• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Darklord

Banned
Is the patch you download the US one without the blood? It doesn't say what it is. I don't want to patch the wrong thing and get an edited version or whatever.

senahorse

There is only one patch, the only different stuff is the language packs. I patched an aussie version of the game with it and have plenty of blood.

BeeDog

AstroLad said:
Also the game runs amazingly well. Looks like they improved performance dramatically. Was never a super-demanding game, but it's nice to see DoF working well now and everything just seems to be so much smoother.

Indeed. Also, the written dialogue itself in the new adventure pack is well-written, the dialogue is still pretty hammy. :D

Crow

My ISP (Internode) has a game files mirror which doesn't go towards allocated usage. Since I'm Australian i only get a limited amount of downloads a month (currently 25Gb). Unfortunately, Internode has put a botched version of the patch up on their site and I get a CRC error on installation. I guess I have to wait until Monday for them to get back to me about it.

Ilparazzo

Sigh, amazon has failed me, I preordered the EE, and they are still out of stock ever since the game came out, I don't get it.

McHuj

Can I even attempt to play this game?

My PC is a Athlon64 3000, 2 GB ram, and Geforce 6800. I know that's barely above min spec, but has any tried it at similar specs and is it playable?

GHG

Gold Member
Hunter D said:
Anyone try running this on a nvidia 8600?

I'm using a 8600GTS and its perfectly fine on max settings at 1024 x 720 with 2xAA and 8xAF. Looks great as well.

Everything is running a lot better after the patch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Where is the manual and printed content in the Steam version? Usually right-click gives you the option but I don't see it here.

Hunter D

GHG said:
I'm using a 8600GTS and its perfectly fine on max settings at 1024 x 720 with 2xAA and 8xAF. Looks great as well.

Everything is running a lot better after the patch.
Thanks. I might pick this up.

has anyone found any workarounds other than the one im using for the weird "pixelizations during cutscenes"

comparisonbi7.jpg

this isnt my pic but it illustrates what i mean (look on the left at her nose tip and upper lip, see those"bars" running thru the image?

I used to get it all the time back on my old pc at 1024x768 (7800gtx) now im running at 1440x900 (280gtx) and itll still show up unless I:

1. Force AA and AF in nvidia control panel
2. Set lighting to medium

with that I cant see it anymore but I didnt play the witcher much past patch 1.1 because I learned about the EE version and decided to wait (I had only just hit act 3 in the original). So im not sure if there was a fanfix other than what ive done?

Variable

For those of you who have installed the game via steam. Where can I find the soundtrack and other goodies promised to me?

dionysus

Yaldog
God, I have forgotten how much I love this type of game. I guess Eastern European devs are the only place to find this stuff anymore, and more power to them! Thank god someone appreciates a tad bit of complexity and moral ambiguity in their games. So glad I decided to get back into PC gaming.

I am also really enjoying the over-the-shoulder view. I think in a RPG without a party this encourages one to identify closely with the protagonist, whereas isometric encourages one to feel more like a puppeteer than the actual protagonist.

Slacker

Finally installing now. Random tech issue in case anyone else encounters it: I was getting an error saying that the English language pack hadn't been downloaded, even though it was indeed downloaded and was in the same folder as the upgrade file. I tried it a few times a few different ways before I thought to try one thing differently. I had been double-clicking the installer from Opera's "Transfers" section in the browser. For some reason that apparently made the installer think it was in a different location, and it couldn't find the language file there. I double clicked it from the actual folder where it resided and it seems to be working. Time to rock!

Modifying files... this may take two hours?!? >___<

Vaporak

McHuj said:
Can I even attempt to play this game?

My PC is a Athlon64 3000, 2 GB ram, and Geforce 6800. I know that's barely above min spec, but has any tried it at similar specs and is it playable?

I played through the entire game on my PC that's the same spec's except less ram. Could I get it to run well, no, but most certainly playable.

Fredescu

Crow said:
Internode has put a botched version of the patch up on their site and I get a CRC error on installation.
I had the same problem with the Internode version. Unfortunately they're not my ISP so the download counted towards my cap. I think I'll wait until they fix their copy rather than waiting a day for the official one to download.

Slacker said:
Finally installing now. Random tech issue in case anyone else encounters it: I was getting an error saying that the English language pack hadn't been downloaded, even though it was indeed downloaded and was in the same folder as the upgrade file. I tried it a few times a few different ways before I thought to try one thing differently. I had been double-clicking the installer from Opera's "Transfers" section in the browser. For some reason that apparently made the installer think it was in a different location, and it couldn't find the language file there. I double clicked it from the actual folder where it resided and it seems to be working. Time to rock!

Modifying files... this may take two hours?!? >___<
Yeah, it does take a while. Just leave it on and forget about it.

It's totally worth it though ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So weird--I blitzed through the first chapter and I'm at the end having neither had to
protect Vesna
nor
meet that girl at the mill
. D'oh precious experience I want you.

Hunter D said:
Anyone try this with an xbox controller?

not sure how it would work you still use the mouse cursor to move over an enemy to attack, I suppose you could try and bind that to the right joystick and movement to the left one?

calder

Awesome game, I'm 17 hours in and am doing almost every quest I can find. Some quirky bugs now and then (at least 2 or 3 times I've met a character for the first time and they've begun a conversation about other characters or plot elements that I've never heard of - and not amnesia "i'm sorry I don't remember you" plot shit but just game dialogue fucking up) and it's crashed a few times when entering buildings.

At first I was a bit disappointed in the graphics, it defaulted everything to medium and still had some noticeable tearing. I had assumed the game scanned my system and decided on medium which surprised me as my rig is not bad, but when I turned everything to high performance was almost identical just with a greatly improved look to everything. Still has more tearing than I'd like (and no vsync, wtf) but it's very playable and some of the environments look just fantastic. Excellent blend of mostly-open gameworld and high concentration of things to do and kill. The Swamp seems much larger than it is but when you're just about getting sick of it you realize you can travel across it very fast if you want to just hurry along.

I like the stories and the characters have a bit more, er, character than most RPGs despite not quite rising above genre cliches. Listening to Geralt bitch passionately about being screwed over on his monster bounty because he's not human - and his general level of fiscal self interest that comes out in most of his quest NPC conversations - is great. Voice acting is pretty solid too.

Duke Togo

I'm about 4 hours in and I'm really, really enjoying this game. I've had it crash a couple of times when leaving/entering buildings, but other than that is is pretty solid. I do have a strange bug though..it seems that all the light sources from lanterns are visible through walls and objects. Also, if I position the camera at certain angles, I can see a large yellow light source that changes how everything looks. I don't really know how to describe it better than that. Has anybody else had that happen?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
calder said:
Still has more tearing than I'd like (and no vsync, wtf) but it's very playable and some of the environments look just fantastic.
Open the Nvidia or ATI Control Panel (depending on your card) and enable v-sync for the game there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Duke Togo said:
I'm about 4 hours in and I'm really, really enjoying this game. I've had it crash a couple of times when leaving/entering buildings, but other than that is is pretty solid. I do have a strange bug though..it seems that all the light sources from lanterns are visible through walls and objects. Also, if I position the camera at certain angles, I can see a large yellow light source that changes how everything looks. I don't really know how to describe it better than that. Has anybody else had that happen?

Yep I have the same lighting thing.

Zzoram

BeeDog said:
Indeed. Also, the written dialogue itself in the new adventure pack is well-written, the dialogue is still pretty hammy. :D

It's an Eastern European game, that's part of why we love them :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Zzoram said:
I also get the weird cutscene pixelation at 1680x1050 with all in-game sliders maxed and an HD4870

To fix this:

1) Go into your video card driver control panel

2) Force Anisotropic Filtering (to whatever value you see fit, I use 8x)

3) Not sure if this is necessary, but, set Anisotropic Filtering to 1x in game.

Voila!

Duke Togo said:

I believe this is a problem that occurs with SLI configurations, although I'm not completely sure.

Variable said:
For those of you who have installed the game via steam. Where can I find the soundtrack and other goodies promised to me?

Go to your game directory for The Witcher. Everything should be in there.

Hey I'm stuck on a mission where I'm waiting for Dandelion to show up in a raspberry patch in the evening but he never shows up even though I wait there all day. Anybody experience this?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ZombieSupaStar said:
you have to disable sli for the lights to not go thru stuff.

Yeah, I have a laptop so that's why I'm stuck with SLI to get good performance. A single 7950gtx just doesn't cut it imo so I'll deal with the lights.

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
Yeah, I have a laptop so that's why I'm stuck with SLI to get good performance. A single 7950gtx just doesn't cut it imo so I'll deal with the lights.

7950GTX SLI is pretty epic. That may even be faster than the current 8700GT SLI solution that's at the top end of the Dell XPS 1730 (nvm there's an 8800GTX SLI now). What kind of performance do you yet? That must've been a really expensve laptop. Back when I got my GeForce 6800 laptop it was $2000.

Zzoram

Stoney Mason said:
Hey I'm stuck on a mission where I'm waiting for Dandelion to show up in a raspberry patch in the evening but he never shows up even though I wait there all day. Anybody experience this?

Not sure, but try saving and reloading. Sometimes that fixes bugs.

AstroLad said:

try this

set SLI mode to "Alternate Frame Rendering", to uncheck the 09 flag and to check the 03 flag. That fixes the problem of sun and lightnings visible through walls.

Lion Heart said:
Question: Im running my LCD monitor at 60hz. Does it make any difference to go to 75hz? In what situations would I see a diff?

well to me the higher the hz the easier to read it was on a crt (like going from 75 to 60 looks different harsher somehow) but in games that use vsync itll cap your max fps at your monitor hz (but witcher doesnt use vysnc) so I dont think it do anything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for the tip Zombie.

Zzoram said:
7950GTX SLI is pretty epic. That may even be faster than the current 8700GT SLI solution that's at the top end of the Dell XPS 1730 (nvm there's an 8800GTX SLI now). What kind of performance do you yet? That must've been a really expensve laptop. Back when I got my GeForce 6800 laptop it was $2000.

Yeah, this is a Sager rig that has absolutely amazing performance but has killed me with a few crashes in the past six months. Also have a 6700 in here and 4 gigs of RAM (not that the four gigs has done me that much good, but hey). Can run pretty much everything; haven't tried Crysis since I used EA's terrible DL service, but 3DMark06 is around 10k.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Question: Im running my LCD monitor at 60hz. Does it make any difference to go to 75hz? In what situations would I see a diff?

Your LCD probably doesn't support 75Hz. If it does though, there's not much reason not to run at a higher refresh rate (unless you're using VSync without Triple Buffering).

Baker

Banned
Hey,

I read through the past few pages and I'm a bit confused. I just got back with the EE (retail version).

What all do I need besides the blood patch? Do I need to mess with all those language packs, or was that only for upgraders?

What ended up being the deal with 1680x1050 resolution? That's what my laptop is sporting, so will the cutscenes be glitchy unless I play in a lower rez?

Althane

I'm really on the fence about getting this.... it's through Steam, right?

How high is the replayability factor in this game? Yes/no/maybe?

*sighs*

I WANT it, but I'm not gona get it if I'm just gonna play it once...

Victrix

*beard*
There are multiple mutually exclusive decisions you need to make throughout the course of the game, so its replayable in that respect. And I suppose you could develop your character a different way, or play on a higher difficulty.

You're still going to go through the same basic story arc, and the same major areas, so it's not a free roaming rpg, but if that doesn't bother you, go for it - the game is quite large in any case, you can easily spend many hours on just your first run.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ZombieSupaStar said:
try this

set SLI mode to "Alternate Frame Rendering", to uncheck the 09 flag and to check the 03 flag. That fixes the problem of sun and lightnings visible through walls.

So it lets me do Force AFR 1 and Force AFR2 not sure what to do from there.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Althane said:
I'm really on the fence about getting this.... it's through Steam, right?

How high is the replayability factor in this game? Yes/no/maybe?

*sighs*

I WANT it, but I'm not gona get it if I'm just gonna play it once...

There is some replay value, multiple story paths and whatnot, but it's like a 40+ hour long game. Do you really need multiple playthroughs of something that big?

Top Bottom