• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Coreda

Hearts of Stone desktop background hype. 1080p / 1440p size.

1080phhohw.jpg

Ledhead

Started a fresh play through on Death March. I could of gone NG+, but wanted it to be as challenging as possible. Currently questing in Novigrad and just starting up the Dandelion stuff.

God I love this game. Already encountered a bunch of quests, locations, and characters I missed out on in my first play through

Ricker

I'm level 32 and at the final mission of the game. I doubt I'll get to 35 with just that and I finished all the contracts + most of the side quests (what's left is very low level so pointless), any fast way to get to 35 from here?

Depends what you mean by final mission...I just finished the game and and was level 34 near the part of no return and the last section got me to 35...I have 2 secondary quests left,one is the werewolf quest thats bugged,it's level 28 anyway and one elemental I couldn't beat on the first try and just ran out,which is level 30...also did not do most races and fist fights and no Gwen stuff either...plus a level 35 sidequest in Oxenfurt...also I never went to a big section in the bottom right corner of Velen or Skell,cant remember,I see the yellow notice board there...

but depending on the difficulty you are at 32 is okay,on normal anyway.

So yeah,loved the game I think I got the good ending,well it was good for me ,I,ll head to the spoiler thread to read some stuff.

Good luck.

Majestad

Banned
Not really a big surprise but there won't be any 1.09 patch. Going to be 1.10.

There should be some news about it very soon.

Looks amazing. Wonder who that cloaked person is at the end. Hype!

I wonder if the patch will be released at the same time as Hearth of Stone.

I'm near the end of the game but I want to play Hearts of Stone. Can you continue playing the game after you beat it or should I wait for it's release and then finish the game?

I have no time for NG+!

danthefan

Have an annoying "how far am I?" question, I've just hit
Kaer Morhen with Uma
, around how much of the main story am I though?

Hoplatee

Oh wow, that's further than I thought. Thanks.

For some annoying reason my play timer reset itself, but I've somewhere between 45-50 hours played, so I guess I'm heading for 70 or there abouts by the time I'm done.

Well. It's always a bit hard to say exactly. For example if you barely did any sidequesting you might as well be at around 40% of the game.

But as far as main story goes it's 60/65/70ish. Still a lot to go yup!

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/652057373335535616

Hope you like to read because that Patch 1.10 changelog is massive. Coming later today. @witchergame #WildHunt #HeartsofStone

Patch 1.10 notes coming today! :D

I've been playing on PS4, wouldn't mind some framerate improvements. Although the framerate doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the game at all. It's weird, on the PC I notice every framerate drop and it annoys me, but on console I just sit back and don't really give a shit.

Hoplatee

Awesome. Really excited to see the romance changes IF they are in this patch. I got a level 28 save ready right at the
Last Wish quest with A matter of life and death open ready for my Triss run

Replayed up to that part last few days with no exp loss so it would be a great moment for HoS as well instead of after completing the game because
all characters are still around instead of that silly world state after end of the game

Edit - here it is.

http://bit.ly/patch110log

Alpende

Dammit / Yay, now they've fixed the Horse Race: Velen bug. Couldn't do that after the main story and now I can but I already started a NG+ playtrough. I better have an old save file to get that trophy.

Egg0

Banned
So I haven't touched Witcher 3 in a bit what with all the games that came out the past couple months. Anytime I get time with it, I spend doing scavenger hunts. I'm level 31 and the only main quest I have now is Final Preparations.

Am I close enough to the end of the main story to push through it and play the expansion in NG+? Also anyone playing/played NG+ on Death march, is it a huge leap in challenge?

Karl Hawk

Banned
So I haven't touched Witcher 3 in a bit what with all the games that came out the past couple months. Anytime I get time with it, I spend doing scavenger hunts. I'm level 31 and the only main quest I have now is Final Preparations.

Am I close enough to the end of the main story to push through it and play the expansion in NG+? Also anyone playing/played NG+ on Death march, is it a huge leap in challenge?

You're close to the end and ready to play the expansion at this rate, so you should hold off NG+ for a little more while since the expansion requires you to be level 60 for NG+.

As for NG+ Death March, its still a challenge early on, but gets easier eventually.

Egg0

Banned
You're close to the end and ready to play the expansion at this rate, so you should hold off NG+ for a little more while since the expansion requires you to be level 60 for NG+.

As for NG+ Death March, its still a challenge early on, but gets easier eventually.

Ah ok, thanks. I was looking to mop up some of these bugged side quests in NG+, but I'll just do it when the patch hits.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Deathmarch is very doable even in the beginning if you are careful and make use of Quen.

The powers that you need to use place priority in for deathmarch are Quen (get it to level 3), Aard, so you can open up the ability to mindwarp enemies into attacking others. This will be your life blood. Also make damn sure you unlock the ability to block arrows. As arrows will do a lot of damage in deathmarch. Make good use of thunderbolt and swallow.

You will be fine.

Just reached level 45 in NG+, will have to step up a notch if I am to get 55+ before the expansion. Gonna mix things up and do Skellige before Novigrad this time. I skipped quite some content there in my first playthrough.

Sai

Soon as I got started, I kind of figured it would end up this way. Even though it's NG+, I just can't seem to go through this game a third time right now. I've done everything there is to be done twice before, and there's a bunch of new stuff coming out this month... So, I'm about to start Ladies of the Wood at Lv40, and I think I'm just going to continue this until I get the Even Odds trophy and Platinum this game, then use the endgame save I preserved to start Hearts of Stone on Monday.

illusionary

:D

Hi there,

Great news! Your order has been dispatched and will be delivered soon.

Items Qty Unit Price Total
The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone With Gwent Cards - Only at GAME (PlayStation 4)

Now to go and read over those patch notes...

Philtastic

Deathmarch is very doable even in the beginning if you are careful and make use of Quen.

The powers that you need to use place priority in for deathmarch are Quen (get it to level 3), Aard, so you can open up the ability to mindwarp enemies into attacking others. This will be your life blood. Also make damn sure you unlock the ability to block arrows. As arrows will do a lot of damage in deathmarch. Make good use of thunderbolt and swallow.

You will be fine.

I am going to politely disagree with the Quen suggestion. In my opinion, Quen is absolutely the worst sign to use in any battle against things that are humanoid size or smaller. It is almost always the case that you will survive better and do more damage by using almost any other sign, whether because you prevent all or most of them from attacking in the first place while allowing you to get some swings in (Aard, Igni - instant kills from knockdowns with Aard, light on fire with Igni and lowers enemy armour if you upgrade it), you slow them down so that you can more easily dodge, parry, and attack them (Yrden - staggers enemies if you've upgraded it), or you stun/mind control one with Axii which takes one enemy out of the fight, allows you to get swings in on them, or creates a distraction if you've upgraded it for mind control. Unless you upgrade Quen, it only really absorbs 1-2 hits on Death March which doesn't really help much when you have a bunch of monsters quickly attacking you. Even if you upgrade it, you need to get hit for it to do anything.

The best approach to combat in this game is to not even let the enemy attack at all (which renders Quen useless) through a combination of signs, bombs (both offensive direct damage that can instantly kill a bunch and ones that crowd control or remove enemy abilities), and potions to augment your damage, slow enemies down (Blizzard - you need to kill one enemy first before it takes effect), and increase your stamina regen so that you can spam signs (Tawny Owl).

When you're new to Death March, you may want to use Quen until you're confident in your abilities to dodge and parry enemy attacks but, afterward, I would only use Quen for enemies that have large attacks that are impossible/extremely difficult to dodge or do incredible amounts of damage (ie. anything larger than humanoid like golems, gryphons, vampires, armored arachas). Otherwise, Quen only slows your combat down and leads to a lot of complaining about how the combat in this game is so slow.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am going to politely disagree with the Quen suggestion. In my opinion, Quen is absolutely the worst sign to use in any battle against things that are humanoid size or smaller. It is almost always the case that you will survive better and do more damage by using almost any other sign, whether because you prevent all or most of them from attacking in the first place while allowing you to get some swings in (Aard, Igni - instant kills from knockdowns with Aard, light on fire with Igni and lowers enemy armour if you upgrade it), you slow them down so that you can more easily dodge, parry, and attack them (Yrden - staggers enemies if you've upgraded it), or you stun/mind control one with Axii which takes one enemy out of the fight, allows you to get swings in on them, or creates a distraction if you've upgraded it for mind control. Unless you upgrade Quen, it only really absorbs 1-2 hits on Death March which doesn't really help much when you have a bunch of monsters quickly attacking you. Even if you upgrade it, you need to get hit for it to do anything.

The best approach to combat in this game is to not even let the enemy attack at all (which renders Quen useless) through a combination of signs, bombs (both offensive direct damage that can instantly kill a bunch and ones that crowd control or remove enemy abilities), and potions to augment your damage, slow enemies down (Blizzard - you need to kill one enemy first before it takes effect), and increase your stamina regen so that you can spam signs (Tawny Owl).

When you're new to Death March, you may want to use Quen until you're confident in your abilities to dodge and parry enemy attacks but, afterward, I would only use Quen for enemies that have large attacks that are impossible/extremely difficult to dodge or do incredible amounts of damage (ie. anything larger than humanoid like golems, gryphons, vampires, armored arachas). Otherwise, Quen only slows your combat down and leads to a lot of complaining about how the combat in this game is so slow.

You are the first person to argue against Quen and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Yes, Quen will protect you from 1-2 hits, but those 1-2 hits are pretty damn critical. If you're facing an enemy with long range attacks and don't use quen you will be dead in often two hits or less. Without quen you might succeed but since the game prioritizes animation over everything else, its VERY easy to get caught in a situation where geralt uses a long wind up attack that will cause you to get hit. Not only that, enemies will often get in cheap hits due to attacks coming from off screen and being able to cover long distances. Quen gives me margin for error if I accidently over commit on an attack that leaves me vulnerable.

Ideally when you're playing deathmarch your goal is to avoid crowds at all costs.

But you do bring up a good point that different methods work for different people, but my strategy is what most people I've read recommend for deathmarch.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
WITCHER 3 IS INCREDIBLE!!!

Had to say this. I am replaying Witcher 3 and i am on the Cardinal sins quest.
On my first playthrough i killed Nathaniel and told Dandelion i did the deed. Case solved. Replaying the game i did the same as a did in my first playthough and walking through novigrad i happened upon another victim. oh snap. Reloaded my save and decided to talk to Nathaniel rather that kill him,
and oh my goodness......

ebevan91

WITCHER 3 IS INCREDIBLE!!!

Had to say this. I am replaying Witcher 3 and i am on the Cardinal sins quest. On my first playthrough i killed Nathaniel and told Dandelion i did the deed. Case solved. Replaying the game i did the same as a did in my first playthough and walking through novigrad i happened upon another victim. oh snap. Reloaded my save and decided to talk to Nathaniel rather that kill him, and oh my goodness......

I don't really care, but you're going to piss some people off by not putting spoiler tags.

So, I'm about to start Final Preparations. I'm guessing this will be the last quest/series of quests. I was wondering how long it would take to complete them all in one sitting?

Finalow

meh, grinded my way to level 35 with cyclops, killed around 40 of them and that single spot was full of bodies, pretty hilarious.

GWENT DIFFICULTY LEVELS
the lady at the tournament (second opponent iirc) was fucking insane. took me like 6-7 retries and you can't even save after. rest of them were easy though.

Hoplatee

So, I'm about to start Final Preparations. I'm guessing this will be the last quest/series of quests. I was wondering how long it would take to complete them all in one sitting?

Including that one there are still around 10 quests left. Some long, some short but plenty of story stuff. So I guess around 3 hours or so.

Vaporak

Hey I'm thinking about giving the Witcher 3 another play through with the first expansion and considering new game +. But how do the items work? Is my mastercrafted witcher gear now crappy low level gear only useable at the start of new game +, and I have to change over to the randomly dropped loot for the entirety of the new game? Or are the witcher school gears leveled up to still be good, in which case I won't have anything to wear and use at the start of the game...

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
Hey I'm thinking about giving the Witcher 3 another play through with the first expansion and considering new game +. But how do the items work? Is my mastercrafted witcher gear now crappy low level gear only useable at the start of new game +, and I have to change over to the randomly dropped loot for the entirety of the new game? Or are the witcher school gears leveled up to still be good, in which case I won't have anything to wear and use at the start of the game...

Depends. They're basic level stuff in NG+, however you can find (by redoing treasure hunt quests) "legendary" upgrades that buff them up (same as in NG).

Philtastic

You are the first person to argue against Quen and I couldn't disagree with you more.

Yes, Quen will protect you from 1-2 hits, but those 1-2 hits are pretty damn critical. If you're facing an enemy with long range attacks and don't use quen you will be dead in often two hits or less. Without quen you might succeed but since the game prioritizes animation over everything else, its VERY easy to get caught in a situation where geralt uses a long wind up attack that will cause you to get hit. Not only that, enemies will often get in cheap hits due to attacks coming from off screen and being able to cover long distances. Quen gives me margin for error if I accidently over commit on an attack that leaves me vulnerable.

Ideally when you're playing deathmarch your goal is to avoid crowds at all costs.

But you do bring up a good point that different methods work for different people, but my strategy is what most people I've read recommend for deathmarch.

- Kill the ranged guys first either because you can run right up to them or because you threw a bomb in their faces that either instantly kills them (Grapeshot) or crowd controls them for a decently long time (Samum blind). Or just time your attacks so that you swing only after you've dodged the 1-2 arrows coming your way.
- There is no "priority on animations". Animation speed is mostly determined by how far away you are from your target. 1 dodge length away, he jumps in which takes awhile. Half dodge length, he spins/takes a step. Point blank is a quick swing. In any case, don't swing if there's a bunch of dudes covering your target because, no matter what swing you make, you're probably going to get hit.
- You can almost always be swinging when no one can retaliate because you crowd controlled them (bombs, signs, Tawny Owl for sign usage every 2-3 seconds).
- Attacks should never be coming from off screen because your positioning is good enough that everyone is in front of you at all times... which has the added benefit of making them cluster together for your signs, bombs, or just hitting multiple targets per swing.

Yes, Quen and dodge around until Quen is back up is the strategy that a lot of people recommend. It is also the strategy that no one enjoys and makes everyone hate the combat because it's apparently slow and unwieldy. Almost any other approach is faster and more interesting than this.

Davide

Yeah that whole quest was bugged for me. Try reloading if you can and don't use the lamp on all of them. Solved it for me
I was able to finish it, what I did was just go straight to the "bury" point and apparently I didn't even need to pick up the bones. I assume the new patch fixes the quest anyway.

Hoplatee

Loaded a few saves of my Yen run to check out the new romance / extra dialogue at certain sections. It's not much but welcome.
Minor conversations with Ciri and Triss about it. It's kinda cute really.

Curious to see what the added Triss stuff will bring. I will soon start the DM Triss run and probably get way too frustrated at the difficulty :p

I was able to finish it, what I did was just go straight to the "bury" point and apparently I didn't even need to pick up the bones. I assume the new patch fixes the quest anyway.

Glad to hear!

NeoGiff

Just started a Death March NG+ on PS4 to check out the new patch. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but the framerate seems A LOT smoother now. I am still in White Orchard though. Velen will be the real test.

Top Bottom