• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Souther

Banned
Zzoram said:
Either the $126 HD2600XT or the $199 HD3850 would be good bets. Actually, an X1950Pro would probably be faster than the HD2600XT, although it doesn't have DX10 features (not that either card could handle them anyways). I'd personally get the HD3850. Since it looks like you're Canadian too, I recommend this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26984&vpn=3850PE3256SB&manufacture=Diamond

$188 HD3850

Cool! I think i might have to get this.

So when installing this card, its just a matter of turning off the integrated graphics via the BIOS and then installing it right?

Should you always uninstall your VC drivers, install the card and then install the new drivers like i already have (catalyst 7.11)?

I'm not really a newb to this but its always good to ask : ) since this is the 1st time i have dealt with Integrated graphics chip before.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Thought I'd post some screenshots from the first section of the game. This is with all settings maxed.

6ywzgjk.jpg

8gdycr9.jpg

Zzoram

Souther said:
Cool! I think i might have to get this.

So when installing this card, its just a matter of turning off the integrated graphics via the BIOS and then installing it right?

Should you always uninstall your VC drivers, install the card and then install the new drivers like i already have (catalyst 7.11)?

I'm not really a newb to this but its always good to ask : ) since this is the 1st time i have dealt with Integrated graphics chip before.

I'm not sure how it works on a board with integrated. I assume ya, you turn off the integrated, plug in the card, and make sure you remove the drivers. It'll detect the card and then you install the new drivers. I recommend you download the new driver in advance so its readily available.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zzoram said:
What specs does it take to max it and run it well?

FWIW, I'd say you need around a 8500-9000 3DMark06 at 1920x1200 max. I can run it on max at around 35-40 fps. Though I do turn to Medium a few of the more worthless effects like "small creatures" just to squeeze out a few more FPS. Oh, and my AF is at 8X though I'm thinking about going to 4 since imo they both look good.

Here are my specs fwiw:
E6700 / 2X GeForce GO 7950 GTX / 4GBSDRAM at 667MHz

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
FWIW, I'd say you need around a 8500-9000 3DMark06 at 1920x1200 max. I can run it on max at around 35-40 fps. Though I do turn to Medium a few of the more worthless effects like "small creatures" just to squeeze out a few more FPS. Oh, and my AF is at 8X though I'm thinking about going to 4 since imo they both look good.

I have a 6800 256mb and a 1440x900 screen, 2gb ram.

If I can run it medium 1440x900 noaa, 45fps avg I'll buy this early next year. If not, I'll buy it after I get a new PC late 2008.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My specs:

Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
4GB RAM
8800GT Superclocked version (512mb)
WD 7200rpm 16mb cache hard drives
Vista 64

I have every single thing maxed out in the graphics options. I think it only goes to 2xAA, and 16xAF. Using FRAPs I see that I'm getting normally around the 50fps level, with drops down to 30's, and peaks above the 70's. This is at 1680x1050.

The load times aren't too bad, either. The autosaves take the longest. Sometimes I get a load around 30 seconds, normally though they are ~20 seconds, and usually transitions into houses take around 7 seconds or so.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Big Nate said:
Wierd. I've been playing the hell out of it (just reached Chapter 2) on Vista 64 and haven't had a single crash, lock-up or anything. Cut scenes are smooth, etc. Glad you got it working though. This game is turning out to be one of my top games of the year.

What Nvidia drivers are you non-crashers using? I may scale back, because it's being a real bitch and crashing at every menu screen now, but then there are always the added difficulties presented by lv2g. Hooray laptops! (to be fair, this is the only game that crashes).

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
What Nvidia drivers are you non-crashers using? I may scale back, because it's being a real bitch and crashing at every menu screen now, but then there are always the added difficulties presented by lv2g. Hooray laptops! (to be fair, this is the only game that crashes).

169.12 I believe, whatever the latest beta drivers are.

Sylar said:
I'm wondering if my laptop can play it :(...

Specs:
1.6 C2D
2 gigs Ram
8400m GS graphics card

Any help ? :(

Man, I'm not sure. It should run most likely, I'm just not sure how well. My older PC struggled unless I turned the settings way down (P4 3.2ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, x800xt) @ 1680x1050. I'm sure at a lower res and with AA/AF turned off you could probably do it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Big Nate said:
169.12 I believe, whatever the latest beta drivers are.

Hmm, I was using 169.09 which is supposedly more stable, maybe I'll bump up just for the hell of it. I actually didn't have any crashes before going to 169.09 so . . . yeah.

Sylar--what is your 3dMark06? Maybe I'm a sucker for 3dmark but I always have an easier time guessing based on those numbers.

alu

This game is really impressive, not only visually speaking. It is probably one of my favourite games of the year alongside HL2: Episode 2, even though I didn't feel like continuing to play at the beginning of Act 1. What I also love is how it teaches you everything in a very natural manner. I remember just plain ignoring most things that you could do in Oblivion (Alchemy and most magic), but this game makes you want to use everything it has to offer.

I do have some issues with it though. After you have sex with the innlady in the mill, the conversation tree that you had before you did anything with her does not change at all. The combat doesn't work out for me sometimes: Geralt gets stuck on some stupid object while fighting, and you can't reach the enemy for whatever reason. The natural boundaries of the World (Act 1) are really ridiculous: A 1 meter fence. Finally this weird visual style that it puts over any in-game cutscene is something that I really have to get used to still.

But those don't really bother me, that's me just nitpicking, and they don't make me enjoy the game any less. It's brilliant and every PC gamer should play it.

Sylar

Banned
AstroLad said:
Sylar--what is your 3dMark06? Maybe I'm a sucker for 3dmark but I always have an easier time guessing based on those numbers.

Is there a free version of 3DMark06? Also looking at the requirements over at the system requirements lab, I should be able to run it low to medium...I mean, I can run CoH decently and Titan Quest decently, just never very smoothly heh :p

Anyways I hope I can play it. It would be my first PC RPG next to KOTOR 1 :lol .

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just finished it. Wow! This is such a cool game, and I find myself very into the world it presents. It's too bad that only one of Andrzej Sapkowski's books is in english right now (and not available in the states unless you import). I've been waiting for it to come in from amazon.co.uk.

The game is just overwhelmingly packed with content. The main quest lines can be finished pretty quickly, but I did pretty much everything that I could find and the experience ended up being *long*. Halfway through I let myself get distracted by all the big holiday releases, and just came back recently to tackle the second half. The game really could've been half the length and still would've felt complete, so I congratulate the devs for going this far to justify my $50.

Alvin being the final boss took me by surprise but everything fit. Triss I think mentioned that the portals he created were possibly powerful enough to travel through time, and so he did during the attack on the village. His visions led him to see the coming ice age, and uhhh probably bad things happened to him in his childhood after leaving Geralt, to lead him to want to mutate humanity and kill all the non-humans. Major bit of foreshadowing where Alvin is bragging about playing the kill the elf game and he says that he almost always wins, and that he's the "grand master" at it. Haha. Handled quite well. Oh, and "That sword is for monsters..." Wow, poignant!

JRPG-style boss thrown in there for good measure. I think it's highly plausible that they put Death into the game just so Geralt could say, para, "I was worried that it would be chess..." when Death challenges him to a fight.

King Foltest is hilariously badass. Straightforward, pragmatic, not stuffy at all, and a biting wit. Pretty much the opposite of what we come to expect out of that sort of character.

The dialogue fires off a bit awkwardly, but the understated, matter-of-fact nature of 99% of the dialogue in the game leads to an interesting feel to it all. The only sappy, emotional stuff was within
the romance angle. I chose Shani over Triss, simply because Triss was lying to me about the mirror conversation while I was recovering from that battle. Ended up regretting it when Shani was all, "LET'S START A FAMILY I LOVE YOU HOLD ME HEY DON'T TALK SO LOUDLY WHILE THE KID IS SLEEPING" and so I ended up giving her the friend card and breaking it off, haha. Sucks, couldn't make amends with Triss.

I loved the decision angle. I ended up regretting some of the choices I made, which sucks when you made those decisions 20 hours ago, but I'd take that any day over having a "right" choice and a "wrong" choice, or a "good" choice and an "evil" "jackass" choice. The decisions you make *MEAN SOMETHING*, and you often don't know what they mean until later on. The game is also really one big gray area. There are no easy choices, you don't have a bird's eye view of the situation you're in, and you often have to go with a gut feeling based on your particular flavor of morality or worldview. Brilliantly executed.

Combat, on medium, ended up being a bit easy later on. I think this really comes naturally since as Geralt you're a fighter AND a mage AND a body-enhancing mutant alchemist (!). The Witcher really doesn't bother giving you halfassed solutions to problems. Your magic is powerful, your swordplay deadly, and the alchemy can be a borderline cheat code. Whether it's super regen or slow motion super perception or granting huge bonuses to your magic attacks or causing damage to anyone who attacks you, alchemy is versatile and interesting.

*Awesome* opening and closing FMVs, and gorgeous artwork stills that show up occasionally during bits of exposition really added to the experience (I should've had fraps running so I could capture a bunch of shots of them to use as desktops. as it is I only got a few). This is along with the gorgeous overall graphics, varied and fully realized environments (no halfassed cutouts of locations), and superb soundtrack. It really succeeds completely in its presentation with the exception of load times. Well, load times were fine on my system, but save times could take a while, and the combination of the two could get mildly irritating. I have the benefit of a fast PC though.

The Witcher rocks. A lot. CD Projekt RED STUDIO deserves a lot of credit here. Very ambitious project.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
EviLore said:
awesome words

I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much. The more people who play it, the better. It's selling very well in its homeland so I assume a sequel is inevitable. Having just completed Act 1 I'll avoid your spoilers, but so far the game has rocked; I can't imagine how it'll carry on out.

One thing that this game does pretty much better than no other is the overwhelming sense of your characters badassery. The only other games that come close are the God of War series. Geralt kicks insane amounts of ass.

Draft

Thread is too big to dig through: is there yet a way to access the censored content in the US version? I'm not buying unless I can see a naked green chick.

Sylar

Banned
Oh man I'm getting excited for Christmas to play this, but now i'm afraid I can't play it. :lol

I'm still having 3Dmark06 download...stupid college connection is so slow!

Tokubetsu

I have spent the past day or so knee deep in the witcher. After around 12 or so hours, I'm into the second chapter and loving every bit of it. Usually, I tend to look up interesting character builds and what quests to do etc but I feel like this is such an experience I don't want to ruin anything. Even in trying to collect all the female sex cards. I wanted to read up on how to get all of them intially but not anymore, I just want to wing it. The decisions I've had to make so far have been awesome and I loved the dialog following
I chose to save Abigail and all those cutscene between me and her and the towns people were awesome afterwards. Having to justify my decision infront of them and damn them at the same time was AWESOME OH GOD I LOVE THIS GAME.
I haven't picked up Mass Effect yet but I think I've found my GOTY. I feel like, this has been the game I've been waiting for ages in the back of my mind. I'm so glad I got it.

WE NEED SOME AWESOME WITCHER WALLPAPERS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE! <3 <3 <3

I'm having such a hard time containing my excitement and love.

Souther

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I have spent the past day or so knee deep in the witcher. After around 12 or so hours, I'm into the second chapter and loving every bit of it. Usually, I tend to look up interesting character builds and what quests to do etc but I feel like this is such an experience I don't want to ruin anything. Even in trying to collect all the female sex cards. I wanted to read up on how to get all of them intially but not anymore, I just want to wing it. The decisions I've had to make so far have been awesome and I loved the dialog following
I chose to save Abigail and all those cutscene between me and her and the towns people were awesome afterwards. Having to justify my decision infront of them and damn them at the same time was AWESOME OH GOD I LOVE THIS GAME.
I haven't picked up Mass Effect yet but I think I've found my GOTY. I feel like, this has been the game I've been waiting for ages in the back of my mind. I'm so glad I got it.

WE NEED SOME AWESOME WITCHER WALLPAPERS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE! <3 <3 <3

I'm having such a hard time containing my excitement and love.

you want walpapers!!!

Ask and ye shall recieve

http://www.gamebanshee.com/thewitcher/wallpaper.php

Mamesj

Banned
Evilore's post reminded me I have to make this my next PC game. To wash out the bad taste that is Gears of Windows Live.

Draft said:
Thread is too big to dig through: is there yet a way to access the censored content in the US version? I'm not buying unless I can see a naked green chick.

you get to see a couple extra nipples. you can find more nipples on page 1 of a google image search for nipples. and real ones too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Can anyone explain what kind of game this...like give me an example of similar game. Cause the thought of playing a good PC RPG is really what I feel I need after SMG

Souther

Banned
gketter said:
Thanks for the link, i just bought it. After hearing about the game on GFW i'm looking forward to it (except for that one boss Jeff mentioned)

If jeff is talking about the boss i think he is...believe me, It isn't that hard. I think Jeff was overreacting a bit.

Tip: "Blizzard potion" is your friend here.

im planning on picking this up tomorrow and am wondering if you need a powerful computer to run this? or if it atleast looks alright running in low or medium.

my computer pretty much chugs while running Oblivion and playing HL2 ep2 caused some problems (while ep1 was perfectly fine)

Souther said:
If jeff is talking about the boss i think he is...believe me, It isn't that hard. I think Jeff was overreacting a bit.

Yea i was hoping it was something like that. In his story he did mention if he had just a bit of time to prep before the battle he'd have a chance.

Souther

Banned
gketter said:
Yea i was hoping it was something like that. In his story he did mention if he had just a bit of time to prep before the battle he'd have a chance.

As soon as the battle began i hit spacebar to pause. Used the potion and just went right after it. I kinda just ignored anything else going on and went after it.

Most people would tell you to use the "speed" sword style. But i found that using the "power" and just linking them was the best for me.

Goodluck!!

Druz

Souther said:

He wasn't overreacting, theres a little bit of luck involved in defeating him since the AI is a bit random sometimes. They've already pounced on you before the cutscene is even over. I beat him in three tries, first two times dying almost instantly.

Souther

Banned
Druz said:
He wasn't overreacting, theres a little bit of luck involved in defeating him since the AI is a bit random sometimes. They've already pounced on you before the cutscene is even over. I beat him in three tries, first two times dying almost instantly.

The only real luck involved is if you get Stunned by it. And if you recover in time. Dying almost instantly, what lvl were you? I was lvl 9

Also i am playing this on low settings for everything and the framerate isn't even 30 fps i don't think...maybe 20+

and I beat it in like 4 tries. And jeff was saying he wasted like 7-8 hours on the fight. Thats a bit of an overreaction.

EviLore said:
*nod* *nod*
I have everything maxed out but...how does Geralt looks so much better on your pic than on my game?

Also I think I'm buying the CE, I got a press copy but this and NWN2 deserve a buy. If only I wasn't already buying tons of books.

Druz

Souther said:
The only real luck involved is if you get Stunned by it. And if you recover in time. Dying almost instantly, what lvl were you? I was lvl 9

Also i am playing this on low settings for everything and the framerate isn't even 30 fps i don't think...maybe 20+

and I beat it in like 4 tries. And jeff was saying he wasted like 7-8 hours on the fight. Thats a bit of an overreaction.

I didn't have trouble, I completed it around level 8 because I kept getting chain healed, and used group attack to keep the fire dog from hitting me with immolation. Immolation/stun just messes anyone up bad, and getting surrounded keeps you from getting the chance to swing.

He probably was exadurating about 7-8 hours, but it likely did take him hours if he didn't skip the cutscene everytime.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The secret to killing the Beast (the Act 1 boss, for those that don't know what we're talking about) is this:
invest a bronze talent point into the Aard skill of "Stun", which gives your Aard "force push" skill a chance to stun folks. One blast from that, the Beast stands there dazed, and boom, 1 hit kill. The only problem you might have is that it's not a 100% chance to stun him, so if that happens just run around in a big circle until your endurance recharges enough. I downed a Swallow potion at the start to keep my health up just in case, but it ended up not being needed.

EviLore said:
Wow! This is such a cool game,

The Witcher rocks. A lot. CD Projekt RED STUDIO deserves a lot of credit here. Very ambitious project.
Word.

And yes
Foltest is awesome for sounding like a guy who grew up on the street, but I'm pretty sure my favorite character is Thaler, he's just so well written and acted. And I made the same choice on the romantic side, Shani, only I brought the prostitute to the "party" and hilarity ensued, I also killed her grandmother and when she proposed I was like :/ but the conversation with Zoltan&Dandelion that it causes is funny enough to make the on purpose cheese worth it.

I'm going to replay the game on hard this time, should be interesting seeing as how you don't get the visual (sword on fire) icon prompt to chain your hits. I'm waiting for the ~Christmas patch since that is supposed to tone down loading and save times, not that they were that bad on my system but just to make the experience more refined.

Coen

Meh, I tried it, but the game is near unplayable for me. Granted, my PC barely tops the required specs, but other recent PC games gave me some hope (Call of Duty 4 scales great). I'm a bit disappointed because I don't feel it does anything out of the ordinary technically but I guess it's just time for an upgrade. Can't wait to play it though, it looks a lot of fun.

Carm

It's actually pretty easy on hard, haven't even used as many potions as I feared I would have, so far anyway. The flaming sword icon is gone but your actual sword glows a subtle orange for a split second to time combos.

Draft

Mamesj said:
you get to see a couple extra nipples. you can find more nipples on page 1 of a google image search for nipples. and real ones too.
You're trying to rationally argue away my desire for green, naked videogame women? Really?

Think about what you're doing.

MickeyKnox said:
Word.

And yes
Foltest is awesome for sounding like a guy who grew up on the street, but I'm pretty sure my favorite character is Thaler, he's just so well written and acted. And I made the same choice on the romantic side, Shani, only I brought the prostitute to the "party" and hilarity ensued, I also killed her grandmother and when she proposed I was like :/ but the conversation with Zoltan&Dandelion that it causes is funny enough to make the on purpose cheese worth it.

I'm going to replay the game on hard this time, should be interesting seeing as how you don't get the visual (sword on fire) icon prompt to chain your hits. I'm waiting for the ~Christmas patch since that is supposed to tone down loading and save times, not that they were that bad on my system but just to make the experience more refined.
Thaler has got one of the most awkward or worst placed dialogs I've hear on Witcher. After the big dinner when you talk to him after a "certain event" and this is what he says:
"Is that ok?" this is what he first says when you approach him without you having said anything, it makes no sense.
And you got some ambiguous answers as well.

I don't know if it's a misstranslation or simply Atari being cheap with voice acting but this kind of situations happens once in a while.

Sylar

Banned
Coen said:
Meh, I tried it, but the game is near unplayable for me. Granted, my PC barely tops the required specs, but other recent PC games gave me some hope (Call of Duty 4 scales great). I'm a bit disappointed because I don't feel it does anything out of the ordinary technically but I guess it's just time for an upgrade. Can't wait to play it though, it looks a lot of fun.

What are your specs?

Zzoram

Where can you import the UK uncensored version to Canada? GoGamer says it doesn't ship to international addresses and during the State/Province selection, I couldn't pick Ontario Canada.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zzoram said:
Where can you import the UK uncensored version to Canada? GoGamer says it doesn't ship to international addresses and during the State/Province selection, I couldn't pick Ontario Canada.

I believe someone posted a patch that you can apply to get the uncensored version on the NA version somewhere in this thread. Could be wrong, but you might wanna check.

Top Bottom