• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Baker

Banned
Is there any way to change the camera rotation button in the isometric view? My stupid mouse just keeps doing desktop functions when I press down on the scroll wheel. I wanted to use the OTS view, but I'm not really digging it for some reason.

Also, I tried to do that 1600 rez fix through the nvidia control panel. However, when I add 'launcher.exe' to the program list, it won't save. I had to change my global settings just to get it to work.

Althane

Sinatar said:
There is some replay value, multiple story paths and whatnot, but it's like a 40+ hour long game. Do you really need multiple playthroughs of something that big?

I enjoy it. But with that long I'd probably get my money's worth ($1 = 1 hour...) from it. Heh.

Should install windows partition. Soon' as I get my external hard drive.

Zzoram

I spent almost 30 hours just beating Act 1 and Act 2. It was really only 25 hours of play though, since that was patch 1.1 and 5 hours of that was loading :lol

On the bright side, it makes you way more thorough in exploration of places, because you want to reduce the number of times you load a zone.

Has anyone with an ATI card using 8.9 cats managed to force Vsync? I cannot get it to work on my end and the tearing nags me to no end.

botkiller

I'm a little more than an hour in and I'm liking it so far. The conversations are somewhat rigid, but are a huge improvement compared to the small bits I've seen from the original version. I really wish there was some way to play in over the shoulder mode with the camera pulled back a bit more.

Any suggestions on mods or anything to improve my initial playthrough?

Zzoram

CabbageRed said:
Has anyone with an ATI card using 8.9 cats managed to force Vsync? I cannot get it to work on my end and the tearing nags me to no end.

I am using HD4870 with cat 8.9 and I can't force it either.

Zzoram

botkiller said:
I'm a little more than an hour in and I'm liking it so far. The conversations are somewhat rigid, but are a huge improvement compared to the small bits I've seen from the original version. I really wish there was some way to play in over the shoulder mode with the camera pulled back a bit more.

Any suggestions on mods or anything to improve my initial playthrough?

oops wrong thread

Um, just play it by wing. Don't read much into the game, and don't worry about making decisions. A lot of people have the awful mentality of wanting to see what every decision results in. Don't do that, just stick to a choice and go with it. Remember to use alchemy to make some useful potions for boss fights. Oh, and as with every RPGish game, don't be a pack rat. Learn to sell or deposit things you don't absolutely need, or that are not as good as other things you have.

Zzoram

Just English, I don't know the other languages.

witcher2008-09-2200-18-54-50.jpg

witcher2008-09-2200-20-44-09.jpg

witcher2008-09-2200-21-18-37.jpg

Zzoram

Note I'm experiencing the weird blurring/blockiness bug, that may be fixed by lowering Lighting to medium.

I'd really like to force vsync but it doesn't work, and my framerate is causing annoying tears because it goes from like 35 to 120 fps.

Zzoram

AgentOtaku said:
There still is subtitles yeah?

I guess, but I'd rather just play with English voices. I do notice that saving and loading has improved dramatically. The initial load is a tad shorter, but the transitions between floors and in/out of a building are less than half as long as they used to be.

Zzoram said:
I guess, but I'd rather just play with English voices. I do notice that saving and loading has improved dramatically. The initial load is a tad shorter, but the transitions between floors and in/out of a building are less than half as long as they used to be.

I noticed the DoF going on in the background in those pics...that's not DX10 only is it? ...or is dx10 not even supported?

Zzoram

AgentOtaku said:
I noticed the DoF going on in the background in those pics...that's not DX10 only is it? ...or is dx10 not even supported?

There's a Depth of Field box to check in the settings. I have everything maxed but Lighting on Medium (to fix the blocky cutscene bug).

I don't think there's a DX10 mode, but I am playing on Vista 64.

Zzoram

The camera is a lot twitchier than I remember. Also, the game seems to run almost too fast. I'm getting spikes up to 150fps, and I think the game moves a bit too fast when that happens.

I played Act 1 and Act 2 on my old computer, which ran the game at 20fps avg on medium settings, so this 60+fps avg maxed thing is weirding me out.

Zzoram

Just a tip for people, the only useful magic signs are the stun/knockdown one (Agni?) and the fire one (Igni?). The others suck, just put your skill points into the main attribute skills or unlocking Steel skills first since you don't get a Silver sword until Act 2. Also, you don't really need group style in Act 1 so focus on Strong/Fast and your attributes like Strength/Dexterity/Stamina.

Of course get the Intelligence ability to pick wild herbs, you'll need them for potions eventually. The oils skill you won't need in Act 1 since nothing is particularly hard except the boss. You do want it eventually to make awesome combat potions for later.

senahorse

Really liking this game so far, very glad I bought it. I am still only in Act one and I have put in quite a few hours. Love the music :D

AMUSIX

AgentOtaku said:
you try any diff languages yet?
I'm playing it in Czech, and the voices are excellent. They've really chosen actors who can deliver a voice that sounds like it'd be coming from that particular character. Of course, the slavic look of the faces helps, but there have only been a few instances where the voices didn't work (Alvin).

Also...WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I WALK????!! I saw this as a complaint brought up over and over and over again when the original came out, and am shocked it wasn't one of the improvements in the EE. There's no chance that there's a simple mod out there that allows walking in OTS view (or toggled walking in any view?).

epmode

Zzoram said:
Note I'm experiencing the weird blurring/blockiness bug,
Oh hay, I get that too. Thought I was going crazy or something. I don't really want to lower my lighting settings to fix it, though.

Is there a fix in the works for this or has it been around since the original release?

suikodan

Sorry to bring again the CD-Key issue up but for those who got theirs from Atari after sending a request, is it possible to know where you're from? I'm talking with several canadian players whose emails have gone unanswered and yet, some people here were saying they got their CD-Key within the hour.

Like, which URL did you send the request from? Did you get an email back instantly? Are you using a popular email provider or the one from your ISP?

I'm really running out of options... :p

epmode said:
Oh hay, I get that too. Thought I was going crazy or something. I don't really want to lower my lighting settings to fix it, though.

Is there a fix in the works for this or has it been around since the original release?

there are 2 bugs in terms of graphics that i noticed.

1. Blockiness during cutscenes (or pixelated etc) - the blockiness cutscene bug is usually fixable by forcing AF thru your graphics card control panel

comparisonbi7.jpg

2. Bluring the whole scene after a cutscene/talking cutscene plays - the bluring bug is a new bug in the ee in which (even with depth of field turned off) you get a layer of depth of field on the whole screen after you see a cutscene, currently there is no work around (other than lower the lighting to light or something / or load the game again which itll come back after the another cutscene/talking scene).
http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17287.0

before:
thewitcher1mx2.jpg

after:
thewitcher2bi5.jpg

Baker

Banned
Man, I'm so out of the PC gaming loop, I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

The game runs pretty decent on my laptop (dual core 2.5, 4gigs ram, 8600m). I hadn't turned my desktop on in months, so I wanted to try it out on that.

I updated everything I could think of but the game runs like shit. The actual game plays somewhat better, but cutscenes run at like 2fps in both 1920 and 1680 rez. I don't think it was pulling in forced AA either like it would on the laptop. Speaking of, what's with the AA slider being disabled? PC specs: p4 3.4, 4gigs ram, 7800gtx

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
oops wrong thread

Um, just play it by wing. Don't read much into the game, and don't worry about making decisions. A lot of people have the awful mentality of wanting to see what every decision results in. Don't do that, just stick to a choice and go with it. Remember to use alchemy to make some useful potions for boss fights. Oh, and as with every RPGish game, don't be a pack rat. Learn to sell or deposit things you don't absolutely need, or that are not as good as other things you have.

The Witcher is the anti-quick save/quick load game. You don't often see the repurcussions for critical decisions that you make for a lengthy amount of time.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
DubloSeven said:
Does anyone here know how to take screenshots? Do I need Fraps?
Although you can take screenshots from print screen key, I wouldnt recommend that cause not only you would be able to take only one screenshots at a time, but will also have to paste it in paint everytime.
Using fraps is recommended. Free version will probably allow screenshots to be taken only in bmp, but you can always convert them to jpg by paint.

TheExodu5

Banned
Baker said:
Man, I'm so out of the PC gaming loop, I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

The game runs pretty decent on my laptop (dual core 2.5, 4gigs ram, 8600m). I hadn't turned my desktop on in months, so I wanted to try it out on that.

I updated everything I could think of but the game runs like shit. The actual game plays somewhat better, but cutscenes run at like 2fps in both 1920 and 1680 rez. I don't think it was pulling in forced AA either like it would on the laptop. Speaking of, what's with the AA slider being disabled? PC specs: p4 3.4, 4gigs ram, 7800gtx

While the 8600 is not a very powerful video card, you should be getting a better framerate than that. It is possible your laptop's video drivers are very poor, which might result in bad performance in some games.

What settings are you running at? If your card is only 128MB, make sure you have textures down to medium. Play with the texture setting and see if you see a noticeable difference. There's a possibility your video card is running out of memory. If you see no difference in performance, then feel free to keep textures on high. Other than that, turn shadows down, and definitely keep Depth of Field off. Even 1680 is a high resolution for an 8600 to pull off. Make sure you're not forcing on VSync through the driver control panel, because while it does fix tearing, it can really bottleneck performance at times.

Your PC will probably have better luck running this. It's not a certainty though, because your CPU is slower, but your video card is definitely faster.

Zzoram

Just letting you know, reducing Lighting to Medium actually fixed the cutscene blockiness for me, I didn't have to force AF from my drivers. If I was getting the DoF bug (which I can't recall) I don't have that anymore either.

Dropping the Lighting one notch is really easy so that's why I chose it. It doesn't look dramatically different anyhow.

Baker

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
While the 8600 is not a very powerful video card, you should be getting a better framerate than that. It is possible your laptop's video drivers are very poor, which might result in bad performance in some games.

Your PC will probably have better luck running this. It's not a certainty though, because your CPU is slower, but your video card is definitely faster.

Sorry, I didn't type that out very well. I'm running into all those problems on my desktop, not the laptop. Unless the game was specifically made for dual cores, I really can't figure out the problem.

All my drivers on both systems are up-to-date as of yesterday.

Zzoram

Baker said:
Sorry, I didn't type that out very well. I'm running into all those problems on my desktop, not the laptop. Unless the game was specifically made for dual cores, I really can't figure out the problem.

All my drivers on both systems are up-to-date as of yesterday.

The AA slider isn't disabled for me. It just caps at 2xAA. I have no idea why your cutscenes are suffering slowdown, try turning Lighting down to Medium.

Zeliard

Why turn lighting to medium? Simply forcing AF through the control panel fixed the blocky cutscene issue in the original Witcher, without having to downgrade any setting. I haven't played EE, but I'd imagine it's the same thing.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Why turn lighting to medium? Simply forcing AF through the control panel fixed the blocky cutscene issue in the original Witcher, without having to downgrade any setting. I haven't played EE, but I'd imagine it's the same thing.

I'll try it I guess, but I don't want to have to undo the AF thing every time I play another game. I could create a custom Witcher profile, I suppose, but call me lazy :lol

Has anyone had luck forcing vsync? I don't like the spikes up to 150fps.

Baker

Banned
Zzoram said:
The AA slider isn't disabled for me. It just caps at 2xAA. I have no idea why your cutscenes are suffering slowdown, try turning Lighting down to Medium.

Yeah, it's disabled on both my laptop (8600m) and desktop (7800gtx). It makes no sense since the only time I've heard of that issue was from UE3 + DX10.

As for the desktop, I was getting the piss poor cutscene framerate with lighting and shadows at medium PLUS running in a gross 1680 rez. Guess I can try removing the graphics driver and reinstalling.

Zzoram said:
I'll try it I guess, but I don't want to have to undo the AF thing every time I play another game. I could create a custom Witcher profile, I suppose, but call me lazy :lol

My laptop wouldn't let me create a custom profile for the EE. I'd set it up, but when I closed the Nvidia Control Panel, it would disappear. On the desktop, when I tried to set it up (using launcher.exe as the executable), the Control Panel would keep changing it to the WoW launcher.

Zzoram

Baker said:
Yeah, it's disabled on both my laptop (8600m) and desktop (7800gtx). It makes no sense since the only time I've heard of that issue was from UE3 + DX10.

As for the desktop, I was getting the piss poor cutscene framerate with lighting and shadows at medium PLUS running in a gross 1680 rez. Guess I can try removing the graphics driver and reinstalling.

Your GPU may simply not be powerful enough. I'm using an HD4870 at 1680x1050 2xAA maxed (but med lighting) and get around 60fps average, but insane spikes up that cause screen tearing.

The GPU reviews say the 8800GT can only do 34fps @ 1680x1050 2xAA for The Witcher.

Yeah I'm having a few framerate problems too on my laptop with a ATI 2600 RADEON running the 8.9 Catalysts. The game runs rock-solid 90% of the time, except for when there's smoke/particle effects going on. Then it drops to the single digits. A good example is at the beginning where the chick keeps the monsters at bay with some lightening spell so you can continue the tutorial.

I think it runs better because they downgraded the graphics. Well, thats one reason. Anyone else think the overall PQ doesn't match the original?

In the original however, I would switch between lighting and sometimes when I click "high" it becomes more amber, and sometimes "medium" becomes amber. I havent tried with this yet but does "high" actually make the lighting better, or just different?

Zzoram

Lion Heart said:
I think it runs better because they downgraded the graphics. Well, thats one reason. Anyone else think the overall PQ doesn't match the original?

In the original however, I would switch between lighting and sometimes when I click "high" it becomes more amber, and sometimes "medium" becomes amber. I havent tried with this yet but does "high" actually make the lighting better, or just different?

The graphics haven't been downgraded, not from what I've noticed. In fact, Geralt's clothing looks better than it used to, I'm fairly certain.

You may be noticing the blur/blocky bug in cutscenes, which is fixed by forcing AF in the driver and/or turning Lighting down to Medium.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I have an important question regarding the beginning battle between you and the sorcerer: Does your companion still yell "You can do it! I believe in you!" every five seconds?

Leonsito

Zzoram said:
The graphics haven't been downgraded, not from what I've noticed. In fact, Geralt's clothing looks better than it used to, I'm fairly certain.

You may be noticing the blur/blocky bug in cutscenes, which is fixed by forcing AF in the driver and/or turning Lighting down to Medium.

There is no need to turn lightning down, forcing AF in the Nvidia control panel is enough, at least for me.

bathala

Banned
anyone else having Save Crash?

after a while the game will crash during save in progress

because of this bullshit I lose couple of completed missions.

Note to self: turn autosave on even if slows down the loading

Top Bottom