• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Salsa

I have one graphics related issue.

Everytime i talk to someone, in the close-up toe their faces (along with Geralts), i see some kind of blockiness/tearing in the middle of their faces.

Anyone ?

Husker86

Just got this for $8 on Direct2Drive. Never been a big PC gamer but I've heard too much about this game over time that I had to try it out.

Does this game have essential mods like Oblivion or is it not a modded game? (yeah, really new to PC gaming...)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
SalsaShark said:
I have one graphics related issue.

Everytime i talk to someone, in the close-up toe their faces (along with Geralts), i see some kind of blockiness/tearing in the middle of their faces.

Anyone ?

ATI?

Husker86 said:
Just got this for $8 on Direct2Drive. Never been a big PC gamer but I've heard too much about this game over time that I had to try it out.

Does this game have essential mods like Oblivion or is it not a modded game? (yeah, really new to PC gaming...)

it has, but it's fine as it is.

Salsa

subversus said:

Nope.

9600GT

shots of the issues:

b2965.jpg

z6zUe.jpg

No tearing anywhere else.

~Kinggi~

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Nope.

9600GT

shots of the issues:

b2965.jpg

z6zUe.jpg

I think this has to do with 16:10 aspect ratio of resolution when it goes into 'widescreen' conversation mode. Its a fuckup on the developers end of things.

Salsa

~Kinggi~ said:
I think this has to do with 16:10 aspect ratio of resolution when it goes into 'widescreen' conversation mode. Its a fuckup on the developers end of things.

Oh well.

Had the same outcome in a 19 inch monitor (1440x900) and a 26 one (1360x768).

I can deal with it though..

Scipius

SalsaShark said:
I can deal with it though..

FWIW, I noticed the same issue when I started the game (1920x1200), but it seemed to have disappeared by the end of the game. Perhaps the effect just diminished in severity or I stopped noticing it. Anyway, it's an exceedingly minor issue.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally done with chapter 2. I seemed to do everything in the investigation right, so it all went well. It seem to take forever, about a dozen hours, but I still enjoyed it. The game is low key compared to some of it's non-stop instant gratification packed contemporaries, but I enjoy the engrossing slow burn of the Witcher. I feel very involved with the story and I actually care about how it'll all play out.

Can't wait to finally get the heck out of the Temple Quarters, so sick of that place. Alright, back to the game. <3

My frame rate is dropping as low as 35 in the Trade Quarter. Normally it's 60+, damn.

jett

D-Member
Killed some guards, now I got a headhunter on my ass. An unkillable headhunter, that's BS. :| I guess I'll just reload a previous save.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
jett said:
Killed some guards, now I got a headhunter on my ass. An unkillable headhunter, that's BS. :| I guess I'll just reload a previous save.

Yeah, I was going to say something but I figured it was best to find out for yourself :D

Menelaus

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Nope.

9600GT

shots of the issues:

b2965.jpg

z6zUe.jpg

I fixed mine by forcing AF in my nvidia control panel. You can also get rid of it by turning off depth of field (not likely).

jett

D-Member
Snuggler said:
I didn't even know you could kill people like that, are you doing it unprovoked? I've been missing out...

At night you can kill pretty much everything that's not highlighted in green text.

EviLore said:
Yeah, I was going to say something but I figured it was best to find out for yourself :D

Yeah it was pretty neat to find out, but the guy being invincible sucks. Anyways, I'm getting a heck of a lot of lockups in chapter 2...that sucks too!

poisonelf

Snuggler said:
My frame rate is dropping as low as 35 in the Trade Quarter. Normally it's 60+, damn.
Same here. With a gtx460 and the latest patch I simply blame it on a badly written engine though, no way that the game requires a graphics card more than 4 generations ahead of its time in order to run smoothly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RustyNails said:
That's not how you play an RPG :p

Looks like someone hasn't played Fallout! I'll definitely sport kill some NPCs now that I know about that.

Same here. With a gtx460 and the latest patch I simply blame it on a badly written engine though, no way that the game requires a graphics card more than 4 generations ahead of its time in order to run smoothly.

Same card here. The rest of the game has run beautifully, but something about the Trade Quarter makes my rig chug. Must be all the NPCs. I turned draw distance to average and got an extra 10 fps, but I wasn't into the fog so I went back to everything max. Oh well, I'll just look up when I run around the area.

Finally finished Act 2- didn't quite have the moral conundrum as Act I but the culmination was nevertheless suprising. Anyways just wanted to post an interesting glitch.

ADB0E097C8461B1704976E0AD406CB90104123B8

jackdoe

Snuggler said:
Same card here. The rest of the game has run beautifully, but something about the Trade Quarter makes my rig chug. Must be all the NPCs. I turned draw distance to average and got an extra 10 fps, but I wasn't into the fog so I went back to everything max. Oh well, I'll just look up when I run around the area.
The Auroroa Engine from Bioware is CPU bound (and prone to memory leaks, as seen in Witcher pre-patch and Dragon Age pre-patch). So it has less to do with GPU than CPU.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jackdoe said:
The Auroroa Engine from Bioware is CPU bound (and prone to memory leaks, as seen in Witcher pre-patch and Dragon Age pre-patch). So it has less to do with GPU than CPU.

That's odd since my CPU is much more capable than my GPU, as far as I know, but I 'spose the game is more to blame than my parts. Whatev, at least it'll prepare me for the Witcher 2 which will probably confine me to 30ish FPS if I'm gonna run it on high.

Minsc

Gold Member
Snuggler said:
That's odd since my CPU is much more capable than my GPU, as far as I know, but I 'spose the game is more to blame than my parts. Whatev, at least it'll prepare me for the Witcher 2 which will probably confine me to 30ish FPS if I'm gonna run it on high.

Witcher only uses a single core, iirc. Yup, a 4% gain for the second core. You need ~4+ GHz on a modern intel CPU (hello sandy bridge) or probably like 5.5GHz on a AMD CPU to max it perfectly.

poisonelf

I don't know whether to hate Steam or the Witcher (its bugs, I fucking love the game all the more as I play). Something keeps getting fucked up, the game crashes, saves won't load, and I have to "verify the game cache" or whatever from Steam every couple of hours. Every time it downloads 1-2 Gb, and every time I'm afraid that it won't load for good. Fuck this shit.
Actually, I'll just hate Steam, can't go wrong with that.

Anyone had a similar problem with this game?

Snuggler said:
Finally done with chapter 2. I seemed to do everything in the investigation right, so it all went well. It seem to take forever, about a dozen hours, but I still enjoyed it. The game is low key compared to some of it's non-stop instant gratification packed contemporaries, but I enjoy the engrossing slow burn of the Witcher. I feel very involved with the story and I actually care about how it'll all play out.

Can't wait to finally get the heck out of the Temple Quarters, so sick of that place. Alright, back to the game. <3

Wow. You are playing through this game fast. Looking back I enjoyed the the Trade Quater a little bit more than the Temple Quarter (damn graphics chug like nobody's business in the Trade Quarter).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lasthope106 said:
Wow. You are playing through this game fast. Looking back I enjoyed the the Temple Quater a little bit more than the Trade Quarter (damn graphics chug like nobody's business in the Trade Quarter).

Technically I'm playing through it slow since I'm doing all the quests I can before progressing, but I've sunk like 18 hours in the last few days. That's pretty extreme for me, but it hooks me in for several hours at a time, I can't stop until I've finished everything on my plate but The Witcher seems to keep dangling that carrot if you know what i mean.

poisonelf

Snuggler said:
Technically I'm playing through it slow since I'm doing all the quests I can before progressing, but I've sunk like 18 hours in the last few days. That's pretty extreme for me, but it hooks me in for several hours at a time, I can't stop until I've finished everything on my plate but The Witcher seems to keep dangling that carrot if you now what i mean.
I'm also at the beginning of chapter 3 and have played for 18 hours as well :) I feel like I'm doing all the quests, though I did sort of run through the investigation required reading...

jett said:

Yeah I was going to say the same thing earlier. Unfortunately all my saves and autosaves were after I killed the guard since he didn't come after me for quite a while, so I actually had to start the whole game over. Only way to get rid of him is to pay 1000 orens, fuck that.

poisonelf

Shani or Triss, Order or Scoia'Tael... damn game is driving me crazy! First I've ever felt so divided on what choices to make in a game, having the impression that it really will have an impact. Not to mention the role play aspect, being so nicely written. Love it.

I prefer Shani in general but Triss seems like the logical choice for a magical kid, being a sorceress, not to mention that she appears on the trailer of the Witcher 2 and is presented as the default partner. As for the Scoia'Tael, I supported their struggle amidst all that racism, and wouldn't want to side with such christian-crusader like knights, but now they kill innocents and take prisoners. Damn what to do! :(

JWong

Banned
poisonelf said:
Shani or Triss, Order or Scoia'Tael... damn game is driving me crazy! First I've ever felt so divided on what choices to make in a game, having the impression that it really will have an impact. Not to mention the role play aspect, being so nicely written. Love it.

I prefer Shani in general but Triss seems like the logical choice for a magical kid, being a sorceress, not to mention that she appears on the trailer of the Witcher 2 and is presented as the default partner. As for the Scoia'Tael, I supported their struggle amidst all that racism, and wouldn't want to side with such christian-crusader like knights, but now they kill innocents and take prisoners. Damn what to do! :(
As long as I get the girls.

Near the end, choosing
neither Order or Scoia'Tael nets you two girls in one card.

Red

No matter what I do, the Reverend will not appear on chapter 1. Has anyone run into this issue? I can't do anything without him.

Exuro

Crunched said:
No matter what I do, the Reverend will not appear on chapter 1. Has anyone run into this issue? I can't do anything without him.
Where have you looked? I've always either found him in front of the chapel or in his house.

Red

Exuro said:
Where have you looked? I've always either found him in front of the chapel or in his house.
His name appears floating in both those places but he's not there. It's like he's invisible/unclickable. I can walk into him and Geralt will stop, but there's nothing there.

jett

D-Member
This game can be kind of genius sometimes, just did the party side quest in Chapter II. Invited a hooker, much lulz ensued.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jett said:
This game can be kind of genius sometimes, just did the party side quest in Chapter II. Invited a hooker, much lulz ensued.

I loved that quest, it was a hoot and it ended with a steamy nightcap between me and the lovely Shani. I had no idea you could hire a hooker, that's crazy. I was worried that Dandelion might cockblock me, but he bailed out at just the right time.

I couldn't think of many friends :( to seek out...my first choice was the awesome dude, Thaler but there was no option so I just went with the Dwarf, Zoltan or whatever.

jett

D-Member
Snuggler said:
I loved that quest, it was a hoot and it ended with a steamy nightcap between me and the lovely Shani. I had no idea you could hire a hooker, that's crazy. I was worried that Dandelion might cockblock me, but he bailed out at just the right time.

I couldn't think of many friends :( to seek out...my first choice was the awesome dude, Thaler but there was no option so I just went with the Dwarf, Zoltan or whatever.

Yeah it's pretty fun.

Anyway, made it to the Trade Quarter and the framerate turned into complete shit. :|

Minamu

You mean Carmen, right? I brought Siegfried, and while Shani started falling for him, he had taken a vow of celibacy, thank the heavens ;)

subversus

Minamu said:
You mean Carmen, right? I brought Siegfried, and while Shani started falling for him, he had taken a vow of celibacy, thank the heavens ;)

yeah, I brought Siegfried too. I wish RPGs did more social quests like that. A perfect break.

HEAR THAT BIOWARE? You shouldn't save the world every minute of 50-hour walkthrough.

on the other note there will be a big quest further which is a good example how you could do a horror story in the daylight. It wasn't particularly scary but damn, it gave me goosebumps.

iavi

Snuggler said:

The simple character-interesction driven quests like this one are the best, hands down. Another is when you attend the part with Triss in chapter 3, some funny moments in that one.

Btw,
Are there any repercussions for choosing to smang the princess vs getting the information from her
That's one of those choices that's been nagging me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Everything to do with Shani's grandmother is fucking hilarious.

The mummy? Her reaction to the 'noises' upstairs was funny.

Miri said:
Btw,
Are there any repercussions for choosing to smang the princess vs getting the information from her
That's one of those choices that's been nagging me.

We'll see, since I did the same thing. It probably won't matter, but I also chose to bang
Dandelion's ex who had his lute
. I couldn't pass on an opportunity like that.

I just had to make my decision (early ch. 3) between
Shani and Triss. Tough call, but I went with Shani. I like red heads and I busted ass gathering herbs and stuff for her, so it seemed like the better choice.
Since the other one is pissed at me now, it'll be fun to see how that plays out later in the game.

I've enjoyed this from the start but chapter 3 has been the best yet, despite the fps issues in the Trade Quarter. There have been quite a few interesting, personal choices like that so far.

24 hours in~~~

subversus

Snuggler said:
I've enjoyed this from the start but chapter 3 has been the best yet, despite the fps issues in the Trade Quarter. There have been quite a few interesting, personal choices like that so far.

24 hours in~~~

It will get better.

Snuggler said:
The mummy? Her reaction to the 'noises' upstairs was funny.
After all the shit she gave me when trying to do night time quests at Shani's, kicking me out from bad choices on the dialogue tree etc,
the marriage quest chain had me getting shitfaced with the bard and the dwarf, full of funny ass dialogue and ending with me stumbling home drunk and this time using the conversation tree to give the old lady a heart attack. I laughed so fucking hard.

iavi

Snuggler said:
Dandelion's ex who had his lute

How do you go about this? I had a feeling that this was in the cards, but she doesn't give me many options... unless you had to do it when he requests for you to fetch it.

Snuggler said:
I just had to make my decision (early ch. 3) between
Shani and Triss. Tough call, but I went with Shani. I like red heads and I busted ass gathering herbs and stuff for her, so it seemed like the better choice.
Since the other one is pissed at me now, it'll be fun to see how that plays out later in the game.

See,
Triss is in 2, so I figured that a good choice in 1 would carry over to the second, and, besides, she's even redder the red-head, man.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Miri said:
How do you go about this? I had a feeling that this was in the cards, but she doesn't give me many options... unless you had to do it when he requests for you to fetch it.

It was actually after I settled the matter with her (at the end of the conversation), she made some remark about how good Witchers are at sex, you must have missed one little dialog choice that leads you to it.

Top Bottom