• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

bathala

Banned
I'm wondering if its memory issue.

i felt drained after loosing couple of minutes of completed quests

EDIT: oh for the uncut cards, the old uncensored patch seems to work
09.gif

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone tried this adventure yet?
New Area (Town of Carreas) - You will be able to see Carreas come alive with this new area.
New Story - A compelling story that allows 4-5 hours of game play. Follow the intrigue of Geralt as he is attempting to save his oft-troubled friend Dandelion from the jaws of justice.
http://www.gamershell.com/download_33152.shtml

TheExodu5

Banned
Zzoram said:
I'll try it I guess, but I don't want to have to undo the AF thing every time I play another game. I could create a custom Witcher profile, I suppose, but call me lazy :lol

Has anyone had luck forcing vsync? I don't like the spikes up to 150fps.

Well, I can't fathom you'd have any games where you wouldn't want to force AF. AF has almost zero impact on performance on GeForce 7 or higher.

BeeDog

I've heard some people report that many of the characters in the game seem to talk about completely unrelated things (like the specific lines are meant for different areas, or characters even).

Can anyone point them out please? Wanna see how off those dialogues are. :lol

bathala said:
well i bothered with the uncensored patch when i saw the abigail art. arf she looks wild :lol

and this was the only difference right? ....nudey cards in uncensored version?

Played for about an hour last night...enough to get up to the 1st Chapter and nail Merigold

What I really dig about this game is how much it reminds me of oh so wonderful Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain :D

Zzoram

PhlegmMaster said:
Still haven't managed to find this game in Montreal. I guess I'll have to order it from the states, or from the UK. Meh.

No Steam? It's no tax and the $ makes it cheaper to buy than in a Canadian store.

You could try to get a local EB to order it for you if you want the boxed version.

Zzoram

BeeDog said:
I've heard some people report that many of the characters in the game seem to talk about completely unrelated things (like the specific lines are meant for different areas, or characters even).

Can anyone point them out please? Wanna see how off those dialogues are. :lol

It happened with the original too. It was a result of poor translation of the Polish dialog, and cutting a few lines here and there. The Dwarf guy, I think his name was Zoltan Chivay, he's got a few disjoint lines.

Zzoram

AgentOtaku said:
and this was the only difference right? ....nudey cards in uncensored version?

Played for about an hour last night...enough to get up to the 1st Chapter and nail Merigold

What I really dig about this game is how much it reminds me of oh so wonderful Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain :D

Ya, the only thing censored is nudey cards, and I think 1 character model of a Dryad losing her nipples.

The first ~hour is the tutorial, the 1st Chapter takes place in the Vizima Outskirts, and it's pretty obvious where Chapter 2 will take you. Just remember to do all the things you are interested in while you're still in Chapter 1 because you can't get back there. Chapter 1 can be around 10 hours depending on what you do, and how many times you die/crash.

Autosave is great because it never creates more than 3, and will write over previous ones. This is unlike Crysis Warhead, where I now have 80 autosaves because they just keep on going.

epmode

Finished the prologue and I'm a few hours into Chapter 1. I'd be in love with the game if it wasn't for the incredibly distracting blurry graphics bug shown here (not the cutscene pixellation, I fixed that).

Is there any word on a fix? Setting lighting to low fixes the problem but that's kind of a shitty solution.

I want to be in love with your game, CDProjekt. Help pls!

bathala

Banned
i finally finished chapter one. WOW. it climax into like a tv series like.

I'm on the city now and liking the grittiness of it.

i'm juggling between this and LBP

calder

Oh good, I can play this game again now.

F'ing Steam, my internet went down Wednesday (bad connection outside the building) and it took Shaw until today to get it fixed. The true evil of DD smacked me around as I have 5 vacation days starting Thursday (my bday) which meant I had all day to play Witcher... except I couldn't because Steam couldn't phone home. Tried starting Steam in offline mode but that never worked either (Steam kept trying to update, then said there was an error when I told it to start in offline mode) so I couldn't even see which games I COULD play offline. Very irritating. And I couldn't download Wipeout HD, which sucked.

Hunter D

I bought the witcher because of you guys and if I don't like it a lot of you fools better make sure you lock your homes good at night.

edit: wtf I get an "error, d3dx9_35.dll needed," when trying to run the game. Anyone know how to fix this?

botkiller

I'm probably about half way through Chapter 1 right now. I'm really enjoying the game, but I have a few questions:

1. When a quest says it requires a bestiary entry, does that mean I have to read the book containing information on the monster? I'm assuming so because I've killed a few Ghouls, I remember gathering their blood, but it's not in my inventory.

2. Do the non sword weapons ever come in handy? I've been carrying a dagger and mace around for a while, but I've never used them. Is there a point to having these?

3. I picked up 4 boxes of dice and one of them disappeared after talking to a Dwarf (Zoltan, I think) but the other three are still in my quest item inventory. Is there someone else I need to talk to to get rid of them?

Zzoram

Hunter D said:
I bought the witcher because of you guys and if I don't like it a lot of you fools better make sure you lock your homes good at night.

edit: wtf I get an "error, d3dx9_35.dll needed," when trying to run the game. Anyone know how to fix this?

Try downloading the latest version of Direct X 9.0c from MSFT and installing it if you're on Windows XP. Sometimes that fixes things, especially things with d3dx9 in the error message.

Zzoram

botkiller said:
I'm probably about half way through Chapter 1 right now. I'm really enjoying the game, but I have a few questions:

1. When a quest says it requires a bestiary entry, does that mean I have to read the book containing information on the monster? I'm assuming so because I've killed a few Ghouls, I remember gathering their blood, but it's not in my inventory.

2. Do the non sword weapons ever come in handy? I've been carrying a dagger and mace around for a while, but I've never used them. Is there a point to having these?

3. I picked up 4 boxes of dice and one of them disappeared after talking to a Dwarf (Zoltan, I think) but the other three are still in my quest item inventory. Is there someone else I need to talk to to get rid of them?

1. You need to learn about beasts/planets before you can harvest useful parts from them. You can get the journal entry by reading the appropriate book, or having villagers tell you a story that does the same thing. There are some things you have to get from reading books. Villagers generally don't tell you the story unless you give them what they want, and it's easier to just keep track of books since it tells you if you've read a particular book before. Just spend money buying books about plants or particular monsters (but skip the history ones or ones about humanoid races). There isn't much else to spend money on.

2. The only 2 weapons you will ever use are Steel and Silver swords. The Axes/Hammers/Knives are useless and just sell them for money.

3. I forgot, but I know you only need 1 box of dice to play. I'd just keep them for now, I think the quest item inventory slot may have unlimited capacity, but I'm not sure. If you ever find you can't pick up a quest item, then ditch the excess dice boxes.

Zzoram

epmode said:
Finished the prologue and I'm a few hours into Chapter 1. I'd be in love with the game if it wasn't for the incredibly distracting blurry graphics bug shown here (not the cutscene pixellation, I fixed that).

Is there any word on a fix? Setting lighting to low fixes the problem but that's kind of a shitty solution.

I want to be in love with your game, CDProjekt. Help pls!

Force AF in your drivers (uncheck the Application Controlled box, and set it to 16x) and that should fix it even on High lighting.

Hunter D

Zzoram said:
Try downloading the latest version of Direct X 9.0c from MSFT and installing it if you're on Windows XP. Sometimes that fixes things, especially things with d3dx9 in the error message.
I did this a few minutes before your post. AA really kills the framerate in this game. Without it I can run this on high at 720p on my laptop.

edit:anyway I can play this without the cd.

Zzoram

Okay so I'm about 5 seconds from finishing Chapter I. I missed a few quests apparently, but I don't really care, I don't have to get everything. There are no achievements :lol

This is my first EE playthrough. I got to the early parts of Chapter III in the original version before I stopped because I heard about the EE. I built a new computer since so I didn't have my old save file to continue from.

epmode

Tendo said:
Has a fix been found for the no blood issue? patch or otherwise?
This was patched in about a week ago.

I hope they get around to patching the blurry-everything-after-one-cutscene-unless-you're-at-low-quality-lighting bug. It's very distracting.

Slathe

botkiller said:

The only one I recall using was the torch, which was amazing at killing the plant monsters that come out of the ground because of the fire damage (that I think stacks or at least hurts them a ton)

dLMN8R

epmode said:
This was patched in about a week ago.

I hope they get around to patching the blurry-everything-after-one-cutscene-unless-you're-at-low-quality-lighting bug. It's very distracting.
If I bought the game on Impulse, do I need to manually download the patch for it?

Zzoram

Hunter D said:
I only played the intro, but like what I've seen so far.

Anyone know where I can get configs for this?

I don't have any configs, but honestly it doesn't matter. It runs 60+fps avg no problem with an HD4870. The only issue is you can't seem to force vsync.

Zzoram

Chapter I done. Man it's so easy to miss side quests. Also, inventory space is at a premium as usual, it's too bad Greases and Alcohol bases don't go in the ingredient's inventory.

Volcynika

bathala said:
It borders to Piracy, but its there a way to play this game with no CD like Spore

My friend told me the EE patch made the game where you didn't need the CD, so he may be wrong I guess? Not sure.

calder

Almost done the game, about half done Chapter V. I have tried to do every side quest I could find and have probably only missed a handful, and now Geralt is a fucking killing machine. :lol I love having him a wee bit overpowered now, there are seemingly eternally spawning enemies at points in this chapter and I spent like 10 minutes just killing fools, I had killed at least a hundred or more (couldn't loot corpses sadly) and they could barely damage me at all.

Truly one of my favourite games this year, it's the perfect blend of RPG and action/adventure for my tastes, and the setting/characters are a welcome change of pace for me. Call it goofy, but I like the fact Geralt beds damn near every female he crosses paths with, infinitely better than being another spiky haired Cloud clone moping around and bitching about his fate.

bathala

Banned
Volcynika said:
My friend told me the EE patch made the game where you didn't need the CD, so he may be wrong I guess? Not sure.
does he have the original Witcher or EE

i don't know wats the current patch for EE it just says 1.4 not 1.4.5.(so on)

SRG01

Volcynika said:

Wait, what? I bought the EE version and it still needs the CD.

FuKuy

I installed the EE patch (1.4) to my "old" version of The Witcher and NO CD required anymore to play. GREAT!!

auto-loot is the best addition to the game, seriously

man those "music inspirted by The Witcher" tracks are sooo bad, one or two are good but the rest are really, really bad.

Prime crotch said:
auto-loot is the best addition to the game, seriously
What is the auto-loot feature?

Is there a nudity patch for the american EE version?

All of the reviews that I've read say that you can play the game however you want. With that said, is there any way I can screw up my characters talents?

suikodan

I've restarted my game with the EE installed, mapped the keyboard keys on the 360 pad and I am playing the game on my 44" TV with 5.1 sound.

I really like the game, its atmosphere and the characters. I haven't encountered any crashes yet and I was alt-tabbing a lot and playing the game in a window.

And it's really sad that the EE isn't available in Montreal. Nothing at EBGames, Gamestop, Best Buy or Future Shop. Even the regular version is hard to find. I bought mine at Walmart.

Kestastrophe said:

All of the reviews that I've read say that you can play the game however you want. With that said, is there any way I can screw up my characters talents?
Press CTRL and loot something, it will pick up everything without opening the menu like before.

Sanjay

suikodan could I check your gamepad config out? xpadder profile?

I too want to play on my 46" HDTV with 5.1 sound :D

hulot

Just got my boxed game, EU version. Installed Polish and German but I don't see any way to switch to them from English voiceovers in the options menu. Can anyone help?

Zzoram

Kestastrophe said:

Only on the hardest setting can you be somewhat hurt by poor choices, but even then not really, you can make up for it with alchemy. The potions and greases and bombs are really powerful.

Top Bottom