• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
vocab said:
So is there any way to make this game run better? The opening part has frame rate issues that is all over the place. High 90's to 40's. I was playing Enhanced 1.4, and the performance was really distracting. I'm gonna wait for a steam sale to get back into it, but is there any tweaks or certain configs I am missing? Also I'm hearing this game uses only a single core and 2 gigs of ram? Is that true?

there was some thread on GAF on capping the perfomane. Search for it, I don't remember the title.

NarcissisticJay said:
How do I fix the stupid lights and sun coming through the walls and ground, it's so annoying..

Google says set AFR2 for SLI or disable SLI all together .. Tried both, can't get it fixed..

Any help?

Quoting for new page.. any idea on a remedy?

Wallach

I just reinstalled this to play through EE again.

It's much more tolerable performance-wise on modern hardware, at least. Glad to have D3Doverrider or I'd punch this game in the face, I forgot how bad the tearing is without it.

Is there a save import feature for the sequel? Wondering if I should gear up Geralt's choices and whatnot this time around for that purpose.

Wallach said:
Is there a save import feature for the sequel? Wondering if I should gear up Geralt's choices and whatnot this time around for that purpose.
Yes there is. Not quite sure how extensive, but so far they've mentioned:
people treat you a bit different depending on your previous choices
start of the game is different depending on who you allied with
swords will carry over

soldat7

So I bought this on a Steam sale last year and am curious to see if it will run (decently) on my new laptop:

Latitude E6510 Notebook
Intel Core i7-740QM Quad Core 1.73GHz 6MB for Latitude
4.0GB, DDR3-1333 SDRAM, 2 DIMM for Latitude
512MB NVIDIA NVS 3100M for Quad Core for Latitude E6510
15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080)

I'm only two hours in, and perhaps my opinion will change the more I play, but I don't mind The Witcher's combat system. I like the click-y, interactive combat system even if it merely is mouse clicks at the right time for critical strikes or choosing the appropriate sword stance given the enemies you're facing.

Wallach

jaundicejuice said:
I'm only two hours in, and perhaps my opinion will change the more I play, but I don't mind The Witcher's combat system. I like the click-y, interactive combat system even if it merely is mouse clicks at the right time for critical strikes or choosing the appropriate sword stance given the enemies you're facing.

It's not bad, especially after it opens up a bunch with more talents spent. My only annoyances with it are that it seems a little finicky sometimes registering a continued chain, and the finishing move animations don't prevent other things from continuing to hurt you even though you can't cancel them. Well, that and I still think he looks pretty stupid in some of his stances (strong stance in particular, waving his sword over his head). It's neat otherwise, you can even switch stances mid-chain.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
jaundicejuice said:

Witcher 1's combat system never really gelled for me. I wish player-initiated dodging had factored in more than the random stuff the game did based on your dexterity level. The Witcher 2 combat looks like it will be more engaging, but we really haven't seen anything besides video. Loved the dialogue in Witcher 1 though, particularly as read by the deadpan VA who voices Geralt. There are some lines in the game that are very funny when read in that voice - (SPOILER FOR ENDGAME LOLS):
I'm a witcher, not a hit....ok 10000
. :lol I hope he's as darkly funny in the second game as he was in the first.

Minsc

Gold Member
vocab said:
So is there any way to make this game run better? The opening part has frame rate issues that is all over the place. High 90's to 40's. I was playing Enhanced 1.4, and the performance was really distracting. I'm gonna wait for a steam sale to get back into it, but is there any tweaks or certain configs I am missing? Also I'm hearing this game uses only a single core and 2 gigs of ram? Is that true?

Use V-sync to limit to 60 for starters. That's normal though imo, the parts of the opening with that spider creature with those effects drop the framerate down quite a bit. If you get 45+ with D3DOverrider, you should be fine, I don't notice the difference in framerate until it hits under 45, still feels smooth 45 or 60. Most of the game you should have a locked 60 with D3DOverrider past the intro.

Jintor

luxarific said:
Witcher 1's combat system never really gelled for me. I wish player-initiated dodging had factored in more than the random stuff the game did based on your dexterity level. The Witcher 2 combat looks like it will be more engaging, but we really haven't seen anything besides video. Loved the dialogue in Witcher 1 though, particularly as read by the deadpan VA who voices Geralt. There are some lines in the game that are very funny when read in that voice - (SPOILER FOR ENDGAME LOLS):
I'm a witcher, not a hit....ok 10000
. :lol I hope he's as darkly funny in the second game as he was in the first.

Combat simply isn't fun. It's mildly engaging at least, but the only sense of tactics is 'switch from silver to steel, switch from fast to group, occasionally stun someone for an insta-kill'

I dunno. I finally finished it tonight, so I feel that it was at least a game worth finishing, but there's something oddly compelling about it even though I didn't find myself really enjoying much of the actual gameplay. I think it's the sensation of continually finding out new stuff about the world. Not to mention I like how darkly humourous Geralt is.

Continually sheathing your sword when you go up to talk to people is really stupid though, Geralt.

And fighting Azar was a bitch. The bastard kept infinite stun-locking me because I didn't bother drinking the "Can't ever get stunned" potion. Damnit. His body also ragdolled into water so I couldn't loot it >>

Well. I guess I should be somewhat ashamed that I finished the game for the first time just now. But no matter, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. The ending was great and I am sure I missed out on a few things here and there closer to the end.

Now I am wondering which rpg I should get cracking on next. Maybe finish Planescape
for the first time ever as well. Kind of like with The Witcher, I started the game a couple of times but didn't get around to finishing it
. Maybe get BG I/II from GoG and start up a full playthrough or maybe play Dragon Age a 2nd time and see if I like it any better now.

Sorry, I tried searching for the stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread thread to ask this question and I apologize for bumping and old thread, but I've been playing the Witcher for a week or so after downloading the enhanced edition off of steam. I thought I read that it included stuff like a game guide and extras and such. Again, I apologize. This is like the first time I've used steam. How do you access that stuff? There's a DLC link, but it just says there's no DLC for this game. God I feel like this is a stupid question.

Emitan

GillianSeed79 said:
Sorry, I tried searching for the stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread thread to ask this question and I apologize for bumping and old thread, but I've been playing the Witcher for a week or so after downloading the enhanced edition off of steam. I thought I read that it included stuff like a game guide and extras and such. Again, I apologize. This is like the first time I've used steam. How do you access that stuff? There's a DLC link, but it just says there's no DLC for this game. God I feel like this is a stupid question.
I think that's only if you buy it in stores. And the DLC button for this game basically does nothing. Because the Enhanced Edition was free every copy was upgraded so the DLC option is worthless.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You'll find the manual.pdf, making of movies, soundtrack and the rest in the 'steam/steamapps/username/common/the witcher enhanced edition' folder.

Salaadin

GillianSeed79 said:

This is the path for the Steam version:

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition

In there, youll see:
- 2 jpegs called "World Map" and "World Map - Temeria" (World maps)
- PDF called "WitcherEE Guide US" (The game guide)
- Folder called Soundtracks (music from the game and a separate "Inspired by" soundtrack)
- Folder called "Making of Movies"

Salaadin said:
This is the path for the Steam version:

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition

In there, youll see:
- 2 jpegs called "World Map" and "World Map - Temeria" (World maps)
- PDF called "WitcherEE Guide US" (The game guide)
- Folder called Soundtracks (music from the game and a separate "Inspired by" soundtrack)
- Folder called "Making of Movies"

Thank you very much. Sorry, I'm just delving into PC gaming. I grew up with Apple II's, so some of this stuff is kind of confusing.

Salaadin

Yeah it can be confusing at first. Steam installs all of your game info (not including saves) in the above steamapps folder. As you download more games, youll get more folders in there for each game.

In case you need to know this at some point, the witcher save files are located in C:\Users\*profile name here*\Documents\The Witcher\saves

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well, it is done. Twice I got to Act 2 only to lose my save. In my recent playthrough I lost 4~ hours in Act 3 but I finally beat it. Loved the game and I can't quite explain why. I liked the quests and I love Geralt as a character. Good ending as well.

Yasae

Banned
Ok, just got past the first mission in chapter 2.

I take back almost everything negative I said about this game. It's great!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Meditate by a campfire or at an inn. You can also create potions while leveling/meditating as well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
terrdactycalsrock said:
i've tried that but whenever my charcter sheet comes up i'll try to add one of the talents to my strength or whatever and it doesnt do anything
You don't level up the strength/intelligence bubbles, you level the traits at the bottom. The list up top just shows you how many you've put into each tree.

Yasae

Banned
Lyphen said:
You don't level up the strength/intelligence bubbles, you level the traits at the bottom. The list up top just shows you how many you've put into each tree.
Not the most streamlined layout, however.

I know I'm late to the party and all but who seriously thought it would be a good idea to make consuming the Blizzard potion literally slow down time? Get knocked on your ass and it takes an eternity to stand back up.

Minsc

Gold Member
jaundicejuice said:
I know I'm late to the party and all but who seriously thought it would be a good idea to make consuming the Blizzard potion literally slow down time? Get knocked on your ass and it takes an eternity to stand back up.

I don't think I ever made that one, the drunken plot points are pretty awful though because they take forever to get places as you keep stumbling and can't run :lol

Lyphen said:

You do indeed level up the strength/intelligence/stamina bubbles, but you need silver and gold points for the higher levels of skills/stats. I think leaving the cursor over a bubble explains what it does, I remember reading all the descriptions before picking where to put the skill points.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Guess I just didn't explain it properly (but to my defense, it's difficult to explain without a screenshot). You level up the bronze/silver/gold traits, not the list (int, agi, str, ard, etc) on the top left. Or, I think it's on the top left.

Minsc said:
I don't think I ever made that one, the drunken plot points are pretty awful though because they take forever to get places as you keep stumbling and can't run :lol

Speed-wise, Blizzard is just as bad as being drunk, except you're moving normally. You're just trapped in slow motion until the potion wears off. The thing is, it's incredibly useful potion in battle, especially when you don't have any Swallow. You can dance circles around your enemies and hack them to bits before they know you've moved.

Yasae

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Speed-wise, Blizzard is just as bad as being drunk, except you're moving normally. You're just trapped in slow motion until the potion wears off. The thing is, it's incredibly useful potion in battle, especially when you don't have any Swallow. You can dance circles around your enemies and hack them to bits before they know you've moved.
True, it's very useful in combat. I hope they thought up a solution for Witcher 2. I like the original a great deal, but it's definitely rough around the edges.

jaundicejuice said:
Well it was pure slow motion originally. Right now it jumps between slow/fast in a very weird time dilation effect. It only lasts a couple of minutes as well so its not that bad.

But its one of those things in the game where it was probably a good idea on paper and maybe isn't really a terrible idea in general but it is frustrating. Kinda like all those colored spots that start appearing all over the place when Geralt's blood toxicity level is too high.

It just sucks when you're done fighting and running from point A to B in slow motion. Talking about the effect of the Blizzard potion as much as I am makes it seem as though it really bothers me, which it doesn't. It's just kind of silly, reminded me of an old Bugz Bunny cartoon. Anyways...

Over ten hours in to the game and I've been trodding around Vizima for a bit now. Experienced a few of those unknown ramifications/unintended consequences of decisions made a few hours earlier, and I've got to say that is a really cool aspect of the game. I like the fact that many of the decisions in general that you have to make throughout the game can be ambiguous. That's a nice change from the usual binary choices of having an angelic halo or being mustache twistingly evil that most games feature.

teiresias

Anyone want to help me out, I think I may have broken the quest "Berengar's Secret" somehow in Act II. Spoilers below:

I talked to Coleman, but I'm not sure if I actually talked to him about Berengar at any point. However, after I ended up at Kalkstein and talked to him about the tower, I'm certain the Berengar's Secret entry said I needed to talk to Vaska in the swamp. In the course of my trying to do some other stuff I talked to someone again, not sure who, and now the quest entry says I need to talk to Coleman about Berengar - only problem is he's dead since I gave the crates to the Squirrels in the first chapter. Now I'm not sure what to do.

I have to say, the whole quest structure in this chapter and the way everything interlocks is extremely confusing and seems highly prone to bugs concerning the dialog trees, I'm not really sure I'm enjoying this chapter very much.

teiresias said:
Anyone want to help me out, I think I may have broken the quest "Berengar's Secret" somehow in Act II. Spoilers below:
Berengar's Secret is a pretty long quest and I think even if you're at a dead end now you'll still pick up the trail again in later acts.

_Bro

Banned
So, master's of PC gaming, help me improve this game's performance but millions. What are some Steam launch options I can do? What are some rad mods that will reduce character models to goofy sticks with name tags?

My googling skills of "The Witcher Improve Performance" are not strong enough to battle this wizardry known as .ini, etc.

shuyin_

Banned
Bought The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut. I'm also halfway through The Last Wish... so pumped to play as the butcher of Blaviken.

Minsc

Gold Member
_Bro said:
So, master's of PC gaming, help me improve this game's performance but millions. What are some Steam launch options I can do? What are some rad mods that will reduce character models to goofy sticks with name tags?

My googling skills of "The Witcher Improve Performance" are not strong enough to battle this wizardry known as .ini, etc.

Lower the graphics settings or you generally need a 3Ghz CPU & ATI 4870+ (probably more like a 5850+) / GTX 260+ to max the graphics - and even then you'll still hit the 30s here and there.

If you don't have a higher end gaming machine, well you'll just suffer, it wasn't ever really optimized too well. I've never seen mention of any tricks to improve performance, the best bet is probably just upgrading your PC! :)

So I finally got a PC (well, laptop) and was getting ready to play The Witcher, but the game won't let me start due to the specs of the laptop (integrated graphics card and so on). I can run TF2, Amnesia and other stuff at full resolution, but Witcher wont even boot.

Is there a way to force the game to boot, or in any way get me into some menu's to see if the game really is that hardware demanding?

fresquito

I've got the game on Steam and have started playing (just two hours). I'm a little disappointed at the performance IQ in general. The game is pretty at times, but aliasing is strong in this one. Graphically speaking, the other disturbing aspect is the repetition of NPCs. I can understand random NPCs sharing heads and bodies, etc, but talking to the bartman, then to the guy holding fist fights and realising they both have the same model... then go out and fight a bandit where he's the leader... It somehow gives me RE4 vibes :lol

Combat is not great, but works well enough at this point. Story seems consistent and dialogues are not boring, although you can see clichés right and left. However, the worst thing is that it's not that true to the books (at least to the first two), where the Witcher doesn't need to use violence to make bandits realise they should stopd doing their deeds.

Well, random thoughts apart, I'm really glad I bought it. It looks like it will be a compelling experience.

Minsc

Gold Member
fresquito said:
I've got the game on Steam and have started playing (just two hours). I'm a little disappointed at the performance IQ in general. The game is pretty at times, but aliasing is strong in this one. Graphically speaking, the other disturbing aspect is the repetition of NPCs. I can understand random NPCs sharing heads and bodies, etc, but talking to the bartman, then to the guy holding fist fights and realising they both have the same model... then go out and fight a bandit where he's the leader... It somehow gives me RE4 vibes :lol

Combat is not great, but works well enough at this point. Story seems consistent and dialogues are not boring, although you can see clichés right and left. However, the worst thing is that it's not that true to the books (at least to the first two), where the Witcher doesn't need to use violence to make bandits realise they should stopd doing their deeds.

Well, random thoughts apart, I'm really glad I bought it. It looks like it will be a compelling experience.

Aliasing? Looks fine/normal to me, and that's without forcing AA which would eliminate the problem entirely.

Yea, the duped characters are kinda cheap feeling, but the tradeoff of getting a semi-populated feeling in the city is worth it, i think.

As you level up your skills, you can add additional attacks to the stances to chain in combat so it looks a little more interesting. It works well enough is the best way to describe it. It's nothing special, but it over quick enough that it didn't drag the game down for me at all. Using the stun and fire spells were fun at times, till it got to be faster to just 2-3 hits and kill things. Even at its worst, generally most enemies can be killed with 2 (or less) completed chains of the proper stance.

fresquito

Erms, if anything, those shots prove my point. Look at the boat for istance. Anyway, I don't care very much. I'm not playing this because the graphics.

Minsc

Gold Member
fresquito said:
Erms, if anything, those shots prove my point. Look at the boat for istance. Anyway, I don't care very much. I'm not playing this because the graphics.

I don't know, that's basically the only aliasing that stands out in all 5 of those shots. To say the aliasing is strong is contradictory to what I felt playing it. There are some objects that seem to fare a tad worse, but nothing worse than average (in a game with AA off).

Metro 2033 with it's built-in edge AA looked no better imo. Maybe you're just more sensitive to it than others? I wouldn't say it is bad at all myself, running it at 1920x1080. Make sure you're not running 1920x1200 or anything other than 16:9 for that matter, there's an issue with 16:10 resolutions.

fresquito

I don't really want to turn this into a discussion, but there's far more aliasing in those pics than the boat's. Anyway, I'm having lots of fun. The game plays well, although seeing some cutscenes with enemies waiting for you to stop talking is quite funny.

A real open world would be welcomed too. I guess we'll have to wait for The Witcher 2 for that.

REV 09

downloaded this recently from the Steam sale, and i played roughly an hour of it last night. I do like it, but there are some issues. The voice acting and scripted events are basically awful. The combat is ok, but something about the game is compelling. So far i would put it below Oblivion and Dragon Age, but i still like it. It certainly isn't bad overall.

Wallach

I found that the in-game AA setting was far worse than driver-forced AA for The Witcher. I agree that those shots actually contain a significant amount of aliasing for what I assume is set to 4x or higher MSAA. I noticed it right away when using the in-game AA setting.

Top Bottom