• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

I'm having some trouble with the combat, I'm playing with the strategic camera and I was wondering if I should be moving Geralt around. I usually just use the mouse to attack and the ocasional stance change.

madmook

Just got the game over the weekend, and played maybe an hour or so. I'm using the OTS view, and its pretty good so far. I'm still trying to get a grip on the combat system. I don't know how, but I made Geralt pull off a few slow-mo special kills which were awesome to watch.

For the people who beat it already, did it take 30+ hours?

Haven't beaten it yet, but I'd definitely guess that the first playthrough would be between 30 and 40 hours, assuming that most side quests are followed.

Also, some of the special moves are dictated by abilities that you've given Geralt, I believe. Also, if you knock an over or stun them, there are a bunch of ways that Geralt will finish them. Oh, and I usually dodge hits manually while fighting. Use OTS view and it feels like you have much better control of movement and attacks.

Carm

Diggler said:
How did you guys beat the bloodhound? He's ripping me to shreds almost instantly.

Did you take the stun ability for the first sign? If so you could, unless you get unlucky, end the fight within 10 seconds of it starting. Start a combo on him, let the first phase finish then use the sign, 9/10 it will stun him for a one hit kill, all other dogs go poof when he dies.

Use fast sword style when fighting him too if you weren't already, that's what I used anyhoo.

Chromax

Diggler said:
How did you guys beat the bloodhound? He's ripping me to shreds almost instantly.

I beat it easily by drinking a swallow right away and went after the minions that are after Abby, just let the boss maul you since I heard he can't stun you unless you attack him. After he's alone you just start tank him with the witch healing you and switch to group style whenever he summons more dogs. I killed it after 2-3 waves of summon.

madmook said:
Just got the game over the weekend, and played maybe an hour or so. I'm using the OTS view, and its pretty good so far. I'm still trying to get a grip on the combat system. I don't know how, but I made Geralt pull off a few slow-mo special kills which were awesome to watch.

For the people who beat it already, did it take 30+ hours?
There's no game clock but I know for a fact I spent over 30 hours playing as I was really trying to do as many missions as possible.

The end-game is fucking brilliant, there is a subtlety to the climax that I applaud them for not dumbing down and holding your hand through.

RPG of the Year, easily.

Gawd freaking damnit! How can I keep the Cockatrice from
killing Siegfried? The damn thing is always going after him and I can't kill it fast enough.

Prime crotch said:
Gawd freaking damnit! How can I keep the Cockatrice from
killing Siegfried? The damn thing is always going after him and I can't kill it fast enough.
He won't die permanently, just finish it off and he'll rez.

In my case though I rushed the fucker, hit it with the Arad sign then started tearing him up with either Strong or Fast style.

Let me know when you get to the swamp so I can tell you where to get a badass named Steel sword.

Arad's the fire of the push sign? Either he doesn't like fire and I gulped a blizzard potion before but that didn't helped me as much as it slowed time down way too much.

Which reminds me I only got the first and the fire sign so far did I somehow missed some?

MickeyKnox said:
He won't die permanently, just finish it off and he'll rez.

In my case though I rushed the fucker, hit it with the Arad sign then started tearing him up with either Strong or Fast style.

Let me know when you get to the swamp so I can tell you where to get a badass named Steel sword.
K I'm nearing the swamp now where can I get this awesome sword? btw what should I give the hag that's on Shanni's house? I wish I could just kill her instead.

Great game and a great ending. However I have a question for those who have beaten it.

I got the alvin traveling in time bit but was you supposed to recognice the failed assassin? Who was he? Also is it possible to beat "death" in the final final battle? I tried but gave up and gave the bastard what he wanted.

Prime crotch said:
K I'm nearing the swamp now where can I get this awesome sword? btw what should I give the hag that's on Shanni's house? I wish I could just kill her instead.

You get a hint(she tells you) when she talks about company.
yellow gloves I think. or was it red?

Just enter and reenter until you get the right conversation.

syllogism

PuppetSlave said:
Great game and a great ending. However I have a question for those who have beaten it.

I got the alvin traveling in time bit but was you supposed to recognice the failed assassin? Who was he? Also is it possible to beat "death" in the final final battle? I tried but gave up and gave the bastard what he wanted.

No, the assassin is there to demonstrate that new witchers are still being made/trained. The sword fighting style he uses makes it clear he is not from any of the known schools. You can beat "King of the Hunt", but I don't think it changed anything.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Can't find the last two professional poker players on Vizima. Any help?

The last two players I found:

A skeleton in some ruins in riverside. Go there at night, touch the skeleton, that summons the wraith, chat with the wraith.

The very last guy is the King. Beat him and the quest is over.

Just finished it myself, best RPG I've played in a long time and probably my PC GOTY at this point.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've got a slight graphical question here that probably stems from my general ignorance re: PC gaming, but on the off-chance someone can help--res is at 1920 x 1200, I've got all the settings on High and DOF off (per an earlier recommendation), AA at 2X (max, oddly), and AF on 8X (just picked this since it seems to fall in the middle). Game runs well, 30-45 FPS pretty much constantly, but on the cut scenes, the faces of many of the characters seem almost "blocky," not jaggies or super-noticeable, but just that there seem to be these almost translucent blocks comprising their faces.

Looks almost PSXish and is a stark contrast to the rest of the game, which looks great. Any ideas on what this is and whether it can be fixed?

Game continues to be awesome as well.

AstroLad said:
I've got a slight graphical question here that probably stems from my general ignorance re: PC gaming, but on the off-chance someone can help--res is at 1920 x 1200, I've got all the settings on High and DOF off (per an earlier recommendation), AA at 2X (max, oddly), and AF on 8X (just picked this since it seems to fall in the middle). Game runs well, 30-45 FPS pretty much constantly, but on the cut scenes, the faces of many of the characters seem almost "blocky," not jaggies or super-noticeable, but just that there seem to be these almost translucent blocks comprising their faces.

Looks almost PSXish and is a stark contrast to the rest of the game, which looks great. Any ideas on what this is and whether it can be fixed?

Are you patched?

Mine looked like this:

witcher2007-11-0611-37-25-07.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MickeyKnox said:
Are you patched?

Yeah, I do have the patch from around release (I think there was only one), but I'll try re-applying it as well as scaling back my drivers. It's such a weird issue but I guess it's nothing to do with the game. Glad that it runs really well now otherwise, even the cutscenes which were a bit hit-or-miss before.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I've heard a lot of good things about this game on GFW podcast. How are you guys liking it so far?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kaako said:
I've heard a lot of good things about this game on GFW podcast. How are you guys liking it so far?

If you're looking for an RPG and don't mind a fun timing-based fighting mechanic (I don't think I could play any other ARPG after this just due to the combat here being so intuitive, even if basic) and a slightly hokey fantasy world (though the story is solid), you should love this. The game is quite deep and has really lush graphics provided you can handle it.

Carm

AstroLad said:

From official forum reading, a lot of people are hit with that, I have that issue, nothing I've changed has fixed it, hopefully it gets fixed in the upcoming patch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Galanthas said:
From official forum reading, a lot of people are hit with that, I have that issue, nothing I've changed has fixed it, hopefully it gets fixed in the upcoming patch.

Damn, thanks. I think I actually magically didn't have it once. It was after I bumped AF for 4 to 8 so I thought that somehow fixed it but yesterday it came back. I'm gonna try to roll back the drivers (I'm on a laptop using lv2g unofficial drivers right now, going to use manufacturer drivers instead to see how it turns out) and if that doesn't work just ignore it and hope it gets patched I suppose.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tom Penny said:
So how bad do the load times mess up the game. That is one of my pet peeves but I need a good RPG.

There are tons of load screens. I think it was Jeff on GFW who mentioned that he actually thought twice about entering random houses b/c he didn't want to deal with the load screen and I've had the same experience. If loading is a big pet peeve of yours, I might advise against this game, at least until they can somehow fix it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
AstroLad said:
If you're looking for an RPG and don't mind a fun timing-based fighting mechanic (I don't think I could play any other ARPG after this just due to the combat here being so intuitive, even if basic) and a slightly hokey fantasy world (though the story is solid), you should love this. The game is quite deep and has really lush graphics provided you can handle it.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check it out.
I just hope my PC can run it though:
P4 3.2ghz
2 gigs of ram
7800GT OC (256MB)

BeeDog

AstroLad, I can also vouch for that blocky look in dialogue mode. First I thought this was some kind of leftover artifact from having DOF enabled, but even when disabled the invisible blocks are there. I've also tried several different (Nvidia) drivers, and they all have the same problem. Probably some engine limitation or something.

Carm

Honestly the loading so far hasn't bothered me, 20ish seconds transitions from houses to outside, it's the mandatory autosaving that happens right after loads that gets old real fecking quick. Takes longer to auto save than it does to load. But they are apparently improving all of that with the patch that is suppose to hit before christmas.

Fun game but its buggy, had a save just go wonky and game crashes when I try to load it. Every once in awhile when I shut the game down I get an exe error from it as well *shrug*. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't all caused by the crappy theft prevention software.

I have the same problem with the blocky looking cut-scenes. The weird thing is it wasn't like that when i first started playing it but this past weekend when I booted the game up they were there. They make Triss look like some skinny crack whore.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Tom Penny said:
So how bad do the load times mess up the game. That is one of my pet peeves but I need a good RPG.

On my machine (Q6600@3ghz, 4gb ram, WD 7200rpm 16mb cache hard drive) the load times aren't long at all, maybe like 15 seconds, as high as 20 in some spots. It's a tad annoying but nothing I can't live with. The game's worth playing despite the loading, trust me. It looks fairly awesome fully cranked, too.

Prime crotch said:
Oh my gawd! What an awesome ending, that's all I'm saying.
Told you it was badass.

**SPOILERS**

My favorite aspect of it is that
they don't completely come out and tell you that the head of the order was in fact Alvin but just drop enough hints in and treat their audience like adults by expecting them to figure it out. Also, Ninja Fucking Witchers, I need an expansion.

MickeyKnox said:
Told you it was badass.

**SPOILERS**

My favorite aspect of it is that
they don't completely come out and tell you that the head of the order was in fact Alvin but just drop enough hints in and treat their audience like adults by expecting them to figure it out. Also, Ninja Fucking Witchers, I need an expansion.
I thought the
medallion was a bit unnecessary they dropped so many hints during the dialogs at the last area that it was enough to figure it out. Although I wonder if I had said something diferent to Alvin during the fourth chapter things would be diferent. Oh and The Wild Hunt was pretty easy kind of a letdown.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hellsing321 said:
I have the same problem with the blocky looking cut-scenes. The weird thing is it wasn't like that when i first started playing it but this past weekend when I booted the game up they were there. They make Triss look like some skinny crack whore.

I think I figured out how to fix this. Basically the problem is that the game is not accepting the AF settings, so I just went into the NVidia Control Panel-->The Witcher and set the AF myself. Now all the cutscenes work great. The game does seem to be fairly Vista unfriendly right now though (or at least Vista 64)--crashes for me a good deal. Believe a new patch is coming soon.

Prime crotch said:
I thought the
medallion was a bit unnecessary they dropped so many hints during the dialogs at the last area that it was enough to figure it out. Although I wonder if I had said something diferent to Alvin during the fourth chapter things would be diferent. Oh and The Wild Hunt was pretty easy kind of a letdown.
it depends on what you've said to him throughout the game, the dialog reflects your various conversations.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
The game does seem to be fairly Vista unfriendly right now though (or at least Vista 64)--crashes for me a good deal. Believe a new patch is coming soon.

Wierd. I've been playing the hell out of it (just reached Chapter 2) on Vista 64 and haven't had a single crash, lock-up or anything. Cut scenes are smooth, etc. Glad you got it working though. This game is turning out to be one of my top games of the year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Big Nate said:
Wierd. I've been playing the hell out of it (just reached Chapter 2) on Vista 64 and haven't had a single crash, lock-up or anything. Cut scenes are smooth, etc. Glad you got it working though. This game is turning out to be one of my top games of the year.

Might be because I've been messing around with the settings, I also added a second graphics card so I've got all sorts of nonsense going on. But yeah the game is great...I hope they get to release it on consoles. Deserves a wide audience and imo the 360 audience would eat it up.

Souther

Banned
Being playing this for awhile and just got finished killing that cockatrice.

Question...I seem to have a problem with some graphic glitchs..But its probably my videocard(Radeon X1200).

Geralts character model is screwed up along with alot of other characters.. I have these "Spikes" coming off the characters...its the characters textures that are being spiked out from thier bodies. I've also seen like these gray poles extending from the bodies of chickens.

Does anybody have any idea what could be doing this? I am guessing its because my VC is pretty crappy(i'm playing at low settings @1024x768)

Any help would be appreciated.

Also..is there anything i should be unchecking or checking in the catalyst control centre?

My machine specs are

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2 gigs of DDR2 Pc-6400 800mhz
480w PS
Radeon X1200 Integrated Graphics
Xp Prof SP2, Updated Direct X, Catalyst drivers, Audio drivers.

Joe Molotov

AstroLad said:
The game does seem to be fairly Vista unfriendly right now though (or at least Vista 64)--crashes for me a good deal. Believe a new patch is coming soon.

It crashed on me several times (running Vista 32) but after I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers, I haven't had anymore problems.

Zzoram

Souther said:
Being playing this for awhile and just got finished killing that cockatrice.

Question...I seem to have a problem with some graphic glitchs..But its probably my videocard(Radeon X1200).

Geralts character model is screwed up along with alot of other characters.. I have these "Spikes" coming off the characters...its the characters textures that are being spiked out from thier bodies. I've also seen like these gray poles extending from the bodies of chickens.

Does anybody have any idea what could be doing this? I am guessing its because my VC is pretty crappy(i'm playing at low settings @1024x768)

Any help would be appreciated.

Also..is there anything i should be unchecking or checking in the catalyst control centre?

My machine specs are

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2 gigs of DDR2 Pc-6400 800mhz
480w PS
Radeon X1200 Integrated Graphics
Xp Prof SP2, Updated Direct X, Catalyst drivers, Audio drivers.

Those specs would make a decent gaming rig if you only bought a video card. If you have a PCI-express X16 graphics slot buy the cheapo HD2400XT for $72 at newegg.com, or if you have more money, get an HD3850 for like $170.

Souther

Banned
Zzoram said:
Those specs would make a decent gaming rig if you only bought a video card. If you have a PCI-express X16 graphics slot buy the cheapo HD2400XT for $72 at newegg.com, or if you have more money, get an HD3850 for like $170.

Yeah i know the graphic card isn't the best. And i plan on getting something better soon. actually i was looking at these 4 cards...

And yep my MB supports PCI-e 16x. Its a biostar TA690g AM2

any thoughts?

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=Product&i=VC-AS-EAH3850-G-HTDI-256

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=Product&i=VC-AS-EAX1600XT+SIL/TVD

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=Product&i=VC-AS-EAH2600XTD4/HTD256

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=product&i=VC-AS-EAH2600XT/HTDP/256

Zzoram

Souther said:
Yeah i know the graphic card isn't the best. And i plan on getting something better soon. actually i was looking at these 4 cards...

And yep my MB supports PCI-e 16x. Its a biostar TA690g AM2

any thoughts?

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=Product&i=VC-AS-EAH3850-G-HTDI-256

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=Product&i=VC-AS-EAX1600XT+SIL/TVD

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=Product&i=VC-AS-EAH2600XTD4/HTD256

http://www.pccyber.com/scrMain.asp?v=product&i=VC-AS-EAH2600XT/HTDP/256

Either the $126 HD2600XT or the $199 HD3850 would be good bets. Actually, an X1950Pro would probably be faster than the HD2600XT, although it doesn't have DX10 features (not that either card could handle them anyways). I'd personally get the HD3850. Since it looks like you're Canadian too, I recommend this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26984&vpn=3850PE3256SB&manufacture=Diamond

$188 HD3850

Top Bottom