• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The horizontal banding is such a deal breaker for me! I've been trying to get back into this game before TW2 is released but everytime I see a cut scene I get slightly more miffed. I wish there was a way to fix it once and for all.

Minsc

Gold Member
loganclaws said:
The horizontal banding is such a deal breaker for me! I've been trying to get back into this game before TW2 is released but everytime I see a cut scene I get slightly more miffed. I wish there was a way to fix it once and for all.

Another guess, you're running a 16:10 resolution? It's an engine problem. Use a 16:9 resolution. Fixes it instantly.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Minsc said:
Another guess, you're running a 16:10 resolution? It's an engine problem. Use a 16:9 resolution. Fixes it instantly.

Yeh I did some research just now, the old trick of enabling AF through control panel no longer works. Apparently I have to use 16:9 resolution and set the monitor to keep the same aspect ratio. That should theoretically get rid of it. Will try when I get home.

I have two questions for my bro peeps:

Is it possible to win Triss' affection again after I returned the boy to Shani?
Is it possible to get Segfried's help in fighting Salamanders (under Declan's orders) after aiding Yaevin to escape the Vivaldi bank?

:( I know, I made some choices I sort of regretted. Just want to know if there's recourse

RustyNails said:
I have two questions for my bro peeps:

Is it possible to win Triss' affection again after I returned the boy to Shani?
No. She'll still be your ally, but she'll be pretty pissed the rest of the time.
Is it possible to get Segfried's help in fighting Salamanders (under Declan's orders) after aiding Yaevin to escape the Vivaldi bank?
No. After that point I believe you're now on the Order's shit list and your only options will be salamanders or neutral.

Jay Shadow said:
No. She'll still be your ally, but she'll be pretty pissed the rest of the time.
No. After that point I believe you're now on the Order's shit list and your only options will be salamanders or neutral.
nooooooooooooooooooo! Gah. I have no one to blame myself though, lol.
As a follow up question, since the Order hates my guts now, instead of being neutral can I side with the squirrels' resistance?

RustyNails said:
nooooooooooooooooooo! Gah. I have no one to blame myself though, lol.
As a follow up question, since the Order hates my guts now, instead of being neutral can I side with the squirrels' resistance?
Yeah, you'll have one more defining standoff moment where you can either decide to side with the Scoia'tael or remain neutral.

koji

poisonelf said:
As much as I love the game for its general feel it is a buggy mess. I just had to load 30 minutes back because I received a crucial item for a quest, but my inventory was full so the damn item got lost. These are '80s mistakes for fuck's sake.

The signet ring from the Reverend

Be very careful and save every 2 minutes with this game.

I've had exactly the same thing happen, searched around on the ground but the ring was nowhere to be seen. Had to reload a pretty old save to fix it. Heck I even tried to get the ring "the other way" that's mentioned on some forums, by talking to some hag, I dunno, it's been a while.

Was pretty pissed when that happened as well, I swear I didn't see the ring drop or spotted it somewhere on the ground.

Besides that I've had no big issues bugwise, strange and funny you mention that specific thing though...

Piecake

I am interested in giving TW another go since TW2 looks like a big improvement. I have a few questions if giving it another shot is worth it to me though. I tried playing the game a few months ago and got a bit past chapter 2 before I gave up out of boredom. I simply didnt like the combat, characters or story. I hear the story does get better and you have to make some interesting choices, which is good, and I can deal with the combat, especially since that is getting revamped in TW2.

What I am curious about is if the characters also get better/more interesting after chapter 2. I think this was the main reason why I simply was bored with the game because none of its characters captivated me or peaked my interest (I have a very difficult time getting immersed in a story driven game if I don't find its characters interesting). This is especially true with Geralt. I found his stoic baddassness and monotone voice rather dull and uninteresting. Does his character change later on, go through character development, etc or does he mostly remain the same?

raphier

Banned
Gonaria said:
I am interested in giving TW another go since TW2 looks like a big improvement. I have a few questions if giving it another shot is worth it to me though. I tried playing the game a few months ago and got a bit past chapter 2 before I gave up out of boredom. I simply didnt like the combat, characters or story. I hear the story does get better and you have to make some interesting choices, which is good, and I can deal with the combat, especially since that is getting revamped in TW2.

What I am curious about is if the characters also get better/more interesting after chapter 2. I think this was the main reason why I simply was bored with the game because none of its characters captivated me or peaked my interest (I have a very difficult time getting immersed in a story driven game if I don't find its characters interesting). This is especially true with Geralt. I found his stoic baddassness and monotone voice rather dull and uninteresting. Does his character change later on, go through character development, etc or does he mostly remain the same?
I got stuck on chapter 2 out of boredom six months ago and recently pushed myself through. I have to say that doing all subplots and openness of the investigation is what kills the interest. I just realized that you have to motivate yourself with a grain of Sherlock Holmes in order to pass chapter 2. And further gets different and more exciting.

I hope gerald stays like this. Thats what I love about the books.

Binabik15

Nice.

Act 1 boss fight:

Ard sign -> helhound is stunned -> one-hit-kill -> fight over. Same with the cocckatrice.

Hard doesn´t really feel hard so far.

Fistfighting is super easy, but fun.

Question about dice poker:

I haven´t played against
the dwarf
in Act 1, is that bad?

PS: So far I missed a two chances to poke someone SAD FACE. Are they collected somewhere? Can I get all by replaying the game? I can´t let my Geralt go into TW2 with less wenches than James Bond!

Binabik15 said:
PS: So far I missed a two chances to poke someone SAD FACE. Are they collected somewhere? Can I get all by replaying the game? I can´t let my Geralt go into TW2 with less wenches than James Bond!

I forget the exact name, but in your journal there is a character / creature section. Next to your conquests name you'll see a heart, click on in it and revel in your glory. Gotta Catch Em All!

Minsc

Gold Member
Binabik15 said:
Nice.

Act 1 boss fight:

Ard sign -> helhound is stunned -> one-hit-kill -> fight over. Same with the cocckatrice.

Hard doesn´t really feel hard so far.

Fistfighting is super easy, but fun.

It's not, but I dare you to say that without using magic on that fight! For some reason it didn't occur to me to do that, maybe you have to get lucky for it to connect? It's a good tactic though, but some people might not have leveled the skill adequately perhaps?

Question about dice poker:

I haven´t played against
the dwarf
in Act 1, is that bad?

The poker quest isn't terribly exciting, you get "better" players
upto the king
, but the game's always the same and didn't feel any harder to me.

It just goes in your journal / character list. If you click on their name they have a heart, but there's no new game + to carry over with, and it's impossible to "get everyone" as choices are tied to the path you choose later on.

Finally got into the swing of things last night with this game after too long of a hiatus (Currently on Act II). The combat and UI made it hard for me to enjoy but I'm getting used to it. Are there any good mods (visual and/or gameplay) that I should install?

Also, where should I put my points into for sword combat? There just seems to be too many skill trees for the same thing for swords.

That hellhound in Act I was brutal for me since I completely forgot about the Witcher's abilities with magic.

sam27368

Banned
Like a lot of people I'm playing this after seeing The Witcher 2, only just finished the first chapter and enjoying it so far.

I'm getting one issue though, playing it on Dual Sli with 570's (64x AA, runs like a dream).
There's this weird flare that occasionally occurs, any idea?

odd5ct7.jpg

Zzoram

Chapter 2 kinda sucks. Chapter 1 is good, but Chapter 2 kills the momentum. Supposedly things get better but I gave up early into Chapter 3.

I enjoyed the combat though.

poisonelf

Parts of searching in the city are boring in chapter 2, but overall it doesn't seem that bad to me. I do hope it picks up later on though.

What really surprised me is the difference in difficulty. Having easily slaughtered everything moving in chapter 1 I can't even take a walk out in the swamps. Those standing leeches things destroy almost half my life simply by dying and bursting, while the tower plant-vine things simply annihilate me, no chance given (drowners are easy though). Is this normal for my level or am I doing something wrong? Normal difficulty.

koji

sam27368 said:
Like a lot of people I'm playing this after seeing The Witcher 2, only just finished the first chapter and enjoying it so far.

I'm getting one issue though, playing it on Dual Sli with 570's (64x AA, runs like a dream).
There's this weird flare that occasionally occurs, any idea?

odd5ct7.jpg

Yeah that's an SLI issue, used to have tons of issues with the lighting in The Witcher when I still had my GTX295.

Some drivers didn't have it though. Try fooling about with nvidia inspector, google some compatibility modes.

Check this thread.

-> http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6605/nvinspwitcher.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
poisonelf said:
Parts of searching in the city are boring in chapter 2, but overall it doesn't seem that bad to me. I do hope it picks up later on though.

What really surprised me is the difference in difficulty. Having easily slaughtered everything moving in chapter 1 I can't even take a walk out in the swamps. Those standing leeches things destroy almost half my life simply by dying and bursting, while the tower plant-vine things simply annihilate me, no chance given (drowners are easy though). Is this normal for my level or am I doing something wrong? Normal difficulty.

Normal, the plant vine is a trophy kill so you come back in chapter 3 for it I think. The leeches do a decent amount of damage, but if you time your attacks properly you won't be stuck in a combo and you can avoid it, or use igni and run after killing. It picks up like crazy once you get to chapter 4, stick with it.

With liberal use of potions you should be able to get through all the combat encounters. The only real trouble I had is with the wyverns in the swamp in chapter 2. Even then its manageable if you try to kite them and kill them off one by one.

Zzoram said:
Chapter 2 kinda sucks. Chapter 1 is good, but Chapter 2 kills the momentum. Supposedly things get better but I gave up early into Chapter 3.

Glad to hear that...I thought I was the only one that thought this about Chapter 2 (still working through it). For me there was just too much going on at the same time in the beginning. It was just hard to keep track of everything going on (not to mention my hiatus with the game). Now that I'm knocking down quests, things seem a bit more manageable.
The combat is starting to be a bit more tolerable but it's still a chore to advance the narrative for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You guys didn't like chapter 2? I'm loving it so far, actually. The city is packed full of quests like the investigation stuff, I've already got several hours of entertainment out of just hanging out at the city and doing everything there is to do.

I'm on to the swamps now, though. Pretty icky place. 15 hours in and loving it.

Stupid moment of the day- I was browsing the web looking for a good walkthrough as I was stuck at a certain point. After about 30 min of browsing and wondering why no one has bothered to put up a walkthrough, I decide to open up my Witcher EE box and lo and behold, a game guide.. /facepalm

Red

So I'm trying to get through chapter 1. Nearly every NPC I talk to asks me if I know the reverend. Haven't seen him yet. Where is this guy? I've checked the chapel and his house, but he's never there. Sometimes the "Reverend" text string will appear floating in front of the chapel, but the Reverend is never there. What gives?

bengraven

I am such an idiot.

I got this game for 99c on ebay, like I've said earlier in the thread, by someone who couldn't sell it. The person only had the disc and with the EE coming out, no one wanted the original game. Because the seller didn't realize and market on the fact that you can download all the EE content, I got the game for a buck.

That was over a year ago.

Yesterday I bought it for $20 on steam. Mostly because I just wanted a Steam version. My disc was stolen a few months ago and I wanted to reinstall due to an old fan patch causing severe crashes and slowdown. I could play the game thanks to 1.3 or 1.4 which allowed you to play without the disc, but without the actual disc I couldn't reinstall. So I wanted an up to date version that ran on Steam.

I'm using the excuse that I wanted to support the devs this time, but I still feel stupid for paying that much for it when I already had a copy.

Minsc

Gold Member
Gully State said:
Stupid moment of the day- I was browsing the web looking for a good walkthrough as I was stuck at a certain point. After about 30 min of browsing and wondering why no one has bothered to put up a walkthrough, I decide to open up my Witcher EE box and lo and behold, a game guide.. /facepalm

The only thing you'll ever need is google and entering this in to the search box:

site:witcher.wikia.com "quest name"

Crunched said:
So I'm trying to get through chapter 1. Nearly every NPC I talk to asks me if I know the reverend. Haven't seen him yet. Where is this guy? I've checked the chapel and his house, but he's never there. Sometimes the "Reverend" text string will appear floating in front of the chapel, but the Reverend is never there. What gives?

He looks like this, can't miss him, I think you might just be hitting it at the wrong time of day or something, I vaguely remember seeing his name but not him from time to time too... you could try resting at the campfire just north of the church across the water from the castle gates for a few hours and returning to see if you find him.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I've been reading the first book (The Last Wish), and it is fantastic. I'm only on Chapter 2 of the game, but the book does an amazing job of keeping the pace going.

High recommended, and it's 8 bucks on Amazon.

Zzoram

jett said:
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF at the "Beast" boss. I'm getting creamed.

End of chater 1?

You must have not discovered Alchemy yet. Potions can mega buff you for that fight. Don't kill all his minions, they'll respawn. Kill all but 1 so he doesn't respawn the rest, then kill the Beast.

I forget which sword/style works best on him. I think Strong is best on Beast, Fast is best on minions.

raphier

Banned
Snuggler said:
You guys didn't like chapter 2? I'm loving it so far, actually. The city is packed full of quests like the investigation stuff, I've already got several hours of entertainment out of just hanging out at the city and doing everything there is to do.

I'm on to the swamps now, though. Pretty icky place. 15 hours in and loving it.
Yeah you have to approach with Sherlock Holmes interest and it's very well done quest.
There are about 18 ways to solve it with about 5 different assumptions. Everyone can be guilty in your eyes.
and for something else more classy
MAJOR SPOILER -> Cemetery is like your best friend in this case ;) and don't forget that your medallion senses magic!

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've always had my medallion sense monsters. I assumed sensing magic only reacts to the Places of Power? I've finished every side quest in chapter 4 so far, and now I'm going to continue with the primary quest. I've a feeling that Chapver 5 isn't far off, where I once again will do my "accept every sidequest, finish them and then continue with the primary quest" routine.

Ermac said:
I've been reading the first book (The Last Wish), and it is fantastic. I'm only on Chapter 2 of the game, but the book does an amazing job of keeping the pace going.

High recommended, and it's 8 bucks on Amazon.

The book is wholy fuck awesome.
The spanish version is even better (than the english one), really, really well translated and the covers and inisides are the best of any country, even the original ones. The characters designs in the covers are done by Alejandro Colucci are inspiring the new models for the Witcher 2.
Im in the last chapter of the book and the small stories are really great. They just feel like the game, Geralt is exactly the same in the book and the game. CDProject did a wonderfull job tranlating Sapkowski's works in game form.

JWong

Banned
Man, I want to replay this game, but I don't want to play it for challenge.

I need a god mode. I just want to collect the cards.

JWong said:
Man, I want to replay this game, but I don't want to play it for challenge.

I need a god mode. I just want to collect the cards.

Play in easy then. You can die, but its very difficult. The thing is, you dont have to waste so much time making potions and gathering materials for them becuase they are really not needed until the very end of the game.

jett

D-Member
Zzoram said:
End of chater 1?

You must have not discovered Alchemy yet. Potions can mega buff you for that fight. Don't kill all his minions, they'll respawn. Kill all but 1 so he doesn't respawn the rest, then kill the Beast.

I forget which sword/style works best on him. I think Strong is best on Beast, Fast is best on minions.

I managed to stun it and killed it with one blow, I'm now in chapter 2...I guess I'll look into potions and stuff. Food is completely useless for gaining health.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm enjoying the party at Shani's house. Best quest yet. I just hope I get a chance to smag it before it's all said and done, I didn't gather all those herbs for nothing. EDIT - Success~~~

Awesome game, I'm addicted.

koji

SalsaShark said:
GODDAMMIT WHY DIDNT I START THIS ON HARD

http://www.moddb.com/mods/full-combat-rebalance1/downloads/difficulty-potions

Was looking for something like that myself yesterday, haven't tried it though. There's stuff about a complete rebalance, not sure if I'm up for that.

There's also some stuff on the wiki on some .ini settings you can change but it's not just a simple normal to hard line, it's a couple you need to change.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty_settings_mod

raphier said:
Yeah you have to approach with Sherlock Holmes interest and it's very well done quest.
There are about 18 ways to solve it with about 5 different assumptions. Everyone can be guilty in your eyes.

Yeah it took a while before I figured out what the hell I was doing but once I figured it out a bit I started having fun.

I was playing it like a fetch-quest at first but you like really need to think/read/remember a bit.

Some brilliant writing there.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm still taken aback at the art in this game every time I play. The day/night cycle leads to some beautiful backdrops, and the environments can be stunners.

76CEE3A66C875C7761A66C6829E78F86EAED74C9

A030381E2A9601C5B84D964D53A8B949899A83CD

plus the circle of pain!
029AEFE3696080CBCB824BACEC09B772895A45EE

Binabik15

I went to the
north
ern end of the swamp yesterday and stumbled upon a group of wyverns that made quick work of me. I didn´t like that. I then spent maybe fifteen to thirty minutes luring single wyverns away, beating them dead, waiting for Swallow regen to heal me and tackle the next. I didn´t have the bestiary entry for them, so no alchemy stuff as a reward :/

I found a
corpse carrying the sword Harvall
, which seems rather nice. Of course I bought a
Meteorite sword
a short time before, which I hadn´t even used so far. Haven´t met a steel type enemy since.

Now I´m searching for someone to take to the party, but the bloody idiots seem to be walking around and I don´t want to walk back to a campfire to mediate. After I hit that, I´m proceeding to chapter three.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jett said:
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF at the "Beast" boss. I'm getting creamed.

there's a youtube walkthrough. Helped me a lot, but still it was tough.

edit: oh, you killed it.

Played it for about seven hours now, and I´m not entirely convinced. I think that it´s a good game, and I still am interested in The Witcher 2, but I don´t know if I´m interested to play through this one. The story seems interesting enough, there´s a lot of content, and the enviroments look great in some places.

But it seems that there are far to much time spent in the more boring areas, and to much running back and forth. I liked the village and the inn outside Vizimia, and Vizimia itself, but running around the forest outside Vizimia and the svamp is just plain boring. And fighting the dogs and drowners over and over again aren´t helping.

There are some really odd mistakes in the game also that breaks the immersion. As when I helped on three people I needed support from in the outskirts and Vizimia. I killed the drowners for him, and said that he wouldn´t need to worry about them anymore. Then I take two steps outside his house and run in to three more drowners.

vocab

CecilRousso said:
There are some really odd mistakes in the game also that breaks the immersion. As when I helped on three people I needed support from in the outskirts and Vizimia. I killed the drowners for him, and said that he wouldn´t need to worry about them anymore. Then I take two steps outside his house and run in to three more drowners.

That's in almost every RPG. Fuck, even WoW is guilty of this. They are trying to innovate with that instance dynamic change stuff, however, they are recycling content to achieve most of that.

jett

D-Member
Ah this game is pretty awesome. I'm just running around chapter 2 doing side quests. There's no penalty for killing random people on the street is there?

Top Bottom