• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

teiresias

I didn't realize The Witcher 2 would let us import Witcher 1 saves, so I neglected to back up my saves before I deleted the game via Steam. So now I'm stuck playing the through the game again, only a month or two since I finished it the first time. I don't even think I'll make major choices differently this time either, since the alternatives really just don't appeal to me.

Steam really needs to leave the saves folder of these game when you delete the local content, or at least ask you if you want to get rid of the saves of each game or not.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
teiresias said:
I didn't realize The Witcher 2 would let us import Witcher 1 saves, so I neglected to back up my saves before I deleted the game via Steam. So now I'm stuck playing the through the game again, only a month or two since I finished it the first time. I don't even think I'll make major choices differently this time either, since the alternatives really just don't appeal to me.

Steam really needs to leave the saves folder of these game when you delete the local content, or at least ask you if you want to get rid of the saves of each game or not.

you'll be able to make these choices in the intro of TW2.

Gvaz

Banned
I seem to have an issue where the Reverend is invisible on my steam version of the EE.

As you can see, I can't interact with him but he's apparently there? Steam verified fine and I don't recall installing any mods but theres shit in my override folder? Can I just safely delete all that or?

Minamu said:
You mean Carmen, right? I brought Siegfried, and while Shani started falling for him, he had taken a vow of celibacy, thank the heavens ;)
I brought Zoltan Chivay with me. The banter between Zoltan and Dandelion was pretty awesome.
subversus said:
on the other note there will be a big quest further which is a good example how you could do a horror story in the daylight. It wasn't particularly scary but damn, it gave me goosebumps.
I just started Act 4...any heads up when this quest will come up? I may have already completed it :p

poisonelf

Crunched said:
No matter what I do, the Reverend will not appear on chapter 1. Has anyone run into this issue? I can't do anything without him.
I have some bad news. Digging through forums for known bugs and problems as my game keeps on crashing, I read two possibilities:
1) It is a form of copy protection. The Reverend will not appear if you used a crack (for example a no-cd crack, not saying you're a pirate, I don't even know you :) ).
2) It could be caused by mods if you're using mods.

I remember reading through these, don't have a ready link since I have 23423098 windows open regarding Witcher issues. And again, I can't load my saves.

subversus

RustyNails said:
I brought Zoltan Chivay with me. The banter between Zoltan and Dandelion was pretty awesome.

I just started Act 4...any heads up when this quest will come up? I may have already completed it :p

Damn, I forgot that I brought Zoltan too, not S..... Or was S..... there too? Don't remember.

Anyway I won't tell you when it starts but don't expect Silent Hill or something like that. It's just a bit chilly and sad.

Is there a good character building guide? I'm throwing my points for Geralt in random places and I'm not sure what attributes/skills would are important.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You'll have most of the points accrued by the end of the game anyway, just put it towards whatever you use the most right now (whatever signs you have, or whatever blade you're using the most - so definitely silver before steel if you ask me).

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm about 12 hours in on my steam EE copy. I'm enjoying the game but I think I've run into a bug. To make money with the notice board quests and NPC sidequests in Vizima I ran through a few abandoned houses and fetch quests. The problem is the turn-in NPCs are never there once I'm done. I've tracked the NPCs back to the Inn or wherever and tried various times of day to catch them, but I can never find them. Is this a bug or do I just have to wait until I've progressed more to turn them in?

subversus

CecilRousso said:
So I just reached Act 3, and I barely spent any time at the svamp at all. Why do people complain so much about it?

I don't know, but some people feel obligated to fight every moster they encounter. You just have to run. May be because of that, I don't know.

I enjoyed the swamp.

CecilRousso said:
So I just reached Act 3, and I barely spent any time at the svamp at all. Why do people complain so much about it?
Swamp is fun, especially when you manage to get the bad ass steel sword being guarded by the wyverns, early on, so much tension kite'ing the bastards.

Red

poisonelf said:
I have some bad news. Digging through forums for known bugs and problems as my game keeps on crashing, I read two possibilities:
1) It is a form of copy protection. The Reverend will not appear if you used a crack (for example a no-cd crack, not saying you're a pirate, I don't even know you :) ).
2) It could be caused by mods if you're using mods.

I remember reading through these, don't have a ready link since I have 23423098 windows open regarding Witcher issues. And again, I can't load my saves.
I have the Enhanced Edition on Steam, no mods installed.

Pretty frustrating if this can't be fixed.

Gvaz said:
I seem to have an issue where the Reverend is invisible on my steam version of the EE.

As you can see, I can't interact with him but he's apparently there? Steam verified fine and I don't recall installing any mods but theres shit in my override folder? Can I just safely delete all that or?
We will suffer together.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CecilRousso said:

In addition to what Sub mentioned about the too frequent enemy spawns, I think you have to spend a little too much time there as well. It's a cool environment, very swampy, but I hope to be done with it soon (mid ch. 3).

MickeyKnox said:
Swamp is fun, especially when you manage to get the bad ass steel sword being guarded by the wyverns, early on, so much tension kite'ing the bastards.

Yeah, I didn´t particulary dislike it, but I liked the city more and wanted to push on with that part so I didn´t really explore the swamp that much. But people have described it like a complete chore, so I was suprised how litle one had to do there to advance to the third act.

Edit: Ah, ok, so more svamp in the third act then. :)

elseanio

14 hours in and still loving every second.

Yet to venture into the swamp. Have a lot of quests there now, so will probably be next on my list.

Just started this for the first time, it seems to have hitches annoyingly often. Like if an enemy sees me and comes after me and Geralt draws his sword, there's a half-second hiccup just before the sword-draw animation. Also seems to happen during some battle animations. This happen to anyone else? It's really keeping me from getting into it.

Scipius said:
True. The swamp in Chapter 2 was the last time combat presented any type of challenge on normal difficulty.

For me it was the
salamandra hideout in the sewers in chapter 3
. But it was my own fault since I accidently pulled a whole room of them.

Menelaus

Banned
Spoiler alert! I'm having a problem...

I just killed Ramsmeat, and I'm supposed to coax Kalkstein out to the tower. Problem is, he won't even talk to me any more! I still have the quest to bring Kalk 3 alghoul brains, but I haven't been able to find any of those guys in the swamp.

Ideas?

Menelaus said:

I just killed Ramsmeat, and I'm supposed to coax Kalkstein out to the tower. Problem is, he won't even talk to me any more! I still have the quest to bring Kalk 3 alghoul brains, but I haven't been able to find any of those guys in the swamp.

Ideas?

From memory you can find those guys near
the dead bodies which are near the tower, however they only seem to appear at night.
Hopefully that helps.

poisonelf

Menelaus said:

Ideas?
I found the alghouls later on, in chapter 3. I think in the cemetery at night. You can then go to Kalksten and he'll probably be talking to you. As for leading him to the tower I don't think you actually have to do anything. Just light the ten stones, opening the way to the tower, and go there.

I'm finally starting this after having it sitting in my Steam list for a really long time. Only problem so far is that in order to achieve a playable framerate I have to make the graphics suck :(

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm finally starting this after having it sitting in my Steam list for a really long time. Only problem so far is that in order to achieve a playable framerate I have to make the graphics suck :(

What kind of computer do you have? For me the grass detail was the real system pusher. When I turned that down to low I could set the rest of the setting to high.

CecilRousso said:
What kind of computer do you have? For me the grass detail was the real system pusher. When I turned that down to low I could set the rest of the setting to high.
Interesting, I'll try turning the grass way down and see what happens. I'm on an m11x with the i5 and 1gb 335M which has been fine for most recent things. Let's see how it goes.

vocab

jim-jam bongs said:

The biggest thing you can do is drop the view distance to Average. Gained like 30+ fps just from that. The game isn't perfect since the engine was designed for single core processors, and 2 Gigs of ram, but I'm willing to get through it for the sequel.

koji

StarEye said:
I... brought Carmen, hoping for some...er... bonding between her and Shani?

Lol, yeah I thought exactly the same thing when I played that quest the first time
but it doesn't happen...
, grandma kicked me out though because I got caught drunk downstairs (lol, the writing is this game...), reloaded and brought Zoltan.

Salaadin

koji said:
Lol, yeah I thought exactly the same thing when I played that quest the first time
but it doesn't happen...
, grandma kicked me out though because I got caught drunk downstairs (lol, the writing is this game...), reloaded and brought Zoltan.

I didnt know you could get caught. I guess Im a sneaky drunk!

Menelaus

Banned
poisonelf said:
I found the alghouls later on, in chapter 3. I think in the cemetery at night. You can then go to Kalksten and he'll probably be talking to you. As for leading him to the tower I don't think you actually have to do anything. Just light the ten stones, opening the way to the tower, and go there.
Problem is, I don't have the
10 stones. You don't get the last one from Raymond until Vizima Confidential is completed, and it seems like getting kalkstein to the tower is part of that.

poisonelf

Menelaus said:
Problem is, I don't have the
10 stones. You don't get the last one from Raymond until Vizima Confidential is completed, and it seems like getting kalkstein to the tower is part of that.
Do you have 9 of the stones? I remember having 9 of the stones, killing Ramsmeat, and then going to talk to the detective. He says that he has the last stone, gives it to you, you activate the stones, and find them at the tower. That's how I remember it, if it doesn't work that way I can't help, sorry
The witcher wiki is really helpful though in detailing results of the many choices and how you should progress if you're hopelessly stuck.

jett

D-Member
What's up with loading times in Chapter III? Longer than usual, and even meditating gives me pretty long black screen. :|

jett said:
What's up with loading times in Chapter III? Longer than usual, and even meditating gives me pretty long black screen. :|
Well at least you get to hear the fuck awesome Witcher main theme for a bit longer while waiting.

vocab said:
The biggest thing you can do is drop the view distance to Average. Gained like 30+ fps just from that. The game isn't perfect since the engine was designed for single core processors, and 2 Gigs of ram, but I'm willing to get through it for the sequel.

I've managed to get it running at medium which isn't too bad, but I might try tweaking the draw distance too. Switching to the OTS camera makes a massive difference to framerate for some reason, and the combat works better anyway.

Anyway, enjoying this a whole lot already, although I'm a little disappointed by how slutty the women in the game are. I gave some peasant chick flowers then said "hey let's smang it in that shrubbery" and she didn't hesitate.

jett

D-Member
My Geralt is quite the pimp. Just had me a
vampire orgy
. :lol I hope this aspect of the game remains intact in the sequel, it's just funny as hell.

iavi

jett said:
vampire orgy
. :lol I hope this aspect of the game remains intact in the sequel, it's just funny as hell.

It is. The cards are history though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jett said:
vampire orgy

LOL, that shit was freaky. I had already
smanged his sister when I found her at the brothel, just to be a dick. I was not expecting the vampire orgy, though, I almost shat myself when the hooker's face changes.

I'm still in chapter 3, just did the
bank robbery mission.
I tend to sympathize more with the non-humans, but there were innocents involved so I had to stand against them this time. :(

Top Bottom