• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
I believe someone posted a patch that you can apply to get the uncensored version on the NA version somewhere in this thread. Could be wrong, but you might wanna check.

I just searched the thread for the word "patch". Nothing like that was found. If anyone knows about this, please speak up.

Zzoram

I really want to buy this game, but Futureshop doesn't even stock the NA version. Why is this game so hard for Canadians to get?

alu

This game is really great, however it is also one of the most rock-solid games that I've ever played, no crashes, bugs, nothing, and this before applying any patch. So I wonder whether anyone else has had a flawless experience up to this point. This is especially amazing considering how it's an RPG, and it's from Europe (damn you Gothic 3).

Zzoram

Oh, just the uncensored cards isn't what I'm interested in. Apparently some of the text and quests are altered as well. I'd rather have that then some lame cards.

Thanks for the help though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MickeyKnox said:
Word.

And yes
Foltest is awesome for sounding like a guy who grew up on the street, but I'm pretty sure my favorite character is Thaler, he's just so well written and acted. And I made the same choice on the romantic side, Shani, only I brought the prostitute to the "party" and hilarity ensued, I also killed her grandmother and when she proposed I was like :/ but the conversation with Zoltan&Dandelion that it causes is funny enough to make the on purpose cheese worth it.

I invited Carmen to the party too yeah (is there anyone else you can invite? carmen's the only one I found). And yeah, that convo with Zoltan and Dandellion about the Shani situation was gold. Zoltan and Dandellion in general are great. When Dandellion gives this long in-depth talk about cognitive dissonance and Geralt goes "you're full of shit," hilarious.

Tokubetsu

Some minor alchemy help. Im pretty deep into Act II and I can't seem to make anything anymore. I think it's because im missing the bases needed. Isn't it just any alcohol?

Tokubetsu said:
Some minor alchemy help. Im pretty deep into Act II and I can't seem to make anything anymore. I think it's because im missing the bases needed. Isn't it just any alcohol?
Not just any alcohol will work. The formulae will usually tell you the type like a strong high-quality alcohol.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
This thread and the gametrailers review has made me want to pick this game up, before I hadn't paid attention to it at all.

Zzoram

Okay, Canadians can buy The Witcher from NCIX, but the crappy thing is you can't get any shipping cheaper than $10 Express with that item. It's $49.99

I'll probably buy it anyways before they run out, since they don't often restock imported games. Apparently they have the UK uncensored version because The Witcher was not officially released in Canada.

jet1911

Zzoram

Ok I did some reading and it seems the only difference is the lack of boobs on the conquest cards, and the
Dryad's hair covers her breasts in the US version.

I might just save $10 then, if that's all. If anyone can confirm that's all that's different, please do.

White Man

Is there a date on the patch that's supposed to fix loading?

I'm enjoying the game a ton, but between the loading and the numerous little bugs (the camera likes to get stuck on shit. . .usually during combat!) I'd rather wait a bit and play a slightly more refined version. Not like there's a shortage of great games to kill time with.

Zzoram

White Man said:
Is there a date on the patch that's supposed to fix loading?

I'm enjoying the game a ton, but between the loading and the numerous little bugs (the camera likes to get stuck on shit. . .usually during combat!) I'd rather wait a bit and play a slightly more refined version. Not like there's a shortage of great games to kill time with.

Word is, the 1.2 patch is coming December 7th. I'm going to buy it Dec.7th when I hand in my takehome exam since Futureshop is on the way.

Zzoram

Joseph Merrick said:
oh snit. AO rating coming up!

The files replace images/textures, technically you could mod them to be anything.

The Witcher is too low profile to cause stir in the US media anyways, and all the better.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Zzoram said:
Word is, the 1.2 patch is coming December 7th. I'm going to buy it Dec.7th when I hand in my takehome exam since Futureshop is on the way.

Is this patch going to address loading times?

The loading time with textures on high is up to 30 seconds on my system when exiting a house into the first hub unit. It's about 4 seconds with textures on medium, but it looks substantially worse.

Zzoram

FlyinJ said:
Is this patch going to address loading times?

The loading time with textures on high is up to 30 seconds on my system when exiting a house into the first hub unit. It's about 4 seconds with textures on medium, but it looks substantially worse.

They specifically said v1.2 will make loading more efficient, in addition to a couple remaining major bugs. v1.1 was mostly bug fixes.

Souther

Banned
Zzoram said:
They specifically said v1.2 will make loading more efficient, in addition to a couple remaining major bugs. v1.1 was mostly bug fixes.

If thats the case..I think it would be best to wait until the patch is released before applying the
files in that uncensored rar above.

Chrono

Banned
It's tempting to just d/l the game from Direct2Drive instead of importing. Is the uncensored version really worth it?

Is this game mod friendly? I mean did they release some kind of editor? It would rule if people would start creating content for it :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Chrono said:
It's tempting to just d/l the game from Direct2Drive instead of importing. Is the uncensored version really worth it?

Honestly, no. I bought the import version from gogamer.com. Basically, whenever you sleep with a chick it pops this card up on the screen for ya. The uncensored version has nudity on these hand-drawn cards, and frankly most of them are unsexy to the max (Abagail the Witch, I'm looking at you!).

I say don't worry about it.

Big Nate said:
Honestly, no. I bought the import version from gogamer.com. Basically, whenever you sleep with a chick it pops this card up on the screen for ya. The uncensored version has nudity on these hand-drawn cards, and frankly most of them are unsexy to the max (Abagail the Witch, I'm looking at you!).

I say don't worry about it.
Wait till you have sex with a vampire. On the other hand the rest are really good, specially Shani's and there are plenty to catch arh arh

alu

Chrono said:
Is the uncensored version really worth it?

The following contains Spoilers from Act 1 Chapter 2:
I wonder if the green tree-lady is also completely nude in the US version, the one in the druid-camp, because that kinda took me by surprise.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
HK-47 said:
Can anyone explain what kind of game this...like give me an example of similar game. Cause the thought of playing a good PC RPG is really what I feel I need after SMG

The Gametrailers review made it seems a lot like Fable?
Is it anything like it?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
oh snit. AO rating coming up!

I'm continually amazed by the people who get this wrong, even after all of the coverage the games in question have gotten on sites like this.

The games got their ratings changed because the content in question shipped with the game.

That isn't the case here.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
RE: Fable, there are some very tenuous similarities in concept that end at "the game is in roughly the same genre" and "your character can hit people with swords and use magic in real-time." If you somehow enjoyed Fable, The Witcher would probably be an earth-shattering mind-blowing yes-yes-all-over-my-tits experience. Think the gap between Ultima 1 and Ultima 7 and you're approaching how far The Witcher is ahead of Fable.

Woo-Fu said:
I'm continually amazed by the people who get this wrong, even after all of the coverage the games in question have gotten on sites like this.

The games got their ratings changed because the content in question shipped with the game.

That isn't the case here.
It's a joke already. Go cry in a corner.

Zzoram said:
Is it fair to say this is a 40 hour game? Are there modding tools/is there a modding community?
1: Depends, you can probably get through the main quest pretty quickly, but I did all the side quests I could find and spent at least 50+ hours.

2: Mod tools will be coming out soon.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
After some consideration, I think this'll be my GOTY pick in the eventual GAF thread (with Mask of the Betrayer right behind it). I'm totally enamored with the game and I'm resisting the urge to play through it again on hard with different decisions.

Also, improved thread title.

Zzoram

HK-47 said:
Does this game downscale well on less powerful machines?

Min req is 6600 or X700 128mb, and forum reports suggest those can play the game on minimum with all the fancy stuff off at like 1024x768 at a decent (but not good) framerate. Granted, it's an RPG so it doesn't need much more than 30fps.

I've got a 6800 256mb and I'm gonna buy it, probably tomorrow. I hope it doesn't run like garbage, apparently the soon-to-be-released v1.2 patch improves performance a tad and speeds up loading times.

Zzoram said:
Okay, apparently if you have the US censored version, decompress the .RAR and put the files into the DATA folder of The Witcher, and put the localized00.bif in there too, and it'll become the UK version.

http://files.filefront.com/thewitcher+uncencored+usrar/;9194081;/fileinfo.html

thanks, but what exactly does it uncensor?

Zzoram said:
Min req is 6600 or X700, and forum reports suggest those can play the game on minimum with all the fancy stuff off at like 1024x768 at a decent (but not good) framerate. Granted, it's an RPG so it doesn't need much more than 30fps.

well, this answered another question I had about how it will handle on my PC, I guess ill be playing it on minimum

Zzoram

Linkzg said:
thanks, but what exactly does it uncensor?

well, this answered another question I had about how it will handle on my PC, I guess ill be playing it on minimum

1. The Euro version of the conquest cards you get when you have sex with women have breasts, the US version doesn't. Also there's a female NPC somewhere without clothes I think, but the US version her hair covers her breasts. I honestly don't care about that anymore, I thought more stuff was censored.

2. You have a 6600 or X700? Hopefully a 6600GT or X700XT, preferably 256mb versions, as those might get a more solid framerate outdoors. Video memory seems to be a big factor in this game's performance. Also, system RAM at 2gb seems to show a big difference over 1gb.

That being said, a 6600 or X700 128mb should be fine at minimum, maybe a bit choppy outdoors.

Zzoram

Chrono said:
Does that rar file work with Direct2Ddrive?

No idea, if you want to find out, back up a copy of your DATA folder somewhere and apply the replacement files and see if they work, if not, get rid of your now messed up DATA folder and put the backup back in it's place.

Zzoram said:
1. The Euro version of the conquest cards you get when you have sex with women have breasts, the US version doesn't. Also there's a female NPC somewhere without clothes I think, but the US version her hair covers her breasts. I honestly don't care about that anymore, I thought more stuff was censored.

2. You have a 6600 or X700? Hopefully a 6600GT or X700XT, preferably 256mb versions.

I have a 6800 ultra.

Zzoram

Just to note, there are like 3 camera views you can opt to use. One is more of an eagle's eye view like the old Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games had. One is a 3rd person view. I heard there was another but I don't know what it would be.

I plan on playing with the eagle's eye view to get maximum visibility and because it blunts the effects of playing on minimum :lol

Zzoram said:
I envy you. I have a 6800 vanilla. At the time the Ultra didn't seem worth the extra money.

Whatever, Fall 2008 I'm building a godly PC.

dont envy it, my computer has all sorts of problems.

like, in some games there are terrible artifacting problems (HL2+episodes, Portal) but in others there arent any (TF2, Crysis, some others). I hope The Witcher doesnt have any artifacting problems.

I eventually will build a new PC around when Fallout 3 comes out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah I know, it's gamerankings, but it still kinda blows my mind to sort the top rated PC games this year, scroll towards the bottom, and see that above The Witcher. So allow me to vent:

witcherjadeempire.jpg

Zzoram

Here's some performance quotes:

"PC Specs:
--Win XP Home
--3.2 Ghz P4 Processor w/ HT Tech
--128 MB GF 6600 GT
--2 GB RAM
--DVD-ROM
--DVD-Burner

Settings for The Witcher:
--800x600
--Most settings are on Medium (Textures, Lighting, Shadows)
--AA and AF are as low as can go OR are OFF
--Field of Depth is OFF

Framerates:
--Indoors can be anywhere from 30 to 50 frames per sec
--Outdoors can be anywhere from 25-40 frames per sec"

"athlon xp 2700+ Cheesy
1,5gt ram
xfx geforce 7800gs extreme edition 256mb

resolution 1280x1024
high settings
AF 16x
AA 2x