExpanded
modTabsCollapsed
modToxicityCleanBoth
modUnlimitedDurability

Stuff like Fast Travel from anywhere are great for second playthroughs. Even could use stuff like places of power giving you 5 talent points etc if you want to mess around a bit more. E) just don't port out after
killing/sparing Junior. Need to walk out the front gate else you break and bug the game, badly.

I actually have a save with that quest. I'll load it later and post shots where you have to be. Unless you actually really failed it - then it has no use.
I did the part of
the bandits and the three keys; I have also met (I believe during Triss' escape?) the bandits, but then came across the injured Witch Hunter, whom I let go. So now I have all the things marked except for "Follow the missing man's trail" which is failed.
The quest is just hanging there in the active quests, but I can't do anything. Still better than having it marked under failed quests, I guess.
Around 60/65% I guess depending on how much sidequests /contracts you have left obviously.
That's good to hear. I'm missing most of the contracts and side quests from level 20 upwards, as I'm trying not to over-level too much (currently at level 23). So I have still quite a bit to play!

aravuus

Stuff like Fast Travel from anywhere are great for second playthroughs. Even could use stuff like places of power giving you 5 talent points etc if you want to mess around a bit more. E) just don't port out after
killing/sparing Junior. Need to walk out the front gate else you break and bug the game, badly.

As a rule of thumb, I don't teleport out of any buildings, dungeons or whatever right after a quest because of this. There's usually a cut scene waiting for you at the entrance.

Lanrutcon

It's worth it to check it out. See what the game has to offer you. It is a great region. Quests there start at around level 16/17 with a few below that level.

Is the game more to your liking now the more you play?

There are moments I could really, really get into this game. Sometimes after a contract kilI or exploring a long forgotten corner of the earth I feel like a badass Witcher. If the game could capture that feeling and run with it I'd put it on a shelf next to the greats without hesitation.

But then my sword breaks for the 40th time. Or I reach my inventory limit miles away from a blacksmith. Or I pick up yet another crafting recipe that's terrible or laughably out of my level range. Or Geralt gets stuck on some scenery or falls off something cause he controls like a pregnant moose. Or I buy yet more skills that I can't fucking equip.

Meh. I'll mod and finish it.

Hoplatee

There are moments I could really, really get into this game. Sometimes after a contract kilI or exploring a long forgotten corner of the earth I feel like a badass Witcher. If the game could capture that feeling and run with it I'd put it on a shelf next to the greats without hesitation.

But then my sword breaks for the 40th time. Or I reach my inventory limit miles away from a blacksmith. Or I pick up yet another crafting recipe that's terrible or laughably out of my level range. Or Geralt gets stuck on some scenery or falls off something cause he controls like a pregnant moose. Or I buy yet more skills that I can't fucking equip.

Meh. I'll mod and finish it.

Yup, definately mod it to take those frustrations away. Use these -

Weight - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3/?

No more repairs etc - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342/?

Slight cheating but whatever, it annoyed me as well so I used it :p - remove level restrictions - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/264/?

aravuus

I'm using many of these mods too and they've certainly made the experience much more enjoyable to me. I just don't think managing inventory weight or repairing equipment is fun. Ever.

e: also the level restriction removal mod, that shit belongs in Diablo and other games like it

Karl Hawk

Banned
Yup, definately mod it to take those frustrations away. Use these -

Weight - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3/?

No more repairs etc - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342/?

Slight cheating but whatever - remove level restrictions - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/264/?

Wasn't there another mod that removes weapon/armor level restrictions?

That one, I believe: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/350/?

Honestly, I'm fine with that mod as I don't like level restrictions on crafted items. I'm fine with not being able to get the Witcher gear diagrams (Due to powerful monsters guarding or whatever) at very low level and taking a lot of time looking for them, but I feel the level restrictions puts a hindrance in my search for Witcher gear.

Maybe you're not approaching it the way you should? (That question sounds kinda mean, but I don't mean it that way) I have never had a sword break, nor have I reached the inventory limit. I think you should avoid picking up generic swords and bad pieces of equip around for example. Every now and then fix the swords and equipment when you come across a smith, or use some of the kits (can't recall the name now) you can get randomly around if you're far away from one.
But sure, mods to fix those things would definitely make the experience better, so just go for it.

I totally agree regarding loot/crafting though. Especially crafting, the recipes I get are so random it's not even funny.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Maybe you're not approaching it the way you should? (That question sounds kinda mean, but I don't mean it that way) I have never had a sword break, nor have I reached the inventory limit. I think you should avoid picking up generic swords and bad pieces of equip around for example. Every now and then fix the swords and equipment when you come across a smith, or use some of the kits (can't recall the name now) you can get randomly around if you're far away from one.
But sure, mods to fix those things would definitely make the experience better, so just go for it.

I totally agree regarding loot/crafting though. Especially crafting, the recipes I get are so random it's not even funny.

I always felt they should've only made the Witcher sets as craftable items since most of the other sword/armor recipes are useless compared to Witcher gear.

TheRed

Hairworks on everything but Geralt is a great visual mod. It disables the HW on Geralts hair because it looks like shit but the beard remains hairworked because that does look great. Everything else in the world (horses, monsters, some clothing, godlings, etc etc... everything really) remains HW'd. The HW on his hair drains FPS.

Other visual mods -

modHairLodSecondaryNpc
modHairLodMainNpc
modHairLodCommon
modGeraltHairLod

Other essential mods imo! -

modAutoLoot
modNoWitcherSense
modOver9000ngplus
modQuestsExpanded
modTabsCollapsed
modToxicityCleanBoth
modUnlimitedDurability

Thanks taking a look now. Also Friendly HUD seems to be exactly the mod I was looking for so I can have a more sightseeing focused playthrough while still having the info I need.

Ramma2

I wish the game had wrapped up at
Kaer Morhen
. The game just kept getting buggier and less satisfying the closer I got to the actual end.

Ended up with 5 or 6 bugged side quests I can't finish, and the big main quests leading up the finale felt like needless busywork that ultimately had no real impact (
why go through all these "battle preparations" and assembling the sorceresses, then the final fight is just a couple of 1v1 sword fights? All of those other people didn't even make an appearance in the finale
)

Then
Yen ends up getting stuck and not moving during the climatic high speed run to the tower. After all that Ciri goes through the portal, somehow comes back, but then is just in a bad mood for the epilogue with no explanation at all. No idea on what happened to her on the other side or if she did what she was supposed to do.
That part of the ending just fell flat.

Philtastic

Liking the little series. I think with the combat it's pretty much one can add some variety to spice it up but very few encounters require it past a certain level so it's easy to fall into the same patterns or just be too OP which of course can make it feel less engaging.

I guess that's really the "problem": there are no monsters where just using Quen and/or dodging around won't be sufficient, although very tedious and time-consuming. The only real advantage of mixing it up is for efficiency where you kill the enemies much faster. On the one hand, having non-puzzle fights (enemies where you must do certain moves or use specific items) I feel is generally better since you can't completely trivialize an enemy by knowing the solution but, on the other hand, as you've said, at some point you become either so OP or just don't bother mixing things up that every enemy gets treated the same way.

Another criticism which I will tie into this is that the crafting system does leave much to be desired since, as many have said, you often either find better gear by the time you get to craft something level appropriate or the witcher gear is just so much better that there's no point in either crafting or finding anything else. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that 99% of the items I pick up in this game is junk or redundant.

The only solution that I've been able to think of to remedy these is to remove many of the leveling and gear/item aspects and treat the game more as a character action game with exceptional story and characters (somewhat like the Legend of Zelda series but with a better world). Get rid of the leveling up which is how you become so OP to many of the creatures in the game; maybe keep some kind of talent tree for character customization where the only source of points are the places of power to encourage exploration. Have all bombs and potions available from the start: afterall, Geralt is a master witcher. Enemies will also no longer have any levels and will only get easier by gaining more talent points.

Concerning gear and items, I don't think anyone would miss inventory and weight management and, really, there are only like 4 sets of armour in the game worth using anyway. Bombs and potions could be selected from a menu and quest items are really just checkmarks for quests that don't need actual items in an inventory. Roll the bonuses from gear into the talent tree and then remove gear entirely. Have hp regen outside of combat which allows you to remove food and drinks entirely. The loot in this game sucks and is really just clutter. Just drop the inventory and items all together. Less time wasted looting bags and drawers and more time exploring the world and meeting/killing interesting things.

These are radical changes which basically remove many hallmarks of RPGs but, when I think about it, maybe we don't really need them. From looking at the posts in various Witcher threads, most people seem to play it for the story, characters, and world. By streamlining the interface and removing clutter while still retaining the variety that an inventory might provide, I think that you'd only enhance the experience that most people are looking for.

Lanrutcon

So I discovered bombs. Why am I carrying swords again? Why wouldn't a Witcher just pack 10 of these cluster death grenade things and enjoy 2 hour work weeks?

Looking for a mod that ups consumable carrying rates now, because sod only carrying 3 of those things. I'll happily dump my inventory to become a grenadier.

Xeteh

So I discovered bombs. Why am I carrying swords again? Why wouldn't a Witcher just pack 10 of these cluster death grenade things and enjoy 2 hour work weeks?

Looking for a mod that ups consumable carrying rates now, because sod only carrying 3 of those things. I'll happily dump my inventory to become a grenadier.

There's a talent in alchemy that increases how many bombs you can carry.

Philtastic

See? This is what I mean! There are more tools than just your sword that often make quick work of enemies. Do note that you can meditate to replenish all of your consumables for the cost of one alcohol per meditate (I think any alcohol does it but particularly alcoholest) so chuck your bombs and down your potions!

Lanrutcon

See? This is what I mean! There are more tools than just your sword that often make quick work of enemies. Do note that you can meditate to replenish all of your consumables for the cost of one alcohol per meditate (I think any alcohol does it but particularly alcoholest) so chuck your bombs and down your potions!

Once I have enough points I want to go heavy armor and alchemy. Bombs are a lot of fun.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Craziness all the people modding out toxicity, carry limits, repairing, level requirements. The game is pretty easy to deal with on it's own. I have saddlebags that let me carry like 160, and all quest items, and alchemy ingredients are weightless.

Just mod in all skills unlocked, and one-hit kills while you're at it.

I think it would be interesting if they did away with levels altogether. If they crafted each encounter to be challenging based on on stats, but maybe acquired skill trees and potions and oils. The best battles are the ones where you're five levels too low, and the enemies can actually hurt you.

Anyhow, there's some tweaking CDPR needs to do. IIRC the first ver of this game had weight for alchemy items. So even CDPR said 'this is crazy' at some point.

Xeteh

Craziness all the people modding out toxicity, carry limits, repairing, level requirements. The game is pretty easy to deal with on it's own. I have saddlebags that let me carry like 160, and all quest items, and alchemy ingredients are weightless.

I think it would be interesting if they did away with levels altogether. If they crafted each encounter to be challenging based on on stats, but maybe acquired skill trees and potions and oils. The best battles are the ones where you're five levels too low, and the enemies can actually hurt you.

Anyhow, there's some tweaking CDPR needs to do. IIRC the first ver of this game had weight for alchemy items. So even CDPR said 'this is crazy' at some point.

Who cares how other people play? Their game, let'm do what they want.

Only thing I modded was removing the visual effects of Toxicity because if I was going to play as alchemy I wasn't going to spend the entire game with the green boarder and Geralt looking like a zombie in every cutscene.

Finalow

I'm level 32 and at the final mission of the game. I doubt I'll get to 35 with just that and I finished all the contracts + most of the side quests (what's left is very low level so pointless), any fast way to get to 35 from here?

Hoplatee

There is a difference between removing ugly tox and witcher sense visuals, more inventory space, autoloot, items that don't break, text on inventory items, lod on hair etc vs well.. uh god mode.

There is no fun in that. Removing slight annoyances however is great. It's not a matter of 'being easy as it is', it's about making the experience more enjoyable for whatever reason. And it's great that you can on pc.

Edit - and yes. Bombs are amazing. Esp vs humans haha

aravuus

Well this is a stupid attitude

Yu Narukami

When am I supposed to go to Skellige? I'm level 15 right now which means I'm way overleveled for the main quest. Doing
Whoreson
right now. The problem is I already have some quests for Skellige that are level 11 or 12 I think. And there is a main quest there which is level 16. How many main quests are there still left in Novigrad?

When am I supposed to go to Skellige? I'm level 15 right now which means I'm way overleveled for the main quest. Doing
Whoreson
right now. The problem is I already have some quests for Skellige that are level 11 or 12 I think. And there is a main quest there which is level 16. How many main quests are there still left in Novigrad?

I'd finish all the main quests in Novigrad before heading to Skellige. You'll be overleveled no matter what you do. Make sure to increase the difficulty if you aren't on Death March already.

Yu Narukami

I'm playing on a difficulty below DM. I regret it now. I can't change it to DM or i'll lose the trophy.
Another question. Are red mutagens supposed to be rare? They never seem to drop. Is there a place where I can farm them?

I'm playing on a difficulty below DM. I regret it now. I can't change it to DM or i'll lose the trophy.
Another question. Are red mutagens supposed to be rare? They never seem to drop. Is there a place where I can farm them?

What do you mean lose the trophy? Surely you'll only lose it if you DEcrease the difficulty? Who cares anyway? Having fun/personal enjoyment should go above trophies.

Red mutagens are rare in Velen and Novigrad, but there are plenty in Skellige.

Top Bottom